Escape to the Movies: Splice

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Aran:

obisean:

Aran:

obisean:

Aran:
Do not put commercials I can't skip into my escapist clips or I will stop watching them. You have been warned.

They get paid to show those commercials, and the commercials are pretty essential to keeping the site running. How do you think they earn the money necessary to pay the guy doing the video? Kinda like how you get free TV, and have to sit through the ads. Even Youtube is doing forceful ads before videos now. If you don't want commercials, put up a $20 (I think it's $20) donation to the site, and you will view the entire site completely ad free among other perks.

Joke's on you. I don't watch TV. I buy boxed versions of the shows I'm interested in.

Keyword highlighted.
By buying the box set, you buy your way out of commercials. Just like how I bought my way out of them on this site.

I'm flattered that you're all so keen to see me stay here. I would've thought none would notice one less dude watching clips.

But the thing is if you buy special accounts on the internet all you'll achieve is encouraging more sites to put up forced commercials and offer special accounts as a way out instead of sticking with the non intrusive banners. It's sending out the wrong message.

I don't really care what you do to be honest. Stay, don't stay, do as you will. I'm just pointing out the flaw in your logic behind commercials. I know you don't see it, because it is your logic and you formed it based on the factors you see, but the flaw is there. For example: I point out that free television uses commercials, and you say that you only buy box sets, and when I say I have bought the Escapist "box set" all you have to say is that I am encouraging commercials. Is you buying the box set of your fav TV show and skipping the mandatory commercials really all that different than me buying the Escapist membership and skipping their ads?

I truly think Bay has a check list of all my childhood memories and one by one is ruining them with his shitty movies.....

All thats left is Mario and Power rangers now

i just saw this movie. it was pretty fuckin cool. when u brought up the fly and cube u had me interested. and it delivered intelligent, weird, and all the goodies u want from a film like this. it illicited emotions at odd times and i was like stop making me think or feel this

but yeah, good call, McMovie ZenBobinzee

dathwampeer:

Remember things such as blood transfusion, stem cell research, abortions heck even basic understanding of human anatomy was considered to be (and still is in some cases) a taboo subject, or not for us to tamper with.

FWIW, what I think gets "forgotten" in the current debate over "genetic engineering" is that the only thing we're REALLY arguing over is the acceptable rate of speed at which it's done.

The fact is, we (humans) have been engineering genetics - i.e. taking the reins of the generational evolution of lifeforms rather that "letting nature take it's course" - very likely longer than we've been engineering ANYTHING. At some point in our distant, distant ancestry, some rough-hewn prehistoric shepherd got it in his head that if he made sure that the sheep (or whatever) who produced lots of wool did most of the breeding, he'd increase the likelihood of having MORE solid wool-producers in his flock. And so, for this person's sheep, it was no longer "survival (and procreation) of the fittest" but "survival of whatever the shepherd wants more of." That's genetic engineering.

However many hundreds of thousand of years ago, this individual who's name is lost to history said "No, Fluffy. Instead of mating with whatever sheep you wish like every other sheep in sheep history; you're going to mate with Puffy here, because two extra-wooly sheep parents probably means more extra-wooly sheep babies." This would've been a moment on-par with the decision to take command of FIRE. In that moment, we (humans) ripped the lightning from Zeus' hand and became manipulators of life itself. Every "domestic" breed of animal, to say nothing of COUNTLESS food-bearing plants, are the result of centuries upon centuries of genetic engineering of plant and animal life by humanity. We've even done it, for good or ill, to ourselves - whole civilizations have been "bred" out-of or into prominence by societies that made distinctions between "right" and "wrong" kinds of coupling.

What's called "genetic engineering" now would more accurately be called "faster genetic engineering" - i.e. manipulating organic evolution at the cellular stage rather than by carrying organisms to term and selective breeding. But the basic principal is essentially the same. Obviously, greater precision and care NEED to be enforced when working at such a basic level; but the idea that human beings "playing god" in the realm of life science is IMO absurd - "god" is the first thing we learned to play.

Killers wasn't a third-rate Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It was a sixteenth-rate Grosse Pointe Blank.

And was unintentionally one of the bleakest films I've ever seen.

[sorry double post]

Archangel357:

Yeah, Josef Mengele was a regular champion of humanity. Modern neurology was basically a product of nazi scientists cutting open the heads of live people and going to work on their brains with everything from electric shocks to acid. Doing shit forbidden by metaphysical ethics isn't ipso facto a just and worthy rebellion against the benightedness of the status quo, my friend.

What we CAN do always needs to be tempered by what we SHOULD do. Always. If the world's scientists set their minds to it, we could probably create a weapon that only targets certain genetic traits, thus wiping out, say, black people, or near-sighted ones. Hell, rumours abound that South Africa had been working on just such a project, designed at sterilising the black population, during the Apartheid days. Hell, were NATO to have such a weapon, we'd beat the Taliban by next week. And according to you, we SHOULD build it, am I right? To say that that would be wrong means I molest children and hate gays, right? Who needs such obsolete concepts as "right" and "wrong" any more, when we can have "comfort" and "profit"?

It's not about religion, although hatred of religion is a convenient tool for pseudo-educated douche bags to get all smug and feel smarter than other people. It's about ETHICS. By equating faith and ethics, and dismissing the latter because you dislike the former, you condone everything science does by declaring every criticism against it as an enemy of "progress". That's a very dangerous path to tread.

yes, because pushing boundaries is 100% equal to committing mass genocide and/or sterilisation.
It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to, in misreading (intentionally or not) someone's point in an attempt to completely negate their meaning.

If you go back and read what I said can you honestly think I said anything that would suggest to you that I have 2 absolutes drawn out. And that there are no grey areas?
Of course there are things that go beyond simply pushing the boundaries of human capability, but treading into meglomaniacal grounds. Such as the things you highlighted.

There's a difference between pushing the boundaries of what is socially acceptable, and calling for the annihilation of an entire race of people.
If you can't draw that distinction I think its you who has a problem.

As to what you said about Josef Mengele, you bring up an interesting point. Perhaps the only one you actually made in that comment.
Do the ends justify the means?
This is more where it gets murky. When there's not a clear distinguished line.

Mass sterilisation of a specific race is hardly something someone could argue convincingly for, after-all, what good could it possibly bring to mankind as a whole?
And at the other end of the scale what the likes of Davinci did, by dismembering dead bodies and detailing our internal workings intricately. Which no doubt hurled medical science forward a few decades.

Two different extremes. Both with clear cut lines that anyone with a rational mind can draw.
One is simply a question of breaking tradition and etiquette towards the dead, to enhance our own existence. For the good of future generations.
The other, xenophobia at its best.
There are probably the fair few flimsy arguments towards how it would better humanity in the long run, but in the end it comes down to the fact that what is required to expunge an entire people from our world. That's not a moral quandary, but an affront on the essence of humanity.
Like all living things our basest instinct is the continuation of our species. And unless this particular race posed a real threat to the rest of humankind, then how is there any justification for the idea?

But what the likes of Mengle did, was to experiment on live humans, and ultimately kill hundreds in an attempt to push our understanding of human genetics and heredity forward.
So he destroyed lives, and in turn saved others.
What he helped to discover is no doubt in some way, responsible for a lot of lives being saved now, and of course in the future.
But can what he did to his 'subjects' be forgiven because of its applied uses now?

Surely then this is more a question of methods and practice, rather than the conduction of the research itself?
So if what you suggest is that we as humans should sanction the way in which experiments and research is conducted, but do not totally halt any research that could eventually be beneficial to us, then I would agree.
But this isn't what happens and you know it.

People are to quick to draw distinctions that aren't there. Saying that one kind of research is fine because it doesn't offend any one, but this research is not ok because it conflicts with some peoples beliefs (yet doesn't actually harm any one).
This is what eventually forces people to conduct experimentation in secrecy, hiding it from the populous for fear of reprisal.
Surely you can see my point in this?

It is indeed about religion, not totally, no.
But religion has its hand in the pot more than you are willing to admit.
Take for instance stem cell research which I mentioned in the last comment.
Can you deny that its possible applications could be immense. And that biological sciences and its application in medicine could hit its next boom because of research done in this field?
But because America especially, is a very Christian country, and they believe the taking of any human life is strictly forbidden, and they classify a foetus as a human life. The amount of red tape that surrounds this field is borderline ridiculous.
Scientifically there is a deadline when they class the foetus as a sentient being. And that's because of the increase in brainwave activity it show at that point.
I'm not against ethics when there is a logical reason behind them, I'm against them when there isn't.

But by all means keep calling me names because I don't share you closeted view of the world.

I do not ask that we ignore our morality, just that we accept that our perception of such is subject to time, and to be more open to that fact.
And not to halt progress by blind conviction. Which you know full well does happen.

SharPhoe:

Aran:
Do not put commercials I can't skip into my escapist clips or I will stop watching them. You have been warned.

That's entirely your decision, but you do realize that ad revenue is how the Escapist makes a lot of its money, right? 15-30 seconds isn't that much to ask, and you don't even have to actually watch/listen to it, just mute it or do something else in that time frame.

yeah or just pay 5 bucks

daxterx2005:
I truly think Bay has a check list of all my childhood memories and one by one is ruining them with his shitty movies.....

All thats left is Mario and Power rangers now

lol racist rangers

dathwampeer:
how the deuce have i not even heard about this film. it looks fantastic.
there hasn't been so much as a trailer/poster/mention of it here in the UK.
wtf guys.

does any one know its uk release date?

Sorry if you've already found this out, but my Google-fu tells me August 6th. :)

I'm gonna pass on this in the the theater and maybe wait for DVD. It looks really stupid to me. I know it's supposed to be intellectual but I just have this feeling that this might give me the same feeling District 9 left me with. (I hate hate HATE District 9.}

I'm going to give this a shot Bob. I'm not sure if it's this year's "District 9" but I'm glad it actually sounds like a smart movie.

Saw this last night and was a fairly good movie to see and very interesting. If you want something to talk bout def go see this.

...Wait. Is this movie only available in the US?

I can't find any information on a release in Europe!

Someone, please show that my fear is misplaced. I must see this movie!

Some Sundance movies are put On Demand for free, I hope I get to see this one soon.

I heard that the director for this movie is being brought on to make a film adaptation of Neuromancer. Here's hoping...

I have to say, I saw the movie just based on your review and I am glad I listened. This movie did not dissappoint.

I just saw footage from The Human Centipede.

Damn you Bob for bringing it to my attention and making me curious. I think I'm traumatized.

Furrama:
You people sound all excited, but you have no idea how mind raped you're gonna be when it's over O.o

Especially you girls.

this. the movie made my girlfriend nearly throw up at a couple points. It is a really good movie though. A tad predictable and the ending could have been better but I would recommend it to anyone with an open mind.

Get him to the greek was actually really funny compared to other comedies this year. But yeah gotta agree, this movie is absolutely brilliant.

Sigh, did everyone see the same movie I saw? I thought the entire film was forced, predictable, and just plain sick (mainly in the third act). I'm even a junior sciences student right now and just didn't like the characters, script or the "moral dilemmas" (despite being quite shallow).

Toxilium:
Sigh, did everyone see the same movie I saw? I thought the entire film was forced, predictable, and just plain sick (mainly in the third act). I'm even a junior sciences student right now and just didn't like the characters, script or the "moral dilemmas" (despite being quite shallow).

I definitely watched the movie you watched. The movie has really left me...I don't want to say scarred, but I'm greatly disturbed. The whole third act had me sick.

The movie was horrible and I really rather have it erased from my memory. I really would.

After seeing Splice, I was disappointed after going there fueled by the promise of "This year's District 9." I was expected a small cast of strongly developed and sympathetic characters. What I got was a man who would be passable if his morality was on straight, and a somewhat sympathetic, primarily female character who soon devolved into a deranged, psychotic monster (Dren was pretty bad too now that I think about it).

Joking aside, as I said I was disappointed. The first two acts were the strongest, and I found myself questioning the measure of Dren's humanity, and whether or not it would be right destroying it because of its inhumane origins. Eventually, though, the movie seemed to derail any sympathy towards Dren (and the other main characters for that matter) by demonizing her, taking her beyond sympathy. It was like the movie realized it had to fill some inane horror/slasher quota and make the movie's climax fit accordingly, not to mention exploiting Dren's fetishistic nature.

Part of me wants to chalk this up to science's wild unpredictability, but another part was annoyed by the dismantling of the story's integrity. I'll take the latter part's side. If a character is meant to be sympathetic, it's probably a good idea to preserve that instead of getting rid of it for the sake of thrills and a pointless sequel (stories that are self-contained seem to be a dying art).

District 9 made sympathetic characters out of repulsive creatures you would never believe to be so, whereas Splice just forgot that sympathizing with the unknown and inhuman was possible.

Johanthemonster666:
I'm sorry, but saying "..it's this year's District 9" doesn't really say much. "District 9" was a mediocre film in my opinion and this film seems to take the classical "let's talk about cloning gone horribly wrong".

Another thing, why would the "We're tampering in God's Domain" be a bad theme? That's how we've essentially f***ed up everything else by going in way over our heads in a shallow attempt at making scientific progress for the sake of human civilization.

Well, at least District 9 had a precedent set in the real world (I believe it's based on an incident going on in South Africa) so at least the story and characters felt more real than that other shiny, CGI blockbuster (some remake of Dances with Wolves..) that failed to present a shred of humanity beneath its thick armor of stereotypes and cliche' characters.

As for science = tampering with God's Domain/Nature/Disney Philosophy/whatever...well. I say it's a non-issue; a red herring at worst. To me, we have sciences that support the preservation of that natural order just as much as we have sciences that destroys it.

It just so happens that in real life, the latter sort of science is more prevalent due to politics, greed, and some individuals' (or entities, if I am to treat corporations like people now..) personal quests for more money and power. Human beings by nature seem to want to spend resources to create new artificial objects, or at least modify their environment to their liking.
Material culture goes back beyond written history, and proves this.

Of course, I didn't come here to start babbling about existential philosophy and all that; I'm here to see if this new movie is worth a damn!

samus17:
Have to agree with Frozen Donkey Wheel2 on this one. The first 2 acts are good; however, they do not make up for the absolutely TERRIBLE third act. As stated earlier, you talked about the human centipede's "WHAT AM I LOOKING AT" factor being its only trait. Although Splice has more going for it than that, it falls back into what the human centipede did. Everything got thrown out the window; you know what I'm talking about.

Also one more thing:

I agree with you and Donkey Wheel as well, though I must admit there is the possibility that there are deeper issues at play, even in the "shocking" scenes towards the end. For example:

Don't get me wrong, I think tons of the third act really was just "OH MY GOD MY EYES," I just wonder if there isn't some deeper questions going on at the same time.

Zeikier:
After seeing Splice, I was disappointed after going there fueled by the promise of "This year's District 9." I was expected a small cast of strongly developed and sympathetic characters. What I got was a man who would be passable if his morality was on straight, and a somewhat sympathetic, primarily female character who soon devolved into a deranged, psychotic monster (Dren was pretty bad too now that I think about it).

Joking aside, as I said I was disappointed. The first two acts were the strongest, and I found myself questioning the measure of Dren's humanity, and whether or not it would be right destroying it because of its inhumane origins. Eventually, though, the movie seemed to derail any sympathy towards Dren (and the other main characters for that matter) by demonizing her, taking her beyond sympathy. It was like the movie realized it had to fill some inane horror/slasher quota and make the movie's climax fit accordingly, not to mention exploiting Dren's fetishistic nature.

Part of me wants to chalk this up to science's wild unpredictability, but another part was annoyed by the dismantling of the story's integrity. I'll take the latter part's side. If a character is meant to be sympathetic, it's probably a good idea to preserve that instead of getting rid of it for the sake of thrills and a pointless sequel (stories that are self-contained seem to be a dying art).

District 9 made sympathetic characters out of repulsive creatures you would never believe to be so, whereas Splice just forgot that sympathizing with the unknown and inhuman was possible.

Got to agree. If this movie wanted to be clever, engrossing, and satisfyingly entertaining like District 9, well, then I think it must have been very confused about how to try doing that.

I'm intrigued by the concept and the presentation seems top notch but I won't be seeing this?

Why?

Because Dren creeps the ever loving piss out of me.

Why HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS MOVIE!?

God, I really hope it plays in a theater near me. otherwise Imanna have to get a copy on DVD. It looks pretty effin' Sweet.
And... yes, I would.
Not really surprising, I'm getting to a place of dangerous desperation.

EDIT: also human centiped. Not gonna see it. I already use up this years supply of brain bleach. when my "friend" told me to go to that'snotsexy.
gaahh! just writing it reminded me! Brain bleach! brain bleach!

Great! Another good movie I will never convince my girlfriend to go see...

Marowit:
Sounds awesome!

One question though: Is there a sex scene?

For whatever reason sex in movies immediately turns my girlfriend off of movies. Like we went to go see Watchman and she seemed to be enjoying it until the sex scene, and she checked out. Needless to say it was awkward.

Anyway, I'd really like to see this movie, and I wanted to ask to see if I can bring her along or if it's a movie I should see by my lonesome.

there is 2. the second one is the MOST FUCKED UP THING i've ever seen.

I didn't get the whole clive & elza thing. Would anyone mind explaining it to me?

Shankity Stick:
I didn't get the whole clive & elza thing. Would anyone mind explaining it to me?

In the movie "The Bride of Frankenstein", Dr. Frankenstein is played by Colin Clive and the titular bride is played by Elsa Lanchester. "Splice" contains many general ideas that are, from a certain point of view, very similar to those in "The Bride of Frankenstein". Is that what you're talking about?

Julianking93:
Glad you liked it, Bob. I've been waiting for this for a while now.

One thing that pissed me off though is seeing all the bullshit people have been writing/saying like "This will either be the biggest guilty pleasure of the year or be the biggest piece of shit of the the year"

How exactly? This movie looks fantastic from the trailer.

Sure, it kinda looked a bit like the movie Species, but that movie was fucking horrible! You can't really say a good movie looks like shit just because it kinda is reminiscent of a bad 90s movie.

The movie looks fantastic from the trailer... there's your problem there. So many movies are completely different from the trailers. The trailer for Splice made it look like a horror movie, it honestly did, while the real thing wasn't scary at all. Not because I didn't find it scary, but because it wasn't even trying to be. Honestly, Splice was a creative and intelligent idea let down by the filmmakers going for the shock value. It was entertaining and you'll never see anything like it again, but in all honesty it wasn't that great. Definitely not the best movie of the year, despite what MovieBob says. Kick Ass was better, The Book of Eli was better, even Repo Men was better. If anything, see it for the spectacle and the creativity and if you're not easily offended. It was an example of a movie that could have been great, but didn't really go anywhere with the great ideas that it had.

I just saw the movie and I have to say good review Bob. If I say what's really on my mind I'll ruin the plot for everyone, so I won't. Good luck future viewers!

This movie has not been advertised around where I live and barely any of my friends even heard of it. Then again, I think where I come from (Singapore) has very odd release dates for some movies. (Eg: The Crazies is just on the COMING SOON status besides the fact that I have seen it on DVD already...)

Anyway, this review has got me on the look out for this movie, looks good!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here