E3 2010: ENN: E3 News Bytes - 6/17/2010

Pages 1 2 NEXT

ENN: E3 News Bytes - 6/17/2010

A new Silent Hill game is announced, and sand becomes the must-have feature of the year.

Want to see more ENN? Join The Escapist Publisher's Club to see exclusive ENN: Rejected outtakes!

Become a fan on Facebook!

Watch Video

You know... I still don't see how anyone would be upset that you can turn off the 3D...

And thanks for that Fallout Online thing... I would have never heard about it otherwise.

Best. Sign off. Ever.

I want to hear more about Kathleen's cats, they're so awesome and need more screen time. Or perhaps Alex to randomly run in and yell KITTY a la Crapshots 23.

8 Silent hill games? Wow, and with all that other stuff Graham mentioned? Double Wow. Wasn't this franchise born on the Playstation 1?

Calumon: Even I haven't been in that many games!

the_tramp:
Best. Sign off. Ever.

I want to hear more about Kathleen's cats, they're so awesome and need more screen time. Or perhaps Alex to randomly run in and yell KITTY a la Crapshots 23.

It would be pretty funny if Alex had appeared and yelled KITTY when Kathleen mentioned the cats. And now I'm picturing Graham with hat, monologue and mustache in my head: ROFl!!

Wait, Fallout online beta sign up?

*dashes off*

Jer needs to stop going on wikipedia.

once i saw the fall out thing come across the screen i knew Graham would be running
oh Graham your such a fanboy for Fallout!

it is also sort of ironic that Jer is giving a piece of his mind to nintendo but he wears a nintendo shirt.

AnneSQF:

the_tramp:
Best. Sign off. Ever.

It would be pretty funny if Alex had appeared and yelled KITTY when Kathleen mentioned the cats. And now I'm picturing Graham with hat, monologue and mustache in my head: ROFl!!

meow! :D
and you can't go wrong with a top hat, monocle and mustache.

Irony. It didn't actually have a "play again" this time.

Yay for sand. not really. Though, yay for Silent Hill 8. From what I saw from the trailer, it looks pretty good so far.

ProfessorLayton:
You know... I still don't see how anyone would be upset that you can turn off the 3D...

I think the idea is that despite not HAVING to use the 3D, most games will anyways. Like the Wii and it's motion controls, or early DS games and the touch screen. It won't be until people have gotten over the "oooh, shiny new tech. Lets have it every where." phase that the 3D aspect wont be shoehorned into most 3DS games.

Well, I am glad they have the option to turn the 3D off...but, Jeremy is right...still going to be designed in mind for 3D...

Great Episode though!

the_tramp:
Best. Sign off. Ever.

Agreed.

Also "you'd never hit me" brought me to tears, as I was laughing so hard.

Great minisode.

Kathleen looked soo angry with life today. :(

But that definitely was the best send off of all time. All those Nightly News reporters are jealous.

yay for cats :)

loved Jer's rant about lasers

Eric the Orange:
I think the idea is that despite not HAVING to use the 3D, most games will anyways. Like the Wii and it's motion controls, or early DS games and the touch screen. It won't be until people have gotten over the "oooh, shiny new tech. Lets have it every where." phase that the 3D aspect wont be shoehorned into most 3DS games.

Exactly... but you won't have to use it. It will only be used for the top screen so I'm assuming only videos will be in 3D and I can't think of a single situation in which you would absolutely need something to be in 3D that you can't get in 2D. That's why a lot of movies, even if they're made in 3D like Avatar, have 2D versions for the people who can't see it or the people who don't like it. Yes, developers will still use 3D, but you can turn it off and you won't be able to see it. On the Wii, games had the option to use the controller but a lot of them didn't because motion controls were used so heavily in the game. Even if 3D is used heavily in the game, there will never be a time where you absolutely cannot do something in 2D.

Eric the Orange:

ProfessorLayton:

You're misunderstanding the tech (well, either that or I am). The system has a slider that lets you adjust the strength of the 3D effect via the hardware. Think of it like a volume control, only for visuals.

It isn't the SOFTWARE that's determining the 3D effect, it's the hardware. You can force it to 2D, which means that the overlapping image just gets fully integrated.

ProfessorLayton:

Exactly... but you won't have to use it. It will only be used for the top screen so I'm assuming only videos will be in 3D and I can't think of a single situation in which you would absolutely need something to be in 3D that you can't get in 2D. That's why a lot of movies, even if they're made in 3D like Avatar, have 2D versions for the people who can't see it or the people who don't like it. Yes, developers will still use 3D, but you can turn it off and you won't be able to see it. On the Wii, games had the option to use the controller but a lot of them didn't because motion controls were used so heavily in the game. Even if 3D is used heavily in the game, there will never be a time where you absolutely cannot do something in 2D.

As I Haven't seen it I can't say, but the only thing that comes to mind is a situation where you have to identify which things are 3D and which are 2D. Like the glowing parts on bosses in starfox for example, but instead of making them glow they just make those parts 3D. I guess you could still play the game but without the help those would provide it would become much harder. Or perhaps in a puzzle or RPG things that you could interact with.

John Funk:

You're misunderstanding the tech (well, either that or I am). The system has a slider that lets you adjust the strength of the 3D effect via the hardware. Think of it like a volume control, only for visuals.

It isn't the SOFTWARE that's determining the 3D effect, it's the hardware. You can force it to 2D, which means that the overlapping image just gets fully integrated.

I like to think of it more like the contrast on the original gameboys. As for the second paragraph, the same thing could be said about the Wii or DS. The touch screen and the Wii mote are hardware, but the software is what tells it when and where to implement them.

I'd like to point out here that the idea that people who can't see 3D wont be able to use the 3DS is not one I'll completely agree with or not until I get a chance to play with it. But I'm just trying to explain the other sides feelings I guess.

I broke into hysterical laughter at the mention of the word "LazerComb". Maybe it's just my memories of that e-mail being read on Joystiq's podcast.

Also, agreed on the Best Sign-Off Ever there.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Odd it did for me.

I had to do a double take on the Fallout business thought they said New Vegas instead of Online.(I'm rather tired.)

I may have had a similar reaction in digital format. Instead of jumping out of the chair, it was new tab, punch in site, pause video while loading, sign up, squeel like Kathleen around a kitten. No one was around or saw it, thus my manliness remains intact.

I also have to agree with everyone else who has said it. Best sign ever.

Haha, the play again button didn't pop up for me! :P

"Thanks Wikipedia!"

That was great. Poor Jeremy still has to deal with all that 3d stuff and now Lasers!!!

"Brought to you By Sand, It's everywhere get use to it"

"Returning you to an Escapist Logo with a play again button" Legend of a sign off. Great episode guys...I felt like I was really there.

The_root_of_all_evil:

I was about to mention that.

ProfessorLayton:

It's not so much the fact that you can turn it off as it is the fact that all games will be designed to use it, and playing with it turned off will probably be harder to visually process. Never mind the fact that developers will essentially have to make every game in 2D and 3D, thus probably raising game prices a fair chunk...

MowDownJoe:
I broke into hysterical laughter at the mention of the word "LazerComb". Maybe it's just my memories of that e-mail being read on Joystiq's podcast.

That e-mail is brilliant.

Nice try sneaking the "37....in a row" into the video.

Beta.. *WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH*
Graham Stark has left the building.

I like silent hill:Homecoming

I think the first 3 silent hill games were good.

Oh god the "You'd never hit me" was just so mean, but I laughed so much...

I enjoyed the whole Silent Hill 37 ... in a row joke.

I love these things.

And nice Clerks reference by the way.

Cadmian:
Nice try sneaking the "37....in a row" into the video.

Yes it was. I actually had to go back and rewatch part of the episode because I loled so hard after that.

What?
What phonies!
There's no play again button!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook