E3 2010: Kirby’s Epic Yarn Hands On

E3 2010: Kirby's Epic Yarn Hands On

A bit of string and a lot of cloth add up to one amazing game.

Read Full Article

As always! fun cuteness in the size of a purple ball thing! Gotta love Kirby for all his entertainment...I do like how this one is looking though and will be keeping an eye on it, maube rent it

Looks amazing! Quick question, though, is this a full game, or just wii-ware?

It's a full game.

I enjoyed Kirby Canvas Curse though, so I had far from given up on the little pink ball of joy.

It doesn't look terrible, but I get the feeling that this really should have been a new IP altogether.

I feel the opposite I guess. I never lost hope in Kirby all these years but this game just...it doesn't look like a kirby game. It looks more like an indie game. You could replace the kirby aesthetics with anything else (maybe an Indiana Jones style adventurer?) and you'd get the same game. The whole lasso and shape shifting thing pretty much undermines the evolution of the series all these years. It should have been a new IP or something.

And before anyone gives the "They're just trying something new" argument, Kirby games almost always try something, if not several things, new each game but they still retain at least one of the core mechanics that you'll pretty much only find in Kirby if not all of them.

I have never played a bad Kirby game.

They are all fantastic platformers, and just a complete joy to play.

First crayon now yarn? Kirby's all about new Mediums.

Though I'm more partial to his Super Star game, not sure about changing it up so much.

If anything Kirby is the perfect character when it comes to adaptation. The ability for kirby to change and adapt makes him the perfect complexity in simplicity character. That's why I love that pink puffball.

No picture for this one? Also, if there is a "Yarn" Aesthetic, I'm getting a serious flashback to Media Molecule's Little Big Planet. Coincidence? Perhaps. But I do miss the Kirby that wasn't made of yarn... from what it sounds like, I have to agree that this would be better suited to a new IP: Something that Nintendo desperately needs if the currency fluctuations are giving them issues.

The "throw your friends around" thing sounds a bit like Zelda: Four Swords, which I thought was a blast.

Confirm/deny?

The Kirby games have never been that difficult. It has always been more about the adventure and the creativity behind it. That's not to say that the games are bad, though. If nothing else, they are fun as hell and this one looks to be a promising successor.

steve butts:
You should be forgiven if, like me, you'd given up on Kirby. After years of no news, and sometimes outright denials of its existence, Kirby's Epic Yarn finally makes all the years of confusion and conjecture worthwhile.

I'd like to mention that the first entertainment company to realize that 'all good things must come to an end,' ideally that point being at a time when your franchise is still fairly popular and certainly well before people start brandishing torches and pitchforks and marching toward your studio in a large angry hate mob, would become my new 'Best Company Ever.' Actually, it would become my first 'Best Company Ever.' Just putting that out there.

canadamus_prime:

steve butts:
You should be forgiven if, like me, you'd given up on Kirby. After years of no news, and sometimes outright denials of its existence, Kirby's Epic Yarn finally makes all the years of confusion and conjecture worthwhile.

I'd like to mention that the first entertainment company to realize that 'all good things must come to an end,' ideally that point being at a time when your franchise is still fairly popular and certainly well before people start brandishing torches and pitchforks and marching toward your studio in a large angry hate mob, would become my new 'Best Company Ever.' Actually, it would become my first 'Best Company Ever.' Just putting that out there.

Sadly, however, everyone would love them in theory, and ignore their awesome new IP in favor of the latest Call of Duty series.

The people asking about the aesthetic, did you not look at the readily available pictures on the internet? It definitely still looks like Kirby, and he's not like sackboy. Everything is drawn in outlines made of yarn. It looks really good, it looks really kirby, and with him lassoing and then throwing enemies its essentially exactly the same as when he inhaled people. Once you see the screenshots you'll see why it would be literally impossible for him to inhale people in this form anyway.

Korias:
No picture for this one? Also, if there is a "Yarn" Aesthetic, I'm getting a serious flashback to Media Molecule's Little Big Planet. Coincidence? Perhaps. But I do miss the Kirby that wasn't made of yarn... from what it sounds like, I have to agree that this would be better suited to a new IP: Something that Nintendo desperately needs if the currency fluctuations are giving them issues.

New IPs are risky, even coming out of Nintendo. If they could tailor this concept for an existing character then why shouldn't they? This doesn't fly in the face of what Nintendo has done with Kirby, or their other franchises for that matter. Epic Yarn looks right at home within the Kirby universe.

Supposedly the TV ads for the first Kirby games used that style in Japan.

Sounds like paper mario. OH GOD best idea ever. Kirby RPG!!!

ArmorArmadillo:

canadamus_prime:

steve butts:

Sadly, however, everyone would love them in theory, and ignore their awesome new IP in favor of the latest Call of Duty series.

Yes... which is why we will continue to see franchises extended far beyond 'undead' status.

Greg Tito: "All right new guy, your going to the Nintendo booth, me and Susan are gonna check out MGS Rising"

I kid I kid, Nintendo had a good showing (pilotwings, whoopwhoop) seems to have nailed the co op to progress or co op to just mess with the other player, I know your meant to play together but the pull of chucking your team mate about is to great.

yay kirby, always fun, or at least entertaining. seems it'll stick true to that paradigm ;)
also, sorry for my nerdyness, but "epic yarn" is something i think i'd find in a hardcore knitting group, or maybe some WoW crafting item xD

Ok acting fanboy-ish in 3....2....1

SQUEEEAAALLL! A new Kirby game! Alright!...

Ok now that's out of my system, I can't wait until I get my hands on this game.

SirPumpkinLongshanks:

Korias:

New IPs are risky, even coming out of Nintendo. If they could tailor this concept for an existing character then why shouldn't they? This doesn't fly in the face of what Nintendo has done with Kirby, or their other franchises for that matter. Epic Yarn looks right at home within the Kirby universe.

I'm not too inclined to agree. Every Kirby game in the past never messed with what Kirby was made out of (Concentrated Happiness and Gluttony), and now he's made out of... yarn. And that doesn't seem odd to you at all? Perhaps I'm just jaded in the "Oh for crying out loud must everything be a sequel?" mentality, but I do want to see new things. If you do Kirby, do Kirby. It's like how 3D Dot Heroes is basically Legend of Zelda, except worse.

The idea that you should tailor a concept for an existing character is that you're actively moving the franchise in one direction, which can end in a large outcry and possibly result in WORSE sales. Take, for example, the outcry over Windwaker's Cel Shaded graphics, or XCOM's shift into real time. While one worked and the other did not, I don't want to see my favorite puffball turn into a ball of yarn to be nommed on by a kitten. I want to see Kirby nomming the kitten instead, since that's what the all consuming thing does.

Being a Kirby fan...
HELLS YES!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or