E3 2010: Xbox 360 Slim Announced, Shipping Today

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

E3 2010: Xbox 360 Slim Announced, Shipping Today

With a 250GB hard drive, built-in WiFi, and a sleeker, smaller design, the redesigned Xbox 360 "slim" is real ... and it's coming out, um, today. Wow.

Earlier this year, we learned that a redesigned "slim" Xbox 360 was allegedly in production. Well, sometimes rumors are completely accurate: The Xbox 360 Slim is real, and at its E3 2010 press conference, Microsoft announced that it would be shipping the units to stores ...

...today.

Talk about your last-minute announcements, huh?

It comes with built-in WiFi (no more pricey network adapters!), redesigned hardware that is supposedly "whisper quiet" and hopefully much less prone to the dreaded Red Ring of Death, a 250GB hard drive, and costs the same as the standard Xbox 360 - $299. It'll be in stores by the end of the week.

That is, unless you were lucky enough to be in the audience at the press conference, in which case Microsoft gave you one free. I am so jealous right now. It's like Microsoft is being run by Oprah Winfrey.

Catch everything you missed from the Xbox 360 E3 2010 presser here!

Keep track of our E3 2010 coverage here.

Damn that's awesome. It's not enough to make me buy a whole new console that's pretty much the same as my current one, especially with Kinect coming, but it's nice to see this.

I might get one...

Certainly impressed that they were able to keep this quiet

However, it doesn't interest me, and the entire press conferance was a dissapointment.

What the fuck, no fair! Now I wanna be a press guy, er, I mean journalist.

Anyway, it's nice to see built in WiFi in the thing. If ever I am to get an XboX 360, this is the one I'll buy.

FUCK!!! I just bought a replacement one two weeks ago....

Since my launch day 360 sounds like a jet engine taking off I might pick this up.

I knew there was going to be a new model! Been waiting since Jan to buy one but my waiting has paid off! :D

They'd have to have done some pretty serious optimization of the hardware to make it survive overheating in an even smaller space...

Plus, it'll be even more susceptible to bumps.

Ah well, it might work out fine, but still, it's tricky.

Umm, unfair.

I really hope that this means that the price of the network adapters is going to go down. This is a very good opportunity for anybody who is just getting the console though, internal hardrive, quite, and wifi adapter.

Lucky bastards though in the audience though,

I've had my Xbox since release, and it hasn't broken, so I have no plans on getting one.
That, along with an extra Xbox 360 Arcade I have lying around will keep me satisfied for quite a while.

monnes:
Certainly impressed that they were able to keep this quiet

However, it doesn't interest me, and the entire press conferance was a dissapointment.

Did they show any new games?

I JUST bought a new 250 GB hard drive a few weeks ago for fucking 125 dollars!

And I just bought an adapter for 60 on Amazon in February.

And a new 360 last August.

God damn it...

They're 5 years into it's cycle, it all seems a bit late in the game to me, even Natal...

New 360 is stupidly sexy. now I just have to wait for my 360 to crap out to justify the purchase...

-m

Matt_LRR:
New 360 is stupidly sexy. now I just have to wait for my 360 to crap out to justify the purchase...

-m

Exactly the same feeling. Never thought that I'd be HOPING for a reason for my 360 to break.

Oh... my... god... Microsoft giving something for free! Run for cover the sky is falling!
But now thinking, it may be an evil scheme to sell at least x kinect units.
(Where x stands for the number of the participants on the floor)

Microsoft: Xbox 360 slim. all new! this hasn't been done before at all!
Sony: Well....
Microsoft: Shut up!
OT: i see it as another waste of money

I have to say, that is a sexy, sexy machine.

Wait it's black, shiney, 250gb HDD and built in wifi? Ps3? Oh wait.
All seriousness, it's nice, but too little too late.
PS. Kinetic looked awful.

Well when I go to college ill have another reason to get a 360.

Well, I'll say it sure does look purty, but as I said in the previous thousand threads on this subject that somehow popped up in the last 3 minutes, Microsoft has finally put in the shit they should have had right from the start so that's a step in the right direction but if this thing turns out to be just another piece of shit with horrid design and RRODs every 10 minutes then it ain't worth it.

Goddamnit! I just bought my new replacement as well!

Damn you Microsoft!

..*Thoughts of current plain Xbox 360 going out a particular window flow through his mind..*

This actually explains all those packaged boxes I saw earlier at my local Gamestop.

Like a said, its pretty nice but I'm fine with the 2 I already own.

I wouldn't call it a "slim", compared to the PS3 slim, but it looks nice.

Win. I might get this, actually. If it doesn't do what the PS2 Slim did and have about 3.8 games playable on it, and doesn't have horrifying bugs, it's on my list.

Looks great, but I wonder if it would have been released were it not for the PS3 Slim?

Here's to hoping the RRD is practically non existent on this model!

Very nice, lets hope Microsoft keeps this going for the next generation. I am left with one question, how do I transfer my saves from my normal 360 to the new 360 with different hard drive?

Oprah Winfrey needs to temporarily run big companies for a few weeks at a time.

Why? To give away their awesome stuff, of course! I estimate that if she gets through about three companies every two months, then I'll be able to get something after a year!

Honestly, are the people in the audience really the ones that NEED new xboxes?

Honestly if it's quieter than the others I will replace my old one

2fish:
Very nice, lets hope Microsoft keeps this going for the next generation. I am left with one question, how do I transfer my saves from my normal 360 to the new 360 with different hard drive?

You need to call Microsoft and get a transfer cable

Bribe the press guys to stop them saying how much the conference sucked. Nice plan Microsoft.

Also, that was definitely a surprise announcement. I mean, it was obvious that there was a system redesign, but that it was shipping today was a genuine shock.

And those fucking lucky audience members...

Im trading in my 360 for the new one..why you may ask..well it is the same one since launch all those years ago..only 20GBs..been wanting wi-fi for awhile but i wasn't gonna spend $100 for it..now my prayers have been answered and more. *stares at the new shiny thing*

I wonder if I can get a good deal trading in my Halo 3 LE console for one...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here