E3 2010: Star Wars: The Old Republic Hands-off

Pages 1 2 NEXT

E3 2010: Star Wars: The Old Republic Hands-off

A short time ago, in a convention center far, far away...

Star Wars: The Old Republic's "Sacking of Coruscant" trailer was one of the best E3 trailers I'd ever seen, so expectations were pretty high for this year's trailer. I'm happy to say that this year's trailer, "Hope," is even more amazing than I, well, hoped. It opens with the Empire's attack on Alderaan and focuses on a thrilling battle between the resistance forces and the Imperial invaders. The whole thing is just amazing and nicely sets the mood for the game.

As an Imperial column marches through the wooded mountains of Alderaan, a group of Republic soldiers waits in ambush. The soldiers launch their attack, sending blaster fire through the column. Things seem to go well for a while, until the presence of a Sith turns the tide against the brave resistance fighters. Then, just when all hope seems lost and the leader of the Republic's forces is finally dragged to stand in front of the victorious Sith, a Jedi knight appears and, well, the climactic resolution is best seen for yourself.

After the trailer, BioWare quickly covered the same ground we've been over so many times before. Yes, this is a fully-voiced MMOG. Yes, it has heroic combat with lightsabers and a cover system. Yes, your choices drive the story and the action. But we'd heard all that before and were anxious for something new. Though we didn't get quite as much as we'd hoped (particularly following the recent companion character announcement), we did learn a few things that we wanted to know.

First, every character will have their own personal starship. Serving as a base of operations like the ships in Knights of the Old Republic or Mass Effect, these starships will allow players to interact with their companion characters and, presumably, tie in to the game's economy and crafting systems. The ships we saw, a Corellian light corvette for the Jedi and an Imperial transport for the Sith, were actually very impressive and bound to serve the aspirations of every Star Wars fan.

Next, the team revealed a bit of the visual progression we can expect from the Bounty Hunter class. We'd seen some of this progression before with other classes, but this was the first chance I'd had to view the whole range of options, from the blaster-armed, kneepad-wearing level 1 all the way up to the armor-clad, rocket-punching master bounty hunter at the top of the level cap.

We also heard just a bit about the PVP system. The game will focus PVP action in war zones, which encourage players to engage in team-based combat between factions. The only war zone announced today we Alderaan, but there will be more.

The demo closed with a look at group combat. While the game is designed to be very solo friendly, BioWare definitely wants to encourage group play. The example that we saw included four Republic characters fighting off a Sith invasion of their Republic starship. The trooper is the heavy fighter of the group and focuses his attacks on the enemy's largest and most deadly fighter, in this case, a large battle droid. The Jedi Consular's role is to hang out along the fringes of the battle, making sure to keep the trooper healed up. The two other characters, the Jedi Knight and the Smuggler, are there to handle the lesser enemies and keep them off the trooper's back. It was interesting to see how the different roles interacted in the fight, particularly the way that different class types broke off from their main roles from time to time to tackle new challenges.

As satisfying as the demo was, we still have some significant questions about several key features. No, the team is still not talking about space combat. No, they're still not talking about the mechanics of multiplayer conversations. No, they're not talking about crafting or player economies. No, they're still not giving any more details on the companion characters that were recently revealed. But I was happy that I keep getting at least enough new details to keep me hungry for more.

Keep track of all our E3 2010 coverage here.

Hmm..is the trailer up on Youtube?

Edit: Yes it is never mind.

Still alot of questions hanging in the air on this one...and ones I will want answering before I really commit to another Star Wars game...

Man I really really hope my laptop can run this

DrunkDonut:
Man I really really hope my laptop can run this

Graphics don't seem too straining on a computer. Sort of like WoW graphics, so i guess my new Laptop i'l be getting soon will be able to run this in Spring 2011 :D

God damn I want this game so much now. It was a maybe before E3 but now. Day one release baby.

I can't wait to play this game. Never before has an MMO interested me but this seems perfect. I guess the only problem is that when people use 'MMO speak' I have no idea what they mean.

Razavn:

Link please?

I looked at the trailer and I thought "were those clone troopers? surely not, even though they look awfully similar"

besides what will be point of this never ending war?

I suppose one should not play it for the story. :(

El Poncho:

Razavn:

Link please?

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwLy4IVX6B0

I found the other one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpJX7hgRjJo&feature=PlayList&p=DFC3A8EA6A4889C1&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=10

By the way, the trailers are really, really amazing..I like RPGs but my computer is crap (I can't run Company of Heroes on the lowest settings) so will I be able to run this?

Crap, internet being a pain so double post...

Razavn:

El Poncho:

Razavn:

Link please?

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwLy4IVX6B0

I found the other one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpJX7hgRjJo&feature=PlayList&p=DFC3A8EA6A4889C1&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=10

By the way, the trailers are really, really amazing..I like RPGs but my computer is crap (I can't run Company of Heroes on the lowest settings) so will I be able to run this?

Thank you ;D

DividedUnity:
God damn I want this game so much now. It was a maybe before E3 but now. Day one release baby.

It is a day one release for me as well. Although, I am making sure I get it on day one because I already pre-ordered it about a week ago. Yes, pre-ordering a game one year in advance does sound kind of crazy but I really want this game. I also signed up for the beta too.

Razavn:

http://www.swtor.com/

For once a game website that is actually worth looking at.

I need a PC gaming rig, no joke. This is probaly where I use the line "Jizz in my pants".

gof22:

DividedUnity:

It is a day one release for me as well. Although, I am making sure I get it on day one because I already pre-ordered it about a week ago. Yes, pre-ordering a game one year in advance does sound kind of crazy but I really want this game. I also signed up for the beta too.

I havent preordered it yet but I signed up for beta testing too. Cant wait :D

DividedUnity:

gof22:

DividedUnity:

When does the Beta testing start?

Kungfu_Teddybear:

DividedUnity:

gof22:

DividedUnity:

When does the Beta testing start?

In a few months I think. It doesnt say. If you sign up though they give you the option to beta test so I'm assuming they will send you an email

DividedUnity:
In a few months I think. It doesnt say. If you sign up though they give you the option to beta test so I'm assuming they will send you an email

Awesome might have my new PC by time the Beta starts then :D

mad825:
I looked at the trailer and I thought "were those clone troopers? surely not, even though they look awfully similar"

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? Bioware have the best reputation in the videogame industry for creating storylines in games. They are tying to create this MMO based almost solely on storyline

I was curious about this game but for a while I wasn't convinced I'd try it. Then I read "Every character gets their own ship" and I was sold. Don't ask me why, the idea of your own Star Wars ship is so appealing, like your own little hub. Having companions also seems cool, though I'm curious how you interact with other people.

Why the hell do the republic soldiers look so much like clone troopers?

I mean, the trailer looks pants-shittingly-awesome, but this irritates the hell out of me.

Vuljatar:

I mean, the trailer looks pants-shittingly-awesome, but this irritates the hell out of me.

In most fantasy books/games/whatever hundreds of years can pass without to much change at all. Hundreds of years with very little change in technology or culture and while Star Wars has themes that very from hard core science fiction to the wild west at it's core it's a lot like a fantasy setting with a Sci fi veil. It's because of this that hundreds of years will pass with very little change, much like what happened on earth during the younger years of civilization, and while it may bug you it kinda makes sense. If they drastically changed the setting to add stories it wouldn't be Star Wars now would it? Could they have changed the armor? Sure, it probably wouldn't have made that big of a deal. As for why the didn't the reasons could vary but I personally believe they kept it that way the same reason they didn't change the way the jedi or sith looked drastically. They added here and there but when you look at them you know even without a lightsaber or use of powers that those guys are force users. They want to keep that familiar look because to a lot of fans and even people that just know of the series that is the look of SW and changing it may do more harm then good. Especially to a devoted fan base.

Also the obvious fact is that these guys came before the clone troopers so actually the clone troopers look like them. The armor is too simple to make it look even more primitive so that's out the window and their older so they can't make it look more advanced or they make the same mistake that was made with the star fighters in the prequels among other things.

Vuljatar:

Yeah, it didn't strike me as odd the first watch but looking at it again it seems a bit out of place. Isn't the clone armor derivative of Jango Fett's? So why is this present hundreds of years in the past?
Regardless, the trailer was pretty epic. I hope I wasn't the only one to yell HADOUKEN! at 4:18.

Why couldn't they have put the guy who made these in charge of the clone wars animation...

If I do buy this game, All I'll want to do is watch the cutscenes...
And I think I'm going to throw my voice in with the others saying they'll be buying this day one... But I can wait for the beta guys to take the bugs out first.

Holy *&^%! Maybe I need to pay more attention to this game.

want...Want...WANT!!!!!!!!!

LostProxy:

Vuljatar:

In most fantasy books/games/whatever hundreds of years can pass without to much change at all. Hundreds of years with very little change in technology or culture and while Star Wars has themes that very from hard core science fiction to the wild west at it's core it's a lot like a fantasy setting with a Sci fi veil. It's because of this that hundreds of years will pass with very little change, much like what happened on earth during the younger years of civilization, and while it may bug you it kinda makes sense. If they drastically changed the setting to add stories it wouldn't be Star Wars now would it? Could they have changed the armor? Sure, it probably wouldn't have made that big of a deal. As for why the didn't the reasons could vary but I personally believe they kept it that way the same reason they didn't change the way the jedi or sith looked drastically. They added here and there but when you look at them you know even without a lightsaber or use of powers that those guys are force users. They want to keep that familiar look because to a lot of fans and even people that just know of the series that is the look of SW and changing it may do more harm then good. Especially to a devoted fan base.

Also the obvious fact is that these guys came before the clone troopers so actually the clone troopers look like them. The armor is too simple to make it look even more primitive so that's out the window and their older so they can't make it look more advanced or they make the same mistake that was made with the star fighters in the prequels among other things.

The thing is though, as I recall Republic soldiers didn't look like that in any of the other media depicting that time period.

Vuljatar:
The thing is though, as I recall Republic soldiers didn't look like that in any of the other media depicting that time period.

If my memory serves right, BioWare made the call early on to make the units look more like the Movie-Era to draw in fans who weren't particularly familiar with the time period. If you play the original KOTOR, there's a pretty noticeable difference in the technology, and fashion.

Vuljatar:

Good point, if I remember correctly they didn't look that impressive at all. Well when someone thinks soldiers of the Republic they imagine that design. It's easier to pull people in with the familiar and then expand upon their knowledge of that period over time.

SilentHunter7:

If my memory serves right, BioWare made the call early on to make the units look more like the Movie-Era to draw in fans who weren't particularly familiar with the time period. If you play the original KOTOR, there's a pretty noticeable difference in the technology, and fashion.

Well that backs up my point and there were some noticeable differences, just not as many as you would expect for what was it? Like a one or two hundred year difference?

OMG ONOES gif Pictures, Images and Photos i cant wait!! T_T

digotw:

mad825:

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? Bioware have the best reputation in the videogame industry for creating storylines in games. They are tying to create this MMO based almost solely on storyline

sorry, I should have made it more clearer anyway here is something I said on another The Old Republic thread.

thus my statement points out a very obvious plot hole and I dont think that they are ever going to explain it.

EDIT: Oh yea, ending this "storyline" is going to be very difficult because if they end it too early it going to rather pointless and ending it too late is rather boring, the end must come at some point.

You must be unaware of the relationship between Star Wars and technology to consider that as a 'plot hole'.

Long story short...it doesn't evolve much if at all for a period of something like 5 millenia. Even the old republic comics (which I think were the first one set in that approximate time period) still featured a slew of tech that stayed the same for 4000 years. So this is hardly anything unexpected.

Loonerinoes:
You must be unaware of the relationship between Star Wars and technology to consider that as a 'plot hole'.

Long story short...it doesn't evolve much if at all for a period of something like 5 millenia. Even the old republic comics (which I think were the first one set in that approximate time period) still featured a slew of tech that stayed the same for 4000 years. So this is hardly anything unexpected.

Yep, tech in star wars evolves very slowly, and I'm certain this is mentioned in several different places... I think I first came across mention of it in the old WEG role playing game. In addition, although there's some variation in detail SW aesthetics are purposefully limited to be faction specific:

Rebels/the republic tend to wear brown earth colours (or have coloured armour motifs) and fly round in organic looking spaceships

While the Sith/seperatists tend to be monochrome, and fly around in angular ships.

Ok so I have simplified a bit. Nevertheless, it's a non-too subtle, but effective, way to differentiate the good guys from the bad guys. The consequence is you're going to see the same visual themes redeployed again and again within this universe, and really why not? A large portion of the appeal is the way SW looks.

Gift.

Yes, but the game will look and play nothing like this pretty cinematic trailer. It will be closer to wow or kotor then some type of interactive movie.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here