Escape to the Movies: Toy Story 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Just saw it, Toy Story 3 is awesome. Go see it now.

Holy Crap Toy Story 2 was like the first movie I ever saw back before I was even in school(dont ask how I remember that). I thought the third one would be bad because its been so long, but watching this has really uped my look on this movie.

i was like 3 or 4 when this movie came out...and i still loved them.

What is up with Pixar? No, really.

Bob has mentioned this in the past, I think, but somehow Pixar has managed to build a children's movie empire out of basically exploring death and decay. As a teenager I remember being extremely creeped out by a drunk, amputee Buzz Lightyear coming to terms with his own irrelevance, and as a grown up I couldn't believe how deep the treatment of disability in Nemo was, how aggressive Wall-e is about our society and how terribly tearjerkingly sad and crepuscular Up got.

Seriously, these are movies about people who know they are at the end of their lives, that are crippled by traumatic experiences or that don't matter in the large scheme of things. Pixar has somehow been remaking Lost in Translation for fifteen years. For children. Who seem to love it.

It kind of gives you hope in humanity a bit. And makes children feel a bit scary. What goes wrong in the transition between liking Up, a disertation on mortality and nostalgia and becoming a person who likes Transformers 2, a disertation on strange blobs of metal jumping around and racist jokes? Is there some chemical in condoms that gives us all a lobotomy when we lose virginity?

I can't believe he said "The Brave Little Toaster," because I was thinking bout it & then he said it.

Yeah, they can't make Buzz gay, so why not pair him up with a female Woody?

Most of pixar's gag humor annoys the snot out of me. I grew up watching horror movies & mature cartoons as a little girl, & reading the dark undisnified versions of fairy tales told among medival housewives to scare their kids into obidience, so kid stuff basicly sickens me.

I can't help but think you're overthinking things though, like those damn neonazis who somehow think Lord of the Rings is symbolic of naziizm & the prolifers who thought Horton Hears a Who was about antiabortion.

please, everybody found Lotso in Up almost a year ago.

Wow, I've got to say, I think I enjoyed that movie even more than I enjoyed the original Toy Story. Everything about it was just so great. It's also the only movie I've ever seen to almost make me cry.

Absolute respect for Pixar. Everything they make is just gold.

I was 2 years old when Toy Story came out, but I still feel a little old. Also, I think I pertain the right to watch it in priority those damned kids.

Thank you for drawing attention to the fact that i have grown up in exact tandem with Andy. Its unnerving realising that this is the end of the first pixar franchise i genuinely loved as a kid. Was 2 back then and I'm seventeen now.....jesus

I'm not sure I want to see it now, don't really want to have an emotional breakdown in the middle of a cinema.

Who am I kidding, I'll still watch it and just suffer for a week.

Ah, damn it. I don't normally admit it but I cried at the beginning of "Up", I cried at the end of "Pans Labyrinth" and now this?

They should give out free kleenex at the theater or something, although I'd feel sorry for the guy who's got to clean those all up at the end. Ew.

I live in Britain, and this doesn't come out until July 19th.

Toy Story is a very, very special film to me.

I am 17, and the first film was the first full feature film I ever managed to sit through in a cinema without complaining (I was either 1 or 2 at the time, I think I was about 1, not too far off 2). It was just such an amazing movie, awe-inspiring to say the least because it was just so original and was pulled off beautifully.

The sequel made things better with a villain (VOICED BY KELSEY GRAMMER!) who was a toy, but longed to be admired due to the fact that he was a thing of the past. Jessie's song was saddening, and the story itself was fun, throwing a villain in for Buzz as well as Woody. Some may say that Stinky Pete wasn't really a villain, but his intentions were wrong, even if he was trying to preserve himself.

Toy Story 3...I will see this at a midnight showing if they have them in my cinema. This film is that special. I haven't done that with any other film, but this will be a film deserving of a midnight showing.

Pixar. I applaud you.

I'm sixteen now, so I suppose I have grown up in tandem with the films!
I should really go see this.
Toy Story was the first film that made me cry, I saw the TV premier when I was three or four. I didn't think Buzz and Woody were going to make it back to the truck on RC. I thought it was all over. Then... oooh... I need to see this movie.

Knew I wouldn't be the only one crying like a baby there at the end. Good for you, Movie Bob.
I'm that age group you were talking about, turned 18 this year, grew up right there with Andy.

wait wait wait....

you wanted Bob to review Jonah Hex instead of Toy Story 3!??!

"Review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes reports that 14% of critics have given the film a positive review based on 88 reviews, with an average score of 3.5/10."

Yup. Jonah Hex is sounding like a great movie isnt it.

icyneesan:
Hell I got emotional during this, if I go see the damn movie Ill probably cry like theres no tomorrow D:

I got teared up during the review, I'm doomed D:

...Doesn't stop me wanting to see it though. I just might take a box of tissues. People may laugh at first, but I bet I'll be really popular by the end ><

"Chambering rounds" I like. Well put.

wow...didn't see that coming.
i was quite sceptical about this since i thought it would be the retard child of 1 and 2.

i was proven wrong.

That was alot deeper then usual, Bob. And I like it.

Wow. You really really liked it, it seems.

Though it sounds really depressing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Still...don't really like tear-jerkers all that much ..
*sniff*

aww man did you need say the ending was sad? :<

Wait... People still doubt whether Pixar movies are going to be good? That surprises me a little. I mean when has Pixar ever made a bad movie? Even Cars, which was their worst in my opinion, was pretty entertaining.

Pixar seems incapable of making a bad movie.
First movie I ever remember seeing was Toy Story... sheee, 15 years, it's been a while.

dammit, it's not out in the UK for over a month. Looking forward to it, and I'm sure I'll be bawling like a baby at the end.

Great review B-man as always. I'm just want to mention a little known pop culture fact to mark the occasion. Did you know Joss Whedon wrote and won an award for the screenplay for the very first Toy Story? Bob probably knows it, but do you guys? Interesting.

I'm so glad this is good. Some parts of the trailers worried me.

I know I'm going to be a glubbing fool in the cinema. I'm at the perfect age for this movie; I grew up along side Andy and I'm even going to uni after this summer.

I'll probably have to bring my old Woody and Buzz Lightyear toys with me.

Just saw this one last night. All of my friends and I have grown up tandem with Andy so we packed ourselves into the back two rows. It was an amazing movie. Not quite as good as the first but way better than the second. I didn't catch any of the cameo's, though. Probably just because I wasn't paying attention. The ending is sad, but not enough to make me cry. I swelled up a bit, but I was able to hold the tears back. I think I would have cried if I wasn't anticipating a sad ending.

I think my only complaint that I have with the movie (and what mostly makes it not as good as the first) is the fact that there are so many characters (not saying which), and some of my favorite characters, that they left out. There's one in particular that probably got left out because they couldn't get the voice for her, but all of the other ones didn't have voices and could have been animated in. I think the main reason they left them out, though, is because of how the movie's plot is set up, if they would have been drawn in the first scene they would have had to be drawn in every scene after (you'll see what I mean).

All in all, it was probably the best movie that I've seen in theaters in years. You'd be crazy to miss it if you grew up with the series, and even if you didn't it's still the best movie out of the releases this week.

Just saw the movie about an hour ago. I have to say, Pixar has once again amazed me by going deeper than most movies, especially family movies, dare to go. I really respect them for that. I'm the perfect audience for this movie since I'll be going to college in a year and a bit.

Also, the ending wasn't that bad guys, I mean sure it was very emotional, but it was possibly the happiest ending a movie could ever have.

P.S. For those of you who saw it, was that not one of the best villains ever in a movie? Although I personally wish something could have happened with him that changed him.

I actually wasn't crying at the end... But 9/10 people in the theater were, I'm surprised all the people didn't drown with tears. I got a god affawl headache from those glasses and screming kids in the movie. But yeah, I will admit the end was pretty sad. Not the saddest, but I wouldn't blame people for tearing up. But as a 14 year old, I thought the movie was sort of childish, I for the most part didn't like the humor, but I did get a laugh out of some of the humor, but what am I to expect. It was an alright movie, but hell, every thing must come to and end.

Just got back.

Holy crap that was fantastic.

likalaruku:
I can't believe he said "The Brave Little Toaster," because I was thinking bout it & then he said it.

Yeah, they can't make Buzz gay, so why not pair him up with a female Woody?

Most of pixar's gag humor annoys the snot out of me. I grew up watching horror movies & mature cartoons as a little girl, & reading the dark undisnified versions of fairy tales told among medival housewives to scare their kids into obidience, so kid stuff basicly sickens me.

I can't help but think you're overthinking things though, like those damn neonazis who somehow think Lord of the Rings is symbolic of naziizm & the prolifers who thought Horton Hears a Who was about antiabortion.

Go on Rotten Tomatoes and read the article titled "It's Toy Hell". The director of Toy Story states basically in that intervew what Bob said about the mortality of the toys.

I doubt it'll make me cry. The only movie that's managed to make me even a little sad was Of Mice And Men.

I watched it.

I am Andy's age. I was 2 when I saw the first movie and it's one of my earliest memories... I'm not ashamed to say that certain scenes made me tear up and other scenes made me swell. Also, the feeling of nostalgia was right what I asked for!

After watching this review and then seeing the movie, I have one thing to say.

Jellyfish, is a very accurate word. TOY STORY FOREVER!

EDIT: One question though. Scary part? I guess you could say

Was a little tense for the younger viewers. But y-YOU DO NOT COMPARE THAT TO BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER! NOT EVEN CLOSE!

My friend and I went to the theater.
The 3D version was sold out.
We were sad.
We bought the closest time for the movie in regular-vision.
We waited an hour.
We sat down in the theater.
We watched the film.
We laughed.
We teared up.
We smiled...
And smiled...
And smiled some more.

And we loved it.

Pixar, you are gods. You are my main inspiration for my dreams and ambitions for going in the world of entertainment and cinema. I can only pray that my films (if I get lucky enough to make them) will be as good as yours.

Pixar, you are amazing. Keep doing what your doing. I will gladly await your next film.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here