Escape to the Movies: Splice

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

We shall not tamper in God's domain.

Two of my friends saw it, whos tastes run pretty similar to mine. Both said this was utter shit.

Both the main characters are morons who constantly make the wrong choice. I refuse to see it on the basis of being an actual scientist and don't want to sit through another bastardization of what I do every... god ... damn... day.

When you are paid to NOTICE stuff... shes an utter failure as a scientist. Brightest stars my ass.

Movies like this tend to suck more often than not, way not to disappoint me splice!

Though I do like going to these kinds of movies for the sheer enjoyment of going "wrong, wrong... yep thats wrong too. No way in hell... wrong. Possibly, but wrong".

skraeling:
Two of my friends saw it, whos tastes run pretty similar to mine. Both said this was utter shit.

Aren't your friends scientists, and thus far more sensitive to moments of Art Major Biology than 99% of the population?

Both the main characters are morons who constantly make the wrong choice. I refuse to see it on the basis of being an actual scientist and don't want to sit through another bastardization of what I do every... god ... damn... day.

The characters made the wrong choices because they were reacting emotionally, not scientifically. Actual, focused scientific work is kind of complimented by not being hated on.

When you are paid to NOTICE stuff... shes an utter failure as a scientist. Brightest stars my ass.

Dren was not her subject, she was her pet, her surrogate daughter, her legacy, and her woobie before she turned into her competition. Which is why she didn't 'notice stuff'. Excessive emotional investment in the wrong areas.

Though I do like going to these kinds of movies for the sheer enjoyment of going "wrong, wrong... yep thats wrong too. No way in hell... wrong. Possibly, but wrong".

If you like the movie so much that you can sit through it and point out the flaws all day, why don't you marry it!

Full disclosure: I have a BS in biology and this movie is probably just about the best Hollywood's done so far. Hey, Art Major Biology, again.

AvsJoe:
lol great vid, can't wait.

But "Chubby Man Fall Down Go Boom" is funny. Hell, I laugh harder than anyone around me when I fall.

That was my fave bit, and the review was great as well of course.

portal_cat:
I think the fact that Michael Bay is directing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie is scarier than Splice

I agree. This abomination must never come to pass! Michael Bay must, for the good of all turtlekind, perish! Semi-seriously, though, someone should stop him from ever making another film. Perhaps even resorting to violence if necessary.

Pretty good. Probably not this year's District 9, since the ending degraded into typical monster movie content.

A big problem is that everyone on these forums are focusing too much on whether or not the movie has the whole "no messing in god's domain" aspect, and then reductio ad absurdum from there.

No, the real thinking part of this movie should land on the whole "would ya" concept. Sure the weird sex scene was predictable, but unlike Avatar or Species, there are some heavy morality questions involved. What was Dren to Clive? A creation, a girl, a monster, or a daughter? That's what made this movie so different and thought provoking.

Also, the character depth isn't about whether or not the scientists made the smart decision, but rather on how their opinions and positions drastically changed; Elsa turns from the caring mother into the heartless boss, while Clive learns to treat Dren like a person instead of an experiment that can be easily terminated.

sephiroth1991:
This film has completely gone under the radar here in england i have not seen even a poster on a phonebox of this film. Never heared of it, but i might check it out.

Yeah same here in Norway,it looks pretty cool, pretty sure I will go and watch it.

But they had Dr Rodney Mckay. Did they even bother to ask him for help, he would have fixed it all in an instant.

Seriously, I didnt know anything about this apart from the poster, and seeing that had a face on it that looks a lot like Chuky I thought this would be a mindless horror, however it looks quite interesting although havent seen this advertised in the UK.

Leave it to Bob to point of gems that would've been drowned in horrible movies otherwise. Thanks, Bob, for being here for me when I need a friend.

Epoetker:

skraeling:

Aren't your friends scientists, and thus far more sensitive to moments of Art Major Biology than 99% of the population?

This is an idiotic statement. The professions of any of the trio described in the first quoted post have nothing to do with the disposition of the rest of the population. Either the second poster is extremely unaware of how people view science, or his or her emotional reaction to a shitty film has caused him or her to dissemble.

Epoetker:
Full disclosure: I have a BS in biology and this movie is probably just about the best Hollywood's done so far.

So it's the latter. This quote tells us two things:

* The poster's BS in biology taught him or her little about, well, science.
* The poster has never seen a science fiction film that hasn't involved the Zuckerman Brothers.

So not only is one of Splice's enthusiasts stating things about this dreadful schlock that aren't true, we now have someone who's denigrated every science fiction film ever made. So Alien, Predator, The Thing, 2010, Blade Runner, and, hell, even realistic pieces like the Andromeda Strain and any near-future thriller -- they had less to offer humanity than a movie about biologically-impossible, thermodynamically-impossible fucktoy.

Epoetker:
The characters made the wrong choices because they were reacting emotionally, not scientifically. Actual, focused scientific work is kind of complimented by not being hated on.

No, the characters made the wrong choices because they were amateurishly written. What must be made clear here isn't that the characters made the wrong choice, but that the characters made choices -- in deed and dialogue -- that made absolutely no sense whatsoever. They were obvious puppets of the writer. At no point do you understand why a decision is made. It's not that they're merely stupid -- they're comically impossible. They fail at science only because they fail at peoplehood.

Frankly, you'd have to be ridiculously immature not to notice the simple lack of humanity in the characters.

Epoetker:
If you like the movie so much that you can sit through it and point out the flaws all day, why don't you marry it!

Um, yeah -- this is what I was talking about.

Btw, "god's domain" had fuck-all to do with this movie. It didn't have the philosophical sophistication of a snuff film -- it speaks about science in the same capacity that Monty Python and the Holy Grail speaks to women's issues in the Medieval Europe.

This is an idiotic statement. The professions of any of the trio described in the first quoted post have nothing to do with the disposition of the rest of the population. Either the second poster is extremely unaware of how people view science, or his or her emotional reaction to a shitty film has caused him or her to dissemble.

This is a revealing statement. The 'extreme third person disidentification' seems to indicate that I hit the nail on the head perfectly when guessing that your friends were scientists. And that the movie offended you deeply. Eh, well. Most movies that are scrupulously truthful offend someone.

So it's the latter. This quote tells us two things:

No, no, no, you're doing 'knowing interpretation' all wrong! You analyze the writing STYLE, not the writer's claims!

* The poster's BS in biology taught him or her little about, well, science.

Wow. What particular branch of science did YOU study that let you claim biology isn't a science? Psychology? Symbology? Da Vinci Code Mastery?

* The poster has never seen a science fiction film that hasn't involved the Zuckerman Brothers.

Who?

So not only is one of Splice's enthusiasts stating things about this dreadful schlock that aren't true, we now have someone who's denigrated every science fiction film ever made. So Alien, Predator, The Thing, 2010, Blade Runner, and, hell, even realistic pieces like the Andromeda Strain and any near-future thriller -- they had less to offer humanity than a movie about biologically-impossible, thermodynamically-impossible fucktoy.

Oh, I see. You're mad because you're a WOMAN, and the whole sex and reproduction angle was so appallingly honest and true-to-life that you're trashing everything about the movie, lest people take any lessons from it. Too late.

No, the characters made the wrong choices because they were amateurishly written. What must be made clear here isn't that the characters made the wrong choice, but that the characters made choices -- in deed and dialogue -- that made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The characters made fucked up choices because they had led fucked up lives, especially Elsa. Real people are likely to have fucked up lives.

They were obvious puppets of the writer. At no point do you understand why a decision is made. It's not that they're merely stupid -- they're comically impossible. They fail at science only because they fail at peoplehood.

You fail at understanding this movie only because you fail to have known enough people to recognize them in others. Clive and Elsa are real people that I've met in different guises in labs, emergency rooms, and universities, though I'll admit none were as photogenic as the Hollywood version. We were all idealistic teenagers once, I suppose.

Frankly, you'd have to be ridiculously immature not to notice the simple lack of humanity in the characters.

Frankly, you'd have to be ridiculously inexperienced at life to not notice the way the failings of the characters are essentially human. But Splice is a movie for grown-ups, little girl.

Btw, "god's domain" had fuck-all to do with this movie. It didn't have the philosophical sophistication of a snuff film -- it speaks about science in the same capacity that Monty Python and the Holy Grail speaks to women's issues in the Medieval Europe.

A 'snuff film.' Right. Because a film about an acid-blooded alien that bursts out of people's chests and grows to an enormous size before killing everyone with no discernible motivation is totally a scientific movie and not a snuff film. Because a movie about an alien that can turn any animal or human into a gigantic tentacled monstrosity with poorly-defined powers that kills everyone gruesomely for no special motivation is totally about science and not a snuff film. And the various violent apocalyptic scenarios in those other movies you mentioned that reveled in various bloody deaths and psychological tortures had absolutely no elements of snuff films in them and were completely about SCIENCE.

Little girl, or more likely little moralizing nerd-boy (eh, we were all that once...) who's substituted large amounts of violence for any amount of sex, if you must remember something, it's that the motivations of men and women are a wee bit different in life. Also remember feminism is the worst thing that can happen to anyone, male or female.

Alright, now I have a movie to go see... but it haven't premiered here yet.

Lets see, if Hot Tub Time Machine is to premiere in at least a couple of weeks...

Then I'll only be able to see this movie in 2011?

ARGH!

On a side note, I thought the review was for a completely different movie I didn't care for (and thus, the late comment), but you must excuse me for my country translates movie titles really, really awkwardly. Hung Over was translated as "A Night Without Equal", Hot Tub Time Machine was translated as "Hung Over"...

Wedlock49:
So how many other people saw all the Freudian overtones?

Not as many as there should have been obviously.

People seem to forget that psychology is also a part of science.

Dr. Danger:

Wedlock49:

As much as I like psychology I wouldn't call it a real science, there's too many variable in the method for you to be able to judge it.

Sciences can help you get a better understanding of psychology however.

i just checked out the cube....all i can say is......holy shit

great movie

RockTalk21:

keserak:
Thought I'd bump this.

This is my first post on the escapist, though I've read it for some time. Felt the need to mention this.

Movie Bob's observations on this film weren't merely wrong or tasteless -- they were outright lies.

It's mind-boggling. It's like it was opposite day.

-The film's science was awful and would turn anyone off science. Bob said the science was good.

-The ending -- well, go look for a spoiler. Seriously -- do a net search and dig one up. It's pure shock value for its own sake. Warner Brothers cartoons have more internal logic and are less banal and vile. And worse -- it's not unpredictable. If you expect the movie to try to shock you, you expect the ending. And the middle, but I digress. Bob said the ending was good, and it wasn't.

-To say the characters were unrealistic would be a god-awful understatement. This is worse than fanfiction by pre-teens. There's like 6 characters and the writer couldn't manage that. Bob praised the characters and it was undeserved.

I get the feeling -- this is guesswork, btw -- that this movie pushed Bob's emotional buttons so he made up for its massive shortcomings by imagining a film that didn't exist. It's sort of what we do with action flicks; we know they're silly, but they're fun, so we don't put them up to a rigorous coherency standard. As long as there's narrative logic, or dream logic, there's logic enough.

But I think most of humanity's emotional buttons are set up like Bob's.

As such, this flick won't give most of its audience the high Bob got, so the rest of us will see only only its resemblance to a particularly noxious bowel movement.

I'm serious: spoil the ending for yourself.

From now on, when Bob gives a contentless review, we should assume the movie's a worst disaster than we could have even imagined.

Back to lurking.

Couldn't agree more.

Quoting for Truth. Now I want him to take back what he said about Book of Eli even more. He was clearly biased in that review.
Just like this one made him lose his mind and call this D-9. It's a remake of Species, that is all.

Dr. Danger:

Wedlock49:

It was a part of the science but every time they came to discuss, in depth, why you rationalize, or how...the plot would skip to Dren 'leveling up' again. Or something else having a gender change...
Seriously rent it, rewatch it, and see if you know anything about the main character's family experience beyond a few sentences. The absolute lightest treatment on characterization. And not in a good, minimalist way.

This was a mediocre movie.[ardent defender of Neon Genesis Evangelion Freudian ]:P- ]

keserak:
Thought I'd bump this.

This is my first post on the escapist, though I've read it for some time. Felt the need to mention this.

Movie Bob's observations on this film weren't merely wrong or tasteless -- they were outright lies.

-The film's science was awful and would turn anyone off science. Bob said the science was good.

-The ending -- well, go look for a spoiler. Seriously -- do a net search and dig one up. It's pure shock value for its own sake. Warner Brothers cartoons have more internal logic and are less banal and vile. And worse -- it's not unpredictable. If you expect the movie to try to shock you, you expect the ending. And the middle, but I digress. Bob said the ending was good, and it wasn't.

-To say the characters were unrealistic would be a god-awful understatement. This is worse than fanfiction by pre-teens. There's like 6 characters and the writer couldn't manage that. Bob praised the characters and it was undeserved.

I get the feeling -- this is guesswork, btw -- that this movie pushed Bob's emotional buttons so he made up for its massive shortcomings by imagining a film that didn't exist. It's sort of what we do with action flicks; we know they're silly, but they're fun, so we don't put them up to a rigorous coherency standard. As long as there's narrative logic, or dream logic, there's logic enough.

As such, this flick won't give most of its audience the high Bob got, so the rest of us will see only only its resemblance to a particularly noxious bowel movement.

From now on, when Bob gives a contentless review, we should assume the movie's a worst disaster than we could have even imagined.

Back to lurking.

We just finished watching Splice (rental), and I agree with what you've said.

The movie actually had an interesting enough start that really began to escalate my interest, but by the middle-to-end, it fizzled out and digressed into nothing memorable for the right reasons like D-9. No, instead the only memory that will remain with me concerning Splice is the "shocking" element, which, as keserak noted, is something you see from a mile coming. A year from now, if you were to ask me about Splice, my best description would likely be "What. The. F---."

Due to its predictable outcome, the big scenes that were supposed to leave an impact did not come off as shocking, so much as "WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF! That is NASTY!!!" and just creepy. As we were watching the movie, I can quote myself as saying "She has a tail!!!!", and any who are familiar with the movie's plot points can probably guess where I said that.

The characterization was also notably sub-par as every other character is remarkably unlikable, which is hurt further by how few of them there are to begin with.

Well just saw this movie and boy, Freud would have blast watching this. What a mindfuck. I recommend it but not if youre in anyway squemish. This thing rips taboos open and shows them down a dungpile.
If this thing had been a blockbuster, many moralf's would be raging all over the place for this, in their desperate need of attention.

Xocrates:

Axolotl:
Since when was putting actual science in Sci-Fi a good thing?

It almost always dates the whole project.

Dated science will at no point be worse than the techno-babble gibberish movies usually use. At the least by trying to use actual science movies have a shot at relevance, even if temporary.

yeah plus the techno jargon stuff seems to get dated way faster when there's some alternative invented to the silly fictional device/science/creature being portrayed.

At least it will make it funnier a few decades from now.
"wow they actually thought human cloning was bad back then? And they actually thought the creature wouldn't be able to talk for some reason? Wow people were stupid back then."

This movie was good, but nothing special, and it was a little far fetched, they were keeping Dren like two rooms apart from the fucking rest of the lab. How the fuck did she know that Clyde was watching on the screen, why did she kill that cat?. Why did Elsa throw all her maternal instincts out the door when Dren attacked her, I thought motherly love was unconditional. When did Clyde stop hating Dren, and why oh why did it try to be Jeepers Creepers in the last 15 minutes. District 9 of 2010? Not quiet. It was a B-Movie through and through,a good B-Movie but a B movie none the less.

Once again my viewing of a movie has been delayed due to grad school. I just got this via netflix and I must say it was quite awesome.

Gahdamn sploicers!

I greatly enjoyed the film for all the reasons Bob mentioned...until the last five minutes. The end felt like a huge cop-out. Splice wrestles some good questions -- can man overcome his unthinking rejection of that which is alien, can a child be better than her parents, could you ever really trust anyone who had a deadly weapon as part of her anatomy, etc. -- then throws away all that annoying cerebration and becomes Species in the final scene. Tragically dumb ending to a great smart film.

derelix:

Xocrates:

Axolotl:
Since when was putting actual science in Sci-Fi a good thing?

It almost always dates the whole project.

Dated science will at no point be worse than the techno-babble gibberish movies usually use. At the least by trying to use actual science movies have a shot at relevance, even if temporary.

yeah plus the techno jargon stuff seems to get dated way faster when there's some alternative invented to the silly fictional device/science/creature being portrayed.

"wow they actually thought human cloning was bad back then? And they actually thought the creature wouldn't be able to talk for some reason? Wow people were stupid back then."

The line between fiction and science is not at all clear. Ever notice the word "DNA" has magical powers? The way you make something sound scientific in a movie -- regardless of how foolish, unrealistic, or overused the premise may be -- is just to throw the word DNA in there somewhere. A great example is Fantastic 4: "The cloud has fundamentally altered our DNA." I'm sorry, remind me what little spirals of chemicals have to do with shooting fire out of your hands? I rather thought that was the kind of thing a wizard would do.

Good but tried idea - but in the end this movie was utter sh*te.

Sorry but you are all wrong.

By the last third the movie went bat **** crazy and I want to wash my eyes with bleach.

Moviebob you are so wrong on this one. So damn Wrong.

As for someone eles's comments (above) I don't care if this is the 'best' Hollywood can do for bio-sci fi type horror. It's pure fail.

Johnny Impact:

derelix:

Xocrates:

The line between fiction and science is not at all clear. Ever notice the word "DNA" has magical powers? The way you make something sound scientific in a movie -- regardless of how foolish, unrealistic, or overused the premise may be -- is just to throw the word DNA in there somewhere. A great example is Fantastic 4: "The cloud has fundamentally altered our DNA." I'm sorry, remind me what little spirals of chemicals have to do with shooting fire out of your hands? I rather thought that was the kind of thing a wizard would do.

Well to be fair, it's not hard to imagine fire shooting being linked to a change in DNA.
DNA is basically everything about us. In a world where only food can be poison, the idea of spitting poison would seem like "wizardry" but it's made possible through a creatures' biology.
Obviously what we saw in Fantastic 4 was idiotic but the idea of a living thing being able to shoot fire isn't so crazy when you consider that certain chemicals can create fire when mixed and that animals can naturally produce chemicals.

That's the great thing about science fiction, it's fiction but it's also possible in some crazy way.

The more you learn about our world, the more the boundaries of what we call "reality" disappear.

Johnny Impact:
I greatly enjoyed the film for all the reasons Bob mentioned...until the last five minutes. The end felt like a huge cop-out. Splice wrestles some good questions -- can man overcome his unthinking rejection of that which is alien, can a child be better than her parents, could you ever really trust anyone who had a deadly weapon as part of her anatomy, etc. -- then throws away all that annoying cerebration and becomes Species in the final scene. Tragically dumb ending to a great smart film.

Exact same thing I thought. In fact I thought everything after the

SPOILER!

Sex change was just them turning a smart sci fi into a horror movie. It makes sense though, you can't expect a smart movie to sell so you make the beginning and middle smart (the parts the smarter people will remember) but end it with an idiotic slasher retread (the ending being the only part stupid people will remember, so they will think they loved the movie by the time the credits roll even though they zoned out until the thing got big and naked.)

Johnny Impact:
Snip

Its all really in the genetics and the mutations that people take. Pretty much everything living today is mutated to help it. So while you may not be able to tweak DNA to make it happen, if it happened in nature, I'm pretty sure scientists would want to splice it to normal DNA and make babies who carried the gene, making a new advancement into the human species.

Lusulpher:

RockTalk21:

keserak:
Thought I'd bump this.

Back to lurking.

Couldn't agree more.

= It's a remake of Species, that is all.

It's so adorable when young little posters agree with random people online about movies they have never even seen.

Yes it is like species at a certain part but the rest of the movie isn't even close to species. That's like saying Predator was a ripoff of rambo. Actually, rambo was closer to predator than species is to splice.

Just saw this movie. It was a good movie but man if it isn't seriously messed up in so many ways. Incest Bestiality Rape anybody?

Poor Dren. Poor poor poor Dren.

Saddest. Movie. Ever.

to quote barney calhoun, "I still have nightmares about that cat"

Just finished this one. It blew my mind, though it loses points for killing a cat!

Also what the fuck was the deal with the sudden sex change? I liked Dren more while she was a... she!

I just watched Splice for the first time and did anyone else notice that when she spelt out Tedious with the Scrabble Tiles that Tedious is and Anagram of Outside (or maybe its vice versa) but still

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here