Escape to the Movies: Toy Story 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

I saw it, and thank god i have a strong will.

I was eating some skittles when I saw this, nearly choked on them cause I was crying. I'm not as old as Andy, but I grow up with Toy Story, and at the end I had tears and my lip quivered a bit.

This review completely captured my thoughts on the new movie and the entire series. Pixar does what they do so well, adding such emotion to movies like this. Its not like the cheap laughs you get with Dreamworks.

You know i didn't really feel all depressed at the end. the last one of the series really didn't have that teary eye effect the other two had (Jessie's abandoning and Buzz replacing). But it was totally worth seeing with my friend cause we watched it at 9 am (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-) and when we came out there was a HUGE line of kids and he started saying loudly MAN I CAN'T BELIEVE WOODY DIED LIKE THAT. I MEAN IF THEY WERE GONNA KILL HIM OFF AT LEAST DO IT WITH DIGNITY, NOT AN INCINERATOR!

and i am proud that i was the proper age for the first one and i was the same age as andy (or a year older...)

I finally watched this movie five minutes ago.

I cried my eyes out. I grew up on these films, and now I'm almost 17. This is now my favorite trilogy of ALL TIME!

Freakin' love Toy Story...T.T

I feel like giving my parents a big hug for showing me the original movie as a kid.

Just saw it. I didn't cry, however I was very close. No, I'm not trying to sound manly by not crying, I actually only cry at Nintendo related things for some reason (Pokemon: The First Movie and the last episode of There will be Brawl).

I felt the same way going in, a 34 year old man, worried about taking his son to see an animated movie that would likely make him cry. Me, not my son. Although he did get a bit upset, the "dark part" that the poster above mentioned is, I feel, just a bit too much for those 8 and under, but not so much so that it was offensive. It was just portrayed so perfectly real, you truely forget that you are not watching real people in this part. That said though, those afraid of crying, FEAR NOT!!!!! The 3-D glasses provide just the right cover! Enjoy!

Aw. I thank Pixar, too, for creating infintely smart, enjoyable, profound CHILDREN'S movies that shine so brightly amongst all the other crap, in both the children's and adults cinematic fields.

It was worth standing in line. It was worth being among the unwashed masses. It was worth the price of a ticket. So help me, it was even worth the extra three bucks to use the glasses of intense headache just so I could see it when I happened to show up at the theater.

I've always drawn parallels between Hayao Miyazaki and Pixar, both with an incredible line up of movies, both genius.

Pixar's most critically panned film was Cars, at 74% on Rotten Tomatoes. Miyazaki's was the academy award nominated Howl's Moving Castle, at 86%. When your worst movie is Cars (excellent) or Howl's Moving Castle (really excellent), you know you rock.

Anyway, the point of this rambling was that somebody at Pixar looooves Miyazaki, and the Totoro cameo was fantastic. Miyazaki's name is also in the credits under Special Thanks. Totoro is my favorite Miyazaki film, so that really made me happy.

Thanks to this vid and everyone's posts, now I feel like a heartless bastard for not crying. I think I went in expecting something sad on the level with Bambi or Never-Ending Story, but I got nothing of the sort. IMO:

Don't get me wrong, this is a great movie, but at no point was I genuinely sad, not even at the end. I guess that makes me some sort of psychopath.

The way people were putting it I thought it was going to be depressing, but at the end of the movie I had the biggest, stupidest smirk on my face. I was way too happy to cry.

dashiz94:
that's great to hear it's a faithful and perfect sequel. that said....

WHY THE FUCK DID YOU BRING UP THAT SCENE FROM THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER?!?!?!? Do you know how LONG it took me to forget that!? DO YOU?!

I know,right?

If I could speak to the head of the Toy Story movies, I'd say thanks for such a good movie franchise. That, and peace be with you. Good way to conclude it.

I was a kid when 1 and 2 first came out, and I just got back from seeing 3. Now, I haven't cried at a movie or TV show or anything since I was 8.

I didn't cry after reading Bridge to Terebithia.
I didn't cry when Mufasa died.
I didn't cry when a whole country celebrated the slumdog's victory.
I didn't cry when Nico Robin said she wanted to live.
I didn't cry when Raine Sage was "reunited" with her mother.
I didn't cry when Jessie talked about her life with Emily.
I didn't cry when Wall-E saved an entire species.
I didn't cry when we saw the Frederiksen's marriage.

But...

I am literally going to college this fall also....and man did I almost cry. One of those silent choking cries. I looked over at my friends (of the same age as well), and they were also bawling their eyes out.

skylog:
I was a kid when 1 and 2 first came out, and I just got back from seeing 3. Now, I haven't cried at a movie or TV show or anything since I was 8.

But...

It was the part just before that that made me lose it... The spoiler tag below is there for a VERY GOOD REASON, so don't click it if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Oh and I cried at most of those things. ESPECIALLY when I read Bridge to Terabithia. Have you no soul?

yep, Ill admit it, I got something in my eye at the endo of the movie. Getting a little watery just thinking about it.

Toy Story was my all time favorite movies as a kid. I am 17, just like Andy and have grown up with the series since then. I saw the movie in 3D (they were not offering it any other way) and I can thank god for those glasses. I started to cry around 10 minutes before the movie ended and I didn't stop till I was well out of the theater and in the bathroom. It was the saddest moment in a movie since... to be honest I don't think there has been a moment in a movie that could compare to this.

just watched it at an outdoor drive-in. DAMN, I cried. He was right. I was about to cry during this review for some reason as I said in an earlier post. It is probably the best movie by Pixar ever. Someone said, "too happy to cry" but... I was so happy I cried. : )

Wow! I am one of those guys 'Movie Bob' was talking about! Toy Story was the first movie I actually saw and also one of my favorite movie of all time. I'm also about to got to college now... That is soo cool!!!

I had the brave little toaster repressed! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BRING IT UP WAAAAA

I grew up with this, im only one year older than andy was in the movie. I still felt that feeling of amazement and wonder that o felt years ago when isaw the other movies. Btw who else here had a Buzz and Woody doll? I had Buzz's ship and the RC buggy (which was the collest fucking rc car ever)

Nurb:
they needed an outside studio (at first) that was better at "being disney" than Disney.

What are you talking about, Pixar is more in line with what made Don Bluth movies great back in the 80s rather than Disney.

Disney has always been about princesses and fairy god mothers, not the type of royal material that Pixar cranks at...=/

Uh, Toy Story 1 was about accepting yourself for what you are, Toy Story 2 was about parental feelings of abandonment when children leave home. Nothing about mortality in either movie at all, frankly.

Also, Splice sucked, and to such a degree that I can't believe you really liked it. I'm going to have extreme difficulty taking anything you say seriously now. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Just listen to the tone of his voice in this review compared to the other reviews. That should tell you everything you need to know about the movie.

Antacid:
Also, Splice sucked, and to such a degree that I can't believe you really liked it. I'm going to have extreme difficulty taking anything you say seriously now. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I do agree with this statement.

Thunderhorse31:
Thanks to this vid and everyone's posts, now I feel like a heartless bastard for not crying. I think I went in expecting something sad on the level with Bambi or Never-Ending Story, but I got nothing of the sort. IMO:

Don't get me wrong, this is a great movie, but at no point was I genuinely sad, not even at the end. I guess that makes me some sort of psychopath.

Nah, you're just like me.
MANLY.
I was not close to tears in any part of the movie.
Up on the other hand...

Haseo21:
Jesus christ!
Why the hell did he do this movie and not Jonah Hex?

WTF is Jonah Hex?

Zing:
Suddenly, manly tears everywhere.

Bob seems so sad.

I see your avatar then that post and then I lol'd.

I'm now apprehensive about this.

Yes, I can see it's good -- but I can also see that it will either destroy, or change, part of my childhood memories.

It's an apprehension similar to how I have Grave of the Fireflies still sitting on my shelf. It sounds like the kind of movie I have to work myself up for.

Bob just HAD to show that clown from "The Brave Little Toaster" didn't he? That haunted my childhood. Ahh well, great review cant wait to see this movie, too bad it comes out in a month or so in England D:

Adamc-mh:

not to be an arse but bridge of terabitha was terible I poited out the ending as a joke at the start and thats what actually happened and the last bit wasn't sad I mean mabye a little sad but not enough to make you cry

Really?

ilovemyLunchbox:

skylog:

But...

It was the part just before that that made me lose it... The spoiler tag below is there for a VERY GOOD REASON, so don't click it if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Oh and I cried at most of those things. ESPECIALLY when I read Bridge to Terabithia. Have you no soul?

Believe me, my eyes were definitely moist during them, particularly with Robin, Raine, and Wall-E, but it wasn't enough to unleash any tears. Only the toys could do it.

I think it was so ingenious that they matched the narrative in tandem with the demographic.

It also means I have a contrived reason to watch the movie without feeling out of place!
Yay!

I can't believe it's been 15 years, i was one when Toy Story was released. o.O PS. My woody doll was the shit

I saw the movie it was really good. The movie theater was packed.

I love Buster the Dog

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or