Please, Film These Games!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Please, Film These Games!

So which games does MovieBob want to see as movies?

Read Full Article

Good ideas Bob, anlthough I think that JRPG gender ambiguity would lose something in a film.
I hope you know that there is A MASS EFFECT MOVIE coming out, as shown on the ME website. As a fan of the series, I think this is a terrible idea, but as long as it bankrolls ME3 and pays Drew Karpyshyn I don't mind .

As a resident of one of the few places in the world where a man can where a cowboy hat without being considered ridiculous or "in costume", I would like to invite Red Dead Redemption, a possible Red Dead movie, and all cowboy fiction in general to take a big fuck off.

Red dead would be awsome if they have cameo of Clint Eastwood.

Mass Effect: On the plus side: richly-detailed science fiction world, unique alien races and a pre-justified reason to cast ANY actor or actress as Shephard you want without worrying if he/she "looks like the game." On the minus side: might be redundant if you don't get it made before somebody reboots Babylon 5.

<high five> :D

Though they will never reboot B5 because, unlike Star Trek or Stargate or...most anything else with Star in-front of it, B5 was perfect and I will stab anyone in the eye who disagrees.

As for games that must be filmed, I'm gonna say Homeworld needs to be filmed. It's got the same basic story as Battlestar Galactica, but it subtracts all the really stupid shit and replaced it with more awesome. Also, the Khusan are far more interesting than the Colonials: I mean, they're not just "Americans in space but they're polytheistic, so that makes them COMPLETELY DIFFERENT."

Also, it has a unique design atheistic and captures just how beautiful space is, with the Khusan fleet starting at the edge of the galaxy, which gets brighter and brighter as they head inwards towards the Core, through nebulas and glowing gas fields. Yes, a space setting that's just not a ton of little white dots on a black background.

Add to that plenty of characters you can create - fighter pilots, capital ship captains, whatever - and really really awesome music and BAM!

Awesome movie. Or TV show. Yeah, it could make an awesome TV show too.

I would love to see a well-done Castlevania adaptation. And I agree about Alucard. Much as I love the guy, angsty, brooding, misunderstood bishounen vampire anti-heroes have been done to death for over a decade now. Let's have a monster-hunting romp where vampires are monsters, end of story, and watch Belmont whip them all into oblivion. (marketing tagline: When a problem comes along...)

I didn't think the first Mortal Kombat was a horrible film: it used the Enter the Dragon underworld tournament plot, which as you implied is really the only way to handle a fighting game adaptation, the characterizations were pretty good, the soundtrack was awesome, and we got a couple of cool-looking fight scenes, what more did we want? It's not like the source material was deep to begin with. (The sequel, on the other hand...). And I consider the Dead or Alive film a guilty pleasure, probably because it doesn't take itself seriously.

I was thinking they need to make an Earthworm Jim movie, myself.

There is already a Mass Effect movie apparently in production, though, so that's one of your wishes granted and you may not have even known it.

With Disney now owning Marvel, I can finally see Wolverine and Mickey Mouse team up with Cloud to fight Davy Jones. Wouldn't that make an awesome movie? I definitely agree with the Chrono Trigger bit. It is undoubtedly the best JRPG ever, and it needs some sort of commemoration.

Hey, I'm definitely for a new Mario movie. I don't hate the old one, I just don't care for it and hope for a new one.

Interesting question though: should a new Mario movie include Luigi? That's stuck on my mind right now. I want to say yes, but I'd rather see Mario hack it on his own in the first movie and have Luigi introduced in the sequel (if the first did well).

i actually have to agree with all the movies on here. there isn't a single one that i don't think would be good IF in the right hands. god help us if micheal bay gets his hands on any of these.

P.S. HOLY CRAP DON FRYE IS MIKE HAGGAR

MacNille:

That would sell it pretty much for me! He could play the old guy from Mexico, make an apperance as an old style cowboy!

I would love to see this as a film, not enough westerns these days!

MacNille:

Brokeback Mountain lol

But seriously, Mario? I don't think I could see that happening, It's not a very complex story...

There is one major problem with making a Mass Effect movie.Shepard.Now if you make a male lead in the movie,I and most likely a lot of other people will be disappointed.And if you have a male lead,then someone who isn't me will be happy.
Now there are also the big plot choices that you make that you have to take into account.If you make the Shepard paragon,a lot,and I mean A LOT of people will be pissed.And vice versa.
Now I have a partial solution to all of this.Make the movies Animated.Make 4 of them.And make them appeal to everyone.One is Male/Paragon,another one is Female/Paragon...Ahh you get the point.
Now having it animated would also mean that we could keep the original voice actors.And I think that it would be a treat for almost everyone.

And I would love to see a Kingdom Hearts movie.But I would also have to see it animated.Because of the voice in the games.

Yes,voice acting is a big part for me.And I hate it when characters get new voices out of the blue.

I have to say the best mario adaptation was done on this very site with there will be brawl. It could never be made into hollywood because only douchbags want series to grow up outside of fan remakes (as mentioned by a certain Mr Chipman before) but why not do something around SSBB with the all star cast of Nintendo creatures taking on an unkowable evil? anyone?

"Earthbound" would be an awesome movie, provided they could get kid actors who weren't annoying as sin. The only problem I'd see is that Hollywood seems to have problems with (or gets negative attention from) movies where kids go around beating up adults. Hypnotized or not, there were a lot of adult enemy types in "Earthbound."

MacNille:

He can be Landon Ricketts!

I would add Anachronox to the list. The cinematic sequences of the game linked together are already an award wining machinima.
A 3+ hour Anachronox movie, or two movies, would be amazing to see. As long as it's done right.

Hell you don't even need to make the Mass Effect movie about the games.

Mass Effect's universe is vast, and there are plenty of events that would make good movies.

The first contact war for example. You have space battles, land battles, and I'm pretty sure Bioware can make a half-decent story.

I'm disappointed in no mention of Ace Attorney. C'mon, it's got comedic pacing like My Cousin Vinny, human drama like Twelve Angry Men, and goofy mysteries like A Shot in the Dark. This is one that could definitely work.

I mean, it's already a stage show!

RanD00M:
There is one major problem with making a Mass Effect movie.Shepard.Now if you make a male lead in the movie,I and most likely a lot of other people will be disappointed.And if you have a male lead,then someone who isn't me will be happy.
Now there are also the big plot choices that you make that you have to take into account.If you make the Shepard paragon,a lot,and I mean A LOT of people will be pissed.And vice versa.
Now I have a partial solution to all of this.Make the movies Animated.Make 4 of them.And make them appeal to everyone.One is Male/Paragon,another one is Female/Paragon...Ahh you get the point.
Now having it animated would also mean that we could keep the original voice actors.And I think that it would be a treat for almost everyone.

And I would love to see a Kingdom Hearts movie.But I would also have to see it animated.Because of the voice in the games.

Yes,voice acting is a big part for me.And I hate it when characters get new voices out of the blue.

Like I said above, they don't need to do Shepard's story. First Contact would make a decent movie on its own.

Wait, MovieBob's a Kingdom Hearts fan? Sweet!

Oh, and I agree with @skylog since the Ace Attorney games would translate perfectly into an animated film with the same art style.

Hasn't a Mario movie already been made into a spectacular failure? I think I read somewhere that it had been called "the worst move of my life" by its main actor.

One thing.

Richter>Simon

Irridium:
Like I said above, they don't need to do Shepard's story. First Contact would make a decent movie on its own.

While I will not deny that.And I will not deny that the possibilities for a Mass Effect movie is vast and they have a lot of options to approach it.Most people who would watch a Mass Effect movie would want to see Shepard do what Shepard does best.Make conversations that can change the world.And kill aliens.

I think anyone who has said "Earthbound" is dead on. It would make a great movie.

I think the game i would MOST like to see as a Moive is Grim Fandango. Half the work is done already, the characters, dialog and story only need tweaking a little and as long as you nail the feel of the original you would have an EXTREAMLY great movie on your hands. The setting is one of the best i've experiecned in any medium and a faithful even lower budget would work becuase of the high quality of the source material.

Infact most Schafer games would make great movies, Psychonaughts as a quirky and irreverant childrens-but-also-works-for-adults movies that practically HAS TO stray into the surreal and weird that would make the film stand out. Diving into peoples heads is such a good device and has been done so badly in most movies that it would automatically feel nice and fersh.

"Brutal Legand" SHOULD have really been a movie. Jack black as a rodie that goes into a metal universe populated by metal legends doing battle is just too good. Pitty the game was a stealth console RTS. Bleh!

I thought that we've established that movies based off of video games invariably don't live up to source material. It'll just be disappointing.

RanD00M:

Irridium:

While I will not deny that.And I will not deny that the possibilities for a Mass Effect movie is vast and they have a lot of options to approach it.Most people who would watch a Mass Effect movie would want to see Shepard do what Shepard does best.Make conversations that can change the world.And kill aliens.

I guess, but I'm one of those people who hopes the Mass Effect movie avoids Shepard. It would just make everything confusing and possibly piss people off. Everyone has their own Shepard.

Granted they could make a movie about the years in-between Mass Effect 1 and 2 when Shepard is presumed dead.

That way they could add to the story of the games, reference Shepard's accomplishments, and able to put in a few sweet fights.

I agree on:

1. Mass Effect.
2. Red Dead Redemption.
3. Gears of War, the entire story of the trilogie.

actually they have been trying to make Castlevania a movie, but thank Buddha the first plans fell through because that would have involved Paul W.S. Anderson (DIE!). That twit James Wan is apparently trying to revive the zombie but this is one that should STAY DEAD. Mass Effect is a pretty easy one, though I demand as many makeup effects as possible.

Irridium:
I guess, but I'm one of those people who hopes the Mass Effect movie avoids Shepard. It would just make everything confusing and possibly piss people off. Everyone has their own Shepard.

Granted they could make a movie about the years in-between Mass Effect 1 and 2 when Shepard is presumed dead.

That way they could add to the story of the games, reference Shepard's accomplishments, and able to put in a few sweet fights.

Too bad Hollywood would never get that.And they would most likely just make a boring generic action movie.
I would watch a well done Mass Effect movie.But making one is pretty hard with todays movie producers.

no video game movies please....seriously

Pretty good list, apart from Mass Effect. I mean you could do something unrelated to the main storyline, but the idea of having anything related to the main storyline is doomed to fail. Since all the fans of the series have there own vision of how the story should really go (that's the main idea of the game) and making a movie, where you can't do anything about the stupid things Shep is doing on screen.

My nightmare scenario would be something like this (May contain spoilers from the ME series): Shepard goes total paragon, apart from being a horrible racist, leaves Kaidan Alenko alive, kills Wrex and helps out the council in the finishing scene. And then in ME2 he/she only chills out with Jack and Zaeed and kills everyone else. And someone else will think this is the best way to play the game.

Do Mario RPG. Mario and Bowser start out fighting it's what they do. I not even sure you would need a background. Mario is the BIGGEST video game character ever, he fights bowser, everyone knows this. small children in africa know this even though they've only seen a picture of SNES. anyone who is going to see this movie will know mario fights bowser to save a princess. This is a movie where for once you don't need a backstory. plus interesting characters, its a fan fave and a rich story.

But actually any mario could be done and i stand by my no need for a background approach. mario galaxy could be good, as would a generic mario adventure.

RanD00M:

Irridium:

Too bad Hollywood would never get that.And they would most likely just make a boring generic action movie.
I would watch a well done Mass Effect movie.But making one is pretty hard with todays movie producers.

Yeah thats true.

Things sound fine since Ray Muzyka (one of the heads of Bioware) was made Executive Producer of the apparent Mass Effect movie, but Executive Producers usually don't have any input on the creative process of a movie.

So yeah, lameness is sure to follow. But its still nice to dream...

Fbuh:
With Disney now owning Marvel, I can finally see Wolverine and Mickey Mouse team up with Cloud to fight Davy Jones. Wouldn't that make an awesome movie? I definitely agree with the Chrono Trigger bit. It is undoubtedly the best JRPG ever, and it needs some sort of commemoration.

I don't want to see a Chrono Trigger movie.
It would work well as a series, but there is to much raw awesome in the game for one movie. The hard part would be where to stop it...
Maybe the third movie would end when

But I don't know where else to cut it off....

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here