Science!: Higgs Bosons and Romance

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Science!: Higgs Bosons and Romance

Inside: How to get a Higgs boson to fall for you.

Read Full Article

I've read the first page but something kept on stopping me from going forward, sorry Lauren, gotta get this off my chest before I carry on.

You do know that Peter Higgs the person who theorized the Higgs Boson is an Atheist?, he doesn't like it being called "God Particle", just throwing that out there.

Im so scared for the god particle...ebcause, if it opens a black hole I actually win a bet! But...its actually a bet I want to lose >< I just hope they dont let all that Italian cheese go to there heads!

ColdStorage:
I've read the first page but something kept on stopping me from going forward, sorry Lauren, gotta get this off my chest before I carry on.

You do know that Peter Higgs the person who theorized the Higgs Boson is an Atheist?, he doesn't like it being called "God Particle", just throwing that out there.

It annoys me somewhat too. Its just a particle, and I believe we'll observe it eventually. (particle physics was my favourite part of uni)

Stupid oversensitive atheists.
I am able to rise above it when they claim there isn't a god, the slightest mention of the possibility and they go mental.
Why can't they live and let live?

Whether there be a god or not, the Higgs boson has naught to do with it. Hence why 'the god particle' just seems incorrect as a nickname.

JaneDoe:

ColdStorage:

It annoys me somewhat too. Its just a particle, and I believe we'll observe it eventually. (particle physics was my favourite part of uni)

It annoys me too, mostly because it was used by Creationist in their Wedge propaganda, but also because I had my details put online and had crazy people actually come looking for me while I was relaxing simply because I got into an argument over why it shouldn't be called "God Particle".

My friend in BioInformatics also had his details put online, but for other reasons, animal rights activists actually thought he was torturing animals, was hella funny when I opened his door during a party only to find a stoned out hippy in his garden that shouted "STOP SHAVING MARMOSETS!" at me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioinformatics

Nice to know that:

One step at a time science is proving all of Christianity is bullshit

The master all cure is flawed

Music helps... Hehe not that I need help.

America is fucked because of Britain... AWESOME!

Also Lauren Admire I love your new avatar. Got a good laugh.

Flying Dagger:
Stupid oversensitive atheists.
I am able to rise above it when they claim there isn't a god, the slightest mention of the possibility and they go mental.
Why can't they live and let live?

I'm not i'm Atheist actually, I just don't think it should be called the God Particle, firstly, its a stupid fucking name secondly, it isn't God and it will not bring forth a new coming.

Call it something cool like "The Froglore Particle of Antarctic the Second", just not God.

So...the God Particle is actually several God Particles? So...it's polytheistic? Man, that's incredibly humorous. And go Antoine, getting all those phone numbers!

PayJ567:
Nice two know that:

I have never been able to infect Madagascar.

It's great to have media attention on the amazing physics going on, but the whole 'God particle' thing just puts it in the wrong light, making it seem more important than the observation of the W and Z bosons ect. It has no more to do with any god than the next particle!

Lauren Admire:

PayJ567:
Nice two know that:

Me neither... If anything goes wrong... ever it's where I'm going. One kid I know said he infected Madagascar but we all know he is lying. It's impossible to infect that place.

BehattedWanderer:
So...the God Particle is actually several God Particles? So...it's polytheistic? Man, that's incredibly humorous. And go Antoine, getting all those phone numbers!

Oh fuck I totally missed that!, well done man, you are the more observant person here.

I salute you.

1: Sorry, but every time the particle pantheon expands, i feel like we're just dicking around. Waiting for some genius to give us a simple elegant solution that makes our current model look like Ptolemy's crystal spheres.

2: This will probably be an unfortunate setback for stem-cell research. Douche-bags will stand up and say "look! its to dangerous to meddle with!".

3: Music has always been very important to the emotional state of people. Just watch a movie, the most emotional parts are always the ones with great music going on in the background.

4: The gulf is boned anyways. Not even Kevin Costner can save us. The smokers have won.

Lauren Admire:

PayJ567:
Nice two know that:

I got Madagascar once, because the disease started there, but other than that, fuck that game, Madagascar is a stupid place.

PayJ567:

Lauren Admire:

PayJ567:
Nice two know that:

Me neither... If anything goes wrong... ever it's where I'm going. One kid I know said he infected Madagascar but we all know he is lying. It's impossible to infect that place.

That was me, and I'm not a child. But then again I started out there by luck.

Tinneh:

PayJ567:

Lauren Admire:

PayJ567:
Nice two know that:

You double posted that to try and over compensate for your LIES!!!!

Eh not as good as previous weeks :/

PayJ567:

Tinneh:

PayJ567:

Lauren Admire:

PayJ567:
Nice two know that:

I'm not a liar, you're a liar!

I'm drunk, you don't have an excuse!

Tinneh:

PayJ567:

Tinneh:

PayJ567:

Lauren Admire:

PayJ567:
Nice two know that:

Thankfully I already don't remember this.

PayJ567:

Tinneh:

PayJ567:

Tinneh:

PayJ567:

Lauren Admire:

PayJ567:
Nice two know that:

I forgot what we were arguing about.

Oh well, I guess this means it's a...

STALEMATE: We're both losers!

Tinneh:

PayJ567:

Tinneh:

PayJ567:

Tinneh:

PayJ567:

Lauren Admire:

PayJ567:
Nice two know that:

I forgot what we were arguing about.

Oh well, I guess this means it's a...

STALEMATE: We're both losers!

Sssss-not the best idea to de-rail a staff thread... I'm gunna go sit on that bench.

ColdStorage:

BehattedWanderer:

Oh fuck I totally missed that!, well done man, you are the more observant person here.

I salute you.

*Tips hat*

OOH Here we go.... I like to believe that god doesnt exist, its my favourite type god... no god. . Its just a particle guys yes. Everyone believes in something, no one can say why we are here anyway. there are many ways, concepts, to describe what god is , or is not, or even if he exists at all. I like to ask people what type of god are they thinking when they say, i dont believe. Are they thinking of the biblical god? you know the funny one that burns bushes. are they speaking about an platonic idea of god, a source of everything, like deism or whatever. i mean iam sorry if iam offending anyone and iam no expert in religion but i have read about most of them from lao tze to jesus and in the end its just people searching for truth.. name the particle " the kirby particle". who cares.

Ahhh, and interesting read this week in 'Science!'.
I thought the thing about the stem cells was pretty horrific.
But it's also good to know that random scientific research still continues to suck up funding by researching human behavour (ah, so music is the key, hmmm...) in all it's fine details.
As for the Higgs Bosons... well... I'd say I trust Stephen Hawkings on this one, he says that colisions that will happen in the LHC happen in our atmosphere everyday (technically) and we're fine, but it would be fun if they didn't find what they're looking for. Things are always more intersting when that happens.

LOl The fact that Christains would shit their intestines if the particle was called an Allah particle is ten times funnier. Also, a woman died from trustign unreggulated Thai medicine? NO WAY!!!

The God particle is just called that because it's a Big Deal and it's so mysterious and all. IIRC it's just one guy who came up with the name and wrote a book about it and then the media picked it up... We all know how the media is with interesting-sounding names. It's got nothing to do with Christianity or atheism or anything like that and many scientists think it's a stupid name either way.
More on-topic: Every new discovery brings us one step closer to the truth. We're not there yet (and when we are, we'll just find a new mystery anyway), but the journey is more important than the destination, right?

The stem-cell thing? Eh, from the article it sounds less like an inherent risk of the treatment and more like some Thai doctor screwing things up. Color me unsurprised. Eh, people thinking it's some kind of miracle cure are every bit as retarded as people thinking it's a crime against nature/God/whatever.

Romantic music makes people more romantic? Who'da thunk it?

Oil spill... Eh. I've lost the will to give a damn. Let them suffocate in their oil for all I care.

Jaredin:
Im so scared for the god particle...ebcause, if it opens a black hole I actually win a bet! But...its actually a bet I want to lose >< I just hope they dont let all that Italian cheese go to there heads!

The LHC is in Switzerland, not Italy. And if they prove the particles existance then they will have only confirmed something that has existed since the Universe began.

The first two articles just remind me that no matter how much science we do there's still a lot left to learn. 'Oh hey, if this particle exists our equations are right... but it doesn't so there must be at least five'. 'Oh hey look, a procedure we know and have extensive catalogue has killed someone through means we cannot explain.'

I wonder the effect of video game soundtracks on unsuspecting females. Maybe it'd just make them more likely to jump on my head. Singing to them certainly has that effect for me.

ColdStorage:

Someone should tell him it's short for Godhead Pickle Inspector Particle.

grimsprice:
1: Sorry, but every time the particle pantheon expands, i feel like we're just dicking around. Waiting for some genius to give us a simple elegant solution that makes our current model look like Ptolemy's crystal spheres.

Or maybe the entire universe is simply a constantly-regenerating thought in the mind of God, and so whenever we split something below the level of elementary particles we end up with extra overlapping mass/energy/charge pieces teleported in during the preceding nanosecond from the Yahwessence. So we theorize even smaller particles with even smaller charge fractions when we should just be trying to find the gateways. We are a hologram, God is the solid projector that maintains all strong and weak nuclear forces. Maintained by crossing the streams for eternity.

What, like YOU have a better idea?

2: This will probably be an unfortunate setback for stem-cell research. Douche-bags will stand up and say "look! its to dangerous to meddle with!".

My biology teacher was telling me these exact same horror stories about stem cell research back in 2002. It's precisely because of these Alien Resurrection teratomatic horror stories that pre-differentiated, adult stem cells are the preferred research project and embryonic stem cell research was banned in the USA. Legalizing embryonic stem cell research is as utterly pointless as legalizing abortion.

3: Music has always been very important to the emotional state of people. Just watch a movie, the most emotional parts are always the ones with great music going on in the background.

Or the silences. Music AND silence are the two necessaries.

4: The gulf is boned anyways. Not even Kevin Costner can save us. The smokers have won.

Only more drilling can save us. Seriously.

Or Maybe the religious try to stuff God into every gap in our scientific knowledge. As Morgan Freeman pointed out, they never admit that was wrong when one of those gaps is eventually filled in by a new discovery, they just stuff god into any new holes created when science discovers soemthing new they cannot yet fully explain. No matter how long it takes, those holes are finally filled in with real science, but the nutjobs just keep trying to make God fit into science. If there is a god, he sure doesn't need the morons who shout his name to protect him. Go back to repressing your women and children and leave science alone.

So... That dude then went on to turn down all the women?

Jaredin:

Don't worry. If the create a black hole, it'll be so small and unstable it'll disappear before we realise it's there (And it'd also be awesome, because we'd have discovered how to completely convert mass into energy)
Even if the black hole did gain stability, it'd just drop to the middle of the earth and not gain enough mass to destroy it for at least 100,000 years. So you wouldn't ever know, though your great great... great great grandchildren will be PISSED.

My goodness, this is fascinating news. I'm very interested in particle physics, and will be pleased to see how it all works out.

*Puts on Je l'aime mourir.*

Hello ladies.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook