Unskippable: Legendary

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Hehe. You would think people might learn...Well there goes the neighbourhood!

Nice job here, as per usual. But exactly why was there a slideshow proloud and and opening cutscene?

And that James Cameron bit was absolutely brilliant, by the way.

My cheap knock-off senses are tingling.
Also what part of 'Never Open' does that guy not understand. Of course one has to wonder, if the box was never to be opened, why did they even make a key for it.
I always wonder about that when there's a plot device that involves something that's "Never meant to be opened." If it was never meant to be opened, why did you even make it possible to open it?

Eric the Orange:
Seriously, what part of Pandoras box didn't he understand.

Yeah, this is pretty much my main question as well. It's Pandoras box for the love of the gods! Also, objects that whisper and talk to you are never good things, just ask Fulgrim about that....

Congratulations stupid spy guy for putting your hand on the box. You now have Wolverine's super-healing powers and Iron Man's "I can see my veins" palladium poisoning, radioactive glow-in-the-dark edition. Now to see which is stronger, the unkillable mutation or the terminal ailment.

I had to review this game for my newspaper. I gave it 2/10 and titled it "Epic Fail". That game was sooooo bad.

Ahh...such an interesting premise. Such a failure to utilize it...

Why did they spend so much money hiring some thief to do this when they could have just gotten a security guard drunk and dared him to stick his hand in to the box.

Wow you guys are good. I just started playing it last night. Hopefully this will promote it so I can find a match. Lol ya like that'll happen.

So...the box gave him a Plasmid?

The last riff was the best; "now to spend the next ten hours or so with my hand bobbing around in front of my face".

Normally with this I laugh with a "oh that's funny" laugh, but that last one gave me a full-on belly laugh, I haven't had one of those in a long time. Thanks Graham and Paul!

this game has an "OPENING"?
guess this would be kinda boring, if it didn't.
what kind of game would it be if it includes "pandoras box" without opening it?
starring at a box, having the ONLY choice if you open it or not, and if you decide NOT to open it you win the game imediately, but you will have to look at the box forever like a neverlasting screensaver. AND you have to make shure noone else opens the box.
so you better lock your console/computer/mac (if available for mac) in the closet.

or just open the box... what could go wrong?
the game kinda expects you to do so anyways, even if you are aware of what a bad idea that is.
some games are based on bad ideas and turned out good, or at least less bad as they started.

So Pandora's Box is an allegory akin to curiosity killed the cat?

Actualy, more like Pandora's box at the bottom of the ocean opened up the curse of Twilight and it's fans. Though Avatar coulda been slipped in too, Iunno. I'd say Twilight was the bigger one. ;D

Nice job guys.

I'd completely forgotten about this game.

I should really get past the first level. Or was I on the second?

When my brother beat it, he said it wasn't that good, but expressed interest in the sequel.

Good vid, loved the James Cameron reference.

dalek sec:

Eric the Orange:
Seriously, what part of Pandoras box didn't he understand.

Yeah, this is pretty much my main question as well. It's Pandoras box for the love of the gods! Also, objects that whisper and talk to you are never good things, just ask Fulgrim about that....

My stuffed animals whisper to me all the time, but I just ignore them. "Come play with us, Bert, forever, and ever...."

canadamus_prime:
Also what part of 'Never Open' does that guy not understand. Of course one has to wonder, if the box was never to be opened, why did they even make a key for it.
I always wonder about that when there's a plot device that involves something that's "Never meant to be opened." If it was never meant to be opened, why did you even make it possible to open it?

That is the basis for philosophy. Like this week's quiz, there is no one right answer.

Psylenia:
And on a sidenote, let's thank GAWD that George Lucas had nothing to do with this...or that guy would have LOST that hand -_-

And would have replaced it with a lightsaber Ash style. Wait...that actually sounds cool.

... that was the most annoying accent ever. I'm getting to the point whre if there isn't a clear reason to have the accent, then tehy should probably just not have it. Or maybe use a different, less cliche one.

anyway, yes, I loved the bioshock reference.

you should really do No More Heroes
im just sayin

Reading the wikipedia summary:

here, a police officer greets him, but he is killed by a werewolf

I was waiting for "new game" to show you the cutscene again.

Nerding out here a bit, but doesn't the "pandora's box" seem to be oddly conflated with the Ark of the Covenant stories, the scenes of taking it into battle.

BlueHighwind:
We are the Council of 98 not because we have 98 members, but because all of our computers still use Windows 98. Also, we're bitter enemies with the Council of 95.

Wouldn't they be your ancestors? Your nemesis should be the Council of Fruits.

"So that's what James Cameron was doing for all those years! Pandora's Box unleashed AVATAR upon the world!"

Your humor appeases me.

"Oh textmessage from his mom there"
"You stabbed me!"

brilliant, also the 'moaning'sounds when he tries to insert the 'key' was well placed

Awesome review guys.

samsonguy920:

canadamus_prime:

That is the basis for philosophy. Like this week's quiz, there is no one right answer.

I'm not talking about philosophy, I'm talking about logic. Like logically if you don't want something opened, you ensure that there is absolutely no way to open it. Granted that doesn't allow for very interesting storytelling, but at least it makes sense.

LLORTREPUS:
Its a shame that the cutscene doesn't show all the werewolves, minotaurs, griffins and ghosts that fly out of that thing.
Legendary was a good looking game, and the story had potential. Unfortunately, the story fades away pretty quickly and the game consists of 'walk through this straight path, killing monsters. Then eat their souls.'

You eat their souls? I remember playing the demo and being completely unimpressed.

canadamus_prime:

samsonguy920:

canadamus_prime:

I'm not talking about philosophy, I'm talking about logic. Like logically if you don't want something opened, you ensure that there is absolutely no way to open it. Granted that doesn't allow for very interesting storytelling, but at least it makes sense.

The original myth is about how the gods WANTED the box to be opened and created Pandora for that very purpose (she was married to Epimetheus because he was basically the god of being an idiot). All of this is tied to the overarching theme of Greek mythology, which is that the gods are all complete dicks.

Not G. Ivingname:

Blue-State:
So... What did the box do to him?

Give him one REALLY bad hand cramp.

and the ability to make it glow
oooooh

Great episode, but such a weird game.

Danny Ocean:
So Pandora's Box is an allegory akin to curiosity killed the cat?

but i like my cat
but i guess that is why i don't have one anymore
i got a dog!

"Creepy box, creepy box, creepy box, creepy box..."

Maybe this box isn't a good thing... Still pretty looking though.

Fun episode guys!

canadamus_prime:

For some reason, your comment reminds me of Oak Island and it's famed Money Pit.

First noticed in the 1700's, the Money Pit is believed by some to contain some sort of elaborately buried treasure. However, the pit's characteristics have thwarted explorers for over 300 years, as attempts to excavate the site result in flooding and collapse. If there's anything down there, it has proved darned hard to recover.

If we assume the pit is artificially constructed, and if we further assume something has been placed there (neither of which are certain at this point), then it occurred to me a while back: If you have a treasure -- i.e. a valuable thing you intended to recover later -- you would not bury it in so difficult and elaborate a manner that you lacked the ability to actually recover it. Which led me to the further thought: Perhaps it is a thing not meant to be recovered. Perhaps it is something someone wanted made irretrievable forever. Which then makes you wonder what such an artifact might be. It could be some sort of weird bio- or radiation hazard that fell from the sky. Or the remains of Christ.

...Or Pandora's Box.

Plenty of storytelling opportunity there.

Good video, but I'd like to add my own theory to the James Cameron reference. Cameron found the box while filming Aliens of the Deep, but decided to sell it to make more money and just took the name for his own purposes. Thus, Pandora from Avatar was born.

Again, more great humor to make this another worthy five minutes of hearing your jokes. Which makes me wonder, if all the misfortunes of the world were already released when the box was first opened, what could possibly be released that wasn't included the first time it was opened, unless all that was released the first time was killed off (assuming mythological creatures in this case)?

I'm thinking too much into this. In short, another good week, can't see what you guys put up next time.

And then the Council of 98 hired the Crazy 88s, and they all went down to the 7-Eleven for the sale on 40oz Slurpees and Three Musketeers bars....

When I finally launch my career as a globetrotting master thief, I will have a set of ironclad rules to follow. Rule #4 will be "never, ever attempt to steal, or place your hand against/inside, ancient artifacts that whisper at you".

What's Rule #1? "Never trust a guy who hires you to steal his own stuff". I've seen what that gets you....

I expected a Bioshock reference at the end. Damn hand. Nice one, guys.

OtherSideofSky:

canadamus_prime:

samsonguy920:

canadamus_prime:

The original myth is about how the gods WANTED the box to be opened and created Pandora for that very purpose (she was married to Epimetheus because he was basically the god of being an idiot). All of this is tied to the overarching theme of Greek mythology, which is that the gods are all complete dicks.

Yes yes, but I wasn't just talking about Pandora's Box. I was talking about Fiction in general. There are many other examples I could think of, like the door to Tarterus in Justice League, or this box with a sealed evil in it from this crappy movie I saw once called "The Ceremony" ...or something like that. Take your pick.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here