Anime Review: Dragon Ball Z Kai

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The best anime ever is now even better, and if you can't enjoy it, you have no soul. Say it with me, now: Ka-me-ha-me HA!

Read Full Article

Ka-me-ha-me-ha!!!
I'm watching it on Nicktoons and even with some edits...I'm loving it.

I was tarting to enjoy it but they took out whole episodes. Good ones too. Like when Vegita and the big bald guy stop at the bug planet on their way to earth, save the population from an iron fisted ruler, than destroy the entire planet. I love that episode.

Or the one where the original fighters get sent into that holodeck thing that replicated the last day of the sayan planet and have a fake fight to the death.

It was like one episode Piccolo dumps Gohan in the wilderness and in the next Goku reaches King Kai's.
Love the show, hate the butcher job.
Toonami rocked and gave the show a much better theme song.

This one was good too:

GonzoGamer:
I was tarting to enjoy it but they took out whole episodes. Good ones too. Like when Vegita and the big bald guy stop at the bug planet on their way to earth, save the population from an iron fisted ruler, than destroy the entire planet. I love that episode.

Or the one where the original fighters get sent into that holodeck thing that replicated the last day of the sayan planet and have a fake fight to the death.

It was like one episode Piccolo dumps Gohan in the wilderness and in the next Goku reaches King Kai's.

That's much closer to the pacing of the manga. Goku starts on Snake Way on one page and is training with Kai on (almost) the next.

Nice review, I have yet to watch Dragonball Kai but plan on doing it when its all been released. Only last year I went through and watched all of Dragonball to the end of Dragonball GT and loved it :)

I bought it on blu ray, and definitely loved the newly inserted scenes, especially quality wise. I'm more excited for the later episodes though, hopefully they come soon.

TheGreenManalishi:

GonzoGamer:

That's much closer to the pacing of the manga. Goku starts on Snake Way on one page and is training with Kai on (almost) the next.

Yea but I can't work out while reading the comic.
And the music on toonami is so much better; please see my earlier edited post.

GonzoGamer:

Those episodes never happened in the Manga: They were put in to stall for time while the manga worked ahead because they are released slower than anime.

This actually sounds cool. I haven't watched DBZ in a while. After I watched the original Dragon Ball, DBZ just didn't compare. Maybe with this refined version I'll give it a shot.

Edzor:
I hate Dragon Ballz and I do not enjoy the puerile, absurdly-theatrical-violence-imbibed entertainment that is Anime.

There are some examples of anime out there that aren't absurd and overly violent, and are in fact better than any hollywood motion picture of the same type. *points at Death Note*

OT: Wasn't it Dragon Ball Kai, without the Z?

Huh, sounds interesting. Seems like it'll be a nice romp down memory lane, minus the fillers.

I'll be sure to check this out.

Although now thanks to Dragon Ball Z abridged I'll never be able to watch it with a straight face, but eh, whatever.

The best anime ever?

Don't get ahead of yourself.

But a really good series? HELL YES.

I kinda dropped Dragonball once I started getting into One Piece but might pick it up again.

I take it this is remaking the old series yeah?

Best ever? I don't know... Digimon Tamers is pretty damn sweet, and so's Death Note. But then again...

Calumon: Cha-la Head Cha-la!

Thank GOD. The original series was in dire need of editing.
Still not as brief and entertaining as "DBZ: Abridged," of course.

I've been hoping that they would trim this show down for years. I'm very happy to hear that it has been done and I look forward to checking this out. I loved the manga but the show and its 20 minutes worth of grunting, staring and recycled fight scenes got a little old. I mean that fight with Freiza lasted what? 20 something episodes?

Well I haven't watched DBZ in a while so I'll buy it to also see the improvements they did.

I loved the original series, so, ill be looking into this for sure! Looks like not lost any charm!

Jon Etheridge:
I've been hoping that they would trim this show down for years. I'm very happy to hear that it has been done and I look forward to checking this out. I loved the manga but the show and its 20 minutes worth of grunting, staring and recycled fight scenes got a little old. I mean that fight with Freiza lasted what? 20 something episodes?

The Freiza fight didn't last long compared to Cell vs Gohan. The energy duel at the very end alone took quite a few episodes.

DBZ running on Nick? WTF? Did I wake up in some sort of freaky alternate reality?

demoman_chaos:

Jon Etheridge:

The Freiza fight didn't last long compared to Cell vs Gohan. The energy duel at the very end alone took quite a few episodes.

Pretty sure Frieza was the longest single fight in the series. And that the Kamehameha duel was like... two episodes at the ABSOLUTE most.

Norman Rafferty:

The best anime ever is now even better, and if you can't enjoy it, you have no soul. Say it with me, now: Ka-me-ha-me HA!

Read Full Article

Heh. Saw the name and KNEW that had to be you. -:D

I loved it before I even read the review :D

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy this iteration of the show. Yes, I said "iteration". This is the THIRD TIME this show has been redubbed and washed over with music that makes me think I'm watching a parody. There's no gravitas to this thing, it's a bunch of overly-optimistic material that smacks of "child's play". The sound effects are a joke; they lack any depth or power or creativity, coming off as stock fantasy audio. And while this third cycle of voice acting is better than the second redub, it's still leagues below the original Ocean dub. I don't care if they had to edit out profanities and vitriol remarks and words like "death" and "kill", the last two batches of voice actors were beyond awful.

Brian Drummond FTW.

Nimbus:

GonzoGamer:

Those episodes never happened in the Manga: They were put in to stall for time while the manga worked ahead because they are released slower than anime.

I know. I would probably even know if I never read the manga; much of that stretch time is pretty contrived. However some of it was really sick too.
I'll admit, I didn't miss Goku's trip to Hell... or HFIL.

Edzor:
I hate Dragon Ballz and I do not enjoy the puerile, absurdly-theatrical-violence-imbibed entertainment that is Anime.

Thanks for the update. This thread was completely lacking without your useful input.

Im enjoying it so far.

Iv noticed some things missing but, i love that they took out some of the censors like the Violence.

And i cant get the Theme song out of my head...

So im enjoying it.
And inst that all that really matters?

Now if you excuse me.
*GREAHHHHHHH*

SUPER KAMEHAMEHA!!!

So basically, what all of my friends were saying is true: Kai is better because it's closer to the Manga.

That seems to be a theme with manga-to-anime translations.

Awwwwww... now one of my favorite jokes wont have nearly the effect:

Previously on Dragon Ball Z "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Next time on Dragon Ball Z "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

I still own all of DB/Z/GT on dvd and nothing will stop me from loving the originals, filler and all.

Does Kai go all the way to the Buu saga or stop at Cell?

i'm disgusted by what they've done to one of the best meme's of all time, over 9000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBMbD_bWgU&feature=related

what the hell, over 8000?

Heh, such nostalgia. I'm sure that Dragon Ball was the first real introduction to anime for millions of people. I think I still have some of the original Dragon Ball comics somewhere, in French because I couldn't find them in Dutch, and my English wasn't very good back then. :P

I personally wouldn't say that it's the 'best ever', but it's certainly one of the most influential ever, and not just inside its own genre.

It also inspired one of the funniest parodies ever, Buttlord GT.

chozo_hybrid:
I still own all of DB/Z/GT on dvd and nothing will stop me from loving the originals, filler and all.

Does Kai go all the way to the Buu saga or stop at Cell?

They just started releasing it, so only the Saiyan Saga is out thus far.

Edit: So... yowza. Just got done watching a couple episodes that were uploaded to YouTube, and damn. Shoddy voice acting, and music that tries too hard. That's DBZ Kai in one sentence. Mind that the music doesn't seem bad, just that it's overbearing to the point of feeling generic, and the voice acting doesn't hold a candle to the original dub.

It's like they decided that they didn't want to trump the original release, so rather than making DBZ Kai strictly better than the first one, they made it into a trade-off. Do you deal with extra filler, or do you deal with terrible sound quality? Frankly, you can always skip past filler, but the best you can do for Kai is mute it and pretend you're listening to the original, so my money's gonna be on the one that's easier to over-come the downside.

Jon Etheridge:

In all of anime-dom, it was an epic moment when Piccolo led the angry Buu on a long route to the Hyberbolic Time Chamber because he was stalling. A Dragon Ball episode where the characters were stalling for time. :D

I realize some folks will miss the side plots, because inevitably some good bits are getting cut ... but I don't need three episodes of monkey chasing.

PS Apocalypse Lane is awesome, keep up the good work.

I'll watch it! :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or