The Final Fantasy VII Remake is a Fantasy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

This article makes some strong points as to why making a game is hard, but fails to take into consideration the radical changes that have taken place in gaming world since 1995. You say FFVII had a $30 million budget back in 95 and that the price to build a game has jumped 10 fold. That would put a remake at $300 million. Modern Warfare 2 made $310 million in the first day and then went on to over $1 billion in sales. Back in 97, FFVII was a system seller. I, and many others, went and bought PS1's just to get our hands on the revolutionary game. Even the pos FFXIII sold PS3s just so people could get the prettier visuals. If they made a remake of the game, threw in some DLC, a FFVII remake could rake in billions. So it would be a lot of work. Throw $700 million in for programing and redbulls and make a few billion in return.

You shame the escapist with this article without taking this point into consideration.

Just putting this out there...

Why is it assumed that a remake will move millions of units?

I'm not a marketing expert, and I'm not prepared to spend thousands of dollars doing market research, so I can't make a claim either way.

That said, I think that it's worth remembering that any project has risks attached, for example what if the remake fails to live up to fan expectations, or doesn't capture enough non-fan sales?

Considering the capital that's required there are huge stakes involved.

stop trying to make excuses on behalf of squeenix. Seriously Squeenix is capable of such a remake, and in HD quality as well. They just wont ever admit it or come clean about it, in fact if square was so willing to let FFVII die then why would they milk the franchinse with a full legnth movie, what about all the other games such as before crises, crises core, and Dirge of cerberus? Not to mention their teaser of the FFVII tech demo. Squeenix is building hype toward a game they can devlop if they choose too, hell Square stopped two remake projects of chrono trigger and they were looking pretty impressive with dialogue and spell graphics. If a small group of people are capable of making this with close to no budget imagine what Squeenix can do with a very massive team and a super big budget.

its a shame that this project came into alpha testing only for square to slap them with a CND order. That reference was used with the Unreal 2.5 engine. Square is sitting on gold and they know it, and all the excuses about having no resources and being to much is a bunch of crap and the comunity knows it.

What I don't get is what's the big deal with older graphics, I mean they aren't that bad and if a game is generally fun and you want to play it, that shouldn't hold you back, but then again I'm a gamer that is kinda used to play older games from time to time and I can even enjoy pixelgraphic so I guess I don't count.

Shamus Young:
Experienced Points: The Final Fantasy VII Remake is a Fantasy

Square-Enix isn't lying when it says a Final Fantasy VII remake is practically infeasible.

Read Full Article

Guy's got a point. SQ somewhat brought this unto themselves for even making the dang tech demo. Is like waving a carrot in front of us,and years later, when we finally do get it, we're punched in the belly. At this point I really don't if those punks made a FF7 remake. It'd be nice, but ultimately, it's just not a good idea.

It's not that I disagree with you or anything, but I do think this is quite an exaggeration.

Yes, modern games takes lots of money. Yes, they take lots of time. Yes, they take lots of work. But they still get made. Open world games get made, all the time. Look at GTA IV- that was a huge open world, and an equally huge amount of work, but it got made, and in a hell of a lot less than FORTY YEARS.

A new FFVII doesn't have to be as long as the original to make fans happy. I think that's what Square Enix was missing with FFXIII. That is the only video game I literally picked up a book to distract myself from. In the middle of a battle. And when I looked up a chapter later, I still hadn't lost. You know what? I don't even buy that they didn't have time to make an open world. If they had actual bothered to spend any time paying attention to those "little" details like plot, pacing, or concise dialogue, maybe they would have had time to make an actual game between the 87 or so (I'm sure very expensive and time consuming) cutscenes the game puked on me every other battle until I gave up- because FFXIII didn't just throw out a book's worth of cutscenes, it threw out a novel-length Twilight fanfiction worth of cutscenes. They were badly written and worse, entirely unnecessary.

Square Enix could make FFVII on current consoles, I have no doubt about that. They would, however, have to go about it in a reasonable way. It would take planning and common sense and they might have to settle for rendering slightly less than every individual hair on every single character and go back to making games instead of 50-hour long movies.

All I heard was "Oh there's so much stuff that would have to be done and I don't think they'd want to put in the effort"

I'm not a game developer, I don't know much about creating 3D models or textures. But I am an animator, and I know that making all those animations for the characters would take quite a bit of time, but not forever. A regular 90 min animated movie (2D or 3D) takes about four years to complete.
On a different note, motion capture? They use motion capture? Seriously? Shame on those animators for being lazy. I find motion capture the equivalent of directly tracing your reference.

And while complex story development and voicing for a game as story driven as VII may be ambitious, it certainly isn't stopping a certain other company from doing full and unique VO for their upcoming RPG.

The remake paradox is a tricky one. People cry for a remake and then hate the end product, no matter if its faithful, if its been updated or whatever. Look at the new Goldeneye and how fans are crying "foul" about that one.

OK, we get it. Making a video game is hard, painstaking and time devouring. These are true items, now lets take a look at some things which are also true. Square-Enix is a multi-million dollar company (and this is an understatement). FFVII came out over 10 years ago. How long do you think it will take Bunjie to squeeze out another Halo title? Certainly not that long, there would probably be riots, but more importantly it would kill them financially to sit on their thumbs. Lets say for a moment that YOU are Square-Enix, and it is within your direct power to make a FFVII a reality. Why would you sit on your golden egg for over a decade? The resources are definetly there, skills and finances. Square-Enix has yet to produce a valid argument. The age of the Consumer must be dead or dying, becuase I think SE has let the money suffocate thier sense of social responsibility. Banging on in their defense is making you look like a corporate fanboy. They have had ample time, and the only thing that has come of it has been several badly drawn out milkings(Excluding Crisis Core) of the original.

On the subject of animations, you mentioned that the character Vaan from FFXIII took X amount of time to make, well here's an idea; how about instead of burning dvd's SE could make a real game? Instead of one the almost qualifies as a Japanese Visual Novel in full 3D (minus the tits).

Take your 3D animator excuses and put them in the same place you got your stock options at, who knows? Maybe you'll even get brownie points!

I would like to see some proof that FF7 remake would indeed be the success that people claim it would be. Of course there is a loyal fan base, but I think that people over estimate how many old players would buy the new game.
So, if you really want to insist that it would rake billions, give some proof.

As for churning out graphics; FF7 was bigger and built differently then modern games. Changes in layout and environments would be in order, which would become a problem for the old fans of course. Characters aren't so easily re-used from the movies by the way. Most likely, they need to be remade from scratch.

Then there is a problem with gameplay. Gameplay has evolved since FF7. What was considered cool and good gameplay back then is not always the same as what is good now. Turn based battles get used much less now because they become tedious, long and boring for players fast. Oh, you may like them, but many other people do not...not anymore. But what is the solution to this? Change those gameplay things, and let the old fanbase cry foul, or do not, and turn away potential buyers?

The best bet would likely be a sequel to FF7...but then again, it will be a problem-project because many people haven't player the original FF7 yet, so aren't interested in a sequel yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if you empathised with what I'm about to say...

I would be fine if they didn't reconstruct the game for this generation of consoles, but I would love it if they just gave it a face lift. Why not chuck an Escape from Butcher Bay? (the Chronicles of Riddick classic that was re-released with various aesthetic upgrades as a package with Assault on Dark Athena) Take the old game and don't do a thing to it outside of updating the textures/lighting?

If people really love FFVII, then they would be perfectly happy with the game being in 2D with just better animation, better sound (possibly voice acting if it could be made to work - partial would be fine by me) and particle effects/textures/shaders/etc. I love classic game engines. Look at Super Smash Bros. and it's sequels - the game is basically a 2D platformer/fighter with 3D models put in. That game looks wonderful in it's way and people don't say "yeah it's great but I'd love some motion capture put in here..."

Summing up here, I think that it'd be a dream come true to have FFVII re released for PS3 as a straight upgrade of the old game - not a total reconstruction - and would buy it in seconds. People shouldn't whine if they can't get the game in full 3D... when you think about it, modern games are generally shit in comparison to last gen games and fully 3D FFVII would probably be a sin.

maybe they just don't want to make another one?

i mean, remakes suck. there's no story development, just something we've all seen before. if they just said "we don't want to redo what we've already done, we want to move forward." then I'd be willing to put this to rest.

Aww poor fan-tards crying their game isn't being made. The truth is most of you idiots pitching a hissy fit for FFVII with better graphics is because you discovered the game ten years after the fact through one of the damnable spin offs or the PSN download. You whine because all you care about is shiny new 1080p, you're too lazy to read, and you don't like using you brain to fill in emotional responses for the characters in your head. God forbid gamers are forced to think in this day and age, or worse use your imagination. I'd bet my NES collection that half of you don't know the difference between black label FFVII and greatest hits. If you want to see Cloud and the rest of his androgenous fairy boys run around in high definition while not requiring you to think, rent Advent Children on blu-ray.

MikeTheMugger:
OK, we get it. Making a video game is hard, painstaking and time devouring. These are true items, now lets take a look at some things which are also true. Square-Enix is a multi-million dollar company (and this is an understatement). FFVII came out over 10 years ago. How long do you think it will take Bunjie to squeeze out another Halo title? Certainly not that long, there would probably be riots, but more importantly it would kill them financially to sit on their thumbs. Lets say for a moment that YOU are Square-Enix, and it is within your direct power to make a FFVII a reality. Why would you sit on your golden egg for over a decade? The resources are definetly there, skills and finances. Square-Enix has yet to produce a valid argument. The age of the Consumer must be dead or dying, becuase I think SE has let the money suffocate thier sense of social responsibility. Banging on in their defense is making you look like a corporate fanboy. They have had ample time, and the only thing that has come of it has been several badly drawn out milkings(Excluding Crisis Core) of the original.

On the subject of animations, you mentioned that the character Vaan from FFXIII took X amount of time to make, well here's an idea; how about instead of burning dvd's SE could make a real game? Instead of one the almost qualifies as a Japanese Visual Novel in full 3D (minus the tits).

Take your 3D animator excuses and put them in the same place you got your stock options at, who knows? Maybe you'll even get brownie points!

When in the high holy hell did creating a video game (an BUSINESS you slack jawed mouth breather) become a social responisibility. Where in the 9 circles of the unholy abyss did you get such a convoluted and unearned sense of self entitlement?! Do you honestly think Square Enix gives 2 shits about your opinion? If a company that established and successful doesn't feel a remake is warranted they aren't going to make one. Do yourself a favor, all of you, (especially the ones decrying that "wahh corporations are mean") and go to a doctor to have your head removed from your ass.

Birthe:
What I don't get is what's the big deal with older graphics, I mean they aren't that bad and if a game is generally fun and you want to play it, that shouldn't hold you back, but then again I'm a gamer that is kinda used to play older games from time to time and I can even enjoy pixelgraphic so I guess I don't count.

You good sir or madam count more than you could possibly know, because deep down you actually like games! Graphics don't bother you, story doesn't bother you, all that matters is that the game is fun to play. Bust out the SNES, the colleco vision, turbo graphix 16, SEGA Genesis, N64, whatever. Thank the lords of gaming in the realm of Arcadion that there are still gamers who know what it means to be one. It's not about big budgets, the "hot titles" and the vomit inducing hype fests. It's about dropping a game into the console playing till the wee hours of the morning and walking away with that awsome feeling of post boss fight satisfaction.

MegaSlaan:
Aww poor fan-tards crying their game isn't being made. The truth is most of you idiots pitching a hissy fit for FFVII with better graphics is because you discovered the game ten years after the fact through one of the damnable spin offs or the PSN download. You whine because all you care about is shiny new 1080p, you're too lazy to read, and you don't like using you brain to fill in emotional responses for the characters in your head. God forbid gamers are forced to think in this day and age, or worse use your imagination. I'd bet my NES collection that half of you don't know the difference between black label FFVII and greatest hits. If you want to see Cloud and the rest of his androgenous fairy boys run around in high definition while not requiring you to think, rent Advent Children on blu-ray.

You're being a tad harsh mate.
Having been born at a time so VII was one of the first games i played, i appreciated it for the graphics, and i know many friends who have old nostalgic games they played on ps1 or earlier. However, when trying to play games they liked when they were younger, i couldn't get into it. Having a shallow nature when it comes to games is unfortunate, but a large percentage of the gaming population have it. It's something that game developers can't work around and has led to the degrading of gaming as a whole in terms or story, at least in terms of the FF series.
A bonus of re-making this game would be the introduction of it to an entirely new audience and would allow the game itself to survive, much like releases these days. And when it boils down to it, i'd rather melt down and destroy the millions worth of games that no-one bought or enjoyed to have a re-make, because as games come, that's one i'd enjoy have in this generation of gaming.
That said, i can see why it won't happen, and i can accept that. You however, shouldn't feel the obligation to tell people to accept it, as that's something that will either come to them, or they'll stay stubborn and ignorant about the topic forever. All you've done by making that post is bring yourself to a level of the self-piteous fan-boy by mocking them.
And advent children is to a FFVII fanboy what X-2 is to FFX fanboys.
One last thing, if your views are completely against the FF series, which you pretty much underline in your post, why would you bother posting in something that doesn't concern you, OTHER than to make an ignorant and self-righteous post?

How about a re-release? They could go along the same lines they have with others of the FF series. Place the game in a collectors package with a few other games, that works well on new systems. Add one or two upgraded cut scenes and leave it at that. Or even just place the PS3 tech demo at the front and attach the game to the end of it. Its a matter of placing the game back on the market. For those people who don't have it, or have lost it, there is no way to purchase the game. If nothing else it might remind some of the audience of what they love about the series, and if square is lucky, silence some of the screams for a remake.

i can understand completly why they wouldnt make a BRAND NEW Game with all of the things the ps3/xbox have nowadays, but why not just put the old one on a new disc and rerelease it for a much reduced price. So that we can play it on the systems.
I know that the ps3 has a downloadable version, but the Xbox 360 is just hanging.

astfgl:

twcblaze:

Nimbus:
I get that it would be expensive, but I still don't see why it would be more expensive than, say, making a new final fantasy game (E.G. FFXIII) from scratch, and considering it would probably sell crazy good... I'm still not seeing why not.

look at the differences between the two games, 7 had the entire overworld you could explore at just about any time, it had hundreds of characters you *could* interact with at (again) almost any point in the story, and most of them had changing dialogue.

there's a reason they've taken out the airships and running around the world map in the later games, the same reason they've bogged everyone down into the "run through this straight corridor to get to your next objective" linearity that everyone hates... exploration's expensive and time consuming.

By that argument, every future rpg (at least from square) will be as empty as FF13, because populated cities and world maps are too hard to do. It also calls into question how something like Fallout 3 is managed, what with the huge map, many interactive characters and changing dialogue.

1) Fallout 3, while being a great game, had pretty poor graphics. And lousy animation. And a lot of bugs. That was the sacrifice they had to make in order to make the gameworld that large and free-roaming. And that was fine, I enjoyed Fallout 3. But fallout 3's graphics are not as good as FFXIII's. Not by a long shot. Neither was the animation for that matter. Fallout 3 also had a hell of a lot of re-used environments, character models, and objects.

2) Your argument that if FFXIII cost that much to make, then all other RPG's in the future would be like that, is an argument from consequences, which is a logical fallacy. Just because you don't like the idea that future RPG's will resemble FFXIII, doesn't mean that it will not happen. FFXIII is the only JRPG that has graphics to that high a level - so your argument about hypothetical future games cannot be used here.

And it doesn't have to go down that route. As I've said, Fallout 3 did not. It put open world and quests and speech above graphics, and in my opinion it made the right call. But FF games are always known for their graphics. SquareEnix thought that putting out a more open world with less impressive graphics, would do more damage to FF's image than releasing a much, much, MUCH more restrictive and sterile world with fantastic graphics.

As tech moves forward, and computers advance, perhaps it will be possible to reduce the cost of creating CGI worlds, so that developers can focus more on crafting the soul of a world, rather than its look. But that's a way away into the future.

Haakong:

Shamus Young:
snip

the problem is that everyone is under the assumption the FFVII fans wants "cutting edge" graphics, superior voice acting and epic CGI... why do they think that? what most of us want is just to see the game without "squares-twice-the-head-size" as hands and cooler combat animations. give us graphics thats just good enough so we will understand which areas are accessible and which arent.

we dont even need the CGI, most of the cutscenes in FFVII were pretty lame, and could easily just be done with the regular game's graphics.

voice acting isnt needed either, and frankly, i dont want it. like its been stated before on escapist, all thats needed is voice in...lets say... combat. a few quotes. so we get the idea what they sound like. then we just keep the text. we will just read it in the voice we heard. there, 10-20% of the budget saved.

we want a game that we can show off to our family and friends, making them actually want to sit down and watch you play it/play it themselves. a prime example of this is FFX vs old FF. my gf was a semi-gamer when we met, and ive introduced her to all my favourite games over the time weve been together. the hardest part was getting her into old FF. i knew she would love it (her being a major fantasy book fan), but she only wanted to play FFX, because "the characters looked so cool". i spent so many hours convincing her to start with FFVII or FFIX, and once she managed to look past the crappy graphics, she was hooked.

had FFVII had "ok" graphics, she wouldve chosen that without even looking at FFX. we dont need a game in full CGI, we just need a game where the characters arent some monocolours mashed together to look like a human. use ps2 graphics for instance! is this so hard to understand?

its annoying to see that so many game developers dont get what their customers really want.

But not all fans want what you want. If SquareEnix did just release a straight, no-frills port with only minor upgrades in graphics, it would probably be a commercial flop. Time has not been kind to FFVII, and they can't just rely on nostalgic fans anymore. Think about it, the video game industry has grown very large in recent years. You have many, many, many video-game players out there who have NEVER played FFVII. I myself only got around to playing it in 2005 when I found a used copy selling for 10 dollars. FFVII came out in 1997. It's 2010 already. Someone who is 20 now, was only 7 years old then, and most likely would NEVER have played FFVII.

So that's another reason why Square won't remake FFVII: If they just do a rush job to please the nostalgic fans, they'll find themselves with a limited audience. And no company will do that - if they make a new product they've got to find a way to make it appeal to more than a core audience that is rapidly dwindling (as you get older, you do find yourself caring about games less and less). If they sink in enormous costs to make the graphics all shiny shiny, then they also have to remake the mechanics and the environments to appeal to the new audience, again because time has moved on and the original FFVII just doesn't cut it anymore. You might be able to leave out voice actors, sure, but again, I played FFVII in 2005 and I found the script pretty appalling, not to mention most of the over-world horrendously samey and underpopulated. If they're going to make a game that can appeal to the newer generation of gamers, then they'll have to put a lot of artistic effort into making additions to the game world.

Fans, understand this - you don't exist in a vacuum where the games are only for you. Even those who played FFVII when it came out don't necessarily care for a remake. Newer gamers don't care at ALL. YOU might be happy with a graphical upgrade, but SquareEnix is a company and a company exists to make money (like it or not, that's how they work). If they thought they could make money off this as easily as you think they could, they'd have done it by now. No company hates money after all.

Take a few business courses, and then you'll understand that a FFVII remake is not as economically sound a venture as it might first appear to be.

And not only that - but a lot of the fans of the original FFVII have jobs now, or are undertaking higher-education. They don't have a lot of time. I don't have a lot of time. I just finished my Master's degree and during my research project I had almost no time to play games. FFXIII took me 2 months to finish because I was working in the lab from 9am to 6pm (or even 8pm) regularly. But even a 9-to-5 job puts stress on a person, and limits how long they can play a game for. Many of the old fans no longer have the time to play FFVII - so square will have to make it appeal to new fans, and as I've repeated time and time again, the mechanics of FFVII are pretty shoddy. So was the overworld for that matter. So was the script. It's nostalgia that makes you see it in a perfect light, and us younger gamers (I'm 22), just don't have the same nostalgia that older fans have.

Any remake of FFVII would be a SIGNIFICANT INVESTMENT. Yes, I think the claim that it would take 40 years is hyperbole, but it would take at least more than 2 years. Probably 6 years to be honest, if they wanted to do a good job. It would cost millions of dollars, and you might say that's small, but no amount of money seems large WHEN IT'S NOT YOURS.

SquareEnix is a big company that is responsible to its shareholders. The idea that they want to spite their fans is ludicrous - no company willingly does that. Companies are generally huge, emotionless, money-making machines, and you can't logically imbue them with human emotions and motivations, other than greed.

In short, why should SquareEnix devote resources to a project that will cost it quite a bit, and on which they can't be sure will result in a generous return? Making new FF games is a much sounder, much less risky endeavour. Remaking old games for the sake of a few fans is NOT a sound business move, and although it might make them money, it's not the rational thing to do.

And all good businesses should be rational.

Korolev:

Haakong:

the problem is that everyone is under the assumption the FFVII fans wants "cutting edge" graphics, superior voice acting and epic CGI... why do they think that? what most of us want is just to see the game without "squares-twice-the-head-size" as hands and cooler combat animations. give us graphics thats just good enough so we will understand which areas are accessible and which arent.

we dont even need the CGI, most of the cutscenes in FFVII were pretty lame, and could easily just be done with the regular game's graphics.

voice acting isnt needed either, and frankly, i dont want it. like its been stated before on escapist, all thats needed is voice in...lets say... combat. a few quotes. so we get the idea what they sound like. then we just keep the text. we will just read it in the voice we heard. there, 10-20% of the budget saved.

we want a game that we can show off to our family and friends, making them actually want to sit down and watch you play it/play it themselves. a prime example of this is FFX vs old FF. my gf was a semi-gamer when we met, and ive introduced her to all my favourite games over the time weve been together. the hardest part was getting her into old FF. i knew she would love it (her being a major fantasy book fan), but she only wanted to play FFX, because "the characters looked so cool". i spent so many hours convincing her to start with FFVII or FFIX, and once she managed to look past the crappy graphics, she was hooked.

had FFVII had "ok" graphics, she wouldve chosen that without even looking at FFX. we dont need a game in full CGI, we just need a game where the characters arent some monocolours mashed together to look like a human. use ps2 graphics for instance! is this so hard to understand?

its annoying to see that so many game developers dont get what their customers really want.

But not all fans want what you want. If SquareEnix did just release a straight, no-frills port with only minor upgrades in graphics, it would probably be a commercial flop. Time has not been kind to FFVII, and they can't just rely on nostalgic fans anymore. Think about it, the video game industry has grown very large in recent years. You have many, many, many video-game players out there who have NEVER played FFVII. I myself only got around to playing it in 2005 when I found a used copy selling for 10 dollars. FFVII came out in 1997. It's 2010 already. Someone who is 20 now, was only 7 years old then, and most likely would NEVER have played FFVII.

So that's another reason why Square won't remake FFVII: If they just do a rush job to please the nostalgic fans, they'll find themselves with a limited audience. And no company will do that - if they make a new product they've got to find a way to make it appeal to more than a core audience that is rapidly dwindling (as you get older, you do find yourself caring about games less and less). If they sink in enormous costs to make the graphics all shiny shiny, then they also have to remake the mechanics and the environments to appeal to the new audience, again because time has moved on and the original FFVII just doesn't cut it anymore. You might be able to leave out voice actors, sure, but again, I played FFVII in 2005 and I found the script pretty appalling, not to mention most of the over-world horrendously samey and underpopulated. If they're going to make a game that can appeal to the newer generation of gamers, then they'll have to put a lot of artistic effort into making additions to the game world.

Fans, understand this - you don't exist in a vacuum where the games are only for you. Even those who played FFVII when it came out don't necessarily care for a remake. Newer gamers don't care at ALL. YOU might be happy with a graphical upgrade, but SquareEnix is a company and a company exists to make money (like it or not, that's how they work). If they thought they could make money off this as easily as you think they could, they'd have done it by now. No company hates money after all.

Take a few business courses, and then you'll understand that a FFVII remake is not as economically sound a venture as it might first appear to be.

wow, reviving an old very interesting topic! yay, and kudos to you!

on topic: youre talking as FFVII would be released as a top notch x360 or ps3 game, and from that view i totally agree: a half baked version of an aged jrpg wont be an extreme moneymaker.

thing is, today we got so many alternatives for releases: psp, ds, xbox live and so on. when you buy a game from here, you dont expect to get the new modern warfare or god of war. releasing it on these platforms are the ones im refering to.

i do also realise not all share my views. but you cant dissagree that my idea got some truth to it. many will be curious, many will buy it out of nostalgia and many will buy it out of recommendation. alot i know havent played old classics and wont ever be able to play them (legaly) because the platform doesnt exist (for a sane price).

you clearly didnt enjoy FFVII, which i respect, but you must also understand many dont share your view :D jrpgs are a big market (hell, look at all the crappy ones that gets spewed out every week), and an average jrpg will sell well, especially if it got the FF brand.

as for a few of your qoutes:
-"as you get older, you do find yourself caring about games less and less": the average gamer is 35 year old male.
-"Newer gamers don't care at ALL": my gf and all my friends ive introduced to FFVII care to dissagree with ya :D
-"If they thought they could make money off this as easily as you think they could, they'd have done it by now. No company hates money after all": the creators of hellgate london dissagree with you :D jokes aside, companies and their project leaders arent all economical geniuses (though all project leaders ive had, thought they were). blizz almost lost a good share trying to implement the real-ID, but withdrew it learning it would be a major fault (something they DIDNT anticipate). sometimes listening to the sheeple pays of, nomatter how clever you think you are.

I'm a 3D Environment artist and have alot of experience doing 3D modeling, lighting, and texturing for video games..I use Maya and 3DS Max for modeling, photoshop, zbrush, and mudbox for texturing, and various game engines similiar to the Unreal editor for setting up the game assets in a game engine...

Yes, it would be hard for them to make a remake of this game that had the same graphical quality as FF13, but what they could do, so that the graphics don't overwhelm them, is to find some middle ground and have the cutscenes be of FF13 quality, but then have the world and environments be similiar to like FF 10 or FF 12, which I think most people would agree that those games looked very good even by todays standards. Alot of the graphical improvements that are so graphic intensive are used to create realism and tiny details that most people don't even really notice as there playing through the game....example..do we really need to see the pores and fine details on the hero's skin and face?
Anyhow, there is alot they could do to make the game still look fantastic and be a significant upgrade in graphics from the PS1 version...

Technology I don't think is the biggest obstacle in getting a remake done, but rather the final fantasy creators who seem to be very set in there ways and less concerned about gameplay and ridiculously obsessed with pushing the graphics to new boundaries that are becoming less and less noticable.

MJB

P.S. I'm really enjoying the latest Dragon Quest game but have no idea how they fit so much content on that tiny DS cartridge...hmmm

I'd just be happy if it had FF8 quality graphics. Get rid of the boxing glove hands, unless you're making Leggo FF7 (Hmmmm....) and fix the Japanenglish ("Off course"). FF12 was proper 3D and had plenty of interactable people in cities: give me that.

I this this guy who wrote this is a dumb ass. Remake the game! I don't care if it takes 10 years. Even tho 10 years is an exaggeration it will pay off for square enix. Stop analyzing and whine on how much work it is, just do it! The author has too much time on his hands.

Why is it that if you want a a FF7 remake your automatically dubbed as a ranting fan-boy? Im a big fan of the FF series but i dont own FF lunchboxes or any other shameless series endorsed products. I like the games so i buy the games so i can play the games. Thats simple gaming economics not fan-boyism.

In terms of ranting I think I have a right to be annoyed by how SE has been handling this. If your not planing on doing a FF7 reboot then say that your not and leave it at that instead of "unfeasible" or "not at the moment". What were they thinking when they unveiled the updated intro cutscene? Did no one at SE think "hmmm maybe if we show an HD version of a cutscene from a game that has one of our biggest fan-bases people will start to wonder what the actual game would look like in HD". Then there was the build up to the FF7 10 year anniversary celebration in 2007, again did no one at SE think "maybe a HD cutscene which could be viewed as a glorified trailer being released only a year before the anniversary might be seen as a sign that a reboot in the works". And then what did they do for the anniversary? 1x shitty movie, 1x cellphone game that never left japan and 1x semi-decent PSP game.

Finally to the argument that if graphics arent important then just play the original, I have the original and i find it unplayable, i find the cutscenes laughable rather that dramatic plus i cant really identify with a character that has stumps for hands. Now dont get me wrong im not a gamer that needs state-of-the-art-OMG-graphics, i still enjoy playing FF8&9 and i still enjoy their visuals. But it would be nice to play FF7 without cow hooves for a hands and everyones outfits looking like they are trying to defeat Sephiroth in their PJs.

My idea of a good remake would be more of the old-school FF sprite charters done in cell-shadeing or something similar to Shank. I dont need to be able to see a characters each individual hair strand moving in the wind with realistic physics and motion capture, just a redesigned charcter model with some basic level of detail, opposable thumbs might be a good start. If profit is such an issue why not make it episodic and have the first 'chapter' available on the PSN as a trail run.

I understand the whole "cost crisis" here, but then wtf? How is it possible that they make games today??? If the "cost crisis" (both monetarily and worker wise) is the reason for not remaking this game, then wouldn't it be reasonable that games would cease to be made??? Anyone understand what the heck I'm sayin, cause it makes total sense to me.

cvsound43:
I have the original and i find it unplayable, i find the cutscenes laughable rather that dramatic plus i cant really identify with a character that has stumps for hands.

this statement made me lol uncontrollably HAHA

Low Key:
It's not that I think they are lying about it taking a while to make, I just think they are making too big of a deal about it for a game that they say will never happen. If it truly is dead, they should treat it like yesterday's news.

Personally, I don't care. I don't play JRPGs. I just happened to read the story the other day and came to the conclusion that they are talking out of their asses about development times because they wanted to throw fans off their guards. If they aren't talking out of their asses, they need to be straight forward with how they answer the question from now on.

Really nice post.. Nice Game also... Love it so much

Sorry to engage in a massive "necro" here, but I ran across this article today and -- while its general point is sound -- this statement gobsmacked me:

Shamus:
The sad truth is that all of these resources are worthless. "Writing the script" is such a minuscule part of the work that needs to be done that it's hardly worth considering. We're talking a hundred hours of work versus hundreds of thousands of hours of work.

If this is the actual attitude of game developers toward the value of writing and the amount of time that should be devoted to it, then holy hell is it little wonder that video game writing is generally so awful. I mean, stipulated that the writing is only a small part of the man-hours involved in development, but you have got to be doing it wrong (or at least shoddily) if you're hammering out the script for a project larger than a feature film in the equivalent of two and a half working weeks.

the point is that they say it would be too expensive. I'm a sony hater. i would much rather play my xbox. but final fantasy is my all time favorite game. i have spent probably near 1000 hours on this game. i have beaten it several times and have unlocked every secret it has to offer. it may be expensive, but it could also be one of they're highest selling games in the history of square enix. i would go out and buy a ps3 for the remake alone. i could care less about any other game ps3 has to offer. sony would make so much money off this game that it would be way more than worth it and they know it. they just want to hype it up and piss us all off.

Great. Square-Enix should remake Final Fantasy 6 instead. And when Tetsuya Nomura somehow gets involved and runs the project into the ground, that series can finally be put to death.

FFVII is my favourite game of all time, but come on... can't we just let topics like this die, I mean it's not happening and to be honest, with all the "we want this" and "we want that" crap FFVII fans seem to want, the remake would end up being a huge disappointed to more fans than not.

Enjoy the version you've got and move on :) it's the only sure way for your nostalgia not to get ruined.

If people want it so much, fan remake.

and before you say it cna't be done, they've done it with Street Fighter 2 and some wonderful people are currently remaking Half Life with the source engine "properly".

Given it's not quite like remaking FF7 from scratch but i'm saying.

Quit your bitching and start on something, the man who waits for welath dies a poor man.

Sorry Shamus, but the thesis of your article is absurd and proves that you don't fully understand the topics you are discussing. No serious or knowledgeable proponent of a Final Fantasy VII remake has suggested that it would not be an enormous undertaking. Of course it would be, but so what? That is what commerce is all about. Companies invest vast amounts of time, resources, and money into creating a product and then recoup their expenses by selling that product. You remake-deniers act as if they would be doing it out of the kindness of their own hearts. They would be doing it because it would make money for their shareholders. Unlike a Final Fantasy XIII, which is a financial gamble, a remake of Final Fantasy VII would be a virtually guaranteed investment.

This whole idea that "they don't make them like they used to" is ridiculous. Have you not played DragonAge: Origins? Elder Scrolls? Assassins Creed? MMOs like WOW and FFXI? Heck, The Old Republic is being marketed to be easily 10 times the size of Final Fantasy VII.

An FFVII remake would require nowhere near the level of complexity seen in other modern games that, according to you weren't "made like they used to be". There's no customizing of characters, no branching morality changing the way your character is received throughout the game. Everything is scripted and linear. Yes, they would need to design an enormous world. But such a thing is done in contemporary game design on at least a monthly basis. They would also have the option of incorporating a more linear travel system if need be.

If you want to offer a compelling argument for why a FFVII remake is improbable, I'm all ears. But you'll have to do much better than this.

If it takes a year or two to make a shitty new game, I still don't see how hard this could be even after reading all these articles.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here