Zero Punctuation: Alpha Protocol

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Volucer:
While I liked some parts of the game, and generally agree with the review, I have to say that the hacking in this game is one of the worst minigames I've ever played. Though that might be because I'm playing it on PC, and a gamepad would be easier, I shouldn't be penalised for how I want to play the game.

As for the PMC thing, I think it's more to avoid putting a specific country as an enemy, doesn't anger any community. Sort of like how any game in the middle east sets itself in Iranaqastan.

just curious, whats so hard about it on pc? (im playing on my 360 so just curious as to which minigame/whats the difference)

SteelStallion:
Hey guys, excuse my ignorance but... what's a ponce?

Kind of like a pretensious twat bag I think.

Kingsman:
...I never even heard of this game, but the fact that it lets you be that diverse and dickish seems appealing to me.

Are you fucking me? There was a huge advertising campaign on TV and even on ZP! You'd have to have awesome ignoring skills to not see the constant replays of the adverts.

My question is this: at the bottom of the 'ponce' meter is Kevin Conroy. I don't know if he's referring to some Australian politician named Kevin Conroy or if he's referring to the voice-actor who has figured in as the greatest Batman ever (and yes, he's the voice of Batman in Arkham Asylum).

Anybody know?

If Yahtzee has anything bad to say about Mario Galaxy 2, we won't know until it's released there. I'm wondering if he should move to US or Canada? Not sure if either give him a good enough reason to though other than actually getting games on time. (I mean, for the Aussy market, the US NTSC to PAL shouldn't be THAT much of a hurdle, unlike Europe where they need to translate the game into 6 languages at minimum along with the PAL translation!)

I laughed, and I laughed.

Hilarious as usual.

There are 5 different comments I want to make about this video but I'm only going to choose the top 2:

1) Great review! Zero Punctuation videos have been sketchy recently; I'm glad this one broke the mold.
2) The little animation during the credits was hilarious! It reminded me of the ending of The Night Flier (book and movie) except it was funny where TNF was unsettling.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
I'm surprised he never mentioned that the crosshair on the game is fucking massive and annoying.

He did. He said he liked how people have to work on their gun skills and they can't just "expect to draw their pistol and immediately hit the on button on the tumble dryer from 900 yards"

Anyway, I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't rip into this game more. I actually think this was a very fair review. Makes me want to see him review VtM: Bloodlines, even if that will never happen.

I chuckled at the baby seal. Yet more proof hat I am inherently evil.

Great review, though not as harsh as I would have thought. Softening up are we Yahtzee? Eh? Eh?

BlueInkAlchemist:
From the sound of things, Alpha Protocol suffers from the same problem as Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines: No matter what your chosen manner of playing the game, if you don't go a particular route the end of the game is going to be very, very hard.

Great review and variations on the Ponce. I might have to check this one out.

it's also one of those games that'll never be given recognition, because of lack of polish (see bloodlines).

Here's hoping that it'll be hit by the same type of community V-TM:B has.

Are you ever going to review "Manhunt! 2"? The story makes little sense, once you get far enough, the protagonist has no motive beside "my imaginary friend told me to", The difficulty curve seems like it was designed by Michael J. Fox, and you can't even see any gore. And this is a game rated M for violence and gore!

Despite what I've heard from him and everyone else, I'm still interested in the title. It sounds like a good rent.

Why is Kevin Conroy the ultimate asshole? I'm confused...

Good vid, and sorry about the Mario Galaxy 2 delay, because I live in the states, so I have it already, AND IT'S AWESOME.

wow this is the best review this game got

A very good review, the dog in a hat got me :-)

Blue-State:
I was kinda hoping for...

Great review anyway. I think that the reason that the games industry makes PMC secretly evil is because in real life they actually ARE!

Probably coming up next week. It likely takes a while to do videos like this and the big news/dissapointments only came out a few days ago.

OT: Great review, I'm considering getting this simply from this video. And the fact that it's moral choice system seems to actually work.

Edit: and the comparison to Deus Ex :D

Difference between a review build and a retail copy, maybe?

He kinda liked it, everyone else...hated it.

miquelfire:
If Yahtzee has anything bad to say about Mario Galaxy 2, we won't know until it's released there. I'm wondering if he should move to US or Canada? Not sure if either give him a good enough reason to though other than actually getting games on time. (I mean, for the Aussy market, the US NTSC to PAL shouldn't be THAT much of a hurdle, unlike Europe where they need to translate the game into 6 languages at minimum along with the PAL translation!)

It seems like mainly the Wii has this problem for some strange reason..

Better review than I was expecting and yes Alpha protocol is a better game then most give credit most of the "reviewers" just copied what other more popular sites had to say and I actually did understand the story line and I can say it's great.

Pretty funny^^

Finally a review that doesn't rip off on this game like others.

After a full playthrough I really enjoyed and was baffled by the sheer ammount of choices and consequences that you go through the game,unlike any other I have seen before.

I could turn a blind eye to the sometimes buggy dialogue and liked the game overall.

I love how you crossed the N out there too...would make so much more sense with it!!!

And, Awesome review...despite the good elements...still flawed, which is a shame!

He fucked her brains out. Just got up from the floor.

Sinclose:
Why the hell was Kevin Conroy, the voice of Batman in the DCAU in the spectrum of 'dicks and assholes'?

Maybe he doesn't want to be typecast?

If people like Deus Ex you should be aware that a fantastic mod came out for it a year or so ago. The Nameless Mod was in development for seven years, is fully voiced with professional production values, good game length and the same great gameplay as the original Deus Ex.

Anyone who enjoyed the original should give it a whirl:
http://thenamelessmod.com/

Hope your doin Mgs:pw.
BTW if you need someone for CO-OPS, send me a maessage to my psn (da-wolfdude) and ill meet you on ad-hoc party =)

I'm sure you have the funds to get out of this terrible excuse for a country, Yahtzee. Why are you still here?

Anyway, this review annoyed me. You rip on games like Red Dead Redemption, complaining about stuff that you clearly didn't even know you could get around. But you were generous to such an awful game like Alpha Protocol.

What gives?

....John barrowman?

Canid117:

Sinclose:
Why the hell was Kevin Conroy, the voice of Batman in the DCAU in the spectrum of 'dicks and assholes'?

Well as far as I know the guy himself hasn't done anything, even within his roles, to be put in that spectrum?

Thank you for so much for pointing out confusing dialogue choices. So many times do games have choices of words that don't tell you at all what it will actually say. Heavy Rain did this as well. Often times I would be trying to play the nice guy and I click on a button thinking he'll say something nice, but ends up smacking them in the face! If you're only going to have three choices like that, just say "nice," "mean," or "neutral." Don't say "car," "face," or "bird" unless it would absolutely make sense for it to be used in that situation (such as they went off on a long paragraph and you want to hear more about the bird).

But, as always, it was entertaining.

Warforger:

Kingsman:
...I never even heard of this game, but the fact that it lets you be that diverse and dickish seems appealing to me.

Are you fucking me? There was a huge advertising campaign on TV and even on ZP! You'd have to have awesome ignoring skills to not see the constant replays of the adverts.

I know, Warforger. For a couple weeks, I'd see that ad for Alpha Protocol whenever I started up a video on the Escapist. I saw that ad so many times, that line "That airliner was his first target...and we want you to kill him" has carved its place into my brain. -_- Hell, I totally expected to see an Alpha Protocol pop-up ad to appear at the start of this video.

Okay, Yahtzee, that was a serious mindfuck in the evil spectrum there.

Maybe he meant Stephen Conroy? Australian Communications Minister trying to put in our terrible firewall crap.

I managed to enjoy Alpha Protocl in spite of it's very real flaws. The reason seems simple enough - it delivered on the idea that choice had repercussions well enough to make me forget that the story just meandered around until it's conclusion. The action mechanics were functional at best, but struck me as being incredibly similar to those found in Deus Ex, which remains my favorite game to date.

Perhaps it was because of my fond memories of Deus Ex that I was willing to overlook the more damning flaws of the game. I suspect ths may be what made Yahtzee uncharacteristically forgiving in his review as I would assume that Deus Ex probably sat well with him as well.

Sinclose:

Canid117:

Sinclose:

Well as far as I know the guy himself hasn't done anything, even within his roles, to be put in that spectrum?

I wonder if he meant Christen Bale for his outburst on the set of Terminator, but that was a long time ago... Also doesn't seem like a Yahtzee mistake...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here