Escape to the Movies: Toy Story 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Two things. First, I'm watching this movie. I have to. I've seen Toy Story countless times as a kid.

Second... it looks like GoW3 might be doing alot of things right mechanic-wise, meaning that it could be a good, solid game. I'm personally stoked for Medal of Honor, due to the fact that I have deep post-divorce childhood memories invested into it. Don't give me the crap about the modern youth ending up as hollow shells based on the games they play, because unless I exceed physical, gain the ability to make 500 yard shots, completely degrade my sensitivity and join the marines and become a scout sniper, that's just not gonna happen.

The Philistine:

Haseo21:
Jesus christ!
Why the hell did he do this movie and not Jonah Hex?

Let's see... review the last in a series of movies that have been routinely good and popular for a wide audience or review an action movie based off a little known DC character that will probably be quickly forgotten amidst all the other action movies at best.

I'm glad Bob went for the movie that will almost without fail have more depth :)

Yeah, no kidding. I'm glad he did this one and not Jonah Hex. It's got that Transformers chick in it which has an Intelligence and Wisdom of -4, so the average Intelligence of that picture is...what, -3? :P

Good job, I'm going to try to see this one in theaters.

AgDr_ODST:

The Pink Pansy:

AgDr_ODST:

The Pink Pansy:
And here I thought this was going to be a cheap, knock-off sequel. Might have to see this.

ITS Pixar! They'd NEVER do that to the last movie in thier flagship series. or have you been living under a rock for so long (namely between TS2 and now) that you've forgotten that Pixar never half way does anything

No offense man, but these days I automatically assume sequels are cheap knockoffs until proven otherwise, regardless of who makes it.

technically its the third movie in the series not a sequel. No one(except for you maybe) considers the 3rd movie to be a sequel to the 2nd

Dude, the definition of `sequel`is something that follows something else. Therefore, each movie in a series is the sequel to the movie that came before, rendering your argument null. The argument you`re making is also invalid, as there is no overarching story to the 3 Toy Story movies. Each movie has a self contained story; the only aspect that transfers from each movie to the next are the characters and some of the setting. A series of movies assumes there is a consistent plot overarching the events of all the movies. Now enough of this; I don`t want to start a flame war.

dashiz94:
that's great to hear it's a faithful and perfect sequel. that said....

WHY THE FUCK DID YOU BRING UP THAT SCENE FROM THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER?!?!?!? Do you know how LONG it took me to forget that!? DO YOU?!

dear god yeah seriously. that scene still scares the hell out of me for no good reason other than it did when i was 6

There is no excuse to not watch this movie. RT has got it at 100% after 125 reviews and EttM gave it an awesome review. I know what Im doing this weekend.

Now I'm just afraid I'm going to get all sad while I watch it. But I still want to see it.

Woodsey:

Soylent Bacon:
Wait wait wait, Toy Story 2 is good?? And Toy Story 3 is good???

I seem to have made the fatal mistake of judging a book by its cover, I wrote these two off as crappy sequels milking a franchise, Shrek style.

Please tell me you're not saying you've never seen Toy Story 2...

What? Would you rather he was saying he saw the movie but thought it sucked?

Damn you movie bob, I had repressed my memories of that scene in brave little toaster >=(. I want to see this so bad, because I'm 14 now so I grew up with these movies, but I've no doubt me and my nephew will be bawling from this review and the other things I've heard.

Twinmill5000:
Two things. First, I'm watching this movie. I have to. I've seen Toy Story countless times as a kid.

Second... it looks like GoW3 might be doing alot of things right mechanic-wise, meaning that it could be a good, solid game. I'm personally stoked for Medal of Honor, due to the fact that I have deep post-divorce childhood memories invested into it. Don't give me the crap about the modern youth ending up as hollow shells based on the games they play, because unless I exceed physical, gain the ability to make 500 yard shots, completely degrade my sensitivity and join the marines and become a scout sniper, that's just not gonna happen.

Okaaaaaay, not quite sure what that second paragraph has to do with anything on these boards, but anyway...

OT: I can't believe I have to wait a frikkin' month to see this film. You have no idea how lucky you are, America! I hate it when Disney does this! I mean, last year we limey Brits didn't get to see Up until October while you guys got a May release date.

It's like Disney actively want these films to be pirated...

*sheds a single tear*

I'm the age where I grew up with toy story, even as a kid my toys were comparable - with a longtime toy of a handmade sailor doll and a newerly made alien.
But someone on facebook ruined the ending to it for me. Pissed.
I've been nearly crying at episodes of Sarah Jane adventures recently, so it's likely that I'll die at this, even knowing what's coming.

HOWEVER.

I can't be the only one who gets pissed off if someone says "This movie is so sad"
IT'S STILL A FUCKING SPOILER, I couldn't stop crying at the end of The bridge to terabithia, and it was all the more poignent because I didn't know it was coming. (My mum, sister and I all sat on the sofa with a blanket on us crying)

Knowing something sad is going to happen ruins that a bit.

/rant

AgDr_ODST:

The Pink Pansy:

AgDr_ODST:

The Pink Pansy:
And here I thought this was going to be a cheap, knock-off sequel. Might have to see this.

ITS Pixar! They'd NEVER do that to the last movie in thier flagship series. or have you been living under a rock for so long (namely between TS2 and now) that you've forgotten that Pixar never half way does anything

No offense man, but these days I automatically assume sequels are cheap knockoffs until proven otherwise, regardless of who makes it.

technically its the third movie in the series not a sequel. No one(except for you maybe) considers the 3rd movie to be a sequel to the 2nd

No one, except for him and literally everyone else ever.

Woah woah woah...

This is a story about talking toys, what's all this shit about allusions to purgatory and the complex philosophy of mortality?

Fuck me! I need to go watch these movies again.

Let me see, I have yet to see Toy Story 3, I was 4 when the first one came out and I've seen both, now that I look at the series, IT WAS DEEP, if any morons dismiss this as "Kiddie Fare" they are certifiably retarded. As for the movie itself, I thought Pixar sold it's soul to the evil Disney overlords but they seem to be unaffected by Disney's "No Depth" policy.

I want to see this now!

Saw this on the midnight release. Freaking amazing animation and emotionally moving, especially since im the same age as Andy. Its better than Up, and Pixar could not have made a better end for the series of great movies that never stooped to retarded jokes like that of Shrek and most dreamworks movies.
Bob nailed this one right on the head, but he should have said to GO SEE THIS MOVIE RIGHT NOW because its better than anything else out.

Dirty Apple:
For movies featuring children's toys, Toystory has always had a sharp, hard edge hidden under all that plush. That's what made them relatable to the adults "forced" to go see them with the kids. I'm glad to hear that it gets an appropriate send off, and since I'm the one with childlike whimsy in our relationship, I'll undoubtedly make my wife go see it with me.

As a side note:

dashiz94:

WHY THE FUCK DID YOU BRING UP THAT SCENE FROM THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER?!?!?!? Do you know how LONG it took me to forget that!? DO YOU?!

I'm not sure what The Brave Little Toaster is, but I sure as hell remember Artax and the Swamp of Despair. Man, was that rough.

I let my friend play a bit of Twilight Princess while I was busy in the kitchen, and came back with my horse being named Artax.
I was very upset with her.

Lemme just say:

THE CLAW!

Biffy Cakeo:
Cool Beans

Somebody else says it!

This movie must be pretty sad, even bobs speech is slower than usual.

Heres the sequel! http://www.cracked.com/video_18191_toy-story-4-andys-freshman-year-college.html

Once again, I will be buying an extra ticket, and leaving a seat open for Colby Curtin.

I was about 4 or 5 when the first movie came out so I am in the range where you suggest I steel my resolve. Hopefully the internets has crushed my soul enough that I do not cry over things like that any more.

And is anyone else getting the feeling that the Slim Jim commercial the escapist has playing in front of videos now belongs on Nickelodeon instead of... well... the escapist?

i was always one of the kids who watched the scenes in never ending story and the blt. best parts if you ask me.
and as for toy story. meh.
thats all i can say.
the first one was epic. but i have a feeling if i went back and watched it now that im not 5, i probably wouldn't think so.
the second was garbage and i imagine this one will probably be aswell. it may surprise me. but i doubt itl have the chance seeing as im not planning on watching it.

also keating as ken.... hmmm i wonder who's going to play that villain you were talking about.

Toy Story 1 was one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid.
Didn't watch the second one because I didn't think it could be as good as the first.(there was a lot of drama for the first movie, almost not getting to see it, and stuff; and back then cassettes where really hard to get hold of; not like now with DVD's)
Anyway, I'm glad to see that they took a more mature turn to the story, while keeping it fateful. I'm really looking forward to enjoying this film.

Kmadden2004:

Twinmill5000:

Okaaaaaay, not quite sure what that second paragraph has to do with anything on these boards, but anyway...

OT: I can't believe I have to wait a frikkin' month to see this film. You have no idea how lucky you are, America! I hate it when Disney does this! I mean, last year we limey Brits didn't get to see Up until October while you guys got a May release date.

It's like Disney actively want these films to be pirated...

Watch the videos then, and look for the constant remarks bashing modern youth.

I only found Lotso once in Up. He's in the little girl's room when she sees Carl's house floating up into the air. He's in the bottom left corner.

I'm glad to hear that it's up to par! I've come to trust Pixar but still was scared since it's the 3rd one and it's been so long since they've visited this story.

Zhukov:

Also, did anyone else think for a second there that he was saying it was a bad movie? Right around the "emotional equivalent of a jellyfish" line? Or was it just me?

Ya, I also feel that "sad" is not something you attributed to jellyfish, I see them more as care-free and blissfully unaware beings.

This review has gotten rid of all my worries about the movie, has it already come out?

As someone who grew up with toy story I'm happy to know that the 3rd movie is being done right.

I'm looking forward to watching this, Thanks Movie Bob.

Fi-Fifteen years!? FIFTEEN YEARS.

...My god... I have to go lie down, I'm reeling.

I'm glad I decided to see it early instead of waiting another 2 hours to see it in 3D. I was anxious to see it and it was worth it.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to end up near tears, if Disney/Pixar's recent films are any indication. (Especially UP. I was trying not to cry during that intro.)

I can't wait for this. It comes out to much later in the UK, I'm so depressed.

You're telling me I should watch Toy Story 2?

And apparently the game is pretty good too, so... Yeah, thanks for being continually awesome, Pixar. I really wonder what they can do to top this and "Up!".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here