Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

p3t3r:
i think he was a bit nit-picky i found no bad glitches like the ones he mentioned. aside from one infinite load screen.

so is John Marston a manly man or a Macho man is what i want to know

Therumancer:
[Blinks]

snip

well actually there was a PS2 era western named Red Dead Revolver that needed a publisher Rockstar bought the rights and published the game so Red Dead Redemption is in a way a sequel and the red dead part is just the name of the series

here is the wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dead_Revolver

This.

Wow, I am amazed someone would go through the effort to try and explain the meaning of Red in the title. Red was the name of the main character in the first game. Rockstar carried over the name as a spiritual successor. Geez, take off the tin foil hat.

Hehe... purple monkey dishwasher.......

well i have over 50 hours in the game and it isnt any less fun than the 1st hour unlike GTA4 which got boring. The story is on par with a decent western movie and the multi player is fun and he must not have ever looked at the journal cause there IS a point to almost everything you do [shrug] awesome game

Enfold:
If you play until the end of Red Dead Redemption you'll understand the title.

That has nothing to do with it. It's spiritual successor to Red Dead Revolver. Completely different story and characters...but it's Rockstar tipping their hat and hoping to cash in on anyone that remembers that game.

Somebody needs to make Green Spleen Submarine into a game. Like, right now.

OT: Sounds good for a laugh, I suppose. Still not convinced enough to rush out and buy it though. Maybe I'll rent it one day, if I have the time.

Awesome. Spot on from beginning to end. It's not often that Yahtzee reviews something I've bought/would buy. When he does though, I can't stop laughing. Damn mountain lions...

EDIT: I do wonder, however, whether he's actually played The Lost & Damned. The thing about characters getting flung off their bikes VERY easily, when, in this particular DLC your ass is literally glued to the seat. Just wondering.

His review was spot on. RDR is a tired GTA4 rehash set in the old west with the same broken controls and boring, repetitive missions. I really wish I had watched this before wasting $60 on this turkey.

The glitches alone provide hours of entertainment, just like in Oblivion.

i'm sure about a thousand people have already said this but fuck it i'm not reading through all the comments to find out.
Anyway, if he didn't like the autoaim he could of changed it to expert tageting which gets rid of it.

Sure, horse chases aren't as fun as car chases...

...until you finally get close enough, lasso the guy off his horse, drag him across the valley, then snap his spine across a cactus.

Also: even though I can fast travel, I never do, because there's always something to fight, chase, capture, collect, hunt, snipe at, etc, and the scenery is just frickin beautiful!

This game is glorious; you suck, Ben Croshaw.

unholyavenger13:
he seemed to be nitpicking a little bit
i never saw any of those glitches and he didnt say anything about the walking controls in his gta4 review
all those flaws he called the game out for i never really cared about

Yeah but that's kinda what he does, he points out these things (and blows them up a little bit for laughs), and then you decide whether you can still live with them being in the game or not. I'd still buy the game. I'd still buy most games that have something about them that interested me in the first place.

Someone has probably already pointed this out, but when he complained about the auto aim, just switch to Expert targeting. It's waaay more fun that way.

Perfect. This review nailed it.

The best ZP yet.

Although, I would say that RDR is Rockstars best game so far - I really hated GTA IV.

I don't really like the life system on this game where your screen turns red I like the life bar or numbers

I'm not sure if Yahtzee actually finished the game since the ending actually has you (rather large spoiler here)

And yeah, some of the other complaints are a little off since if you just hold A then you don't have to worry about being run off the road and of course the aiming can be adjusted to your liking.

Still, a pretty good review.

I really hate the unskippable skinning animations.

One time i was skinning a sheep then all of a sudden a beer spawns and attack me! i can do nothing to defend myself because John is so Red Dead Set on skinning that sheep!

John: "I don't care if a Cthulhu or whatever monstrosities are killing me! I gotta skin this sheep!"

danpascooch:
It did bother me that money is useless, and Yahtzee made a lot of good points.

But I have to say, I didn't encounter a single one of the weird glitches he mentioned, scratched disk, perhaps?

I think the glitches were literally on a case-by-case basis. I had alot of friends conplain about glitches and I had none. My friend rode in a straight line from Hennigan's Stead to Escuela (not joking) through rock and over water, but the game was fine for me.

It's actually quite interesting

Edward123454321:

junkmanuk:
Jesus ZP I just don't know what you want from games these days. You cry out for proper sandboxing and when you get it you criticise it for being a timesink. As for complaining about mountain lions doing what mountain lions do. I.e. hunt in packs and attempt rip you open?! You gave your horse a goddamn name for goodness sake - how much more sandboxy can it get?!

Oh, and I really haven't experienced any of the glitches or bugs that are so vehemently described in this review despite playing for about 20 hours. I really think they're overblown.

He's a comedian, not a critic, the sooner you stop taking his reviews seriously, the sooner they become more amusing, trust me, I've stopped taking him seriously for about 4 vids now, and I'm enjoying ZP more as a result. >_<

Yeahhh... the sooner you realise that people can be equally satirical in their responses the better. I generally wait for the extra punctuation to get his genuine opinion on gaming. My point about the much maligned glitches is my own personal observation though so I feel entitled to mention it.

Therumancer:
[Blinks]

-Snip-

Dude... Communism... Really? The Guerilla group red faction was CALLED red faction because they were on Mars, the red planet. Why Mars? Because that's the setting they used. There was no communism involved, it's just how the game was created.

I will agree with others saying that the name MIGHT mean something, but only AFTER the final stranger quest after the "main Story" is done. Then again, that only explains the redemption part. Red Dead is just to carry it over from revolver... Shame though. You'd think they'd make a cameo from Red or something

(I'd like to state now that I never played Red Dead Revolver, so if John Marston meeting red is impossible due to a death in Red's story or something, I wouldn't know about it)

I DID like how almost all the stranger quests turned out messed up. It really showed how alot of people went to the old west trying to find fame and breaking themselves, or going insane. Was a nice touch.

Very disappointed. Not a single reference to brown rusty sheriffs badges at all.

I think he covered that. He did mention thinking marketing would have had a problem with brown badge rustbucket, or whatever he'd proposed for the game.

Very funny review! Love the alternate titles he gives to the game, my fave being Purple Monkey Dishwasher and Green Spleen Submarine.

Gotta say that I didn't agree much with this one (except with money being kinda useless), but then again, I've got only like 6-7 hours into the game.

I've had no trouble with any dangerous animals because I just, you know, AVOID the areas they roam in and there's easy ways to travel around quickly instead of horseriding. The controls and physics are just fine to me and I've yet to encounter any glitches other than some very minor ones. The auto-aim and Dead Aim problems are easily fixed from the options.

As for the in-game activities not having any purpose, I just like to immerse myself into the wild west thing by catching outlaws, looking for treasures, hunting etc. There's so much to do that it's hard to get bored.

Wow, It never ceases to amaze me how yahtzee could hit the nail on the head, yet still be as funny as possible! He described red dead redemtion exactly how I would... but so much funnier!

SonicKoala:

My1stLuvJak:

SonicKoala:
Hm, he spent the overwhelming majority of the review hating on the game, and then at the end we hear the words "beautifully written and beautifully atmospheric" - have to say, didn't see that coming. Regardless, it really seems like this game is worth checking out.

Really? You didn't think he'd say that one of Rockstar's games was pretty?

I love how you're taking that as a *OMG, I should take a look at this game*. There are many things in this world that are pretty to look at, but for videogames, that is the absolute last quality I need to have. You should read some other articles on this site, like the one "Experienced Points" that talks about graphics and how we don't need to progress any further in that department. I don't like to feel like a game is purposefully wasting my time - for me, riding through pretty landscape with little to nothing in the way of distraction is beyond boring. Not to say that I always need purpose in a game, but the only time where inbetween travel is fun is in Shadows of the Colossus; where I'm expected to find my way around without someone holding my hand, without a map, and, further, I will find a gargantuan boss to crawl all over and slay at the end of my journey.

"Beautifully written and atmospheric" does not translate to "looks pretty" - writing has absoloutely NOTHING to do with graphics, nor does atmosphere; a game can have relatively mediocre graphics and still have great atmosphere. Your misinterpretation of my original comment is absoloutely baffling.

Secondly, he said other things about the game other than "it looks good" - I'm not thinking about checking out the game because it looks pretty, I really don't care that strongly about graphics, but I'm glad you felt the need to be loquacious and post your little blurb on the relative unimportance of graphics when it comes to delivering a positive gaming experience.

And I read every little thing this site has to offer, thank you very much. Please, before you respond to somebody in the future, could you please read what the person actually said, and then post something which is actually relavent to that original comment.

I'm sorry for skewing your words a little, but I don't feel that I was that far off the mark.

What did he say before "beautifully atmospheric and beautifully written"? OH YEAH - he said something about "looks", didn't he? And forgive me if I interpreted the word "beautiful" to have something to do with appearance. I don't think that the repetition of that word was coincidence...beautiful atmosphere and beautiful writing makes me think of one thing: flowers. Lots of flowers to pick and flowery writing, but not enough 'game', for me.

I don't usually troll comments, but I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Rockstar's previous offerings; this new game doesn't blow me away, either. We'll see what Yahtzee thinks in his "Extra Punctuation", but your initial comment sounded to me like it was missing the point of the video.

I apologize for flying off the handle, that was uncalled for.

SonicKoala:

My1stLuvJak:

SonicKoala:
Hm, he spent the overwhelming majority of the review hating on the game, and then at the end we hear the words "beautifully written and beautifully atmospheric" - have to say, didn't see that coming. Regardless, it really seems like this game is worth checking out.

Really? You didn't think he'd say that one of Rockstar's games was pretty?

I love how you're taking that as a *OMG, I should take a look at this game*. There are many things in this world that are pretty to look at, but for videogames, that is the absolute last quality I need to have. You should read some other articles on this site, like the one "Experienced Points" that talks about graphics and how we don't need to progress any further in that department. I don't like to feel like a game is purposefully wasting my time - for me, riding through pretty landscape with little to nothing in the way of distraction is beyond boring. Not to say that I always need purpose in a game, but the only time where inbetween travel is fun is in Shadows of the Colossus; where I'm expected to find my way around without someone holding my hand, without a map, and, further, I will find a gargantuan boss to crawl all over and slay at the end of my journey.

"Beautifully written and atmospheric" does not translate to "looks pretty" - writing has absoloutely NOTHING to do with graphics, nor does atmosphere; a game can have relatively mediocre graphics and still have great atmosphere. Your misinterpretation of my original comment is absoloutely baffling.

Secondly, he said other things about the game other than "it looks good" - I'm not thinking about checking out the game because it looks pretty, I really don't care that strongly about graphics, but I'm glad you felt the need to be loquacious and post your little blurb on the relative unimportance of graphics when it comes to delivering a positive gaming experience.

And I read every little thing this site has to offer, thank you very much. Please, before you respond to somebody in the future, could you please read what the person actually said, and then post something which is actually relavent to that original comment.

Can't really see why you're being a dick about this, mate. Everything is an opinion, even the articles from experianced points. We all have different opinions, and he happened to interpret your post to say something. If it's off the mark, be a nice person and explain where you're coming from, do not slander people. Why take a debate about a videogame to such a personal level? How were they supposed to know you read EVERYTHING? They posted a suggestion.

And to respond, atmosphere DOEs have something to do with looks. If I'm playing an old west game, I'm going to want to feel like I am, and see it too. I lvoed how you could kill people off and create a ghost town in the game, and then the moment you walked into that dead down, you see the emptiness, the run down nature of the town, and you can feel it to. It's not a definition, but it's a contributing factor.

And third: Ofcourse he hated on the game. I think the only game he hasn't shot down is portal. He normally says a few redeeming features

wait... long travel times?

You can fast travel anywhere and from anywhere for free.

Celtic_Kerr:

danpascooch:
It did bother me that money is useless, and Yahtzee made a lot of good points.

But I have to say, I didn't encounter a single one of the weird glitches he mentioned, scratched disk, perhaps?

I think the glitches were literally on a case-by-case basis. I had alot of friends conplain about glitches and I had none. My friend rode in a straight line from Hennigan's Stead to Escuela (not joking) through rock and over water, but the game was fine for me.

It's actually quite interesting

That's really weird, I didn't get like, any glitches.

This is actually one of only Zero Punctuations I disagree with. I never got the feeling of it being GTA in the old west like so many others did. I dunno, I really enjoyed this game and I never experienced any of the bugs (not even the awesome ones like cougar man.)

I do agree though that the world felt larger then it was. Just Cause 2 was immense but didn't always feel that big when you stood in it. This world wasn't actually that big but it felt that way, and was definitely large enough that you felt like you were out in the wilderness when you were...well, out in the wilderness.

But I just really enjoyed this game, it is certainly one of my favorite games of all time and perhaps my favorite sandbox game ever. It never really felt like a sandbox game to me, more like a more linear game with just a sandbox environment to give it atmosphere. I'm surprised that he didn't mention the dueling mechanic as it was rather...wierd, without knowing how to do it.

Vohn_exel:
This is actually one of only Zero Punctuations I disagree with. I never got the feeling of it being GTA in the old west like so many others did. I dunno, I really enjoyed this game and I never experienced any of the bugs (not even the awesome ones like cougar man.)

I do agree though that the world felt larger then it was. Just Cause 2 was immense but didn't always feel that big when you stood in it. This world wasn't actually that big but it felt that way, and was definitely large enough that you felt like you were out in the wilderness when you were...well, out in the wilderness.

But I just really enjoyed this game, it is certainly one of my favorite games of all time and perhaps my favorite sandbox game ever. It never really felt like a sandbox game to me, more like a more linear game with just a sandbox environment to give it atmosphere. I'm surprised that he didn't mention the dueling mechanic as it was rather...wierd, without knowing how to do it.

I think the reason people are calling it GTA IVish is due to John Marston's philosophies. While riding and during stranger quests he sits there and insults people, states his philosophies, and threaents people. While you're accepting a mission, he just sits there and goes "Okay". Now I know that many times during the Mexico conflict he tells both sides "I'm not with you" and "I'm not ON your side" (Again this is while riding).

In one cutscene he's watching a girl get chased down and damned near molested and while I understand he needs the general alive for the information on javier, but he simply says nothign about it. When he catches Reyes having sex with the mexican girl, sure he mentions luisa a few times, he never really takes any action for something he would normall stand up to (if going by the philosophies he preaches while horseback riding).

It's like every GTA game. The quest giver says "Shut up and take it bitch" and they do... No talk back, no nothing

Celtic_Kerr:
Red Dead Snip

I guess thats true. I always kind of wondered about Mexico too, but I also got the feeling that they wanted you to be fed up with it by the time you left and to have it impact you differently then the rest of the game. They wanted it to be a different experience and to leave you with a taste of being in the middle of a war and political upheaval, and I definitely got that. I didn't hate Mexico, and I love riding down there now that the missions are over...but when I was first done with it, the only thing I wanted was to get out of there. I felt it did it's job but I also did wish that John would've done more then just sit around and watch.

I liked Nico Bellic but I wasn't a big fan of his from GTA IV. His story never really got me or interested me. Marston's story was so interesting and I felt for him, and really wanted him to be able to get back to his family. I felt for his character and wanted to help him along. I'm not much for completeing sandbox games. I still haven't beat GTA III, IV JC2 or any of the others I own. I usually get bored after a while, but this game kept me hooked from beginning to end, and it's certainly a great western experience. I guess I just have a soft spot for this game, lol. I hope that we get more like it.

Red Dead

Celtic_Kerr:

Therumancer:
[Blinks]

-Snip-

Dude... Communism... Really? The Guerilla group red faction was CALLED red faction because they were on Mars, the red planet. Why Mars? Because that's the setting they used. There was no communism involved, it's just how the game was created.

I will agree with others saying that the name MIGHT mean something, but only AFTER the final stranger quest after the "main Story" is done. Then again, that only explains the redemption part. Red Dead is just to carry it over from revolver... Shame though. You'd think they'd make a cameo from Red or something

(I'd like to state now that I never played Red Dead Revolver, so if John Marston meeting red is impossible due to a death in Red's story or something, I wouldn't know about it)

I DID like how almost all the stranger quests turned out messed up. It really showed how alot of people went to the old west trying to find fame and breaking themselves, or going insane. Was a nice touch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How the (holy jesus what profanity he is spewing Martha) do you even come close to Communisum.

Red Dead deals with blood shead pain and simple. Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Rempection dealth with blood shead and familty ties.

Theres no communisum what so ever. The Hollywood Black list and The Black List program didn't even start up till just after World War 1.

don't get me wrong, i think yahtze does a good job reviewing MOST games, i just think he did a piss poor job reviewing red dead redemption. I didn't have any physics problems while playing the game, maybe thats because I have a 360, and he most likely has the annoying ps3.

did he actually review the game? i think not, i think he was too concerned about the free roam to actually dive into the story line... Christ he never even mentions the story line, which is probably a first. Wasn't he the one that said that every game must be judged on the campaign mode, THEN WHAT THE HELL IS A CAMPAIGN MODE WITHOUT A STORY LINE?

And really? the mountain lions? yeah those bastards are stealthy IF YOUR FUCKING DEAF... all mountain lions I encountered roared right before they attacked, so it wasnt hard to detect when they were close by...

I think he just wasn't fair. Sure I agree with some arguments he presents, the free roam can get annoying and traveling between missions can get pretty repetitive, but if you turn up the volume (which can also help with that annoying mountain lion situation you have) you could hear a conversation in which John has with whoever he is riding with, which helps characterizes John Marston and other characters in the video game.

junkmanuk:

Edward123454321:

junkmanuk:
Jesus ZP I just don't know what you want from games these days. You cry out for proper sandboxing and when you get it you criticise it for being a timesink. As for complaining about mountain lions doing what mountain lions do. I.e. hunt in packs and attempt rip you open?! You gave your horse a goddamn name for goodness sake - how much more sandboxy can it get?!

Oh, and I really haven't experienced any of the glitches or bugs that are so vehemently described in this review despite playing for about 20 hours. I really think they're overblown.

He's a comedian, not a critic, the sooner you stop taking his reviews seriously, the sooner they become more amusing, trust me, I've stopped taking him seriously for about 4 vids now, and I'm enjoying ZP more as a result. >_<

Yeahhh... the sooner you realise that people can be equally satirical in their responses the better. I generally wait for the extra punctuation to get his genuine opinion on gaming. My point about the much maligned glitches is my own personal observation though so I feel entitled to mention it.

Sarcasm is hard to gauge on the internets, but as is how much of a troll someone's trying to be. I can honestly say I just thought you were distressed and thought it would be nice to offer you an alternative way of seeing things, you have my humblest appologies for being so presumptious.

And yes, I agree to an extent, Extra Punctuation is generally more professional than Zero, but I still don't think you can entirely take it seriously, but opinion are *drum rolls* subjective, so this argument is in vain anyways. ^_^

zHellas:

mortalsatsuma:
He had a point regarding the mountain lions (or Cougars) there is nothing more annoying than getting blind-sided by one then killing it, only for 5 more to show up.

I never see more than 1 or 2, but after a bit you get used to hearing them.

Yeah, they do usually attack either on their own or in pairs, what I should have said was, you kill one and if you hang around a ton more show up. I killed one cougar just north of Mcfarlane ranch and over the course of 10 minutes, 10 more showed up one after the other. sorry for any confusion :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here