Escape to the Movies: Splice

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Bob you certainly know your movies and when you say somethings good more often than not your right. I think Im gonna take a risk your word on this and go see it.

I've been very cautiously excited about this since I saw the first red band trailer. None of my friends felt the same way. I feel vindicated, but I don't know if I'll be able to see it now, because my first child was just born two weeks ago. Oh well. Maybe I'll be able to go see movies again when he gets older.

As for "Chubby guy fall down go boom", I'm much less turned off by chubby guy than I am by Amy Winehouse and Jimmy Fallon's bastard child (An overrated, cracked out Brit who thinks he's funnier than he actually is... get it?!?).

I'm suprised.

I'm so conditioned by shitty wanna-be-deep sci-fi movies that I wrote this off as another one that would suck too because of the trailers.

"this year's District 9"

Please stop saying that, Bob. It puts a lot of pressure on the movie...

Sizzo:
Why do I always pick up on minor characters in trailers or movies?
When I watched Star Trek I noticed that they had the guy who played Dr. Beckett in Stargate Atlantis as a one-line role. Or Tony Shalhoub from the TV-series Monk who had a minor role in the movie "Welcome to Gattaca".
And now, I watch this review and see that RODNEY F*****G MCKAY from Stargate Atlantis in "Splice"...... am I weird or what?

No your not, i also picked up on that. And my reaction was the same.

Macflash:
Nice review, but honestly, has movie bob ever said a movie was bad? It feels like he ends every review with 'go watch this movie'. Personally, this movie tends to veer away from all the high brow stuff he talked about, and just goes towards horror movie at the end. It's not bad, but it's not all that good.

Erm, exactly how many of Bob's reviews have you watched? The Robin Hood or Clash of the Titans ones you seem to have missed, as he said they were 'meh'. Then there's The Losers, Alice in Wonderland, Book of Eli, Legion...and that's not getting into any movie he reviewed that starred Megan Fox. Seriously, there's been loads he didn't like, pay attention

I thought this was going to be some generic scifi horror cliche-a-thon.
But from what was said I guess I have to reconsider.

Bay is making a TMNT movie now? What?! Oh god, I can hear it now.
"I'm not making some stupid kid's turtle movie."

This is the first time I ever felt the need to comment on The Escapist...

I think this film was a real let down. It was in no shape or form similar to District 9. Nor was it Pro Science.

It could have been a great movie like District 9 if the story was about why we should treat life forms with human like intelligence like we treat ourselves.

What it was, was this idea that Science is perverse even when it tries not to be.

I might see this movie, but I'm not sure if I should do it as a family movie. It looks like it gets... wrong.

hey bob, are you going to review Tetsuo: The Bullet Man? (i don't know whats going on with the release of that movie) but anyway good review.

XD have to say, even though some claim that they have never heard of this film, I don't want to see it just because I've hear to much of it.

Every day on TV I see a stupid ad for this movie. On DeviantART (Which I do admit I am apart of and even though the fans are a bit.. crazy you have to admit other websites are just as bad) Any time I reload a page, I see a picture of this movie. Every time I check my messages it's talking about the contest for this movie.

Basically I have seen so many ads for this movie that even with your great review, I will heavily debate whether to actually see it or not.

But thanks anyways.

After he started praising it, I was expecting a "just kidding" at any moment. I just didn't expect this to do well. And that TMNT thing? Jesus Fuck. What won't this man ruin? He's a like a better-funded Uwe Boll.

Tarakos:
After he started praising it, I was expecting a "just kidding" at any moment. I just didn't expect this to do well. And that TMNT thing? Jesus Fuck. What won't this man ruin? He's a like a better-funded Uwe Boll.

XD That is so true. Both are so horrible jack asses that make such horrible movies... except Michael bay gets more well known actors.

Though I wonder one which is worse...

This movie looks god awful from the trailer, but then I am highly skeptical of horror films off the bat, hated "Avatar", thought "District 9" was better than average, and thought "Drag me to Hell" was the worst movie I saw in 2009; so Bob and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of stuff.

I will wait for DVD, if I bother to see it then.

I thought the film looked kinda...dumb? But you have kind of slashed through my skepticism when you said "this year's district 9" If it's really THAT good, i'll check it out.

Outright Villainy:

MowDownJoe:
snip

Edit your post, or you'll get suspended or banned. It's happened before, and it should be obvious why. Just saying.

OT: looks interesting, I'll definitely check it out if it ever shows here. (Which I doubt.)

Really? Huh... Strange you can get banned just for stating your browser preference. But whatever... they didn't take action yet, and I removed the offending parts.

And yeah, I stated my beliefs about the Turtles movie on another board, but in general, I can't imagine Mr. "Needs more 'splosions" will make this work.
Now... how soon until the Scott Pilgrim movie hits? I expect a review of that, Moviebob!

I'm going to post spoilers for Splice here because they are

And even if you don't see it, you NEED TO KNOW what happens in this movie.

We'll you've convinced me Bob, I'm going to go see it. Usually when I see Sarah Polley in a trailer it sets off the red flags, "Uh-oh Canadian production, not as well funded, often not so great." Looks like with the addition of Adrian Brody things'll be different this time around.

portal_cat:
I think the fact that Michael Bay is directing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie is scarier than Splice

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OT: Splice looks sweet, cant wait to check it out
Cheers Bob

portal_cat:
I think the fact that Michael Bay is directing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie is scarier than Splice

I think he said producing which means he's just paying for it. Someone else might be the director.

This movie looks good too bad I don't have the heart for these kind of films. Seriously frankenweiner had me skipping out that's how weak I am to this sort of movie genre.

Couldnt agree more.

NOO!!! MICHAEL BAY WILL RUIN ANOTHER ONE OF MY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!!
Fuck you Michael Bay, you couldnt stop at ruining Transformers could you...

So I just saw the movie, and yeah. Yeah. It's good. It will also throw you off a bit.

My friend got a sneak peak and told me not to waste my money on it.

Ugh! The only reason I hope 2012 comes true is that it will rid the Earth of Michael Bay.

Thanks for the review Bob. Now I want to see this movie even more ^_^

Rocketboy13:
This movie looks god awful from the trailer, but then I am highly skeptical of horror films off the bat, hated "Avatar", thought "District 9" was better than average, and thought "Drag me to Hell" was the worst movie I saw in 2009; so Bob and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of stuff.

I will wait for DVD, if I bother to see it then.

Agreed bob hyped the Drag me to hell alot and i found it to be pretty predictable horror film.

Sorry bob but when i see the trailers for this all is see is species clone without natashas boobs to liven it up a bit.

Billion Backs:
Oh fuck yes, I love you MovieBob.

I was ready to hate this movie since the first time I've heard about it in March, I fucking hate the generic "Oh noes stupid human scientists tampering in GOD'S DOMAIN!" plot so many similar movies have when it comes to science as a major plot element.

I fucking hate how a lot of these movies just push that type of agenda.

But if you say it's not like that, I'm actually gonna watch it...

This, 1000%. The Bible actually commands us to "conquer nature". Which is to say that we are MEANT to learn of and thus better appreciate God's craftsmanship; and then use it for our own good. Without harming the craft itself, obviously.

Long story short: The "Don't tamper with GOD'S DOMAIN" moral is a load of bullshit.

Julianking93:
Glad you liked it, Bob. I've been waiting for this for a while now.

One thing that pissed me off though is seeing all the bullshit people have been writing/saying like "This will either be the biggest guilty pleasure of the year or be the biggest piece of shit of the the year"

How exactly? This movie looks fantastic from the trailer.

Sure, it kinda looked a bit like the movie Species, but that movie was fucking horrible! You can't really say a good movie looks like shit just because it kinda is reminiscent of a bad 90s movie.

I admit, the trailer and advertisements have left me thinking "Oh gawd. It's Alien Resurrection Part 2" or "ANOTHER Species movie? Seriously?"

Maybe that will change, but most summer releases have me on guard after last year.

I could probably cry right now and not because MovieBob said it. No offense sir but I have no idea who the fuck you are. I've been preaching and preaching that Splice as going to be fantastic but none of my mates (or family) will take me seriously on it. This film just looks gorgeous in every single aspect and I'm so glad to hear that my speculation isn't wrong.

In other words, I'm still bitter about how wrong I was about Robin Hood.

Would I tap it? No: and curse you Moviebob of asking me such a question.

And lucky for me, I don't delve too far too far into my beloved DeviantArt unless I feel like disturbing some of my internet fellows.

first glance said this was going to be some lame ass movie, but now, I'm off to see it!

I find it amusing how many sites (and this isn't directed at eM per se) that have reviewed/mentioned this movie have a trail of rabid fans all vigorously agreeing with the "reviewer", blindly taking their opinion as law.

Step into my oven, mutton cutlets are on tonight's menu.

Speaking of opinions, I kept having flashbacks to the first Species movie while watching the review. Might watch it at some point, but I won't be holding my breath.

Horny Ico:

Purely for the sake of argument (read boredom), which part of the bible are you referring to? Are you taking the "... And god appointed man as stewards of the earth, and all it's creatures great and small" bit in a different direction in order to suit ends?

There's nothing wrong with the entire "man got in over his head" plot line, it's actually fairly accurate and plays well to a lot of possibilities. Just because it gets used too often or in connection to tripe films doesn't make the premise itself "bad" or inaccurate. Sure it doesn't happen very often (thank god) but you have to admit that humanity's mistakes as a race tend to be pretty spectacular ones.

Pallindromemordnillap:

Macflash:
Nice review, but honestly, has movie bob ever said a movie was bad? It feels like he ends every review with 'go watch this movie'. Personally, this movie tends to veer away from all the high brow stuff he talked about, and just goes towards horror movie at the end. It's not bad, but it's not all that good.

Erm, exactly how many of Bob's reviews have you watched? The Robin Hood or Clash of the Titans ones you seem to have missed, as he said they were 'meh'. Then there's The Losers, Alice in Wonderland, Book of Eli, Legion...and that's not getting into any movie he reviewed that starred Megan Fox. Seriously, there's been loads he didn't like, pay attention

You forgot the full of bleep edition of the Sparkly Werewolf.

*Edit*
I think I might head over to Devient art now.

I wouldn't rule it out either, Bob

I'm sorry, but saying "..it's this year's District 9" doesn't really say much. "District 9" was a mediocre film in my opinion and this film seems to take the classical "let's talk about cloning gone horribly wrong".

Another thing, why would the "We're tampering in God's Domain" be a bad theme? That's how we've essentially f***ed up everything else by going in way over our heads in a shallow attempt at making scientific progress for the sake of human civilization.

Those two ladies don't even register when Tali (Mass Effect 1/2) is on the prowl, Bob!

OT: I'd heard about this movie a few times (TV & Trailers) and had already made plans to see it a while back. I'm now proud to announce that your glowing recommendation has given me a reason to hit the theater sooner. Muffin King away!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here