Rebecca Mayes Muses: How to Write a Song in One Hour

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

How to Write a Song in One Hour

Rebecca wrote you a song, in only one hour!

The Epic Win is now available worldwide on iTunes and is available in her website store!

Be sure to join Rebecca Mayes Muses Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

That was some good stuff, i enjoyed it. Probably quite a lot of guitar players on the escapist who appreciated that like me.

can you answer my question how do get the phone to stand up straight a recorde yourself. wont it just fall (unless your phone has a flat bottem)

Really enjoyed this video :]

For some reason the song(s) gave me goosebumps, which is quite a feat seeing as it's boiling in my room right now.

Also, don't mind a little bit of cheese ;]

I would love to write a song. But I have two major issues. 1) I'm not very poetic. and 2) I can't play a musical instrument. Any musical instrument.

Also from this video it's clear that you have an immense talent for music and writing songs. And that is something very few people are privileged with.

And thank you for that lovely song. ^^ I'm really looking forward to next weeks "controversial song".

EDIT: But those two issues aren't going to stop me from trying...

That was lovely. :D

Nice jerb :) was entertaining

When you say next week do you mean your next episode or next Friday, the 18th?

That was sweet, and fun to watch! :)

Thank you Rebecca! I was just done fiddling with my own guitar when I saw you. You made me pick it up again and try to get a little more out of it than random notes. It's been quite long ago since i wrote something cohesive. Your video made me remember how difficult but also how beautiful and forfilling the craft of songwriting is.

Big hug from the Netherlands

i really enjoyed this episode.
good luck with the Yatzhee song, i'm sure it's goanna be great.

p.s
it's too bad i can't use these instructions, the only insturmant i know to play is the Clarinet, and you can't sing while playing it.

Ohhhh! Actually pretty insightful! Epic!

And gl with Yahtzee!

I was wondering what I would see upon reading the title.

Love it! Always enjoy seeing an artist's work procedure.

Jacob Ward:
When you say next week do you mean your next episode or next Friday, the 18th?

I meant next episode 25th June. I need all the time I can get :$

Phenom828:
I would love to write a song. But I have two major issues. 1) I'm not very poetic. and 2) I can't play a musical instrument. Any musical instrument.

i to suffer front hose problems
the closest thing to an instrument is a recorder and it can get bent (also i melted it down into a wad of plastic after grade six)
i could maybe do a silly video to pair with your music

also can't wait for the Yahtzee's song( i hope that is not the name of it)

HOLY CRAP. That is, almost word for word, exactly how I write songs. Like The whole bit about just coming up with something basic, and then just singing random words till you find something you like, that is exactly, what I do. And thats just plain awesome.

Phenom828:

I feel the same, I fear if I did write something it would be so horrible i'd have to hide my face away from public forever, or get a contract on disney.

Still I think the escapist is very lucky to have such a talented person posting videos here. Chances are i'll eventually buy the cd when I next have money.

*laughs* Thank you very much for the song! I loved it - made me laugh. The 25th, eh? Day before my birthday, so nice timing. ;) I look forward to it!

Let's get one thing straight. I don't particularly like "Rebecca May's muses". But this title got me thinking, since I always seem to cock up whenever I get an idea. I might have to jot stuff down or tape it, that's actually a really good idea...

I liked this video, since it shows the dedication behind the 3 minute videos that make it online.

Good luck on writing on Yahtzee, not sure if his psyche can be caught in 3 minutes though...

I like these videos of yours that show us all a little of what you do to do what you do. Normally I see stuff behind the scenes and i think to myself "I wanted to watch the show not this" but yours are funny but not too much so it can still be taken seriously, interesting and informative all at the same time.

Good luck on your song for Yahtzee. I hear he is quite a tough critic to please. :P

Awww, that video was adorable! Such a QT3.14159265358979. I always look forward to your new videos, it's one of my favourite series on the site.

zombie711:
can you answer my question how do get the phone to stand up straight a recorde yourself. wont it just fall (unless your phone has a flat bottem)

I suggest propping it up against a book or somting with an item of clothing underneath. but yer the first 30secs of footage will generally be you scuffling around and swearing.

Thanks for all the well wishes for Yahtzee song!

That was cool.
The pondering in the lyrics reminds me of back when I was a youth on AOL chat rooms.
At the beginning it was very "A/S/L".

I fancy your voice though and the guitar was kind of Firefly-ish. Asian and Anglo at the same time.

Thanks! Cheers!

nice one really helpd me creat an song
that one thing you sayd abut not censoren my self really helpd i mean really really hepld me thank you vrey much

That was very cool. I enjoyed the tips on how to write the music, and the part about being ourselves definitely holds true... Although I really haven't ever written a song, I have written poetry in the slam style and often I'll find that I have this wonderful idea to start but then the idea transforms as it gets translated from my brain to my pen, so I imagine that writing a song is similar... it won't be quite the same as I had intended but something of it will still be there...

On Topic-ish: Do you accept instrumental uploads? I can play, but I cannot sing. Or, at least, I wouldn't want to put my voice up on the net. I'd rather have the guitar strings do the speaking and leave my own weary chords alone.

Oh, right, and I wanted to mention that I loved the lowered bass note that occurred about halfway through the song, but that could be because I just love that sound in general.

Being true...having fun..isn't this the basis for most great works of art?

I feel it is. Nice little song for all of us Rebecca, We'll be looking forward to the dayview of Yahtzee's song.

Reminded me somewhat of Dear Prudence by the Beatles.

If it's true you came up with that in an hour, that's very impressive.

I've written my song! I just can't work out where to put it :(, does anyone know?

AquaAscension:

On Topic-ish: Do you accept instrumental uploads? I can play, but I cannot sing. Or, at least, I wouldn't want to put my voice up on the net. I'd rather have the guitar strings do the speaking and leave my own weary chords alone.

Yes please

Firmanter:
I've written my song! I just can't work out where to put it :(, does anyone know?

Go to my website here http://rebeccamayes.com/gallery.html and click on send a fanmail. Yay! Can't wait to hear it.

Thanks!

If i would write something it probably wouldn't be very good...
I only really play electric guitar, and i am still a newb (so i know my powerchords but thats all for now)...
But if i think about creating a song for Yahtzee i would make it as fast as possible, no punctuation in the lyrics...

Brilliant.

Very cool video.
I've always envied good musical artists.

Not much else to say :\
This was fantastic! ^.^

You are probaly the only musican for me to charm me with your open spirit and send shivers down my spine at the same time. Really love how you are and write your songs, your voice is superb. I already have your album!

Thank you for this video you have inspired me to start writing songs again!

This is amazing and I will start writing tomorrow! And will post it as soon as I can!

You have always inspired me to do things that I wouldn't do like starting making music videos and learn to play the piano again!

Can't wait for the song for Yahtzee!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or