Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

I'm quite distressed now because my political views were expressed by an imp on a horse in this video.

In my point of view, word of Red Dead Redemption just came out of nowhere, then for the week it's released people are treating it like it's the biggest thing.
Sort of annoyed me, but now it has this review, which eases things for me.

Nothing of what Yahtzee complained about happened to me. I thought it was a near perfect game. Way better than what its credited for ( even though most critics are saying 9.0-10.0 )

I called my horse Lord Saddler.And you inject Horse,you don't eat it.

RMcD94:
What the hell? Every time I click play it plays as if there is two of them?! Only one image, but two overriding sounds?

So you suffered a glitch watching a video that complains about glitches (among other things)?

heh.. be careful your computer doesn't get STUCK IN A WALL

The funniest thing that could get anyone to like that game is the sex scene that had reyes decimating that peasant, funniest sh!t ever.

Really ood review this week, going to wait for the price to go down before I get the game.

Frankly, the glitches are so infrequent it's hardly worth bringing up. I think I've only had three instants where the game glitched on me, with two of them requiring restarting from my last save point which was just minutes before heading to the event that glitched.

Once again I think this was a nitpick rant, because he was pulling on the smallest things to make a video. He obviously liked the game. Except for the cougars, and rightfully so. Fuck those bastards. Personally, I think cougars and bears are the most annoying thing in the game. Their attacks can kill you in one or two hits, they are usually quiet, and the game always spawns things behind you so you don't see it appear.

But I think Rockstar did a great job of bringing a large world that felt alive. Having animals roaming around and the random events that you can come across while crossing the wastelands. It all adds to the immersion of an uncivilized and dangerous landscape. And I love that Rockstar didn't try to idealize the "wild west" as some great place of adventure. They toss in all the intolerance and ignorance that plagued that era of time.

If I had to nitpick myself, I wish the NPCs weren't always talking about the main character. I get that you get famous, but damn all I ever hear is "John Marston this" and "John Marston that". Ack, shut up and talk about something else or I'm going to toss dynamite at every one of you!

Gameplay is pretty similar to the GTA games but the change of scenery was nice. Lord knows how many games we have set in a modern New York lookalike city.

As far as glitches, I haven't encountered really any, only time I can recall a glitch for me was in a mission when a bridge is suppose to explode, it plays the graphics but the bridge magically appears intact again. Also about those mountain lions, I was always cautious around where they roam so before I skinned or picked a flower I looked around for them. :P

You can fast-travel from anywhere to anywhere in the game, so the travel time's not really an issue... There are also tons of scripted events you can run into in the wilderness, too. There's tons'a people there, mostly cannibals. And the side quest aren't so much for their own sake as they are for your honor/fame's sake... And I never once had an issue with the controls. Maybe Yahtzee got the PS3 version or something? Apart from that it was a fairly spot on if not all that humorous review. Only seven days until the next one. ^^

Haro:
Yahtzee is always going to go more on the negative parts of the games than the positive, especially on games that already receive a lot of critical attention/acclaim. That's what I like about him, he's a naysayer, a counter-balance to game reviewers that cushion games with higher scores that turn out to be rubbish. In Yahtzee-speak, going after things like staring at horse asses and having too many things to do is a sign that the game really is pretty solid, if not quite good. It's just funnier (and more Yahtzee-like) to go after all that other stuff.

If you watch enough of his videos you can start being able to tell when he thinks a game is awful and when he is just pointing out the flaws and not saying it's terrible. Nice to see other people who can understand when he's being negative for the sake of it or being negative because it is truly terrible.

OT (kinda): Yahtzee and others may already know it, but RDR is a "sequel" to Red Dead Revolver. That game the main character's name was Red, his family was Dead, and he was on a quest for revenge with his Revolver... so that one makes sense. Though the only similarities are it's western and the bullet time. Quick draw duels was a big thing in Revolver.

"Bugs"
"Nitpicking"
"Bugs"
"Some rather forced jokes"
"Bugs"
"Great game"

Not a bad episode, at least he played it.

Good review, although I must admit this was one of my favorite games, and when I played through it, on the 360, I got none of those bugs you mentioned. Anyways, IIRC, one of your biggest complaints, after the review, was that GTA IV couldn't "make a decision between wacky fun and gritty realism". Given how you tend to stick to the main story, you may or may not have encountered this, but

Sidequest spoilers inside:

Oh, and no mention of the ending? That was probably the most shocking part of the game.

Story spoilers inside:

Yet again Yahtzee proves that his "reviews" aren't really reviews. They are funny videos where he rant about things he doesn't like about games. And when there aren't much to rant about, he has to nitpick it to death. It was a funny video, that it was. As usual.

But for all of you sheep who won't buy this game solely because your god Yahtzee said this and that about it... here is a few points you should know about:
1: I have clocked down about 50 hours of playtime. My girlfriend about 15. All that time we have seen one glitch combined, and it wasn't game breaking.
2: You can turn off auto-aim if you want. Which makes it a silly thing to rant about.
3: When you have your gun out you run by default. So his problem with holding a button to run is also kinda stupid, as that would mostly be a problem in combat.
4: Mr. Marston is a lot better than Niko, and I loved GTAIV. So that says something.
5: The physics rock. I don't think you can get closer to reality when it comes to physics. Seeing enemies being shot in the knee, making them stumble, catch themselves from falling by holding a table, trying to shoot but not quite hitting anything because they are in pain then falling over... it is awesome, mark my words.

He is right when he say it is beautifully written. Heck, the game is generally beautiful, albeit pretty gloomy. It is my GOTY, and probably the best game I have played for years.

When I finished watching this review, I was about to click away to another site when I said to myself "wait, lets see what the flamers had to say!" I was not disappointed.

Yes again I find myself completely agreeing with everything he brought up (even the Zelda thing, uz honestly I didn't even know people had a problem with the sailing in that before I saw his Phantom Hourglass review where he made the incinerator joke.) But I guess the whole only doing things for its own sake is wasted on achievement whores like myself, who find our lives vindicated by how many blip noises we can get our games to make. I did love the story though. Makes me wonder if he beat it, since most people I know either hated the ending or loved it unconditionally, and since he usually talks about weather the ending is bad or good in a game (usually to just go on about how that doesn't change the fact that its bad/good) I was suprised he didn't mention it.

And it may just be a coincidence, but I'm starting to suspect Yahtzee favors the ThatGuyWithTheGlasses site, judging by the Mega Shark v.s. Giant Octopus reference. Though that might just be me...

Great review Yahtzee, though i have to disagree with you on the controls. I thought they were good(not the horse controls though) and i eventually got very good with them.

YAHTZEE I LOVE YOU, what you say is true, my mate brought his copy of the game to me hosue the other day and though it was good but there are many flaws like the ones you pointed out. Pandas!

RMcD94:
What the hell? Every time I click play it plays as if there is two of them?! Only one image, but two overriding sounds?

Edit: Okay, I got it fixed.

I haven't experienced many glitches at all, and I'm excited that I'll get to sail later on (if I ever get there, I'm stuck on an unbeatable shoot out on what appears to be the last mission in Mexico against the general). Not an overly funny one, made me chuckle/smile a couple o' times though.

You never sail in that game, unless you count you're "loveboat" experience with Irish. Why couldn't i shoot him dead...

Fairly sure its a Cougar, coz when I got insta-killed in multiplayer it said blah blah blah was killed by a Cougar

Kungfu_Teddybear:
Funny review as always but complaining about the snapshot aim is pointless because you can turn that off...and yes...those fucking Mountain Lions are so annoying...not as annoying as the hunting mission where you have to kill a Grizzly Bear with just the melee knife though...god that took me ages.

That was a piece of piss, you can just circle-strafe bears to knife them.

Mountain lions are digital feline rapists.

Ah, Yathzee is finaly back into his former glory.

SonicKoala:
Hm, he spent the overwhelming majority of the review hating on the game, and then at the end we hear the words "beautifully written and beautifully atmospheric" - have to say, didn't see that coming. Regardless, it really seems like this game is worth checking out.

Really? You didn't think he'd say that one of Rockstar's games was pretty?

I love how you're taking that as a *OMG, I should take a look at this game*. There are many things in this world that are pretty to look at, but for videogames, that is the absolute last quality I need to have. You should read some other articles on this site, like the one "Experienced Points" that talks about graphics and how we don't need to progress any further in that department. I don't like to feel like a game is purposefully wasting my time - for me, riding through pretty landscape with little to nothing in the way of distraction is beyond boring. Not to say that I always need purpose in a game, but the only time where inbetween travel is fun is in Shadows of the Colossus; where I'm expected to find my way around without someone holding my hand, without a map, and, further, I will find a gargantuan boss to crawl all over and slay at the end of my journey.

Good man for mentioning the mountain lions, those bastards appear without warning at the worst possible times. I had one attack me while I was doing the challenge of knifing a goddamned grizzly bear. Fuck those guys. Good review as always though, can't say I experienced any of the glitches he talked about so lucky me I guess.

I've got a question. How the fuck do you get the god damn horse to maintain a gallop? I was trying to do that race against what's her name and if I didn't keep tapping the A button would slow down, but if I tapped it too many times the horse world buck me off. I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't pick on that.

Watching my brother, I saw plenty of Red and Dead.

I gather that he liked the game and that just gives me another reason to buy it and I will as soon as I forget some spoilers due to a certain someone on this site (he probably knows who he is, mr. red letters). In the meantime, I will go find that last shard on Infamous.

Funny review, though I can't really agree with a single element of it. Controls are rock solid in almost every aspect as well. The mini-games are an excellent addition. I mean poker in a saloon? How could they not include that? Sure you didn't really NEED money, but the game was far more enjoyable when you bought ammo rather than scavenge for it and having a satchel full of horse pills at all times didn't hurt either.

Podunk:
You can fast-travel from anywhere to anywhere in the game, so the travel time's not really an issue... There are also tons of scripted events you can run into in the wilderness, too. There's tons'a people there, mostly cannibals. And the side quest aren't so much for their own sake as they are for your honor/fame's sake... And I never once had an issue with the controls. Maybe Yahtzee got the PS3 version or something? Apart from that it was a fairly spot on if not all that humorous review. Only seven days until the next one. ^^

Last thing I'll say - if a game is released for multiple consoles, it's a fair expectation that it should play the same on both. I have a PS3, so I can't be expected to go out and buy the 360 version...I don't have both consoles, so that's an unfair thing to say, "maybe he got the wrong version?"

More like "maybe he was right, and the glitches are a problem in a huge, blockbuster title like this"

I never came across any bugs when I played it (PS3), though I fully understand about the NPC's trying to run you off the roads. Especially your prick of a son, he just kept veering right

:( Probably the first review of yours I really don't like at all. Apart from the fact that my 360-version of RDR really didn't let me down very often regarding bugs and glitches, the review doesn't quite "get" the game.

If you don't play the game on "moron" there is no auto-aiming whatsoever, being killed by a puma should learn you the lesson to be observative to your surroundings, you can save whereever you want and don't have to be set back to an old save point, all the tasks you "can" do are necessary to earn in-game-awards (new clothing, better abilities), but the most important thing about RDR (for me that is) is the story and its delivery. It's just brillant. :)

Your review in this case is rather nerdy and completely focused on gameplay and mechanics. That's okay in a racing game or in any arcade-style game, but here it's just missing the point. It's like reviewing Silent Hill 2 and spending 5 minutes on the bulky character movement. Justified, but missing the target.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through it and I've run into zero glitches. Must be a 360/ps3 thing.

It's weird because I agree with most of the criticisms, but still find myself really enjoying it. Much, much more that GTA4. The one thing that bugs me a lot, that he brought up, is not getting any rewards for the challenges. He's not totally correct in that the horse-breaking gives you new horses to buy, but since I've won all the races with the horse I got from the ranching mission, who cares. But all the sharpshooting and whatnot really should give you some kind of reward...

I haven't dipped into the multiplayer yet, I'm waiting for my friends to buy it. But I'm intrigued by the leveling system described by the manual. That might tickle my RPG gland....

You can tell Yahtzee is grasping for straws when he criticizes auto-aim that can be turned off and travel in between quests when you have the option to instant travel between two areas. I have had zero bugs in my version of the game (PS3). I guess some people are just unlucky.

Jaqen Hghar:
They are funny videos where he rant about things he doesn't like about games. And when there aren't much to rant about, he has to nitpick it to death.

Yes, but he's fielded that argument before. He's not a reviewer, he's a critic. He's also addressed the fact that he doesn't talk about the positives much:

"No on likes it when I'm nice to a game" -Orange Box (I think)

"You didn't come to me to hear how a game is good." -Batman AA

So he, and the rest of us, are well aware that he tends to ignore the good parts of a game. Additionally, all of the complaints he had were valid.

1.The glitches seem to be hit and miss, and more prevalent on the PS3. I haven't seen any, but I've talked to plenty of people who have.

2.There is no happy medium with the aim assist. Auto-aim is too easy on foot, but the manual aiming is too slow and requires too many fingers on a horse. (seriously, I need two thumbs on my right hand to aim and run while on a horse, unless I want to use my left thumb to aim, at which point I can't steer).

4. Personal taste

3. & 5.
"I loved GTAIV" - You
That's why you didn't have a problem with it. You're used to the way the character handles. I didn't mind it either, because I played GTAIV a lot. However, I watched someone who hadn't played GTA and they had a very hard time adjusting to the controls. I had a hard time when I started playing GTA so I know it's the same thing.

Here's a rule of thumb: If you think a game is perfect without any flaws, don't watch Yahtzee's review of it.

My1stLuvJak:
More like "maybe he was right, and the glitches are a problem in a huge, blockbuster title like this"

Anyone with eyes could'a seen there'd be glitches, what with the internal issues during development, the fact the game was pushed back from it's initial release date, and just how overambitious of a game it was in the first place. Not to mention that it's a current-gen game. You're not allowed to fix all of your bugs and glitches before release, it's like some sort of rule or something. At least the game never crashed or had any kind of fatal issue for me, unlike certain Bioshock 2's I could mention(twice).

junkmanuk:
Jesus ZP I just don't know what you want from games these days. You cry out for proper sandboxing and when you get it you criticise it for being a timesink. As for complaining about mountain lions doing what mountain lions do. I.e. hunt in packs and attempt rip you open?! You gave your horse a goddamn name for goodness sake - how much more sandboxy can it get?!

Oh, and I really haven't experienced any of the glitches or bugs that are so vehemently described in this review despite playing for about 20 hours. I really think they're overblown.

He's a comedian, not a critic, the sooner you stop taking his reviews seriously, the sooner they become more amusing, trust me, I've stopped taking him seriously for about 4 vids now, and I'm enjoying ZP more as a result. >_<

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here