Critical Miss: #9

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

In the third panel it looks like she has the boobs of an eighty year old.

Whut?
I don't get it. She eats the cake... And what?

I'd say that that was the first one I've found funny, but then I checked the comments and instantly saw loads of people that 'didn't get it'.

I thought it was good.

Hmm... that was somewhat poor compared to earlier comics. No offense intended but, I just didn't see the humour.

Lucane:

Jaranja:

FogBird:
Didn't get it. What?

It's a dream for that to happen to her but she knows there's always a catch. The catch here is that "Deus Ex: Invisible War" was crap.

I thought it was just the guy trying to butter her up and buy her review of the game and her seeing pass it and then playing the game and finding out it was terrible.

No, I'm right! MNEH!

This gets my absurd humour gland working overtime. I lol'd.

That is my exact fantasy, only replace David Boreanaz with James Marsters. Mmmm.

loves2spooge:
In the third panel it looks like she has the boobs of an eighty year old.

hah! yea, this was like the first strip we did after the contest but Im getting better with my consistency on comics Im working on now (which will be coming out soon) and though Im not 100%, I think I got at least her breasts down now. If not those at least the shape of her face.

...Wow, a generic joke about a game being bad. I agree, but it takes more than that to make me laugh.

Sonofadiddly:
That is my exact fantasy, only replace David Boreanaz with James Marsters. Mmmm.

Agreed. It should definitely be James there. I suggested it too, but even when I said, "someone agrees with me" I got the too cheesy line.

Too cheesy bah. He's gorgeous.

I don't get it. :/

Eh, as much as I might regret it later I'm kind of looking forward to human revolution.

I actually found that pretty funny!

Those who have doubts about Deus Ex 3 should at least read the PC Gamer UK article on it in the new issue, however.

Thought it was brilliant! Genuinely amusing. Sometimes things really are just TOO good.

*substitutes David Boreanaz for Matt Smith/David Tennant/Bradley James/Nathan Fillion*

I don't get it. Every other time I didn't really get the funny in any of the comics, I didn't really get the jokes. This time, this one time I think to myself "Haha, that's funny, I get it!", everyone else DOESN'T get it and thinks it's not funny?

What the fuck is going on here?!

Muh huh huhhhh. I think this is my last Critical Miss. I'm sorry, I've tried I really have but I just don't get it. I don't find them funny!

Brilliant comic!
But heyyy... Invisible War wasn't so bad. It had it's moments.
I suppose I played it before DE 1, but the first game just as enjoyable as I would of having played it first.

You know if Deus Ex 2 had been called the adventures of futureman in an oddly modern world, i think it would have done a lot better. The universal ammo was absolute crap, but there was alot of other stuff in that game that was well worth it.

afaceforradio:
Muh huh huhhhh. I think this is my last Critical Miss. I'm sorry, I've tried I really have but I just don't get it. I don't find them funny!

No! Hold on.. that Hamster Badge is on its way... it has to be.. *twitch*

Woooooo, Deus Ex 3!!!!!

Here's the joke explained:

The girl could see that the event of David Boreanez and cake was God's way of sugar coating the fact that Deus Ex 2 was a bit rubbish. But she didn't realise how bleeding awful the game truly was until she played it. (Though she had a good idea it was going to be pretty bad.)

Personally, I thought this comic strip was pretty good.

Deus Ex 2: decent game, but not for a sequel to Deus Ex.

Now I'm certain this will be the last critical Miss I'll read. This comic is the only Escapist feature that really sucks.

SomeBoredGuy:
Eehhh... the joke just fell flat. I hate to say this, but this comic really has become a constant series of "Critical Misses".

My thoughts as well. 'Brosplosion' is the one-hit wonder, the others from the contest were mediocre, and every single new one has been awful. This one is particularly bad: the joke is telegraphed in panel 1, again in panel 3, and the joke is "I didn't like an old game." Ugh.
Oh well, just something else I won't bother with again...

While I do sense a lack in quality compared to the first four comics presented at the contest, I can still see some potentional. It just seems that now that the comic has become a "job" the creators seems to have lost a bit of the spark they had.

The jokes are flat and they run medicore throughout the entire strip - this is the case in all of them - and they don't really bring out a laugh. Of course, this is entirely subjective to persons humour. I think I can say that compared to, let's say, Stolen Pixel, a comic that also have a set of jokes running through the entire strip, Critical Miss doesn't seem to manage to achieve the same sense of acomplishment.

But then again this is just my opinion on a subject were everyone can, and will, have their say on.

This just ain't my cup of tea, but nonetheless, good luck with it in the future.

Wow, people are idiots sometimes.
To everyone going "This is lame", I put it to you: How about you try releasing a weekly webcomic? (Anyone here who has is exempt)
It's still starting up. Go back to the original Unskippables and Zero Punctuations, a lot of them aren't great as the people behind them worked out what worked and what didn't, and now they are the epically awesome creations we all know and love.

Also, HOW did so many people miss the joke? It's OBVIOUS!

On the actual comic, ouch, how bad is that game that DB and cake wasn't enough of a trade off? I'll make a note to avoid it.

I still cannot fathom what was hated so much about Deus Ex: Invisible War.

I am seeing it as one of those nostalgic things a little like those bitching about Fallout 3 and Bioshock as they loved Fallout 1/2 and System Shock 1/2.

ChaosDemon:
Wow, people are idiots sometimes.
To everyone going "This is lame", I put it to you: How about you try releasing a weekly webcomic? (Anyone here who has is exempt)
It's still starting up. Go back to the original Unskippables and Zero Punctuations, a lot of them aren't great as the people behind them worked out what worked and what didn't, and now they are the epically awesome creations we all know and love.

First off... a lot of people are willing to argue that Zero Punctuation has actually degraded in quality and I'd agree. He doesn't have his heart into it as much as he does his lovely Mana Bar. But good for him, not that I mind or anything that it's on the other side of the Earth, no... not at all.

Now back to the comic... My concern is with the writing, which is something I've done time to time. I get the joke, I understand where it's driving at... but it doesn't make me laugh. Possibly because Deus Ex: Invisible War has been picked on so much that I've become immune to any joke that pretty much equates to the punchline of this comic. It's like that "The cake is a lie!" joke; it died fast -- if it ever began.

Could also be that I found the game enjoyable. I didn't look at its big brother and said that it has large shoes to fill, I just played the darn thing. I played it for what it was and to me it played just fine.

And telling people to go out and make a webcomic... have you made a webcomic? Because if not, what you're using is faulty logic that fails to prove anything. Critics exist so that something can be taken down a peg, it keeps the creators grounded in reality and that there is a fault that needs repair. The fault with this is the four panel pacing and punchlines falling flat. The joke was given away before we even got to the second panel, that only works if you're being "stupidly" obvious about it. This wasn't being "stupidly" obvious about it, this was trying to pace itself and build up to it which it couldn't because we all knew where it was going.

See, to me... they could have cut the second panel and given David Boreanaunsauhflfhsafh... that guy his introduction as he's giving Critical Miss there a footrub in its place. Have her find out that Deus Ex: Invisible War doesn't live up to the original Deus Ex in the third panel and then the other guy can say in the fourth, "So you... don't want to get footrubbed by David Boreanaz again?" and she can either say she's moved on, that David was too clingy or "Well I didn't say that."
Which - with that last one - leaves the hidden subtext that some people don't know what they want and that you can't please everyone when it comes to sequels. Cause she'll get disappointed that she didn't get her footrub but got a good game or she'll be disappointed that she didn't get a good game but got a footrub, either way she's going to be disappointed.

That would have been better to me, but that's me. And I haven't written a script for a comic in months, so I don't know how out of touch I am with this. Plus I hardly know these characters like Decoy (Grey Carter) over there, so I wouldn't fault him if he corrected me on her attitude.

Finally, this is all subjective. However, just because I disagree with the punchlines and the set ups, that doesn't make me an idiot.

I thought Deus Ex 2 was decent enough...not a great game but certaintly not terrible.

good comic but i see an out of tens logo. Is that you in a previous era.

(Please note : sarcasm is hard to portray in text)

signingupforgames:
good comic but i see an out of tens logo. Is that you in a previous era.

(Please note : sarcasm is hard to portray in text)

That's us bucking the system.
And sticking it to the man.

Or it's me fucking up. Again.

I don't care what anyone says, David and cake is MORE than enough compensation for invisible war...

Heh heh heh, that was a really hot good one.

David Boreanaz? Helen Sweetheart of the Internet had Pierce Brosnan. But then again Boreanaz wasn't in Mrs. Doubtfire. The question, I guess, is is Angel cooler than James Bond? Who'd win in a fight? You know, I don't think anyone ever voiced that combo before. Who would win in a fight? The world's most self absorbed secret agent or the world's sulkiest vampire?

ok can someone please make a list of what was so bad about the second one? cause i mean the first was excellent and i have been putting off playing the second because of bad reviews...but i do want to give it a shot...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here