Escape to the Movies: Splice

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Wow, I'm surprised. The previews for it made it look like a standard B monster movie, but now I'm actually intrigued, I'll probably check it out.

Elesar:

Billion Backs:

I've watched all of the movies you mentioned, and I might have even been one of the "Oh no ohmagawd you're a censor" people at one point, although I might have been talking to someone other then you.

The Human Centipede has already become a meme, and I think it's a good thing. If you don't look at it simply like a gross-out movie, but more of an accidental satire on a lot of movies employing science and scientists as major plot elements, it becomes hilarious. The whole "human centipede" thing was absolutely ridiculous from any scientific stand point, and pointless at that, too.

I spent most of the movie laughing at the sheer absurdity >_<

No that was me. I wish my film reviews on this site got half as much traffic as my incidental commentaries on odd things (most of them related to moviebob...anywho).

My complaints about the movie have less to do with the movie itself and more to do with the whole...thing built up around it. I'd understand if it was a well made film or vaguely interesting but...well Bob put it best. There is absolutely nothing going on underneath the movie itself. There's no exceptionally compelling explanation for why it's happening, it just is. The best film to compare it to is Savage Vengence (look it up).

And that's fine, it is what it is and it can be what it is farrrrrrr away from me. Gross out movies have been part of our collective cultural background going back to the 70's. But the culture seems obsessed with it and keeps shoving it out of the background and into the foreground, which is giving it this lurching unlife. We're already staring down a sequel and if that does well, we'll probably have some imitators and then we get a subgenre, and that's really not an eventuality I want to materialize.

As to your specific comments, if a movie is an intentional satire, fine. Satire is generally awesome. If people are claiming that a movie is an accidental satire, it generally means you're poorly made. I'm sorry, but that's how it is.

Alright, I'm done.

Eh can't blame you for having opinions.

I'm pretty sure the couple that's behind the Human Centipede were intending to make it at least a trilogy before receiving any response. So you can't really stop that =p

I prefer to see "accidental satire" kind of movies as a part of the "so bad it's good" pile. It's funny to watch movies and enjoy all the "wrong" things the makers didn't intend you to. Kind of like enjoying the absolute hypocrisy in glorifying a superhero defeating a villain and destroying a few blocks of buildings full of people while at it. Sure, "the good wins again" and all the crushed people and property damage is swept under the rug.

Things like that simply amuse me.

Edit: So you're doing film reviews, too, eh? I always wanted to try... Can you throw me a link to one of yours?

I wasn't going to see this at first glance. But I will now thanks to you Bob. I hope you are right.

Elesar:
A few quick points:

Again, I understand why people are watching it, and I'm no stranger to the "OH GOD MY EYES" film viewing (I've seen both Cannibal Holocaust and Teeth and if you're a guy and you haven't heard of Teeth, count yourself lucky) but let's try and keep this from becoming a long lasting cultural thing or (god forbid) a meme. You want a gross out movie that's 100 times better than Centipede? Go track down Slither.

Teeth wasn't a gross out movie it was a black comedy

I was already sold on Splice, but if the director from Cube is now involved, I'm triple-sold on it.

Ahh Cube. I can't even remember how many people I had to convince to rent that film. Low-budget, nobody cast, unknown director, and an admittedly weak premise. Pretty hard to talk people into it, but once they saw it, they were mind-blown and thanking me. Not that I can blame them for being skeptical, I'd have probably never seen it if I didn't to see it pre-release because I know one of the actors in it (won't say who).

Eric the Orange:
The premise sounds interesting, but from the trailer it looks to have a lot of boo scares. I HATE boo scares. Because they aren't scary they just startle. And I do not like being startled. That's what turns me off of most horror movies and games.

Sorry, but obligatory...

I'm so startled...

Much like with Kick Ass the advertising made this movie look like just another dumb *Insert over used genre film here*. This review makes me actually want to so see it now that I know it isn't just a Species knock off.

Axolotl:
Not really techno-babble and vagueness people can accept whereas dated science is just laughable. Take Neuromancer, it struggles to be taken seriously when at the beginning a character boasts about having 3 megs of hot RAM. Or an older example, compare Jules Verne with HG Wells, both wrote similar science fiction at around the same time. Jules Verne tried to be scientifically acurate whereas HG Wells never bothered, in modern times Verne's work are far less plausible because of the science used. Look at any golden age Sci-Fi and how they viewed computers.

Scientific accuracy is a stupid idea in science fiction.

Scientific accuracy is the point of science fiction. The fact that people started calling science fiction to fantasy works is a different matter altogether.

Anyway...

Your point stands as long as the work doesn't try to any sort of social relevance at the time of its creation beyond general terms, since it means it would work with vague metaphors at best and a space whale aesop at worst (granted, many of the best works fall in that category).

But if you want to discuss a specific point like, say, the ethics of cloning, either you have a clear understanding of what you're talking about or you just come across as an uninformed douchebag.

However, my initial point was that a lot of the usual technobabble is as laughable, if not more so, than outdated science to the knowledgeable ear. If you're going to commit to technobabble (instead of non-descript vagueness) what's the problem of doing so with some that at least for a while was correct?

Hot damn!
Director/Writer - Canadian
Leading Lady - Canadian of Avonlea
Majority of Funding - Canadian Coloured Currency.

Proud moment to be a Canucklehead.

Benj17:

sephiroth1991:
This film has completely gone under the radar here in england i have not seen even a poster on a phonebox of this film. Never heared of it, but i might check it out.

I can't actually find any cinema listings for it in Birmingham, bit of a shit really

Ditto me. Only in Scunthorpe. Or anywhere for that matter. Motherfucking VUE! How is Sex & The City 2 and StreetDance 3D better than actual quality cinema?

Between this, Ponyo and MacGruber, I think I'm going to have to stop going to the cinema. And start (gulps down pride and conscience)... streaming online. I'm sorry cinema and stupid annoying Matthew Horne who comes on before every single fucking film to discourage illegal downloading, but you should have thought of that before you stopped importing quality films!

As for Splice, I absolutely cannot abide horror movies (because I'm a gigantic pussy). But I'm willing to check this one out. It's got a great looking premise, a very good cast (hey, I'm a sucker for The Pianist) and seems exceptionally worth my time.

Plus, it's this year's District 9. And since that was not just my (Non-Pixar) Favourite Film of 2009 but also my (Non-Pixar) Favourite Film of All Time, I'm pretty much duty bound to see it.

Splice... huh, ok I'm going to watch this one

BTW. Michael Bay and TMNT? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo... WHY?! Where did we go so wrong...

Wow Bob, a bit biased aren't we?

Did you see any of those three movies or did you just judge them on their trailers? Yea, you can't really make those calls...especially as a movie critic.

Sorry now that i got that out of my system (sorry Bob I usually agree with you, but that didn't seem right to me), I doubt it will be as good as District 9 (some of my friends saw it and hated it), but it has a great premise and I would like to give it a try.

I immediately pegged this movie as outrageously ridiculous superstitious crap.

The kind of, "Whoops we dropped some human DNA in that test tube, now we have an invincible psychic demi-god killer" instead of "oops, we contaminated that sample"

I thought this whole bio engineered "oops we made a fucking monster" thing was cliched to the max.

So imagine my surprise to hear this review. Listen MovieBob, you've built up a lot of trust with me over the last 6 months or so, consider this cashing it in. I really hope I don't end up walking out of this movie...

Despite Bob's praise, I think I'm gonna skip Splice. Why? Well, I just don't like horror flicks, and Splice looks a lot like one.

"Chubby man fall down go boom!"...HAHAHAhahaahhaaaaaah. That was hilarious.

But mehhhhhhh T_T I really want to see good movies...only problem is, I SUCK at watching 'horror' ANYthing. I'm pretty much teetering on the edge with this one, dunno if it'll give me nightmares for weeks on end or what, but...well..who knows.

Oh man, I love Cube, I wasn't going to bother with this but I'll have to see it now. And it has David Hewlett who was in Cube and Stargate SG-1 :D

God damn splicers!

Sorry, it's just that I've just looked at two and a half pages of comments and I haven't seen anyone say this yet. It had to be done.

To Moviebob,

I'm never going to watch the TMNT movie Bay is making, I fear it will revive my love for the turtles only to murder it in the same way the Prequels ripped all the interest I had for Star Wars out of me.

Maxi-005:
Splice... huh, ok I'm going to watch this one

BTW. Michael Bay and TMNT? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo... WHY?! Where did we go so wrong...

When we as a nation shelled out hundreds of millions of dollars to see Armageddon...now he is unstoppable.

Xocrates:

Axolotl:
Not really techno-babble and vagueness people can accept whereas dated science is just laughable. Take Neuromancer, it struggles to be taken seriously when at the beginning a character boasts about having 3 megs of hot RAM. Or an older example, compare Jules Verne with HG Wells, both wrote similar science fiction at around the same time. Jules Verne tried to be scientifically acurate whereas HG Wells never bothered, in modern times Verne's work are far less plausible because of the science used. Look at any golden age Sci-Fi and how they viewed computers.

Scientific accuracy is a stupid idea in science fiction.

Scientific accuracy is the point of science fiction. The fact that people started calling science fiction to fantasy works is a different matter altogether.

Anyway...

Your point stands as long as the work doesn't try to any sort of social relevance at the time of its creation beyond general terms, since it means it would work with vague metaphors at best and a space whale aesop at worst (granted, many of the best works fall in that category).

But if you want to discuss a specific point like, say, the ethics of cloning, either you have a clear understanding of what you're talking about or you just come across as an uninformed douchebag.

However, my initial point was that a lot of the usual technobabble is as laughable, if not more so, than outdated science to the knowledgeable ear. If you're going to commit to technobabble (instead of non-descript vagueness) what's the problem of doing so with some that at least for a while was correct?

Here's my thoughts on the whole argument of Techno-babble in fiction:

A quantum-sodomy < accurate (at the time) science < non-descript vagueness
But all of those pale in the awesomeness of "This is my Timey-wimey detector. It goes "ding!" when there's stuff."

The comparison with District 9 is a bit putting off, as this movie was incredible and I don't see anything topping it anytime soon in its genre. I guess I'll still go see it though, if you're so sure about it..

I was looking forward for splice a while now, good to hear that it wasn't dissapointing and hits the proper notes for a scifi. And always good to see more Adrian Brody :), also looking forward to the other summer movie with him in it (Robert Rodriguez and Danny Trejo!).

Anyhow we dutchies have to going to wait for splice, it'll hit our cinemas on 09-09-'10, (even hot tub time machine is still due untill 08-09-'10). But 'great' flicks like killers and PoP are in the cinemas already and shoving their adversitement in our faces (speaking of killers, anyone seen the mike mendez one? hehe strange indeed)

Sorry for you man,

Splice doesn't run around here. Not in the country at all as far as I can see

I wasn't going to see this, because the marketing made it look like a I thought it was going to be another "Progress is EVIL!" sci-fi flick (I'm looking at you, Surrogates!), and I am sick of all the science-bashing, especially as we seem to live in increasingly irrational times. But your declaration has convinced me to check it out.

I'm also hoping Vincenzo Natali hits the big time with this: I've been waiting for him to take-off since Cube!

Wow, I thought this movie was going to be terrible. Even the previews gave me the wrong impression.

Consider me sold, I'll check it out next week.

Is the guy scientist played by the same actor who's Rory in the current season of Dr. Who?

(Rory will be back I just know it, but then again he was to smart a male companion to be traveling with the doctor...what with his general abundance of common sense unlike some people....Don't give me that look Mickey there's a reason Rose dumped your ass)

One question for you Moviebob:

Does Adrian Brody even remotely good in this movie? 'Cause I'm still waiting...

So it's more of a Splice girls reunion?

I'm so sorry...

Interesting.
I may have to go see this film.
That is, next decade when it's available in Europe.

hi moviebob,
just saw your Prince of Persia review (been away for a couple of weeks).

thanks for the apology.

Now I'm going to have to go and see Splice - if I can find somewhere playing it...

This review had me pumped to see this, but then out of curiosity, I looked up The Human Centipede and now I don't think I'll ever watch a movie again.

After being massively underwhelmed by much-nerd-hyped District 9, I'll skip this.

Micheal Bey? Ninja Turtles?

MY EYES!!!

Messing with moviebob's childhood is bad enough but mess with mine and there will be blood Mr. Bey.

Sarcasm, obviously. Still I'm not happy one bit about this.

Woo, Rodney McKay!

Huh, the actual movie looks interesting. Gonna have to give it a look.

Nice to see theres another person whos not in favour of Russel twatting Brand.

You've inspired me to go and see this, may have to go on my own seeing as most of my mates are fond of those "Haha Chubby Man Fall Down Go Boom" kinds of crap.

Bob, regardless of whether or not I think that remaking Species is a good idea for a movie, no matter how good the execution is, you have just become the first guy I've met in the last, say, eight years who actually understands what Frankenstein is about.

Kudos.

You may have just convinced me to watch Species again, just based on "it's Frankenstein done right", and that's a lot of convincing for a five minute video.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here