Stolen Pixels #203: While You Were Sleeping

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

in sonic adventure 2 shadow wakes up in a goverment building fights a giant robot and dicides to blow up earth

Oblivion: you tag along with Captain Picard who is about to be assassinated

Lmfao, interesting Pixel this one.

Mass Effect was really that typical bland tutorial, I rather preferred the first one who eased you in and held your attention.

And what are your opinions about Alpha Protocol anyways? I found it quite disappointing.

BlindTom:
Well I guess The Nameless One Counts, waking up on a mortuary slab to discover that you may not in fact be a corpse seems to fit the bill.

Yes, Planescape:Torment is the answer to every question.

I'm pretty sure that in Will Rock you had an intro and then you jumped right into the fray. I think the only thing you remembered was sleeping with your girlfriend or something. Then you killed Zeus or something. Went to Olympus so probably.

Chrono Trigger: I've just waken up and I'M MISSING THE FAIR!

P.S. Thanks

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, you wake up after the apocalypse just knocked you out and you're now a half demon.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, you wake up after being knocked out by your ship crashing in a kind of alternate universe and invisible demons get inside the ship.

World of Warcraft, the undead and draenei beginning.

DDO, your ship just got destroyed by a white dragon and you wake up on the beach.

Age of Conan, I think it's mostly the same as DDO.

Prototype, you wake up while some guys try to do an autopsy on you.

craddoke:

BlindTom:
Well I guess The Nameless One Counts, waking up on a mortuary slab to discover that you may not in fact be a corpse seems to fit the bill.

Yes, Planescape:Torment is the answer to every question.

Pretty much. It's turning into a real problem.

This one:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoomedHometown
ore this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionPrologue

If I remember well, The jacket had a quite cool Action Prologue, with a voice over of the protagonist saying something like: "I was twentyseven the first time I died"...

InFamous and Halo do that as well unless the walk to the bridge before being attacked doesn't count.

Lucane:
InFamous and Halo do that as well unless the walk to the bridge before being attacked doesn't count.

I would've thought Cole's being there when the blast goes off would take inFamous out of this category. Although I guess he does wake up from the coma later on to find out it's even worse than he thought.

Portal, as you find out.
also, Assassin's Creed, you 'wake up' imprisoned
AC2, you wake up and get busted out

Covarr:
Chrono Trigger: I've just waken up and I'M MISSING THE FAIR!

P.S. Thanks

That was the first one I thought of. Also, Earthbound: Wake Up, the town is under attack by aliens(I think? - it was a long time ago).

No mention of Fallout 3?
"Wakeup! Your father left the vault, and the overseer wants you dead!"

Banjo-Kazooie, you wake up and your sister's been kidnapped.

What does it say about me that this was the first example that popped into my head?

Truly-A-Lie:

Lucane:

I would've thought Cole's being there when the blast goes off would take inFamous out of this category. Although I guess he does wake up from the coma later on to find out it's even worse than he thought.

Plus he doesn't recall what happened before waking up in the crater till after he crosses the bridge and then is again unconscious to be sort of bed ridden/recovering while the city go falls to chaos.

Morrowind; you wake up, sign papers to show that you are offically released to... a small nod towards a plot and a massive world to explore. I don't think I ever started the plot.

As soon as I read the first two panels I thought: Space Quest!

Also Aion starts with you waking up, although I don't remember if that goes for both sides.

Then there are (I think) all the Zelda games.

Saints Row 2, you wake up in prison- handily, after plastic surgery (which can include gender reassignment and change of skin colour).

Arguably, you've just woken up (or at least recently woken up) at the start of the original Half Life (you're on the transport in from the accommodation zone, and late for work. Similar goes for the Blueshift expansion.

Gears of War, if that counts. You sorta wake up, your buddy busts you out of prison and now you're in the military. Here's a chainsaw, go have some fun.

Pegasus? Really?

sniperworm:
That really does prove nothing good ever comes from being woken up.

Unless you, ye know, save the world or something afterwards......

I think the point of the article is starting the game to waking up to imminent danger, not just waking up to start the game.

In Unreal you wake up in a recently-crashed prison shipped, with almost no survivors.

DJ Lord Destructocon:
Can't forget about Golden Sun. Wake up and the town is being attacked by a volcano or meteors or something at least that does a shitload of destruction.

And then your mom realizes you've forgotten your coat and grabs it for you. With telekinesis. That manifests as a giant glowing hand.

I love that game.

really?

no Shadowrun love?

in the Shadowrun game for the NES [I think, could of been the Sega], you wake up in a morgue after being mistaken for dead.

Zenode:
Seriously........i hate you for linking to TV Tropes..there goes another few hours of my life

Maybe...i could create that page?

There's not much stopping you. Aside from losing yet another few hours of your life.

(And really, if you only shot a few hours on TVTropes, you're doing better than most of us. I think I'm into several hundred hours wasted reading that thing and the stuff it links to. What's that? Interesting wrinkle on the acquisition of super powers? Oh look, it's a web comic with 400 pages of archives to read... That'll suck up the evenings until the weekend.

hellsop:

Zenode:
Seriously........i hate you for linking to TV Tropes..there goes another few hours of my life

Maybe...i could create that page?

There's not much stopping you. Aside from losing yet another few hours of your life.

(And really, if you only shot a few hours on TVTropes, you're doing better than most of us. I think I'm into several hundred hours wasted reading that thing and the stuff it links to. What's that? Interesting wrinkle on the acquisition of super powers? Oh look, it's a web comic with 400 pages of archives to read... That'll suck up the evenings until the weekend.

Ohhh i have lost moer than a few hours, like you its a few hundred.....i think i have had something like 32 tabs open at once and read them all...goddamn that site

bioshock 2, fallout 3, cryostasis, portal. It's pretty funny when you think about how many games start with you waking up. i think prototype does it too, also saints row 2 if explosion induced comas count.

I think in dragon age origins being a human noble. little side quest in the beginning where you seduce someone and after it shows you both sleeping in the bed there is a knock on the door and the person dies and the castle is under attack.

Lake Deuteronomy:
Fallout 3 has a variation, with the 'leave the vault quest', waking up to your dad having left and radroaches and security guards attacking.

Hell, go back even further.

"You have been born, and your mother is under attack from post-natal complications!"

GruntOwner:
In Baldur's Gate 2 you wake up from having been continuously tortured for a while. That SORT of counts, though it's more similar to TES openings.

Um... wut?

Daggerfall begins with you being sent on a mission, then getting stranded in a cave after your ship wrecks.
Morrowind starts with you being unloaded from a ship as a prisoner and going through "customs".
Oblivion starts with you in jail, then you follow the King when he uses a passage in your cell to sneak out of the castle.

Granted I haven't played Arena, so maybe that's the exception, but otherwise none of the TES games start with you anywhere near being tortured.

Irridium:
In Fallout 3 you wake up by being born.

If that counts.

I'd say Fallout 3 counts since the actual game starts with you being woken-up by one of your friends and being informed that the guards are after you for reasons that neither you, nor your character, are really aware of. Chaos happens, you leave the fault, yadda yadda yadda, you save the world (or at least the DC area).

Chrono Trigger, you wake up and have to go to a fair.

PhilWal:
Slept Through The Apocalypse?

I was thinking that one, for the most part. Especially when dealing with gaming.

Either that, "Good Morning Crono" or "Wake Up, Go To School, Save the World".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here