Rebecca Mayes Muses: Love Song for Yahtzee

Pages PREV 1 . . . 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 NEXT

luvd1:

unwesen:

luvd1:
Yah! Branson pickle. You mentioned branson pickle. Yahtzee must be happy. And just the right amount of hatred in the lyric. Nice.

BransTon. With a T :)

Blame the ipad's predictive text. :-D

Gladly :D

This is simply an attention-seeking pseudo gamer girl trying to ride on Yahtzee's coattails in an shameless effort to get more views than her "talent" ever deserves. And if you are genuinely offended by Yahtzee's humor, then please and kindly GTFO the internet.

Not impressed, not entertained, not wasting any further time on your videos.

Did I miss something? This is the first one of these I have watched and I had no idea there was a feud going on, or is it just on her side and Yahtzee doesn't care, like normal.

Spectre39:
This is simply an attention-seeking pseudo gamer girl trying to ride on Yahtzee's coattails in an shameless effort to get more views than her "talent" ever deserves. And if you are genuinely offended by Yahtzee's humor, then please and kindly GTFO the internet.

So what you're trying to say is, you didn't get it, and you're threatened by girls in your space, and you get irrationally angry whenever someone disagrees with you or says things you dislike about people you like, and you have an inexplicable and irrational hatred towards anyone with an outsider opinion?

Your misplaced hostility is palpable. These kinds of comments look immature and like the worst of the gamer stereotype, the precise reason why Cracked's list of why it's embarrassing to call yourself a gamer is still accurate. I am so grateful that from what I have seen on this thread, they have been relatively few.

That all said - I'm not sure I could grasp this one completely, but I appreciate that somebody called Yahtzee out on his casual ironic hipster misogyny. It isn't that bad, and I watch his stuff anyway, but hopefully he has the grace to acknowledge some of it instead of getting all butthurt.

belderiver:

Spectre39:

So what you're trying to say is, you didn't get it, and you're threatened by girls in your space, and you get irrationally angry whenever someone disagrees with you or says things you dislike about people you like, and you have an inexplicable and irrational hatred towards anyone with an outsider opinion?

Your misplaced hostility is palpable. These kinds of comments look immature and like the worst of the gamer stereotype, the precise reason why Cracked's list of why it's embarrassing to call yourself a gamer is still accurate. I am so grateful that from what I have seen on this thread, they have been relatively few.

That all said - I'm not sure I could grasp this one completely, but I appreciate that somebody called Yahtzee out on his casual ironic hipster misogyny. It isn't that bad, and I watch his stuff anyway, but hopefully he has the grace to acknowledge some of it instead of getting all butthurt.

That's not what I said at all. Don't try and read into something that isn't there. Kind of makes you look like an ass to make such... assumptions.

My basic reaction to any of Mayes' music is a flat "meh", regardless of the content. Her style is to merely come up with an idle thought or two and stretch it into a video through pretentious repetition. With such a bland presentation it begs the question why she even got this gig in first place. It couldn't be because gamers are unprincipled virgins who will waive any quality control on the sole basis of a pretty face- Oh wait!

However, my main gripe with this particular song is it's core message. That someone with paper-thin sensibilities are entitled to be catered to just because their precious feelings have been hurt. People like Mayes have apparently never heard of the concept of view discretion and would rather pout and make a scene to try and "fix" anything they don't agree with. Yahtzee has the freedom to use whatever humor he wishes to as long as he doesn't violate any rules and standards set by The Escapist, and anyone who has a problem with that has a personal responsibility to not watch his videos if they offend them so much. There's much worse behavior on the internet to be upset over, but instead we get this garbage reaction over trifles.

But I suspect that's not the reason she made this video at all. As we all know, Yahtzee is very popular on this website and is the reason why many of us users are here in the first place. He's been here since near the beginning and has stayed in the spotlight for so long because he's talented and entertaining. Mayes on the other hand is none of these things. She's relatively unknown on this website, but would have the audacity to cry foul over what Yahtzee has been doing so well for so long? The motive here is obvious. She was attempting to claim the moral high ground and by proxy claim attention from the impressionable masses on this website to keep her relevant. A publicity stunt, as it were. In the music industry this is a common tactic between hip-hop artists to start rivalries in order to generate buzz for their albums. This isn't music, it's a cry for attention.

So I'll continue to do my part by ignoring Mayes' sad excuses for content in the hopes that her presence here dies off from well-deserved neglect, if there's any justice.

I've always got the chorus to this song stuck in my head.
You've blown my mind yet again, Rebecca!

Spectre39:
Snip

Hello there.

Spectre39:
Rant about song message

I thought the entire thing was a light hearted critique approach to the mind of Ben Croshaw, ironically echoing his job -Putting him in the spotlight, not a video game. This was backed up by the imagery in the chorus and the many interpretations of the lyrics "Is it okay?"

You then go off about how she doesn't understand comedy and yada-yada. I think you missed the point of the song by huge mark but I want to move on to the parts of your post that irked me most.

Spectre39:
Snip

And here we are at this paragraph.
The fouth one. Or third, it depends on where you consider the first paragraph to start and end.

Spectre39:
He's been here since near the beginning

Not exactly. But I digress.

Spectre39:
Mayes on the other hand is none of these things

Subjective.
You might have realised, I support her.

Spectre39:
She's relatively unknown on this website

Here we go

Bit of a bold claim Sir. Especially the way you have worded the sentence.

Ask any regular user on The Escapist who Rebecca Mayes is, and they will tell you. Ask most of the "Wednesday tourism" and yes, they'll probably be oblivious to her name.

Heck, at least 2,000 people know and appreciate her work. That doesn't even count people who don't have Facebook or people, like you, who dislike her work.

See what I did there? I gave evidence of my counter argument. Not that your wide and frankly stupid claim is even worth going this far into detail for.

Spectre39:
A publicity stunt, as it were.

I cut your waffle. Sorry. Anything that isn't quoted just assume I agree with it

While I see where you're coming from, what with it being the most popular man on the site being used to boost views for the series, I just don't buy it.

Firstly, RBM is broadcast on a Friday, and stays on the front page for around 2-3 days. A publicity stunt does not really work if the supposed stunt is not easily visible on the day when the majority of weekly hits arrives.[1] By this I mean, why spray paint a wall if it is to be cleaned before anyone sees it? You could argue that the second long reference to the song in the "No More Heroes 2" review spiked curiosity, but by then the video was over a week old. Talk of a sleeper hit eh?

How would the vast sea of "1 visit ZP viewers" know about the video? I'm confident their own websites, be it Gamespot, IGN or other, do not create newsposts advertising other rival website content. Think about it. Yes it probably did get more viewers through investigation, but after a week through an obscure reference. Not exactly a ground breaking publicity stunt.

On talk of stunts, shall we blame Mayes for the publicity stunt she orchestrated, advertising herself by appearing on a TV programme with a popular critic? No.
No. No. No.

Never.

What about Graham and Paul of Loading Ready Run? Shall we say that they were unknown nobody's With their own website, forum and wikia until they had a chance to engage in a minor crossover?

Spectre39:
So I'll continue to do my part by ignoring Mayes' sad excuses for content in the hopes that her presence here dies off from well-deserved neglect, if there's any justice.

Then do us all a favour and not watch the videos, not comment on the videos and just fuck off to the place you want to be, as you obviously don't want to be here.

[1] Well that's a jumbled sentence

Spectre39:
My basic reaction to any of Mayes' music is a flat "meh", regardless of the content. Her style is to merely come up with an idle thought or two and stretch it into a video through pretentious repetition. With such a bland presentation it begs the question why she even got this gig in first place. It couldn't be because gamers are unprincipled virgins who will waive any quality control on the sole basis of a pretty face- Oh wait!

Like I said: you read as somebody who doesn't get it and is threatened by having girls in his space.

You don't like her music? That's fine. You're under no impetus to. But she is hardly just putting idle thought to a tune - Mayes' work is meta-commentary on gaming culture that typically lampshades things that we as gamers would not pause to consider. She is coming at it from a different perspective, and that is not an inherently bad one, whether or not you like the final project.

Second of all, you're an ass for downplaying that she has both musical ability and a legitimate point of view, and doing so because of her sex. Guess what what's called, kiddies? And no matter how many lonely creepers are staring at her ass rather than listening to what she has to say? It's never going to invalidate what she's actually saying.

However, my main gripe with this particular song is it's core message. That someone with paper-thin sensibilities are entitled to be catered to just because their precious feelings have been hurt. People like Mayes have apparently never heard of the concept of view discretion and would rather pout and make a scene to try and "fix" anything they don't agree with.

Says he who is leaving inflammatory, dismissive remarks on somebody else's work? Honestly, you're way more butthurt than she is.

Not to mention, you have no idea what her sensibilities are like, that was not the core message of the video, and "I think that you're sexist and kind of an elitist jerk sometimes" is a perfectly legitimate piece of criticism. It's also a piece of criticism that seems to whip indignant fanboys into an absolute fervor no matter how casual an observation it is, and that really seems like what is happening here. Please stop trying to paint it like she was clutching at her pearls, shaking and crying.

Yahtzee has the freedom to use whatever humor he wishes to as long as he doesn't violate any rules and standards set by The Escapist, and anyone who has a problem with that has a personal responsibility to not watch his videos if they offend them so much. There's much worse behavior on the internet to be upset over, but instead we get this garbage reaction over trifles.

Actually, you're wrong, nobody has the "personal responsibility" to not watch something that they might enjoy for other reasons, nor does anybody have the personal responsibility to sit down and shut up when they come across something that offends them. That would be a terrible world to live in.

That said, if you truly believe this with all your heart, then why did you watch this video? Either you didn't know what it contained (thus proving why 'don't like, don't watch' is a stupid philosophy) or you did it anyway for the sake of forging a far less eloquent and legitimate complaint.

But I suspect that's not the reason she made this video at all. As we all know, Yahtzee is very popular on this website and is the reason why many of us users are here in the first place. He's been here since near the beginning and has stayed in the spotlight for so long because he's talented and entertaining. Mayes on the other hand is none of these things. She's relatively unknown on this website, but would have the audacity to cry foul over what Yahtzee has been doing so well for so long? The motive here is obvious. She was attempting to claim the moral high ground and by proxy claim attention from the impressionable masses on this website to keep her relevant. A publicity stunt, as it were. In the music industry this is a common tactic between hip-hop artists to start rivalries in order to generate buzz for their albums. This isn't music, it's a cry for attention.

If you say so, man. Sounds like music to me. There's a melody and everything.

Look, there is really no way of proving her intention - I think she had an opinion to express about Yahtzee, you think she was riding his coattails. In either case, I don't think there's really anything wrong with what she did, and coupled with the rest of your reply, I am once again picking up the kind of "all girls who make themselves known on the internet are attention whores!!!" attitude. Ultimately? She isn't hurting anybody, it fits just fine with the theme of her segment, and this isn't really an ethical question that needs to be pondered.[/quote]

Oh, I sincerely hope you do a better job next time.

Febronia:

Much lover and prayers to Yahtzee, to make it through this difficult time of tossers and women setting feminism and humor back a good six decades.

Please don't act like you know a damn thing about feminism after that long, embarrassing tirade of a response. Hell, you probably still think the word is synonymous with lesbian, don't you?

i have soooo been waiting for this;
pure awesomenessness!!

now i wonder how a response'd look like?!

Cody211282:
Did I miss something? This is the first one of these I have watched and I had no idea there was a feud going on, or is it just on her side and Yahtzee doesn't care, like normal.

Seems like it.

Hmmm, nice flame war going here, warm and comfy it is.
Maybe I should write something, too...

@Spectre39: We get that you do not like RBM, but maybe you should not respond anymore to the aggravated fans and just start listening to some music (good one, not RBM).

@LordCuthberton: Well, I personally must say that I did not know her until her "Yathzee-stunt", which WAS on the video front-page on a Wednesday no less and I do believe that it was mainly publicity stunt.
As for her music: I personally do not like her music and by now I have listened to several of her other songs as well and I did not like even one of them, but if you like them fine.
But saying that she has 2.000 facebook fans... Heck there is a pretzel with more than 500.000 fans on facebook so your argument doesn't really say too much.

@belderiver If you like her music, fine but do not go around insulting others because their musical taste differs from yours.
And it is true that no one has the "responsibility" not to watch something they dislike, but watching the video despite knowing that one will dislike it and then proceeding to hate on said video is not what I would call good style nor is it appropriate.
And of course, no one has the responsibility to shut up, but sometimes it is better to say nothing than to offend people (you reading this Spectre39?) And trying to pin Specter39 with sexism is just wrong, since he never said that he was afraid by women in his space, or did he now? And he never really said anything against women in general.
Or is saying that an entertainer sucks sexist if the entertainer happens to be of the female persuasion?
Yes, he wrote "gamer girl" but I believe that he would hate RBM just as much if she was a guy. AND he would probably make fun of him for being called "Rebecca"

That said, please proceed to waste valuable lifetime just to defend some artist that will never care for you and probably never heard of you and probably doesn't care about anything you say.
And yes, I dislike RBM's music but I do not care what you think of her.

EDIT:
If you want to hate on me, here are some suggestions on how to start:
1. Arguments out of context
2. You must be a sexist yourself, defending other sexists
3. General whining and bitching around

Bahahahaaa! Flame war thread! People throwing around the word 'feminist' like they know what it means! Hahaaa! Oh, good, I needed a laugh.

OT: I adored the first two verses, despised the ending and the chorus. Good job, Rebecca, but please for the love of God if you're trying for a song that captures Yahtzee's eloquence don't have a repetitive chorus. I get what you're trying to do, and I'm amused that you took the Yahtzee route in making everything outlandish and bigger than life. But for fuck's sake, that ending. Ugh. Too whiney for my liking. But there we go.

Calibanbutcher:
Snip

[trolling] How dare you oppress women and imply that we're only good for the kitchen! You must be a sexist, as you oppress us AND defend other sexists! Oh, God, I have never been so offended in my LIFE, you misogynist pig! [/trolling]

This was fantastic!

After a couple of months away from this site I've come back and found this video.

mind = blown

Would someone please briefly bring me up to speed with what is going on?

this song was awesome

For those confused about whether Rebecca loves or hates Yahtzee: I think the point of the song is that so is she.

Ohhhhh, that was so close to being great...

Rebecca, I'm going to be honest: I've never been a fan of your songs. They're too repetitive, mainly, repeating the same chorus line about thirty times in a row at least three times on most occasions. They're not usually clever, either.

This one *almost* made me change my mind... it started out so damn strong, and it was hilarious, clever words and rhyming on par with Yahtzee himself. BUT THEN, you started into the chorus. "Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?..." (repeat)

Please, please, stop doing that to your songs. You would be a pleasure to listen to if it weren't for the repetition

The "Is it OK?" thing actually worked for me. Normally I find the repetition slightly frustrating, but here the line was about preoccupation: she suggests the question "Is it ok? Is it ok to be the way that I am?" is dominating their thought processes, so it kinda makes sense that the line dominates the song. It's a catchy hook, too.

In the words of a wise man (Yhatzee) "Rebecca Mayes either loves me or wants me dead. It's a little unclear."

I love Rebecca Mayes' music

Hmm, I didn't like the song that much. I think she should sing more in her range (a bit lower), and I think the lyrics are a bit unfinished. Seems like she just left some placeholder lyrics here and there and didn't come up with anything better and just went for it. A bit weak.

=. =

Not cool

Rebecca's lyrics are always "a bit weak", that's usually kind of part of the charm, but for me she missed a beat on the tone of this one.

I actually found myself feeling kind of embarrassed for her because the song makes her seem more "bitter and a bit of an unpleasant person under the cutesy exterior" than the "lovably ditzy and unusual" that I suspect she was going for.

what did yahtzee do to piss her off?
anyway great song ^_^

Cody211282:

You sortof missed it. She realised a normal love song wouldn't work on Yahtzee, we all know he doesn't have human emotions, so she went the critical way, like he does, playing him at his own game :D

22 pages of Mayes and Yahtzee fans going at it... I feel so caught in the middle! D: However, the song is excellent Miss Mayes, and another in a collection of excellent songs.

I went through each ppage of this forum. Checked each name. 22 pages (23 maybe with this post) And I didn't find a response by Yahtzee. I'm just going to go to sleep now.

I hate to complain about this and I love the song but white straight men are not the majority because about 51% of the Earth's population are women.

Not got enough comments? Make something referencing Yahtzee!! Mayes follows suit.

Wow... This Rebecca Muse chick is pretty much without talent. I watched a couple of her songs based on this one to see if they were any better & they are not. She's not entertaining, shes not informative & she's not singing on key. Her content seems to be the least watched on Escapist & this song seems to have been nothing more then an attempt to ride on the coat tails of someone with actual talent.

-M

I am so, so sad I didn't check Escapist for most of the summer.

Rock on, Miss Mayes.

//Formulaic? Duh. So is every other show on this site. Did Coulton have to put up with this shit?
///But I wouldn't mind hearing some grrlier stuff too.

matthew_lane:
Wow... This Rebecca Muse chick is pretty much without talent. I watched a couple of her songs based on this one to see if they were any better & they are not. She's not entertaining, shes not informative & she's not singing on key. Her content seems to be the least watched on Escapist & this song seems to have been nothing more then an attempt to ride on the coat tails of someone with actual talent.

-M

fuckin' A

did yahtzee watch this?

I dont think much of most your videos, to be fair I've only seen half and got bored of watching them. they mostly sound the same musically. the lyrics are normally pretty pointless and seem to be about computer games for the sake of being about computer games, and even then for the sake of fitting the tune.

This is your best, the chorus is actually a good tune. And some of the lyrics are interesting for a change. it generally feels less contrived, maybe because there is less of you posing ;)

Run Yahtzee Run!

if this is all in good fun, then it's fantastic - at least for what it's worth. but if this is some sort of legitimate feud thing (because the comments section makes this very, VERY unclear), then it was barely worth a chuckle, and even being a girl, I'd rather stick to Yahtzee's tried-and-true misogynistic, clever wit. hopefully they get on well though, because if this IS a legitimate feud, it might be the saddest thing I've seen in a good while.

belderiver:

Spectre39:

I don't even believe it was sexist until your statement made it so, although the choice of the words 'gamer girl' don't endear to me - and it would appear that the only thing more palpable than HIS misplaced hostility is YOURS. actually, I'm just kidding and the whole thing seems ridiculous - and he's already done a good job of acknowledging it, and it would be particularly uncharacteristic of Yahtzee to get butthurt over anything other than a good game

that said, would it be mean of me to point out that while he technically IS part of the majority, she's only about three inches away from it?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here