Escape to the Movies: Special: The Day After

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Special: The Day After

MovieBob brings you a special episode of Escape to the Movies giving you the run down of apocalyptic films.

Watch Video

Escape to the movies on a Tuesday?! Awesome!...

Birthday party, cheescake, jellybean, boom... I GET IT!

Interesting video, especially the background on Apoca-Lit... never knew that was where it came from, and that makes me embarassed.
Thanks for reminding me about "Six String Samurai," I need to track that thing down now.
No mention of zombie apocalypse cinema, or was that because that whole genre is really played out now?

Birthday card... cheesecake... jelly beans... bo-bomb...?

I'm sure it means something and someone will figure it out. I just don't have the mind to do it right now.

Good review, though. And as one who really likes "end of the world" movies, I can't explain it either.

Yay more Movie Bob

OT:Has any one seen "A Boy and His Dog" it's a strange film with a telepathic dog set in some post-apocalyptic future. Had a quite creepy ending.

Birthday Cake Been Bob?

well Hollywood Has sorta got on the biblical apocalypse with Legion even if it was shitty and mangled that with Mad max for Book of Eli but there you go

No mention of the Road again? shame I know you like d the book bob but I haven't seen the movie yet

The title remembered me of the movie "The day after".
My father gave me the DVD of the movie Day after around the time the Day after tommorow came out in cinemas. He said here I heard so much about the movie coming out, maybe you liked it.
It was a flick about the nuclear fallout during cold war and the chaos and destruction the bomb brought to the lives of ordinary people.
Obviously he confused the titles but he has given me the far superior movie and I really enjoyed it. Yet it was rather disturbing considering my age at the time.

Btw: Bob, you should have stressed more that I am legend was a great book and the Will Smith movie raped the entire premise and resolution of the story. It hurt when I read on Cracked that they had planned to stick to the book but then they decided to make a crappy hollywood ending.

sephiroth1991:
Yay more Movie Bob

OT:Has any one seen "A Boy and His Dog" it's a strange film with a telepathic dog set in some post-apocalyptic future. Had a quite creepy ending.

Yeah I was surprised he didn't mention that movie. It has perhaps my friend ending line of all time Well, I'd certainly say she had marvelous judgment, Albert, if not particularly good taste.

EnigmaHarper:

I'm sure it means something and someone will figure it out. I just don't have the mind to do it right now.

Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean boom
A line from "Its the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) by R.E.M

DaxStrife:
Birthday party, cheescake, jellybean, boom... I GET IT!

THANK YOU! I was sitting there staring at that for way too long trying to figure that out.

I personally belive the world will end with a flap of a butterfly's wings that will create tiny changes in the atmosphere and may ultimately alter the path of a typhoon or accelerate the occurrence of a typhoon in a certain location. Said typhoon would then pwn the world.

bue519:

sephiroth1991:
Yay more Movie Bob

Yeah I was surprised he didn't mention that movie. It has perhaps my friend ending line of all time Well, I'd certainly say she had marvelous judgment, Albert, if not particularly good taste.

As i said creepy ending, i liked how it had themes of "its everyman for him-self" going on

Gotta love the apocalypse. Really does make great subject matter!

Nice. I don't know why the world likes the end so much... boredom?

sephiroth1991:

bue519:

sephiroth1991:
Yay more Movie Bob

As i said creepy ending, i liked how it had themes of "its everyman for him-self" going on

Plus it did help inspire the Fallout and Wasteland games. Maybe if Bethesda had watched it they would have made a game more true to the fallout mantra.

So apparently we're only going to get a big revelation about our existence sometie in the future, not the deaths of us all? Anyway,

BITHDAY PARTY CHEESECAKE JELLYBEAN BOOM!!!!!!

trigger1992:

EnigmaHarper:

Thanks. Though I'm still not sure if that songs truly has words other than the chorus and something about Leonard Bernstein.

bue519:

sephiroth1991:

bue519:

sephiroth1991:
Yay more Movie Bob

Plus it did help inspire the Fallout and Wasteland games. Maybe if Bethesda had watched it they would have made a game more true to the fallout mantra.

The thing about "A Boy and His Dog" it was much more darker and more about the problems with humans(You know how all men just want to rape women) but fallout has to be appealing to gamers and if everyone tried to kill you it would not be pratical, also some things they would't got away with. But i still like the fallout games.

trigger1992:

EnigmaHarper:

Ahh...thank you very much...that was going to irritate me for ages

trigger1992:

EnigmaHarper:

As the others said, thank you.
And I never seen any cinema or television adaptations of it, but the novel Day of the Triffids is pretty awesome. That reminds me, I once read a pre-apocalyptical science fiction story in which giant rabbits rampaged over Australia. It was better than it sounds. I can't remember it's title though.

EnigmaHarper:

trigger1992:

EnigmaHarper:

Thanks. Though I'm still not sure if that songs truly has words other than the chorus and something about Leonard Bernstein.

It is the last verse before the chorus is sung several times at the end of the song!

"The other night I dreamt of knives, continental drift divide. Mountains sit in a line
Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Brezhnev. Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom!
You symbiotic, patriotic, slam book neck, right? Right.
It's the end of the world as we know it."......and so on

Weird end of the world scenarios are a breath of fresh air just to see how crazy they can get but also being pure fiction we don't have to dwell on the bleak nature.

The MOST bleak end of the world movie is the 1980s "BBC Television Play" known as Threads.

It was a simple concept of people living their normal lives with hints in background news TV and radio broadcasts of political Cold War turmoil getting slow "hot" before the nuclear bombs drop. Here on out it shows the survivors scattered across the UK and their stories but what made it bleak was how real it was. First off, there are more survivors than most of it's genre, millions in fact but many slowly die off due to lack of survival skills, radiations, hunger and nuclear winter, with jumps in years showing to decay, for example younger generations loosing the ability to speak normal English due to the lack of formal education and casual contact on a regular basis and some areas reverting to the Dark Ages.

It's just downright plain depressing because it's so real. It's tagline "The closest you'll ever want to come to nuclear war" defiantly holds true. More bleak than the similar US film The Day After, which oddly enough shares the name with this special episode, hence why I thought of Threads.

EDIT: BTW Bob, have you seen The Mist? Defiantly watchable in my opinion, being one of the more interesting concepts to the end of the world genre.

I vastly prefer apocalyptic fiction based in or around a nuclear war, just because it appears to make some sort of sense as a likely end of the world and is so utterly depressing what with it being humankind's fault.

Crazy_Bird:
Btw: Bob, you should have stressed more that I am legend was a great book and the Will Smith movie raped the entire premise and resolution of the story. It hurt when I read on Cracked that they had planned to stick to the book but then they decided to make a crappy hollywood ending.

What's interesting about that one is that the DVD had an "alternate ending", which was actually much closer to the book's ending. See here: http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/05/must-watch-i-am-legends-original-ending-this-is-amazing/

This redeems the movie a great deal, which was already fairly interesting simply for its striking depiction of a New York devoid of life.

What about the world being destroyed to make room for a hyperspace bypass?

B..b..but I liked the Will Smith one...

ZAch055:
What about the world being destroyed to make room for a hyperspace bypass?

You sir, are awesome.

anyone notice how people when frightened always knock over tables? how many times have you accidently knocked over a table or a chair?

edit: also the reason we like the end of the world stories because we have gotten so use to mass carnage that it doesn't phase us unless the world explodes

ninjajoeman:
anyone notice how people when frightened always knock over tables? how many times have you accidently knocked over a table or a chair?

At least three times, but one of those I was very angry. So I guess that wouldn't be an accident. Hmm... then twice.

toluju:
What's interesting about that one is that the DVD had an "alternate ending", which was actually much closer to the book's ending. See here: http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/05/must-watch-i-am-legends-original-ending-this-is-amazing/

This redeems the movie a great deal, which was already fairly interesting simply for its striking depiction of a New York devoid of life.

Thank you very, very much for sharing this. Yeah it let the movie shine a bit more brightly but it is not exactly like in the book yet a lot closer. I do not like the whole zombie look and the like the book was showing that those "monsters" were humans in almost every aspect.
So as it stands I say I am Legend is mediocre considering the alternative ending instead of horrible.

Birthday party cheesecake, Jelly bean boom, ah. A reference to the "It's the End of the world" by R.E.M.

So many people like making doomsday scenarios, whether it's happening before, during and after. Some movies are constructed brilliantly, some are built as weird.

I am legend remake starring Will Smith and the director completely missed the premise of what the original movie was about.

And I feel fine.

You title it The Day After, but you don't even mention the movie you based it off of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After

Quite possibly the best nuclear apocalypse movie, period.

"Six-String Samurai" is definitely worth the owning. If for no other reason than featuring the Red Elvises, a Russian surf rock band who commonly use a balalaika as a bass guitar.

I'm not even kidding.

I think the biggest problem with "End of the World" movies is their never THE END OF THE WORLD. It's always got a happy ending (with the exception of the birds) that suggests life, in some form, goes on.

d'aw no Phase 4 reference?

Veggie tails. Sweet sweet memories.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook