Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.

Watch Video

That'll show a man who has lost the ability to speak. Why the hell did Yahtzee wait this long to take a dig at Ebert anyway?

Thanks to old Henry 8th (and other's) philandering, I'm pretty sure everyone from England has some claim to the thrown by now.

Oh yeah and it was pretty good review as well.

The Prince of Persia film wasn't all that bad actually.

It's too bad to hear the The Forgotten Sands isn't as good as Sands of Time, but I can't say I'm really surprised. At least the gameplay sounds like it is still nearly as fun.

Nice shot at Ebert at the end there.

Didn't laugh too much this time, but still a few chuckles.

Didn't know Yahtzee hated films. (I saw the movie last Sunday, it was meh)

I wasn't even aware there was another Prince of Persia game.

I was actually hoping to hear yahtzee's opinion on the film. Shame he refuses to watch it.

Platforming in games has gotten "stickier" as graphics have improved-- even games like Uncharted 2 have that sort of weird stickiness. Idk. Still, looks fun.

I haven't watched the Prince of Persia movie yet, but as usual, another great ZP episode, not as many lols as I expected =)

Mario Galaxy 2 is just more Mario Galaxy. It's not really worth reviewing

If he's 50,000,000th in line for the throne, I would gladly kill the 49,999,999 ahead of him in order to have an awesome king

The film wasn't that bad. It wasn't great or anything, but whatever.

Looks like we wont be getting an E3 p*ss-on for a while. Id enjoy someone telling me how the 3DS will be balls for a nice change of pace.

i thought the PoP movie was actually quite good. Not amazing but not bad. I do agree with yahtzee on the game though, it does feel like a very shallow cash in without any soul of its own.

Apparently ragging on Roger Ebert hasn't gotten old yet. I'm surprised.

I'm glad Ubisoft is trying to fix what was broken instead of just trundling along its merry way, but they're still missing something. This, unlike the first bit, doesn't surprise me.

Wooo I'm 49,999,999th in line for the throne. At least when I rule the world I'll know my successor will do a good job.

Am I the only one who thought it funny that yatzee is making a short film about a game cashing in on a film about a game? And then talking about how much he hates films? Well, maybe.

Either way, this pretty much confirms my suspicions, as much as I take anything yatzee says in terms of critical appraisal in seriousness (cf amusement)

entertaining this week. i really enjoyed the forgotten sands.

also, where the hell is my 3rd annual e3 hype massacre? the first two E3 videos are my favorite ones in the series.

Volucer:
Wooo I'm 49,999,999th in line for the throne. At least when I rule the world I'll know my successor will do a good job.

V4L3R4:
If he's 50,000,000th in line for the throne, I would gladly kill the 49,999,999 ahead of him in order to have an awesome king

I have bad news...

Good video... and yet.

I can't believe you didn't talk about his head that look like 3 size to big for his facial features. Like if they made the character but forgot to put the face on.

The game just felt unfinished to me. There was no level select, no hard mode, no subtitles, no real ending, and nothing to do after you beat the game except the Enemy Tides Challenge, which lengthens gameplay by around 5 minutes.

It does raise the question: Should the Sands of Time saga be continued, or should the cel-shaded 2008 series be continued, because in my book, the 2008 game and Forgotten Sands are both pretty so-so.

i just finished two thrones, so im picking this one up tomorrow.hope its good!

I think Prince of Persia seems to get a free ride from Yahtzee. He points out faults and all but he always seems to be nicer to the franchise just because it has that whole platforming element.

O_o wasn't aware that he hated movies so much. Or to be fair. This movie. This much.

In any case. For the record. Releasing a race of evil monsters will never, EVER save the day -_-

Was that a PotA reference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyYY96wcj50&feature=related Dr Zaius anyone?

A Planet of the Apes reference, Mr. Yahtzee? I love it.

Well, that didn't sound too well, but hey, every since the very first PoP I bought every PoP game out there, so hell, this one can jump in for the ride. Nice review as always, and the part about the incredibly cliché bull thing made me laugh quite hard XD

Another excellent review, although I felt he was a bit harsh on a film which is probably the most watchable video game movie ever made.

Also, Persians are not Arabs. They get a bit testy about that, like Scotsmen being mistaken for Irishmen by patronising Americans who then witter on about how they are "Irish too".

I kinda thought he gave a pass on this game. Nice that he did it though although I'm kinda surprised he didn't see the movie out of at least morbid curosity. maybe he won't do an E3 kill this year. Which is fine last two times he just kinda flamed them without really regarding anything they did.

I wonder what his reaction will be if Lego does the Prince of Persia game, which is a game based on a toy line, based on a movie, based on game. (I hope it happens the Lego games are a lot of fun)

The main problem with this is the fact that they forgot that this is an "interquel" (stupid word) when it came to the prince's character development.

If you haven't play SoT then spoilers-ahoy.

After the first, the Prince is forced to leave behind the woman he loves BECAUSE SHE CAN'T REMEMBER HIM.

Now I imagine that not getting the one you love is a bit of a pain, but if she can't even remember who you are (something which was handled with surgical-poignancy in SoT) then you're going to be a little bit troubled and down.

So why, oh why, is there only ONE very FLIPPANT reference to Farah in this game? Something about being bossed about by women. HE LOVES HER FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

Also, the Prince is exactly how he was about half-way through SoT at the height of his sarcasm - before all that love stuff came in to play. They've basically retconned character development.

Spoilers for TFS now.

In SoT, the Prince's father was turned into a sand-monster, something which makes the Prince hideously distraught. He has to force himself to believe that it was not in fact his father.

In TFS, his brother is turned into a demon that he must then slay. The Prince is sort of against having to kill him, but not really too bothered.

There's just no emotional weight at all - it's not bad in terms of mechanics, but there's no real soul to it.

Also, the Prince still has Farah's medallion after SoT, so why doesn't he use that in TFS instead of having to be given the power by the genie?

I am just saying that the film is Prince of Persia in name alone. There really isn't more to it than that and it stole a basic item from a game that is still fully copyrighted. It isn't like Hollywood doesn't steal interesting pieces from one medium and attempt to make movies around it anyways.

I guess Prince of Persia never really will return to its glory days...

In all fairness, the kazoo can be a surprisingly persuasive instrument in the right context.

Srs.

MaraJade03:
I wonder what his reaction will be if Lego does the Prince of Persia game

Lego Prince of Persia?

I could see that working.

Hmmmm. I have that issue of FHM.

Good job ragging on a game for 5 mins, and then knocking Roger Ebert for ragging on games!

Decabo:

It does raise the question: Should the Sands of Time saga be continued, or should the cel-shaded 2008 series be continued, because in my book, the 2008 game and Forgotten Sands are both pretty so-so.

I think the whole Sands of Time thing has been run into the ground, which is sad because I really loved the first one. I think the new one was just plain a bad game, so that's a really hard decision. I say Ubisoft does neither and finishes Beyond Good & Evil 2 already...

Wow, so he didn't completely hate it after all. I'm stunned.

I didn't get to play the game myself, but from all the trailers the movements did seem too slow; so I'm glad Yahtzee mentioned that since I was starting to think I was the only one who thought the acrobatics were too slow-motion-ish.

Diligent:
I say Ubisoft does neither and finishes Beyond Good & Evil 2 already...

Amen to that. Feels like ages since they released that teaser...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here