Review: Backbreaker

This rookie shows promise, but has a long way to go before it's a star.

Read Full Article

Played the demo (which actually happened to be my introduction to American football) and enjoyed the hell out of it.
Even the Madden demo, that I then tried out, wasn't nearly as fun.
But, yeah, it's pretty flawed. However, Natural Motion are only starting as game devs, give them time and I'm sure they'll improve.
So I guess I fit perfectly into the type of guy who would enjoy the game based on your review.

Seems pretty much like any sports game, made for those who enjoy them.

Thankfully not one Ill need to deal with on this side of the pond

Ooh, this looks good! The Blitz series isn't a very good substitute for Madden so I'm glad that we have a third competitor. And this review makes it sound like this series has great potential for a series. I'll be trying it out, that's fer sure!

...OR ROBOTIC FOOSBALL PLAYERS!

sorry, I had to

anyway, this isn't my genre but we seem to have it at work so, I may rent it just for the hell of it once Red Dead gets stale

Jaredin:
Seems pretty much like any sports game, made for those who enjoy them.

Thankfully not one Ill need to deal with on this side of the pond

I actually think Backbreaker is a very good introduction to football games for people who DON'T play sports games.

Sounds like a shame. Though the "action-y" feel via camera perspectives has been done to death, and never worked before, at least it's something different to rehash.

JEBWrench:
Sounds like a shame. Though the "action-y" feel via camera perspectives has been done to death, and never worked before, at least it's something different to rehash.

It's implemented really well in this game, honestly. It WORKS.

I just wish everything else worked around with it.

John Funk:

It's implemented really well in this game, honestly. It WORKS.

Wow, it's like a small part of a Christmas miracle.

*makes it a note to follow the franchise through later iterations*

Right now, it sounds right about where other sports series started at - I remember the original EA NCAA Football game having something like 16 teams.

Out of interest, what do you mean by 'for Europeans'? I'd really like to get into a decent American Handball game to bring back the glory of Blood Bowl when I used to play that, but stuff like Madden is just so booooooooring that I can't bring myself to finish a march (I guess that makes it true to the sport, but still...).

Also, I'm almost sold just because they look like Judges. The Mega City 1 Lawbringers may have to win the Superbowl...

John Funk:
John Funk thinks that Backbreaker is kind of like a football game for the Europeans.

I'm sorry as a "European" (albeit one that worked in the US last year) I resent that I was a big fan of NFl and understood 90% of the rules before I moved to the US. I know I'm in the minority (especially on this site) but as Football games go I would need the rules to be right to enjoy it.

Hopefully Backbreaker does challenge madden because like pro-evo vs fifa when PES became a serious competitor EA uppe dthere game and came back with a masterful game (for a football sim) hope the same will happen to Madden, its utter dominance has made it stale and tired

I want to play robot football!

Being no American football fan in particulair, this feels more like a Xbox live Arcade title than a full retail game. Sure, the concept and engine is most impressing but it doesn't stack up with games like Madden for example.

Though they can incorperate their engine in almost any game involving heavy pshysical action.

I played the Demo, and there's no way that this game (or any future installments) can dethrone Madden. It was fun, but it wasn't the football experience that you can count on like in Madden. The "RTS like" qualities of Madden have become such a norm that as soon as I loaded it up I felt weird. The running was fun, the passing not so much so. Flipping the play or calling audibles was either nonexistent, or hidden in the menu. It was too hard to switch to the player you wanted (having to press A till you got there) or the split second of messing up the motion when you manually switch to the receiver or rusher. What I can give it props on is the "focus" mode, but there were too many moves assigned to the stick and not enough to the buttons. Some overhauls are definitely needed, what I think this game can become is like The Biggs compared to MLB 2k__, but they should focus more on spectacle.

Great Review Funk.

Yeah this has alot of potential. The tackles look freakin awesome.

rugby for the fragile :)
looks good, but not my thing. ill give it a miss

The Cheezy One:

See, everyone says that, but football tackles always look WAY rougher to me. There's a lot more "dragging down" in Rugby that I see, and not as much plowing into the guy from the side.

Tackle Alley sounds...EPIC.

I guess I'll finally give the demo a try...

football with robots is realy a cool idea actually, but im pretty sure there was something close to that (soccer with robots i think)

Angry Joe really wants to support this game only because he thinks it has the chops to challenge madden if given another chance. I think people who play football games should give it buy only to let the devlopers gain the funds to polish the game in a sequal with.

Personally I don't like football games but tackle system is the only thing I liked about them and this game sells that by howdy.

Looks great, I loved the later iterations of madden that allowed you to play as a single player, and HB was my favorite position. This looks like the perfect kind of setup for the madden I truly enjoyed.

John Funk:

The Cheezy One:

See, everyone says that, but football tackles always look WAY rougher to me. There's a lot more "dragging down" in Rugby that I see, and not as much plowing into the guy from the side.

Yeah, American football is more dangerous, as having armour means they hit each other stupidly hard. The added safety means you take more risks.

John Funk:

The Cheezy One:

i get that actually, but im not sure whether thats just cause and effect. they CAN smash into someone, so they do. however, those helmets must put more pressure on the players neck, so it could be more dangerous
one thing about rugby, not sure about american football, but they obey the rules. if you foul someone in soccer, they break a leg. foul someone badly in rugby, you can kill them.

I must also add in that the video made me think of QWOP for some reason. I am not sure if it is the way the guy fell or the sideways view, just seemed very QWOP-like.

QWOP (In case of those interested)

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

Video

John Funk:
sense of intensity and urgency o the sport that most games lack.

Heh, O

I would maybe tihnk about playing buying this game, but I dont like Madden or American Football... my brother might like it though...

This is where I point out that Australians play the same game, only rougher, and without padding. And with actual kicking.

Nerdfury:
This is where I point out that Australians play the same game, only rougher, and without padding. And with actual kicking.

If you're talking about rugby, no. If you're talking about Australian Rules, also no. :)

See, the armor means that people hit a *lot* harder. And you have 30 pounds of extra mass barreling into you.

John Funk:

Nerdfury:

If you're talking about rugby, no. If you're talking about Australian Rules, also no. :)

See, the armor means that people hit a *lot* harder. And you have 30 pounds of extra mass barreling into you.

As an Australian, I stand uncorrected! We're hardcore.

I still think Madden is a bit too standard with Backbreaker bringing more thrills that seem like a real "Back Breaker"

Chipperz:
Out of interest, what do you mean by 'for Europeans'? I'd really like to get into a decent American Handball game to bring back the glory of Blood Bowl when I used to play that,

Tried the Cyanide game? The newest version should be out at the end of this year with an extra 12 races. I'd definately stick to the PC version though, even if the interface and loading times are horrible in places.

that final tackle, sickest thing i've ever seen
replayed it 6 times...

I really hope people but this.. I hate madden so much.It is a copmpletly unrealistic representation of the sport

I played the demo and if they just fixed up the passing a bit then I would buy it and probably make a team of ninjas or something. But think about the possibilites!

Sure they don't have the NFL license but give people the option of creating and downloading custom made teams online and that problem will be solved in a week. Make the soundtrack not quite so repetitive and a stamina/injury system and it would be, imo, far superior to Madden.

The thing that makes this a big question mark for me is the passing system from the demo. It does feel like a quarter back but I would suggest using the stick to control the camera of where the QB is looking and mapping the receivers to all the buttons like Madden does because although I applaud the attempt to be different, it's inferior.

But like the review both said and showed and also from my impression of the demo... The running games and playing defense are a blast. (I've always loved playing defense more anyway...)

Deofuta:
I must also add in that the video made me think of QWOP for some reason. I am not sure if it is the way the guy fell or the sideways view, just seemed very QWOP-like.

QWOP (In case of those interested)

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

Urgh I just tried that and it's really hard to start out... I've managed to fall 1.6m so far...

OT: This sort of angle fits well with American Football, and makes me interested in the sport as I otherwise wouldn't be... If I had the console appropriate I may well have given it a try...

I'll have to wait til they try and do something like this with a Rugby License, then I might even have to pick up a console.

Though, who wants to take bets on EA releasing their next expansion "Now with an all new camera angle"?

John Funk:

This rookie shows promise, but has a long way to go before it's a star.

Read Full Article

I hear that there is a new patch which fixes a lot of the issues in this game. any chance we could get a followup review of this?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here