Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Nice review, fun to watch but it seemed a little nitpicky.

I played the game on the 360, had no graphical or glitching problems, it didn't crash and I never got stuck in a wall. It was amazingly beautiful and actually looked like west texas, so kudos for that.

Not sure if I can get this game since I know that they sweatshopped their employees to make it, but its good to know they left some bugs in to throw a big ol middle finger at their bosses.

A: All games are time sinks lol.

2: You played the inferior, glitchy ass PS3 version ha! Shame on you. 360 has none of those bugs.

C: The game is phenomenal.

4: Admit it.....it was awesome.

E: You can turn auto aim off you noob. :P

Yeah watch out for those damn Cougars! Had a relative get hunted by one once, luckily he saw it in time and killed the damn thing.

Yahtzee is always going to go more on the negative parts of the games than the positive, especially on games that already receive a lot of critical attention/acclaim. That's what I like about him, he's a naysayer, a counter-balance to game reviewers that cushion games with higher scores that turn out to be rubbish. In Yahtzee-speak, going after things like staring at horse asses and having too many things to do is a sign that the game really is pretty solid, if not quite good. It's just funnier (and more Yahtzee-like) to go after all that other stuff.

For my personal input, I mostly agree with Yahtzee. This game is a time sink. But the thing is, I absolutely love it. Maybe it's just because I wanted to be a cowboy when I was six, but I really like the level of immersion and detail. It really does suck you in, or rather, me in I guess. I even enjoy the side games a lot, something I'm not usually a fan of. It's about as close to the wild west as I can get (though who knows, it might just be matching my romanticized version of history) without joining historical actors, so it's cheaper and I don't need to ignore modern society.

I must ask though, what platform were you playing this on? I realize bugs can be a very subjective issue for a game, but I really haven't had any for mine on the xbox 360. Might it be console-related bugs, or am I just that lucky?

Good review. Also, congrats on 150 videos.

I was hoping to see one of thouse Red Dead Redemption VS. Call of Juarez, like you did with prototype and Infamos.
But anyway a funny review like always.

Sovvolf:

Yeah I also loved the Windwaker sailing...

Anyways... The Prince of Persia movie wasn't shit, so... where are those pictures of you punching your self in your tiny unsatisfied testicles?.

yes, the sailing in Windwaker wasn't bad (except for the stupid sharks that'd knock you off the boat x.x bleh)

hahaha duude that movie was THE shit. but by his opinion it might be crap sooo...oh well (he might shake his googly-eyed rear at us again tho)

I've yet to experience a single glitch and I've been playing about 60 hours. I've found it so much more involving than GTA though. I didn't give much of a shit about Bellic. But Marsten and a few other (Luiza a couple of other quest givers) actually brought emotional responses out of me that weren't anger and frustration.

I find the bears much more dangers than the Mountain Lions...

This is what I love about Yahtzee reviewing games I actually like. It a lot funnier when you can relate to the things he's complaining about. Games I haven't liked aren't as good because, with a few exceptions like Mirror's Edge, I haven't had enough contact with the bad bits to get worked up about it. But when I've sunk as much time into a game as I have with RDR, it's incredibly funny to hear the things that have been bothering me ripped apart so mercilessly.

Yes, that's right Escapists (MH Tri fans I'm looking at you), I love Red Dead Redemption, and I love this review. Easily the funniest he's done in a while because I can relate to everything he said.

On a nit-pick note, however... Remember in the Saints Row 2 review when Yahtzee said that he'd have enjoyed the side missions more if the game hadn't forced him to complete them to continue the story? And now he's criticizing RDR because it didn't force him to do the side missions?

hmmm..... Might want to check that next time Yahtzee, or you'll be called a tosser.

Also, I'm surprised he didn't complain about how finicky the weapon select is, because honestly that's what bugs me the most.

Wow, for the first time since his Brawl review, I strongly disagree with Yahtzee. On the auto-aim mechanic, if guns would not hone in on targets shooting would be monumentously harder since it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference between the dark brown fence from the dark brown man in a dark brown trenchcoat while blood is covering the screen.

Still lol'd, though. He's the only entertainer that can piss me off while I piss myself laughing.

I spent a long time riding when I was starting too, then I realized I was doing it wrong.

Press Start. Map. Choose where you're going. Ride off the road. Campsite. Travel to Waypoint. Bam, you're done.

Great review as always and I agree the best part of the game that had me coming back was the writing atmosphere and immersion

I'm going to assume Yahtzee didnt beat the game or even get to the last area seeing as he thinks the mountain lions are the most annoying natural foe.

Also, seriously Yahtzee, if you dont like auto-aim in a game atleast check out the options to see if you can turn it off before pointing it out as one of your issues. You can switch to Expert aim mode in RDR and its gone.

What's this? A glitchy Rockstar game? How can it be- oh wait it's because it's a Rockstar game.

Now I'm tempted to type in "Red Dead Redemption" glitches into Youtube and see what hilarity ensues. I bet you could make an hour long video about just that.

AT last a newer Zero Puntuaction! i was getting dependent...

HAHA! Yes! I really enjoyed Yahtzee's review this week. It's actually kind of sad because all the bugs he mentioned, I never saw, but I've heard of from my friends. It depends from disc to disk. I remember having to go to Mo Ban Var's hideout about ten times before he was actually there for me to capture, but I truly loved the free roaming and wide range of activities.

Seems he liked it near the end.

I found the game to be fun, if a little bit short.

mortalsatsuma:
He had a point regarding the mountain lions (or Cougars) there is nothing more annoying than getting blind-sided by one then killing it, only for 5 more to show up.

I never see more than 1 or 2, but after a bit you get used to hearing them.

squidbuddy99:
Wow, for the first time since his Brawl review, I strongly disagree with Yahtzee. On the auto-aim mechanic, if guns would not hone in on targets shooting would be monumentously harder.

I don't know, even with the auto aim off I found the game pathetically easy, still a good game, but definitely not challenging....=/

Oh Yahtzee, will you ever run out of things to hate upon?

In all seriousness though, as much praise as this game has received, I'm pretty surprised such huge glitches are present in a retail product.

This one kind of disappointed me because of some of the sillier gripes. If you don't mash A and actually walk through doorways you won't have a problem, walking is an option because theres a place for it, and for christsakes just turn the autoaim off! I actually didn't understand the money complaint much either. I found myself short on money a few times, my friend didn't but thats because he skinned a lot of animals and did more side quests, which to me means the money system works just the way its supposed to. oh well, looking forward to next week.
I didn't encounter these glitches either but I heard plenty of other people did.

Hmm, seems to me like the PS3 version is much more buggy than the 360 version, that's unfortunate. I was hoping for commentary on how everyone says Mr. Marston in EVERY sentence.

Pretty good review. Hopefully I won't run into these same problems on the 360 version, and hopefully the game will arrive via Gamefly sometime before Max Payne 3..

no matter how funny Yahtzee is his reviews always have tuth to them

The only major bug I've seen while playing the singleplayer was when, once in a while, some people in the salloons and such were standing on top of their chairs instead of sitting in them. It rather funny, if nothing else.

I haven't seen any of the bugs mentioned in the video, so now I'm curious and want to see them.

I have to admit that the multiplayer was somewhat annoying when I would get booted back to Free Roam due to "connectivity issues" or some such tripe while trying to take a bandit hideout with a posse.

squidbuddy99:
Wow, for the first time since his Brawl review, I strongly disagree with Yahtzee. On the auto-aim mechanic, if guns would not hone in on targets shooting would be monumentously harder since it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference between the dark brown fence from the dark brown man in a dark brown trenchcoat while blood is covering the screen.

Still lol'd, though. He's the only entertainer that can piss me off while I piss myself laughing.

Well on expert mode (which I was on... not out of choice at first... just when I put the game on and began to shoot... that's what it was set at and I get used to it) it's usually best to take cover and pick your shots carefully. I dislike auto-aim in most games, takes out most of the skill involved. My Cousin used auto-aim and didn't really need to use cover... just aimed on an enemies and unloaded.

I loved RDR, but the riding around for missions was very tedious. I swear, Rockstar built Mexico in such a way as to maximize the time you spend on a horse.

Nomanslander:

I don't know, even with the auto aim off I found the game pathetically easy, still a good game, but definitely not challenging....=/

I agree, I never took the aim off expert, and I breezed through most missions. I think it would have been better without regenerating health. That would make the medicine and vittles actually worth something. And They should have made dead eye like they did in Free Roam i.e. you actually have to shoot something in order to charge it. Still a great game, though, and a great review.

"I loled many times"
#BTW: und natürlich ^^

Hooray for obscure Simpsons references!

And seriously, why flowers?

Funny as always. I finished the game about a week ago and I didn't really run into any of these problems. Controls are pretty good in my opinion (Though the auto-aim is beyond ridiculous) and I didn't notice a single bug. All in all, I thought the game was really good, and like Yahtzee said, VERY atmospheric.

I've noticed a larger number of WoW references lately, can I to trash it so my life can be complete? On a more pertinent matter, thank you for reassuring me that a game I would never buy is worth never buying.

This is a good review. I myself think RDR is a great game but like I have said on other posts here it just didn't float my boat. After two days of playing and spending some time in Mexico I have just not brought my self back to playing it since.

I played Splinter Cell and that had me hooked.

He forgot to mention the last few agonizingly boring missions in which you live the life of a rancher for a couple weeks.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here