Escape to the Movies: Splice

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Splice

This week MovieBob splices a little bit of this and a little bit of that to review Splice.

Watch Video

lol great vid, can't wait.

But "Chubby Man Fall Down Go Boom" is funny. Hell, I laugh harder than anyone around me when I fall.

EDIT (June 23): Just saw this movie. It's amazing! Why did it bomb so badly at the box-office?

I had a feeling this was going to be a good movie when i saw the previews.

Glad you liked it, Bob. I've been waiting for this for a while now.

One thing that pissed me off though is seeing all the bullshit people have been writing/saying like "This will either be the biggest guilty pleasure of the year or be the biggest piece of shit of the the year"

How exactly? This movie looks fantastic from the trailer.

Sure, it kinda looked a bit like the movie Species, but that movie was fucking horrible! You can't really say a good movie looks like shit just because it kinda is reminiscent of a bad 90s movie.

This film has completely gone under the radar here in england i have not seen even a poster on a phonebox of this film. Never heared of it, but i might check it out.

Do not put commercials I can't skip into my escapist clips or I will stop watching them. You have been warned.

Thanks for the headsup on Splice though. I would've totally skipped a generic sounding movie like that if left to my own devices.

You had me at "this year's District 9".

I have to say I wasn't going to go see this one thinking it would be a failed attempt at what you say it succeeds on.

Problem is I don't like going to movies on my own and everyone I know who I would want to go with me shows no interest in it =(

Since when was putting actual science in Sci-Fi a good thing?

It almost always dates the whole project.

Ugh! the box art/poster reminds me of Chucky. Film sounds good though.

Oh god,poor actress had to shave her head.This movie...ugh,I must watch it now.....damn it.

I've never seen such a poor week for movies at the cinema this year.

I hope it plays in my area. I have a feeling it won't. :-(

I think the fact that Michael Bay is directing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie is scarier than Splice

I had no idea this movie even existed till now, is that bad?

I saw commercials for it on the tele-tube, but at the time I thought it was just another generic sci-fi monster movie. Good to know there's a good horror film I can see in theaters this summer.

Also, I'm actually looking forward to "Get Him to the Greek" solely for Russell Brand in his returning role as Aldous Snow. The only thing I'm worried about is that they're gonna try to use Jonah Hill to get people into theaters by giving him more gags and screen time than the much funnier and more talented Russell Brand.

Aran:
Do not put commercials I can't skip into my escapist clips or I will stop watching them. You have been warned.

That's entirely your decision, but you do realize that ad revenue is how the Escapist makes a lot of its money, right? 15-30 seconds isn't that much to ask, and you don't even have to actually watch/listen to it, just mute it or do something else in that time frame.

This years district 9 you say?
Actually intelligent you say?

Dont toy with my heart Bob, but i trust in our Wisdom until i can make an opinion of my own

I hop it shows at my local cinema otherwise ill have to wait for DVD

I'm not sure if this'll be as big as District 9, though I'm sure time will tell.

Why do I always pick up on minor characters in trailers or movies?
When I watched Star Trek I noticed that they had the guy who played Dr. Beckett in Stargate Atlantis as a one-line role. Or Tony Shalhoub from the TV-series Monk who had a minor role in the movie "Welcome to Gattaca".
And now, I watch this review and see that RODNEY F*****G MCKAY from Stargate Atlantis in "Splice"...... am I weird or what?

I was surprised. I thought, from what I'd seen in the previews, that this was just going to be another schlocky retread of old sci-fi monster tropes.

But...

"Intelligent"?
"Science in Science Fiction"?
"This year's District 9"?

If I weren't saving my pennies for train tickets next weekend, I'd be going to see Splice.

A few quick points:

I would rule it out, because things that aren't ENTIRELY human have to work hard to get me (not impossible though: Liara from Mass Effect). Also, yeah movies suck this month.

And now to my actual point. I understand why you referenced the Human Centipede as it is relevant to the discussion, but as I've pleaded before can we as a culture just...leave that movie where it is? I've gotten slammed with "YOU'RE A CENSOR!!!!!!111" complaints when I've said this in the past, so please don't interpret this as a suggestion that the director shouldn't be allowed to express himself. But the fact remains that there is almost nothing worthwhile about that film, and every time a group of people elect to view it because it's got it's own Encyclopedia Dramatica article or because some guy on Newgrounds did a video game out of it, we are essentially rewarding poor behavior.

Again, I understand why people are watching it, and I'm no stranger to the "OH GOD MY EYES" film viewing (I've seen both Cannibal Holocaust and Teeth and if you're a guy and you haven't heard of Teeth, count yourself lucky) but let's try and keep this from becoming a long lasting cultural thing or (god forbid) a meme. You want a gross out movie that's 100 times better than Centipede? Go track down Slither.

I was not the least bit interested in seeing this movie, it just seemed like a cheesy horror movie, but your review has swayed me. I really want to see this now.

You can't avoid SATC 2. I demand you sit and watch it all and give detailed review. haha.

sephiroth1991:
This film has completely gone under the radar here in england i have not seen even a poster on a phonebox of this film. Never heared of it, but i might check it out.

I can't actually find any cinema listings for it in Birmingham, bit of a shit really

Vredesbyrd67:
I saw commercials for it on the tele-tube, but at the time I thought it was just another generic sci-fi monster movie. Good to know there's a good horror film I can see in theaters this summer.

Also, I'm actually looking forward to "Get Him to the Greek" solely for Russell Brand in his returning role as Aldous Snow. The only thing I'm worried about is that they're gonna try to use Jonah Hill to get people into theaters by giving him more gags and screen time than the much funnier and more talented Russell Brand.

See I feel the opposite, I like Jonah Hill but won't watch this because I hate Russell Brand's style of comedy, I think it's lazy and obviously a poor mans noel fielding

sephiroth1991:

I will 2nd that comment.

I mainly clicked on the review to see what it was lol.

This review actually contradicts what I had heard previously.. and now I want to see it. Hopefully Bob is right. :)

Well, Bob, you didn't really sell me that this wasn't anything more than a B-movie horror film that just regurgitates Frankenstein or Species. Mostly because I can't imagine what the "twist" could be that would make it so interesting.

I think I will pass and Netflix this one.

Axolotl:
Since when was putting actual science in Sci-Fi a good thing?

It almost always dates the whole project.

Dated science will at no point be worse than the techno-babble gibberish movies usually use. At the least by trying to use actual science movies have a shot at relevance, even if temporary.

Looking at the previews it looked stupid and superficial, but I think I'll give it a look now.

I was hoping this movie would be a gem! I will be going to see this movie ASAP.

I saw where you were not happy about Micheal Bay producing Ninja Turtles. Do you dislike all of his movies, or just the Transformers franchise?

Oh fuck yes, I love you MovieBob.

I was ready to hate this movie since the first time I've heard about it in March, I fucking hate the generic "Oh noes stupid human scientists tampering in GOD'S DOMAIN!" plot so many similar movies have when it comes to science as a major plot element.

I fucking hate how a lot of these movies just push that type of agenda.

But if you say it's not like that, I'm actually gonna watch it...

I had thought it a generic monster film, so was going to ignore it. I might watch it now though. For the record, blue alien>mutant human always.

Benj17:

sephiroth1991:

I can't actually find any cinema listings for it in Birmingham, bit of a shit really

According to imdb, it's already been released here back in Apri, albeit at a film festival. There aren't any other UK dates on there. France and Switzerland are 30th June, so maybe it'll be on general release here then.

Very glad you reviewed this other than the crap I knew was gonna be...well crap. It was nice to know that they didn't go into the whole "god's domain" thing and the movie sounds stellar. Thanks for the great review as always.

I would like to this film but not only is my local cinema really really bad in terms of showing quality films, but is nothing but "rom com" BS, I feel even those that do might miss the chance to show this one given the lack of enthusiasm around summer for non-blockbusters in the UK.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here