The Escapist Presents: Escapist On: The Day After

Escapist On: The Day After

The Escapist Staff discusses the apocalypse.

Watch Video

Where is the John Funk? Every video needs John Funk. I want to hear him speak words to me.

*hem* great video, very interesting. I would definitely not survive the apocalypse.

And I have to say that a zombie apocalypse is one of the most unlikely out of all the scenarios. Just...really. And if it did happen, they certainly wouldn't survive indefinitely. Few weeks, max. Then the zombie apocalypse is just a regular old apocalypse.

My favorite anti-zombie weapon is a Victorian Diving Apparatus.

Your dessicated teeth aren't getting through that, zombie. I will punch you to death.

Great video! It's always great to here what people would do in the event of a Apocalypse.

I can definitely understand people not wanting to be near zombies when they go splat, but guns run out of ammo. My arm with a crowbar does not. I don't think one shotgun is going to keep the hordes of zombies away anyway. Your best bet is just to run away!

once someone gets a real life holy-hand grenade working that would be super effective!
Get the big explosion and it has to give some kind of extra damage to the undead, to the lab there's science to be done!

Honestly, as odd or predictably niche as it might be, I'd have to say my favorite Post-Apocalype (nice one, guys) game would have to be Final Fantasy X. Sure, anyone can predict what a world would be like a decade or two after the apocalypse, but FFX creates a very believable scenario for a world 1,000 years after an apocalyptic event.

Wait wait wait wait WAIT!!!!

Since when did Russ had a bad-ass mustache?

Random Argument Man:

Obviously, he is preparing for the apocalypse by growing facial hair so badass, no one would dare think about messing with him in a wasteland.

Radeonx:

Random Argument Man:

Obviously, he is preparing for the apocalypse by growing facial hair so badass, no one would dare think about messing with him in a wasteland.

Note* I hope Russ doesn't take this the wrong way.
2nd Note* Russ, can I be one of your evil henchmen?

Okay, cool topic, but I have to say. I'm terrified. That whole virus thing scared the shit out of me.

And I'd be the guy who follows orders extensively. Keep that in mind, when you take over the wasteland.

Hm. The second video talking about the apocalypse? Why are people so keen on this topic suddenly? Is it because of E3?

I would prolly agree with everyone who said fallout. I think it pretty much sums up the whole situation. It's bleak, it's horrific and it feels like all is lost. But there is still that hope and beauty there.

And as for weapons...shotgun club here!

For those that want to play Pandemic 2, here's a link:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/DarkRealmStudios/pandemic-2

Also this:

Swifteye:
Hm. The second video talking about the apocalypse? Why are people so keen on this topic suddenly? Is it because of E3?

It's the subject topic of our magazine this week.

Random Argument Man:

Note* I hope Russ doesn't take this the wrong way.
2nd Note* Russ, can I be one of your evil henchmen?

Russ, can I join you too?

The problem with living in a small English town is I would only have my cricket pads, helmet, bat, my epée and my two blunt kukris.

whats up with the audio? they're voices fade out (or something), its annoying.

It's a good point about how just about any game can have a tendency towards the post-apocalyptic. I also think HL2 is a perfect example of PA done well: the oceans being sucked into a black hole, cities decripit and collapsing, no vehicles that aren't either cobbled together with superglue and sticks or belong to the Combine; the ruins and remains of our once so great civilization everywhere. Oh, and zombies. It's got it all.

And pandemic's great too, only wish there'd be a bit more -stuff-. Right now I can make parasites that make you vomit and insane, but that really only shows in a difference in the rate of infection and death, nothing else. I want pictures, newspaper clippings, panicked reports of hordes of the criminally insane attacking the fenced up borders of neighbouring countries...

Oh, and Madagascar ffs. One'd think that they'd open their borders again when all deadly symptoms disappear and the disease morphs back into a harmless little flu virus again...but nooo, they'd rather STARVE. Bah.

Slycne:

Swifteye:

It's the subject topic of our magazine this week.

Ooooh.

mechanixis:
My favorite anti-zombie weapon is a Victorian Diving Apparatus.

Your dessicated teeth aren't getting through that, zombie. I will punch you to death.

Big Daddy suit would be perfect!

How very wrong they all got their answers.

The single most probable reason for the apocalypse still are nuclear weapons, followed by global warming (and the resulting conflicts).

And acting as a "lone wolf" is exactly what doesn't let you survive, it's building teams.

And manual labour isn't the best a skilled IT guy could contribute to rebuilding society (neither is giving up).

why no meteorite yet?

thats what killed the last dominant species

SensibleCrout:
The single most probable reason for the apocalypse still are nuclear weapons, followed by global warming (and the resulting conflicts).

SensibleCrout:
And acting as a "lone wolf" is exactly what doesn't let you survive, it's building teams.

The question was tangentially related to the specific circumstance of "zombie apocalypse." There are dozens of threads about this topic that pop up every week, and there are pros as well as cons to any solution to the zombie problem. Consider nearly every zombie movie ever made: the characters team up because it ensures the survival of the weak, yet the weak are inevitably zombified to gnaw on their friends at the most inconvenient of opportunities. The "lone wolf" approach ensures the survival of a single human, as they are generally only brought down by personal weakness. (Usually when they get lonely, and decide to team up with some weak, distrustful characters.)

Note that is is also true in the case of "Mad Max", "Waterworld", and "A Boy and His Dog."

SensibleCrout:
And manual labour isn't the best a skilled IT guy could contribute to rebuilding society (neither is giving up).

As critical as rebuilding the infrastructure would be, survival skills are what keep you alive when the infrastructure fails. Often, such skills involve a great deal of manual labor. Finding food, water, and other provisions is a daily task we take for granted. An apocalypse of any kind would surely make the simple act of finding dinner the single most important task of the day.

The IT guy would definitely be handy in the long run, but his skill set wouldn't always be beneficial on a daily basis.

Bah! Viruses, nukes, diseases . . . sunspots, that's what'll get ya. One zap and the world will crumble!

Interesting vid, btw. ;)

I enjoy hearing your guys (and girls when they're interviewed instead of interviewing) thoughts on stuff, it's fun. Thanks for always bringing us great content and having fun whilst doing it.

Well the new guy (steve butts?) has a head start in surviving the apocalypse, A HANDLEBAR MOUSTACHE!, You know in that sort of situation "handlebar moustache" guy turns up and lots of people eat lead.

Also something that doesn't normally come up in apocalypse survival threads, your more likely to succumb to illness without proper medical attention and if you hurt yourself in a wasteland enviroment chances are the wounds would go septic.

Suddenly a rose becomes deadly to the next generation because a lack of tetanus jabs!.

As for my role in the apocalypse, I'd have to be the guy that procreates!, hopefully.

You guys forgot the one certain destroyer of worlds: prime numbers!

Seriously, just ask Nicolas Cage.

Post Apocalype Game?

Alright, who the "S" key from this guy's keyboard?

My favourite post apocalypse game is Bioshock, I would say Fallout 3 (I love that too, don't get me wrong) but for the sheer feeling of oppressive dread formed from the ashes of a crumbling society Bioshock really holds the spotlight.

Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse? Anything sharp or heavy I can swing around, they're easy to use, easy to carry and they never run out of ammo. Personally I'd just grab my nunchaku and stick all my swords in my guitar case (because you never know). I'd also carry a crossbow or a harpoon gun to take out anything that's far away that I've got a fair enough warning of because the ammo in those is retrievable and can be used more than once.

Most likely scenario for an apocalypse I can foresee is some form of revolution, after the riots and street wars there wouldn't be much left of society apart from "every man for himself".

Oh, and my role in the whole thing? I'd probably just be the guy who profits from other people's misfortunes and does odd jobs they cannot do themselves. Other than that, I'd be the guy who hits things with sticks. It works for pretty much everything.

Technically speaking Bioshock most definitely isn't a post-apocalypse game, as it takes place in a single city that destroyed itself.

SpiderJerusalem:
Technically speaking Bioshock most definitely isn't a post-apocalypse game, as it takes place in a single city that destroyed itself.

Where is it written that an apocalyptic setting can't be localized to a small location? If half the Earth was destroyed, but half of it was left completely untouched. Wouldn't that still be the apocalypse for those on the destroyed half despite life continuing to function normally elsewhere?

Slycne:

SpiderJerusalem:

Where is it written that an apocalyptic setting can't be localized to a small location? If half the Earth was destroyed, but half of it was left completely untouched. Wouldn't that still be the apocalypse for those on the destroyed half despite life continuing to function normally elsewhere?

The apocalypse is most often, if not always, associated with a global disaster that wipes out nearly everything or just plain everything. While you can talk about an "apocalypse of a single town", it doesn't, in my books, mean the same thing.

SpiderJerusalem:

Slycne:

SpiderJerusalem:

The apocalypse is most often, if not always, associated with a global disaster that wipes out nearly everything or just plain everything. While you can talk about an "apocalypse of a single town", it doesn't, in my books, mean the same thing.

What if, say, a race of xenomorphs killed every living human on a space station? Or a slightly more realistic scenario - a colony on the moon / Mars is completely annihilated by some catastrophe. Is it then an apocalypse for those that died, since it happens on a large-scale object?

I think the underlying effect of apocalypse is what defines the word itself - and since the word is Greek for "lifting of the veil" or "revelation", I see absolutely no reason why we couldn't consider a murder spree an apocalypse. Especially if said murder spree reveals a part of human nature to those that survive. One could even postulate that there is an apocalypse for every generation. (Examples: WWII, Vietnam / Cold War, Terrorists)

All I'm trying to say is that the usage of the term "apocalypse" is heavily skewed by the cultural idiom of "the end of the world", when really it should be "the end of the world as we know it."

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here