Rebecca Mayes Muses: Love Song for Yahtzee

Pages PREV 1 . . . 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 NEXT

Ba5:

THOUGHT EXPERIMENT:

Imagine if Yahtzee was a woman and the singer a man. Her videogame review videos would be as entertaining as ever, exactly the same, except with a female UK accent. His music video would be exactly the same, but with a male voice and singer near the end. Would everyone still like the song as much? Or laugh at him threatening to stab her with a screwdriver? Would that be funny? Or just stupid and creepy?

Or is it okay to post bad music because the singer has a vagina?

Unfortunately the internet splits into two camps:

1) Girls who want to idolise every female contributor online in the mistaken assumption that women are outnumbered online when in fact that's bullshit.

2) Guys who want to white knight every girl they see in the mistaken assumption that girls are too weak to stand up for themselves or bear the same level of criticism that men would endure in a similar position.

Since when is Yahtzee misogynistic? Words aren't just random noises, they have a meaning and misogyny happens to mean:

mi·sog·y·ny (mĭ-sŏj'ə-nē)
n. Hatred of women.

[Greek mīsoguniā : mīso- , miso- + gunē , woman ; see -gyny .]
mis'o·gyn'ic (mĭs'ə-jĭn'ĭk, -gī'nĭk) adj.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Where has Yahtzee shown hatred of women exclusively? Yes he's made comments against females, but he's made comments against males too. He's a misanthrope. Misanthropy:

mis·an·thro·py (mĭs-ān'thrə-pē, mĭz-)
n. Hatred or mistrust of humankind.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

A lot of people seem to see a man make a hateful comment to a woman (or many women) and go "Aha! Misogynist!" This is invalid if the man hates men too. However, then Muse wouldn't have been able to do that raging feminist line and dullards on this forum (yes, I'm aware of the hipocrisy) seemed to love that. Again, feminism has a meaning and it isn't just "a vague feeling of indignation about gender related comments/issues".

That said, I liked the tune.

Wow...that was fantastic, I'm going to get that song.

Well, very original:
Criticizing Ben "Yathzee" Croshaw by making a video ZP-style...
We sure haven't seen that before!
BTW: Lousy guitar solo

Calibanbutcher:
Well, very original:

I'm pretty sure I'm catching your sarcasm. At least I hope I am, because I've seen plenty of ZP-style videos out there (the Pure Pwnage one was fun)

Anyway I enjoyed this song a little more than most of them; I didn't really see the whole 'love/hate' thing people keep mentioning (I'm pretty sure it was just thinly-veiled animosity through and through).

It's not the "Captain Lou" song... but it was well worth listening to!

i second that!

Father Time:

Giandroid:
I find myself grinding my teeth every time he casts his ire at the finer sex. I know he does it ironically, as his EP post about Wet clearly states,

Uh no. Read it again. He even bashed the 'it's ironic' excuse.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/6662-Extra-Punctuation-Wet

This conversation is still going on?

Urgh. Well, I must apologize, as I, like most of the Internet, used the word "ironically" incorrectly. So does Rebecca, so does Yahtzee, we all make that mistake at least once. What I'm saying is, I know he doesn't MEAN to be a misogynistic prick, I know that he just does it for laughs but isn't really a macho douchebag, but he still DOES it nonetheless. Sarcastically sexist is still sexist.

So, yeah.

I meant "sarcastic," not "ironic." There's a difference. Now, I'm going to go away now. Luck and love to Rebecca Mayes. You did a great job and should be proud. I'm proud of you, if that means anything!

That would be a pretty tough match, really. I could peg Yahtzee as a bit of an INTJ/INTP - you know, somewhat introverted, less-emotional, thinker type. It'd be a pretty rocky relationship for someone who's more outgoing and expecting a lot of emotional back and forth. Like Mary Tyler More hooking up with Chevy Chase. One would have to compromise their values a bit to stand the other.

ColdStorage:

GameGoddess101:

Some of the animation could have been better,

Wild guess here, but i'm thinking copyright issues with a straight rip of Yahtzee's models.

I shall be buying Epic Win, Rebecca reminds me of Imogen Heap, and I loves me some Imogen Heap so by proxy I love Rebecca.

Rebecca(this is my first of her videos) reminded me more of the Poe album, Haunted.

I couldn't make it through the song. It was cringe-inducingly awful.

Huh, I actually don't know what to say, other than I'm curious to what Yahtzee's reaction was....which was a repost to the video...curious to see any other reaction >.>

its odd for me to like a song like this cuz im a major metal fam but i freakin loved it go Rebecca :D

A lot of people reference him, true story. However I get very defensive because LRR were famous in their own right before they even started working or the Escapist. And Doomsday Arcade just pwnt.

Hmm i wonder wat his reaction is like?

zHellas:

ColdStorage:

GameGoddess101:

Wild guess here, but i'm thinking copyright issues with a straight rip of Yahtzee's models.

I shall be buying Epic Win, Rebecca reminds me of Imogen Heap, and I loves me some Imogen Heap so by proxy I love Rebecca.

Rebecca(this is my first of her videos) reminded me more of the Poe album, Haunted.

Your disagreeing with my opinion?, HOW DARE YOU! there's only one thing to do, battle to the death!.

EN GUARD!

BGH122:

1) Girls who want to idolise every female contributor online in the mistaken assumption that women are outnumbered online when in fact that's bullshit.

What? your using a harsh word such as "bullshit" and using Cracked to back up your point?.

Just because that reporter came across 20 other girls and wrote about it doesn't mean its actually peer reviewed empirical data or evidence, its just a girl writing about the time she met other girls online. I could write an article about the girls I met in real life in one bar and how they acted, wouldn't mean thats a blanket statement to how all women act, its just one place.

BGH122:

2) Guys who want to white knight every girl they see in the mistaken assumption that girls are too weak to stand up for themselves or bear the same level of criticism that men would endure in a similar position.

I don't know how to reply to this comment, I'll be honest.

Are you saying its better to be a bastard to women?

I LOVE THIS SONG AND ALL OF HER SONGS :D

ColdStorage:

zHellas:

ColdStorage:

GameGoddess101:

Your disagreeing with my opinion?, HOW DARE YOU! there's only one thing to do, battle to the death!.

EN GUARD!

Eep! *throws a Teddy Bear at you and runs away*

NickIsCool:
awesome song as always

i loved all the references to ZP

whats with the screwdriver at the end though?

i guess love is a crazy thing, isnt it :D

A bit late in commenting, but if nobody has said it, that's an Ice Pick (not a screwdriver) I believe. It's a referance to "Basic Instict" whic is the movie that put Sharon Stone on the map as a kinky bi-sexual seriel killer, her weapon of choice was an ice pick. I believe it's also been used to kill men while they were sleeping by women IRL more than just about anything which is why they used it for the movie (back when it was coming out I recall some referances to this).

ColdStorage:

BGH122:

What? your using a harsh word such as "bullshit" and using Cracked to back up your point?.

Just because that reporter came across 20 other girls and wrote about it doesn't mean its actually peer reviewed empirical data or evidence, its just a girl writing about the time she met other girls online. I could write an article about the girls I met in real life in one bar and how they acted, wouldn't mean thats a blanket statement to how all women act, its just one place.

BGH122:

On the former point all I can say is that pretty much every girl/woman I know is online to some extent, this includes my Grandmother. All jokes aside, The Internet has become a tool and it's used by pretty much everyone. It would be a more fair statement to say that girls continue to be rare in subcultures where they always have been... like nerd/fandom hang outs. Not non-existant, but substantially outnumbered.

As far as the conclusions that might be related to that, well that's been re-treaded so many times where it's probably not worth the arguement.

When it comes to girls and being stood up for, all I can say is that it's hard to respond to because he's right. Simply put while there are plenty of girls who enjoy being protected, many don't like that instinct because they want to be able to succeed and stand on their own two feet. Largely because of the implication in many cases that girls only get into certain positions or are toleranted doing some things BECAUSE they are girls and due to various laws and such, leading to the "I need to do it on my own" type mentality. Not to mention the fact that it seems a lot of girls seem to think that men seem to think that stepping up for them gives them some kind of entitlement. That's not true, but there seems to be some discomfort based on the Hollywood stereotype of say a guy helping to deal with another guy in a bar, and then the girl going home with them. A lot of girls fear men expecting some kind of obligation even if it doesn't go that far.

Such are my experiences at least, like anything results can vary. I mean some girls absolutly love being fawned over and taken care of as well.

Calbeck:
Wow...SEVENTEEN PAGES of mostly people flipping out on Yahtzee's behalf. Guess the song did its job! -:D

Well, I think the issue is mostly that Rebecca was supposed to be doing a love song, not specifically to share her opinion on Yahtzee (which she has given). I guess there might be some implications of a conflicted love/hate relationship, but mostly it seems to be Anti-Yahtzee, which is what I would expect given Rebecca's general tone and other messages in her music.

I guess the point is that it wasn't what people were expecting to hear.

To some extent I would have been a little more impressed had Rebecca produced what was being implied, given that it would show she can write/perform what she doesn't feel as long as express a specific opinion.

As far as people white-knighting her goes (the other type of comments expressed here), I don't think that's a big issue. She's been here for a while, and has her genuine fans. She is also quite consistant in what she does. Tastes vary, but when you consider her folk-type style which isn't for everyone, her talent is undeniable which is one of the reasons why she has a site like this hosting her as a regular feature to begin with.

As I said, a bit point of the "problem "is all the venom thrown back at Yahtzee (but he's a big boy, he can take it), which is at odds to with what was advertised. As I said perhaps there was meant to be more of an implication of love/hate confusion, but I don't think that came through, and the ending was... well... it spoke for itself.

Therumancer:

ColdStorage:

BGH122:

BGH122:

On the former point all I can say is that pretty much every girl/woman I know is online to some extent, this includes my Grandmother. All jokes aside, The Internet has become a tool and it's used by pretty much everyone. It would be a more fair statement to say that girls continue to be rare in subcultures where they always have been... like nerd/fandom hang outs. Not non-existant, but substantially outnumbered.

I completly agree with the field spread on the internet, after all doesn't the population balance out at 50% male 50% female at most times (I hear in 2003 it spiked at 52% female), I strongly disagree with anyone saying "you are wrong and everyone knows your comment is bullshit also here is an article on some site written by some random internet person to back up my statement"

The facts aren't in question, I just find it hard to stomach that some people are actually taking articles from Cracked as gospel when its just a joke article made by one person, some are are factual but that one?, its just the experience of one person on one forum, thats not actual data ITS JUST WORDS PEOPLE!.

Therumancer:

That's not true, but there seems to be some discomfort based on the Hollywood stereotype of say a guy helping to deal with another guy in a bar, and then the girl going home with them. A lot of girls fear men expecting some kind of obligation even if it doesn't go that far.

Such are my experiences at least, like anything results can vary. I mean some girls absolutly love being fawned over and taken care of as well.

I'm nice to people without obligation, I don't hold open doors for little old ladies because I want to sleep with them.

Although Apple Pie made by said little old lady wouldn't go amiss.

Amazing song. I like it.

Sadly I started searching thie Replythread for a reply from Yahtzee himself. When I realize he might not reply to Rebecca in public if he take this serious, which I doubt he does.
Anyway there may be coming some comment after the next ZP.

ColdStorage:

Therumancer:

That's not true, but there seems to be some discomfort based on the Hollywood stereotype of say a guy helping to deal with another guy in a bar, and then the girl going home with them. A lot of girls fear men expecting some kind of obligation even if it doesn't go that far.

I'm nice to people without obligation, I don't hold open doors for little old ladies because I want to sleep with them.

Although Apple Pie made by said little old lady wouldn't go amiss.

An ulterior motive is an ulterior motive. >:)

All kidding aside, the point is that while it's not true, society has given that perception and I think it influances how a lot of girls behave. Hence my comments about the "Hollywood Stereotype".

I mean how many times in a movie have you see a think where some obnoxious dude in a bar is harassing some girl, and joe-hero walks up, gets rid of him, and then him and the girl hit it off. A lot of girls tend to think that if a guy helps them out they are trying to insert themselves into the joe-hero role, even if they are just trying to be helpful.

This is the first time I've posted on an Escapist forum, and I have not read the thread, but given that there are over 600 posts so far, I guess I can safely throw my opinion out there.

Yahtzee has all but ignored this video. My hat is off to him for that. Given that Mays advetised on Yahtzee's slot prior to this video, he has shown himself to be the better man. More professional, I'm saying.

Personally, if this video was about me, I would feel threatened. It is very scary and disturbing. I take May's meaning, about Yahtzee's jokes being misogynistic and homophobic, but I wonder where that makes it okay to threaten a man with (what looks like) a screwdriver? Also, the song doesn't seem to recognise that "Yahtzee" is a character created by Ben Crowshaw, surely informed by the man, but not wholey representetive of him.

And finaly, I would like to say that I visit the Escapist to see Yahtzee's videos. I also like to watch ENN and Unskippable, and I have on occassion watched Rebecca Mays Muses, but never again. May's is not my kettle of fish. She has shown herself to be quite a bit more extreme than I am comfortable with.

Just my $0.02

I like Rebecca's songs and videos. They provide some nice light entertainment when I get home from work on a Friday evening. They are fun.

I am completely amazed at the level (and in some cases depth) of debate this song has caused. Almost 700 posts! Such strong opinions and feelings expressed on the forum!

I feel that this says something about people - or at least, people who read the Escapist - but I'm not sure what it says.

Fascinating all the same.

Giandroid:

Father Time:

Giandroid:
I find myself grinding my teeth every time he casts his ire at the finer sex. I know he does it ironically, as his EP post about Wet clearly states,

Uh no. Read it again. He even bashed the 'it's ironic' excuse.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/6662-Extra-Punctuation-Wet

This conversation is still going on?

Well Yahtzee put this song at the end of his latest video so it's been picked up again.

Giandroid:

Sarcastically sexist is still sexist.

I disagree somewhat.

Can't wait to see how Yahtzee responds to this.

I've watched every single one of Yahtzee's reviews and I have no idea why anyone would call him misogynistic. He frequently bashes games that use women as jiggly breasted centerpieces instead of as characters. Also, don't think that every woman is out to defend members of the female gaming population. I'm a woman and I watch every Yahtzee and Unskippable video, but the only reason I sat through this Rebecca Mayes song was because it was about Yahtzee. I can see calling him sophomoric or negative, but save the misogynistic label for people who really deserve it.

NO!!! Damn you Yahtzee!!! You always get the women!!! Rebecca was supposed to be mine!

Therumancer:

(many good points, clipped for brevity)

As I said, a bit point of the "problem "is all the venom thrown back at Yahtzee (but he's a big boy, he can take it), which is at odds to with what was advertised. As I said perhaps there was meant to be more of an implication of love/hate confusion, but I don't think that came through, and the ending was... well... it spoke for itself.

Agreed on all points.

Therumancer:
[quote="Calbeck" post="6.204489.6924200"]Wow...SEVENTEEN PAGES of mostly people flipping out on Yahtzee's behalf. Guess the song did its job! -:D

Well, I think the issue is mostly that Rebecca was supposed to be doing a love song, not specifically to share her opinion on Yahtzee (which she has given). I guess there might be some implications of a conflicted love/hate relationship, but mostly it seems to be Anti-Yahtzee, which is what I would expect given Rebecca's general tone and other messages in her music.

I guess the point is that it wasn't what people were expecting to hear.

To some extent I would have been a little more impressed had Rebecca produced what was being implied, given that it would show she can write/perform what she doesn't feel as long as express a specific opinion.

As far as people white-knighting her goes (the other type of comments expressed here), I don't think that's a big issue. She's been here for a while, and has her genuine fans. She is also quite consistant in what she does. Tastes vary, but when you consider her folk-type style which isn't for everyone, her talent is undeniable which is one of the reasons why she has a site like this hosting her as a regular feature to begin with.

This post really is an oasis of sanity in the sense-desert of this comments thread. Go Theurmancer.

T.J. Mccabe:

Fordo:
After listening to that I feel like I deserve my 3 and a half minutes of life back...but I guess if it's really a song for Yahtzee anyway, I was never the target audience in the first place....

I'm sure there's a lot more to this song, but whatever affair is going on...I can't put it together. I'm either vastly out of the loop or maybe a retard.

LOL why are you here?! Damn trolls
... almost EVERY LOVE SONG MADE was written with someone in mind. It doesn't mean it can't relate to others. Aw crap... someone kick me for feeding a troll... :/ I should know better I guess.

Oh and yes... you are obviously out of the loop here. Not sure about the retard part, but you post alone definitely made my A$$hat meter go off. Now shoo troll shoo >:)

People have opinions. Grow up and respect them.

When I first heard this song it was tagged at the end of one of Yahtzee's reviews, I though "Oh, a fan song from a random person over the internet. That's pretty cool, shame it's a bit boring". Then I found this and realised it's from a professional...

I've met kids that can write this kind of stuff (music included) in half a day.... Though they'd probably miss out the "Is it okay?" part.

Renwold:

Calibanbutcher:
Well, very original:

I'm pretty sure I'm catching your sarcasm. At least I hope I am, because I've seen plenty of ZP-style videos out there (the Pure Pwnage one was fun)

Anyway I enjoyed this song a little more than most of them; I didn't really see the whole 'love/hate' thing people keep mentioning (I'm pretty sure it was just thinly-veiled animosity through and through).

Well done, it WAS sarcasm.
A truckload of it.

And now for more of it:
The song was simply AMAZING, it might just be the very best musical piece in existence and if Bach and Beethoven and the Beatles were still alive, they would immediately start crying like the little untalented pussies they are and then set out to beg Miss Mayes to accept them as disciples.
The lyrics are simply OUTSTANDING with the syllables being cleverly matched and the rhymes as pure as fresh spring water.
Furthermore, her brilliant use of metaphors and her subtle yet cunning remarks at Yathzee, his works and his well-known cynicism are not only a long-needed wake-up call to show him the error of his misogynic ways but are also sure to cause him to give up his lifestyle as a critic and start a new career as a hermit, trying to digest the wisdom distilled in this song
And even Shakespeare pales in comparison with her, since her linguistic prowess shown in the lyrics of this is unrivaled by men causing me to believe that said lyrics were dictated to her by apollo himself.
But I haven't said anything about the chorus yet, which is so ingenious that I simply can not get it out of my head. I honestly can not forget the haunting melody and clever text that is this chorus.
In addition to these feats, she has the most angelic voice that ever intoned anything anywhere and her beautiful appearance is sure to haunt his dreams forever and this guitar play would have Jimi Hendrix on his knees, thanking the lord for only this glimpse of sheer greatness.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here