Rebecca Mayes Muses: Love Song for Yahtzee

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

I FINALLY SEE IT! i know who she looks like in my head now. Been Bugging me. Franke Potente. I think thats how its spelled. Also good song. Liked the video.

Speechless performance, i'd steal Yahtzee's hat just so i could put it on and take it off again as a respectfull salute for this achievement.

Altho a tiny voice inside my head keeps saying: "Yahtzee might've lost this round, but the boomerang returns with his victory eventually!"

Cacth what?

I hope Yahtzee does a review of the whole geek music genera, because there is so much better stuff out there than Mayes Muses. Perhaps it is my strait white maleness talking but I could never understand her viewpoint on games. Her videos tend to focus on trivial matters like the lack of different body types in 3d models, and not on the core gaming experience. At least with stuff like MC Fontalot's "It Is Pitch Dark," he sings about the very core of the text adventure experience, pointless death for not grasping the developer's moon logic. It is because of this that I considered Mayes's Sims video to be her best work. It was the only time she sung about the core of a game's experience, playing a benevolent/malevolent god over some poor guy's daily existence.

curiosity got the best of me, wondering 'oooo whats goin on ere then'

as far as the song goes, meh......just meh, not my kind of thing.

also wondering what he did to piss her off

Indeed the best one yet.

Yahtzee reply wanted now :)

Ok I've never been a fan of Rebecca Mayes Muses mostly because it weirds me out to have someone singing about games that I play (don't ask why), but that was to quote as Yahtzee said "Fackeen Oresum". If he doesn't like that then he's going to be nerd-raged by all the members of the Escapist.

I never liked Mayes Muses, but I did enjoy this song. Im not sure why, but I did. By the way, I am sure, but Im not going to say it out loud, because the answer is obvious.

Wow, Yahtzee should go to the UK and get himself a girlfriend! He's in there like a sharp stabby tool.

jojoemon:
Great song, and I hope to hear a response from Yahtzee. I think that would be pretty interesting as well.

Extra Punctuation: Rebecca Mayes. I'm waiting for it, too.

I guess we have to wait another week for Yahtzee to tell us what he thought of this.

Good song, but I'm confused as to the reason for it. Oh well.

oooh, I get it. She must be a smash Bros. Brawl fan!

Krantos:
Not sure how to respond to that. I guess it all comes down to how serious she was.

On the one hand, yes, Yahtzee uses way too many inappropriate references at times.

On the other hand, the review that he made the most in (Sims 3), to me, sounded like willful self-parody. It seemed like he was intentionally over-doing it to take the piss out of himself, and he even went on that whole "If you think you're funny when you're really etc. etc." rant in which he pretty much ripped into himself.

It seems that 90% of the time, the people who genuinely hate Yahtzee are, to put it bluntly, cretins who take his more puerile jokes far too seriously, while failing to pay attention to any of his serious points, and as a result think he's just some foulmouthed dickhead.

There's almost always some sort of comic construct going on with him, which he wheels out alongside his serious critic persona. And while I personally like this, I would say he's kind of trying to have his cake and eat it too.

The result of this is that he's very easily misunderstood. And people may say his humor is simply stupid offensive jokes dressed up in some vaguely ironic package, and I would respond by saying that there's simply another level to his jokes that's going right over their heads, because they're too busy acting offended to really pay attention to the guy. Most of the humor and meanings he's trying to get across are a bit more subtle than his detractors seem to think, but they tend to listen to him make, say, a misogynist joke, respond "THATS NOT FUNNY ITS JUST DICKHEAD MISOGYNY" and completely miss not only what's genuinely funny about it, but the fact he's also condemning misogyny.

Equally bad are those retarded Yahtzee fanboys who run round quoting him, hating games they've never played, copying him (despite him advocating independent thought) and generally acting like dicks because they think that sort of behavior is funny.

I for one quite liked it, but the only thing that annoyed me was the drums during the chorus - never been keen on that sound (particularly on the toms).

Been doing sound engineering and studio production for a couple of years now - so if you ever want anything done Rebecca, fire me a message or something and I'll see what I can do.

I'd quite like to play with the tracks and remix some of your stuff and try out some things - I don't get too much time with music like yours.

Regardless, Good Job- Looking forward to seeing what the man has to say about it

I've tried to watch a few of these things she makes here and there but I've yet to find any that I can even sit all the way through. It's probably just not the kind of art that appeals to me, though I can't say I know anyone in person (out of about 3 dozen or so that visit this place regularly) that seem to like it either.

Given that the topic this time was Yahtzee I'd hoped it would at least be something I could watch and not want my spent time back, as there's a lot to work with, probably not hard to make something at least passable. Didn't see anything worth watching though.

dex-dex:

Blue-State:

dex-dex:
this is the best one yet!

some of the pictures could be a bit more refined but that did not matter because it is AWESOME!
he would be very dumb to shoot you down!

Don't Worry. He doesn't watch movies! :P

well it is always good to have visuals (it is what makes zp even more fun then just audio rage)

It is indeed dex-dex. Gotta Love the Imps!
I found this pic and I just had to show everyone! XD

Lucifer dern:
haha had no idea what that was about... did she like him or wana kill him with a screwdriver.... did he rip on her fav game or something?....

He rips on everyone's favourite games...

Hm,I really hoped to hear Yahtzee sing in this video,still awesome though.I'd like to see him reviewing your songs,Zero Punctuation-Style.

Bets will be subject of the next Extra Punctuation?

Not sure how to respond to that. I guess it all comes down to how serious she was.

On the one hand, yes, Yahtzee uses way too many inappropriate references at times.

On the other hand, the review that he made the most in (Sims 3), to me, sounded like willful self-parody. It seemed like he was intentionally over-doing it to take the piss out of himself, and he even went on that whole "If you think you're funny when you're really etc. etc." rant in which he pretty much ripped into himself.

Also, was it intentional to make the singer look like Yahtzee's version of Lara Croft (same hair and color shirt I mean)? Because that's the last female game character any feminist should be standing up for. She's a poorly written cardboard cut-out of exploitation, who wears unnecessarily revealing clothes and is anatomically unfeasible. I mean her last game's box art didn't even show her face.

If you want to stand up for female video game characters there are a lot better ones than Lara Croft. Jennifer Mui from the first Mercenaries game, is my personal fav. She's incredibly smart, incredibly skilled, and best of all, the game doesn't make a big deal out of her being female. There's no stereotypes, no sexual references, no revealing outfits. She's a highly trained mercenary and that's how the game portrays her. Unfortunately the sequel kills her by making her talk about things like fashion and shopping and dressing her in skin tight pants (none of which the character in the first game would have done at all).

Another good one is Wynne from Dragon Age. It's not every game that has the guts to incorporate a strong-willed, out-spoken old woman, and then still portrays her as being a woman, talking about her love life and even flirting with Oghren. A very rare character. Though, to be honest they could have cut the jokes about her age in half.

I'm pants-on-head confused

Nojh:
Hmm... now I have to go back and see if Yahtzee's videos really are misogynist...

Oh, they definitely are, at least in the sense that he has said on several occasions that women (or their bodies) disgust him... but how much of this is real or played as joke is not so obvious. I think one of her points is that, even if he is being ironically misogynist it still hurts and alienates part of an audience that would otherwise really enjoy the intelligent and funny things he has to say. (By the way, I love Yahtzee).

What has me curious is that she seems to be referring to a specific thing he said... "you really pissed me off cuz you put her down" (2:30ish)... is this Her as in women, or is this a specific incident?

CitySquirrel:

What has me curious is that she seems to be referring to a specific thing he said... "you really pissed me off cuz you put her down" (2:30ish)... is this Her as in women, or is this a specific incident?

Wondering this myself

I loved it!!!

Pleasepleasepleaseplease put this up on iTunes!!!

unwesen:

luvd1:
Yah! Branson pickle. You mentioned branson pickle. Yahtzee must be happy. And just the right amount of hatred in the lyric. Nice.

BransTon. With a T :)

Blame the ipad's predictive text. :-D

Pants-on-head BRILLIANT, more like.

47 1/3rd thumbs way up. I won't tell you how many people I polled, though.

Coliumbos:
Bleugh.

Disgusting. It may be a love song but it seemed more like ass kissing. I may be crying right now but they are tears of pain rather than tears coming from empathy.

As Yahtzee would say 'this shit will not fly'

You didn't even watch it did you? If you did you wouldn't be making yourself look like a fool with your pants on the ground by saying something that was the exact opposite of the video.

Exellent song, makes next week seem all the more awsome. Yahtzee's response, probably in both EP and ZP.

I have not watched one of these in months, yahtzee's name is the only reason i did. Just as bad as i remember. I guess it worked for getting some views.

That was a nice song, though I'm not 100% sure what tone and direction you were aiming for, you were saying he can be a jerk (which he can), but also that he is irresitable (which he is).

Beside that, a nice song with some nice video accomponiment.

That was a great song! Wonder what Yahtzee's response will be?

I laughed at this one :D great job!

EDIT: Bag of penis jokes win :P

I couldnt help but smile all the way throught that. Really sweet and really well done. I look forwards to see Yahtzee's responce.

The end was a little scary mind, slightly off putting :|

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or