Yahtzee Wrote a Book

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I have a feeling some haters are hatin' just cuz...well okay the point's already been made lol

I'm not sure about what I think, but I'm sorta distracted right now (and not wanting to preorder anything else with all these games coming out)

as always...time will tell what's good and what's not

MrSpectabular:
Well you're probably right in that most people go in with their own expectations anyway, though I'm confused by your assertion that Psychonauts is not a popular game.

re: his justification of his critiques with an argument. If your critique is so flippant, picking up on things just for LOLs then surely the only real justification is 'this doesn't really make the game any worse, I'm just saying this to get you all coming back to watch my video every week to see what I'll say next.' I'm not sure he's ever said this, let alone in every episode.

I see your point, but I don't particularly get that vibe from him, that he is simply talking out his arse if he can't find flaws, every game has flaws, and you can mostly hear when he has actually enjoyed a game, because the review won't be as menacing. He'll still rip into the flaws, but either that is superficial flaws, or he also highlight some parts he liked.

By the way, you said something earlier:

If it were all true personal opinion, and he does indeed have a gamer's heart pumping away in his chest, then every so often a ZP would be a love filled sonnet how utterly spectacular a game was and how everyone should go out and buy it immediately. I may be wrong, but this has probably never happened.

He has, he still critique some flaws, but the overall vibe of the review is positive, those reviews would be Portal, Psychonauts, which I find to have become popular lately, and wasn't before. Those are just the two I can remember, but I'm pretty sure there are more.

He's still a dick though, but people like dicks I guess. I get it. I like arrogant and smug people who genuinely have a right to be arrogant and smug. Ricky Gervais. He has every right to be arrogant (and yet I think a lot of it is act I suspect it's not all for show)he's done like a bunch of stuff and it's all been very good and critically acclaimed. Yahtzee's done this one thing that's proved popular, and subsequently (and previously) proved time and time again that anything else he does is naff. Yahtzee may be smug and self-assured now, but he's in for a shock now he's venturing out of the gaming sphere and into the grown up world of literature where people aren't going to be charmed by Gordon Freeman references and dick jokes.

I can assure you that he has gotten flack for his video game reviews as well, he isn't always right, and people hammer at him when he isn't.

Also it's not just Yahtzee. Penny Arcade sucks balls as well, but that's an argument for another day!

Thanks all, it's been fun. :)

oh no I like them too! I'll guess will meet again then :D

It probably will never ship to Estonia (no one will buy it here but me and maybe 2-3 other people), but I'll hopefully pre-order it before I go to the army :)

Yeah I have to admit I was baffled how I managed to avoid a warning and you got one for effectively complementing his joke. ;D

Good grief, Yahtzee...

MrSpectabular:
Yeah I have to admit I was baffled how I managed to avoid a warning and you got one for effectively complementing his joke. ;D

I think that maybe they were just looking for any reason to slap me down a notch, as I constantly point out the bad editing in their articles and then said unkind things about their star's writing abilities. Maybe not, though. Maybe that particular mod really is an imbecile.

i've preordered 2.For me and a friend of mine.

Deofuta:
My only request is that Yahtzee, Please make an audiobook version.

It would rock.

FUCK YEAH! That would be AWESOME! But the audiobook will be very short if it'll be read in Zero Punctuation-style though..

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Yahtzee Wrote a Book

This summer, Yahtzee's first novel, Mogworld, hits bookstores everywhere, and we're willing to bet fans of Zero Punctuation will be dying to get their hands on it. We're so confident of that, in fact, that we persuaded Yahtzee's publisher, Dark Horse, to let us give you the first glimpse of the new novel right here at The Escapist.

Read Full Article

read the idea for the story
read the first 4 paragraphs or so

Yahtzee you can't just throw down a Gamerfied version of a discworld story and call it your book

Cause that's basically what this is and to be fair it's worse
It ain't bad but...... yeah..

soren7550:
Eh, I can say I've read worse. Maybe I only don't like it so much because I don't have much of a clue as to what's going on.

Would I say I've written better? Probably, but he's published and I'm not so Mr. Croshaw has already one-uped me in the field of writing right there.

Thats not so much writing as it is connections, yahtzees a big name in the games industry even if he is just an entertainer it's far easier for publishers to see the cash profit in an established name with a large following. Personaly I thought this was pretty amature, then again I'm not published either but from his first sentance of this chapter he broke the 101 of writing hook the reader if the first paragraph cant hook you it dampens the whole experience from that point on.

And the narrative is really jarring feels like reading someones facebook rather than a novel and even as a parody you potentialy waste alot by not exploring the background in detail. Meh.

You got to admire the amount of Fan Fascism. When someone says it sucks they 'have to back it up' or 'do better themselves', yet you can safely go 'OMG IT'S AWESOME' without any kind of argumentation.

Funny.

As for the thing itself. Meh. I like 'Articulate Jim' better, but that's partly because I don't care about the entire premise.

Damn, man, this is good stuff! Although I think the end of your excerpt might've given away the big twist. Still, I'll definitely pick the book up when it's out. A Pratchett-style fantasy comedy set in an MMO...yeah, I'm sold.

EDIT: Also, holy crap. What's with the massive negativity and astronomically high literary standards? I didn't know half the Escapist's reader base was composed of bitter, unpublished English majors.

Yahtzee may not be Sir Terry, but he's got a unique idea and the chapter's entertaining. Chill.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I'll wait until the damned thing comes into the library so I can read it for free.

Also, can people cut the quote about pre-ordering it from Amazon? Its doing my head in.

I'm not preordering, because I wanted to take a look at the book y reading a page to debate whether to buy it or not and then put off Queen of the Damned for the fourth time this year.

But the sample from the book was good enough So I will definitely check it out.

afaceforradio:

addeB:
Wait a second... Can Yahtzze write?

He's a journalist (and no, I don't just mean ZP) so I should hope so! ;o)

Reminds me alot of Terry Pratchett, I reckon it'll be worth a read.

Good bit of Douglas Adams in there as well. Especially with the personification of the sun. Clearly, heavily influenced by Pratchett as well.

Kavonde:
Damn, man, this is good stuff! Although I think the end of your excerpt might've given away the big twist. Still, I'll definitely pick the book up when it's out. A Pratchett-style fantasy comedy set in an MMO...yeah, I'm sold.

EDIT: Also, holy crap. What's with the massive negativity and astronomically high literary standards? I didn't know half the Escapist's reader base was composed of bitter, unpublished English majors.

Yahtzee may not be Sir Terry, but he's got a unique idea and the chapter's entertaining. Chill.

Haha. You clearly don't know the Escapist's reader base very well. I did find it jarring to read, though. Great writing disappears from the page, as it becomes the imagined world in your head. Here, the writing was all too obvious.

Comedy is about forcing your brain to make two conclusions. An immediate, 'stupid' conclusion. And a secondary, 'intelligent' conclusion. The dissonance, forces self-recognition, and forces you to find it humorous. A joke has to flow smoothly, be timed properly. Otherwise your brain might make the conclusions in the wrong order, at the wrong times relative to each other, or not at all.

Don't get me wrong, writing a successful comedy novel is an impossibly difficult task. A spot normally reserved for Gods. However, Yahtzee is most definitely a God, so I'm excited to see how his novel writing career develops. Experience means a lot in the writing game.

Disclaimer: The second paragraph is pure speculation, based on entirely anecdotal evidence. Feel free to wholly disagree with my conclusions. Just don't inform me. I do have a list. And I intend to fully utilize it when I take power.

OANST:

Venatio:

OANST:

Venatio:

OANST:
Holy crap. That was laughably bad.

Screw you, its a satire of mmo's which goes about it by making the story that one of the npc's, Jim, has become self aware as have many others. Anyone who has played an mmo will understad the humor involved. if its not your cup of tea then get the hell out of the tea party.

I liked it, and I already ordered it a month back. Hope it comes soon.

Oh, no. See I'm not saying that I don't understand it. I'm saying that it's bad. As in poorly written. Glad that I could clear this up.

Well I think your wrong, glad I cleared that up. Really - what were you expecting from Yahtzee? Stephen King? Its a cheap book that is good in its own context.

I'd like to see you do better.

Stephen King isn't very good, either. Granted, he's miles ahead of this, but he's not exactly one of the greats.

You'd like to see me do better? No, you wouldn't. You don't want to see me do better. You just want to act like a petulant child and stick your tongue out at me.

Look, I'm sorry. The language is stilted. It reads like someone who thinks they are clever trying to be clever except that it isn't clever. The dialogue is terrible. It's conversation written by someone who apparently has no idea what people sound like when they talk. Everything about it screams amateur.

Also, it strikes me as strange that some of you are so vehemently defending a man who has made a career out of being insulting against insults. "But, but you're being a big jerk"! Yeah. Okay. Maybe I am. But isn't that why you love this guy so much in the first place? Because he's a big jerk? He's a super troll, and while that's occasionally amusing, it's certainly not a basis to ignore his own failings. He's a bad writer. This is really bad.

He's a jerk in an Ironic, satirical way. If he just mindlessly fired into games, nobody would like him. He clearly doesn't, as anyone who has seen his videos will surely agree.

I would agree about his writing skills, though. It definitely screams amateur. However, he does have some time to improve. I wouldn't dismiss him as a writer, yet. Terry Pratchett has come a long way from his first novels.

If you want to be admired for being a jerk, you're going to have to be a lot more ironic, and self aware about it. That's Yahtzee's strong point. He's not really a jerk. He's just created a character, a persona that is a satirical take on a 'jerk'. Most of what he says is true though. It has to be, otherwise no one would relate to it. He's certainly not a 'troll'; not by any definition I've came across.

Lol I'm goin to try and get this book, this stuff is great. XD

Humorous and enjoyable. I'll check Borders for it, but I'm way to lazy to order online.

I've been on fullyramlomatic.com and Yahtzee has two other novels only on there and they're actually pretty good so I'm hoping this is good as well. It's actually being published so yeah I think it will be good, if I can find a copy at a local bookstore.

Catalyst6:
I'm not reading this, since I already pre-ordered the book and don't want to spoil it...

Although just an observation from looking at the book cover, didn't Looking For Group have a warlock with a rabbit for a companion?

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh WTH Yahtzee... you don't just 'accidentally' end up having a comedy-making-fun-of-mmo's staring a warlock and involving a rabbit somehow. Jesus.

fun read at the least, but the above is discerning... I feel like blind Ferret is going to sue somebody

EMT-:

Catalyst6:
I'm not reading this, since I already pre-ordered the book and don't want to spoil it...

Although just an observation from looking at the book cover, didn't Looking For Group have a warlock with a rabbit for a companion?

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh WTH Yahtzee... you don't just 'accidentally' end up having a comedy-making-fun-of-mmo's staring a warlock and involving a rabbit somehow. Jesus.

fun read at the least, but the above is discerning... I feel like blind Ferret is going to sue somebody

Yeah, the similarities are a little disturbing, I take comfort in that the whole rabbit thing seems to be his offensive spell rather than a companion.

Definetly buying, I found it very funny indeed.

DayDark:

Yeah, the similarities are a little disturbing, I take comfort in that the whole rabbit thing seems to be his offensive spell rather than a companion.

but the cover of it looks almost as if he's taking the piss out of LFG too.. and I look forward to both the comic and ZP equally on my Thursdays, as I'm guessing some others also do.

EMT-:

DayDark:

but the cover of it looks almost as if he's taking the piss out of LFG too.. and I look forward to both the comic and ZP equally on my Thursdays, as I'm guessing some others also do.

Could be, it's certainly possible.

I found that read like Discworld without any of the life or wit. I liked Fog Juice alot better, surprisingly.

Must get this. It looks very interesting and I'm a huge ZP fan (who feels the obsesive need to give Yahtzee all my money. jk.)

I regularly watch ZP.. it's a highlight of wednesday coming back from work to see which game's been lambasted and after a patch of sub-par reviews it's good to see him back to form, Just Cause 2 being a worthy example.

That said, this so far seems a side-project that's going to need to simmer. The writing style reminded me of fan-fiction.. regardless, I enjoyed the excerpt which is all that matters really, so if I can find this in a store I might grab a copy, especially at that price. I'd be curious to see how Yahtzee's talent develops, if it does at all.

Also, not getting the LFG 'rip-off' claims. If anything it seemed more of a 'doff of the cap', a reference rather than any long running aspect of the story. I can see there being plenty of tributes in the book.

Though just from saying that I had an image of George Lucas on Robot Chicken..

GL: "And I ..thought they smelled bad on the outside?"
Fan: "YAAAY, JUST LIEK THEY SAID IN TEH MOVIE"

Rather shockingly amateur. Certainly doesn't benefit from his trademark rapid delivery, which effectively mitigates the occasional weak joke. Definite nod to Pratchett with markedly lesser charm. I think he can do better, and maybe he does.

For the record, it is possible to write well using excessive, flowery language, but you've got to be almost flawless. The moment you drop a subpar image or descriptor is the same moment you lose the reader. You've revealed yourself as puppeteer, and the show is over.

Well, I was excited before the extract, and now I am torn between excitedly leaping up and down and cursing the fact that I have no money. I shall have to go off and rob someone's granny, then I'll be right back to preorder it ^^

molesgallus:

OANST:

Venatio:

OANST:

Venatio:

OANST:
Holy crap. That was laughably bad.

Screw you, its a satire of mmo's which goes about it by making the story that one of the npc's, Jim, has become self aware as have many others. Anyone who has played an mmo will understad the humor involved. if its not your cup of tea then get the hell out of the tea party.

I liked it, and I already ordered it a month back. Hope it comes soon.

Oh, no. See I'm not saying that I don't understand it. I'm saying that it's bad. As in poorly written. Glad that I could clear this up.

Well I think your wrong, glad I cleared that up. Really - what were you expecting from Yahtzee? Stephen King? Its a cheap book that is good in its own context.

I'd like to see you do better.

Stephen King isn't very good, either. Granted, he's miles ahead of this, but he's not exactly one of the greats.

You'd like to see me do better? No, you wouldn't. You don't want to see me do better. You just want to act like a petulant child and stick your tongue out at me.

Look, I'm sorry. The language is stilted. It reads like someone who thinks they are clever trying to be clever except that it isn't clever. The dialogue is terrible. It's conversation written by someone who apparently has no idea what people sound like when they talk. Everything about it screams amateur.

Also, it strikes me as strange that some of you are so vehemently defending a man who has made a career out of being insulting against insults. "But, but you're being a big jerk"! Yeah. Okay. Maybe I am. But isn't that why you love this guy so much in the first place? Because he's a big jerk? He's a super troll, and while that's occasionally amusing, it's certainly not a basis to ignore his own failings. He's a bad writer. This is really bad.

He's a jerk in an Ironic, satirical way. If he just mindlessly fired into games, nobody would like him. He clearly doesn't, as anyone who has seen his videos will surely agree.

I would agree about his writing skills, though. It definitely screams amateur. However, he does have some time to improve. I wouldn't dismiss him as a writer, yet. Terry Pratchett has come a long way from his first novels.

If you want to be admired for being a jerk, you're going to have to be a lot more ironic, and self aware about it. That's Yahtzee's strong point. He's not really a jerk. He's just created a character, a persona that is a satirical take on a 'jerk'. Most of what he says is true though. It has to be, otherwise no one would relate to it. He's certainly not a 'troll'; not by any definition I've came across.

He's admitted to overlooking good things in games and exaggerating their flaws because that's what his viewers like about him. So basically, he insults the work of other people to get a laugh. That's pretty much the definition of a troll. I'm not saying that he isn't funny, or that he isn't good at it. Let's not try to say that he's objective, though.

Anyway, that's all beside the point. I really think it was bad. I wasn't trying to win brownie points or get laughs. I just think that it's poorly written.

molesgallus:
Great writing disappears from the page, as it becomes the imagined world in your head.

The more I read this sentence the more I realize how utterly brilliant it is in its simplicity. So, so true.

Sorry, I have to say that this book was bad for me.

Not nearly good enough to pay for it in my opinion; there are some things in this book that has already been done before that I take a deep concern with, the dialogue feels stiff and I can't discern a real personality from any of the characters and how some of the characters react entirely seems out of place and uncalled for.

If this is the best he can muster up for a teaser to get me - honestly everyone else, I just figured this to explain my opinion - to purchase it, I just honestly can't pay for it. I've read bad books before, ones that started promising and ended up being complete and utter trash.

While this won't be that bad, the ones that were certainly trained me to know when I see a book that's a trap. And my alarms are going off that there is a landmine right in front of me.

The good news is that I see potential and that he can get better. I'll check out his next book and see if that remains true, but this one certainly isn't my cup of tea. Again, I've read worse, five to be precise... three of which started promising.

It started off and I was thinking it was a bit mediocre, but I started to get into it, and will be buying it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here