Escape to the Movies: Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

This week Moviebob reviews Knight and Day. Does Tom Cruise regain his Mission Impossible era action movie status or is this just another action romance comedy to let pass by? Also, we take a look at the Smurfs trailer.

Watch Video

Poor Bob, why are you giving him such a dull movie Escapist?

I'm 22. I'm aware of Romancing the Stone and my parents own it on VHS (it's "their movie", similar to "their song"). I still have never seen it, though I want to. That's far more than I can say for the Smurfs movie.

Oh man, that Smurfs trailer. When I saw it, I was pretty disgusted about it too. How far can you take a franchise in the wrong direction? Well... just ask whoever is making the Smurfs movie, Uwe Boll, and Michael Bay. It's like the unholy trinity.

Bob, I never realized how adept you are at ignoring me. Review "Unthinkable"!! Also, I don't see Tom Cruise as a sub-par actor now. He's the same dude except no one wants to give the great roles anymore because of his performance on Oprah. It's stupid. He's crazy, who cares? Let him act dammit!

Sorry about the just so standard movie it is almost an achievement (but wasn't) you had to review, and the fact you had to fill the time with talking about the SMURFS MOVIE.

Are we really that desperate to revive old 80's cartoons into movies that we have to dig out the SMURFS? Really? Wasn't Scooby Doo, Transformers, and Alvin and the Chimpmucks any idication that they aren't a good idea. Wait, nevermind, no matter the stupid reason, those movies somehow made embarressing amounts of money.

3D versions of the smurfs look kind of creepy, I also did not know they were originally Belgium.
the more you know i guess.

xyrafhoan:
Oh man, that Smurfs trailer. When I saw it, I was pretty disgusted about it too. How far can you take a franchise in the wrong direction? Well... just ask whoever is making the Smurfs movie, Uwe Boll, and Michael Bay. It's like the unholy trinity.

I would replace Boll with the guys behind the Alvin and the Chimpmucks movie to make the unholy trinity about making frankstien monsters out of 80's cartoons.

I didn't think Jonah Hex sounded that good either.
Bob you can look away from Sarah Palin, you can do it! Look deep within yourself, you have the power!
Some of the G.I. Joe characters weren't American? Big Deal! They weren't even the actual G.I. Joe characters to begin with!

A US Dangermouse?!

It doesn't exist and it's making my british blood boil :)

My thoughts on a Green Hornet movie: If they can't resurrect Bruce Lee to play Kato, I can't be bothered to think about it.

Not G. Ivingname:
Sorry about the just so standard movie it is almost an achievement (but wasn't) you had to review, and the fact you had to fill the time with talking about the SMURFS MOVIE.

Are we really that desperate to revive old 80's cartoons into movies that we have to dig out the SMURFS? Really? Wasn't Scooby Doo, Transformers, and Alvin and the Chimpmucks any idication that they aren't a good idea. Wait, nevermind, no matter the stupid reason, those movies somehow made embarressing amounts of money.

but soon they will be screwing with 90's cartoons so just let them get through all the 80's cartoons
(but scooby-doo was originally made in the 60's )
They are runing out of ideas so they are taking from the past and just spiting on people's child hood favourites like the teenage mutant ninja turtles that MICHAEL BAY is directing. grrrrrr rage.

I was actually hoping MovieBob got to do another DVD/Older movie discussion like he did for Heavy Metal, cause nothing interesting came out this week. So yea a Tom Cruise's movie where he is trying to up Mr. and Mrs. Smith cause he has that suppose rivalry with Brad Pitt? and fails?

I hate how the smurfs trailer is showing the fact they will be using the name "smurf" as a every cuss word fill in. We did that in college for about 3 minutes before it got annoying (we also add a few "Snorks" in there too, anyone remember them besides me?) This is going to be a whole movie of people doing that all the time isn't it?

I am scared for other cartoon shows I grew up with....

But Still a fun video MovieBob

not caring for Green Hornet, I rather wait for the other green superhero.... Green Arrow!!

My parent love romance of the stone for some reason

Also your prononciation was pretty good, I think you just mangle the t a bit

I remember seeing the Smurfs trailers when I went to see Toy Story 3, and I'm curious to know how the movie will work. Smurfs in New York? Why? Also, how will Gargamel fit in this movie?

Side note: I didn't know the Smurfs were Belgium. And now I know. Thanks, Bob.

I wonder how many bad/boring movies Bob has to sit through before he gets to a good movie

Unhappy Crow:
I remember seeing the Smurfs trailers when I went to see Toy Story 3, and I'm curious to know how the movie will work. Smurfs in New York? Why? Also, how will Gargamel fit in this movie?

Side note: I didn't know the Smurfs were Belgium. And now I know. Thanks, Bob.

I don't know but I saw on TMZ that he IS in the film.

Yeah, the second I saw that the Smurfs trailer, I nearly vomited all over my computer. I know we haven't seen any "real" footage yet, but if that "SMURF HAPPENS" means anything, it probably indicates that this film will be a heaping pile of smurf...

-Also, being directed by the same guy who directed such classics as the live-action Scooby-Doo movie and Beverly Hills Chihuahua doesn't help much...

Yes, I am from Belgium. But here right now are far bigger concerns, like getting a proper government (haven't exactly had one in years).
Personally, I watched that Smurfs cartoon when I was 5, couldn't care less what happens to it.
A film like this is doomed to fail, epicly.

Incidentally, and a nice cross-over between that other movie, Belgium is one of the few countries that is actively trying to halt Scientology, that is trying to be active here because the European Government is seated in Brussels.

It's really weird that you say no one under 25 remembers Romancing the Stone. I'm 19 and the minute you wrote the words "romantic action-comedy" on your review I immediately thought of Romancing the Stone. I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't remember it, but I'm not one of them ;).

Seth Green as a vigilante...I had to look up the Hornet to be honest...he was a bit obscure for me...

I don't like it. Unless Green can pull a Jack Black in the King Kong Remake and be more crazy than funny, it might work...But I honestly think Green is wrong for the material. You need stoic and serious with a little bit of humor, not the other way around.

random123456789:
I wonder how many bad/boring movies Bob has to sit through before he gets to a good movie

He liked Toy Story 3 last week. Were have you been?

The Smurfs looked like little blue gremlins or something. In any case they fucking scared me.

If it's any comfort, hopefully Tintin will be set in either native Belgium or England. They both work because, honestly, the comics were really vague about where the gang lived.

smurfs movies ow dear... its like when they made spiderman emo to adhear to the fact most of there audience for the movie where... its just blattent hollywood rape.
just to spawn some hollywood h8 you know the crow before brandon lee joined was on its way to becoming a musical with micheal jackson...no joke it really was...
i wanted to be a script wrighter a while ago (yeah even with this spelling) stuff like this just makes me thinck the idea of passionate expression and viewing movies as art just dont exsist...i might take a look at the stuff for games...but that will probibly go the same way...

WTF is the green hornet? Also

FUCKING SMURF'D! ARE YOU MOTHER FUCKING KIDDING ME!

They are making another one of those God-fucking-awful movies where they put a fantasy character(s) in reality, which would be fine if they weren't kids things permanantly set in another reality and only leave them for the sake of a bad live action film, like the mario movie and the various other shit that I can't remember since I blocked those hideous movies out by playing hours upon hours of Prototype. This is a movie that was practically made FOR THE NOSTALGIA CRITIC!

FUUUUUCK YOU MOVIE...

On the Green Hornet, it depends on how they work it. It could be great because they go the Darkwing Duck route in that there is the accidental kicking of ass.That as he is bumbling about he accidentally does anything. Though there is going to be a great disconnect because the idea of Green Hornet is cool by people who didn't really get it. That in the fact the current generation has no clue on it, they are going to take advantage of that to make it more marketable. There hasn't been much of it seen yet, so we don't know. It could be rather good like The Shadow.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be 2 branches to sony cinema, one side which sends out new exciting things and the other, which sends out things desined to sell it's own products, like this (selling 3d tv allbeit indirectly).

I have always viewed Kato as being to the Green Hornet much as Friday was to Robinson Crusoe. And you know what they said about Robinson Crusoe:

He was the only man to ever have all his work done by Friday.

So, with this in mind, I think that Seth Rogan will excel at the role of playing what is esentially the "anti" Batman.

am i the oly one who kind of breathed a sigh of relief to see Tom Cruise just plain ol' acting again? It's like, okay phew, he's not hopping around screaming about the dangers of ritalin or whatever, or getting visibly upset on television, or having a weird haircut.

It's like tension has been let out of thew room.

Maybe i'm just comforted by what seems like a return back to what i feel as a status quo. Hell, there's probably some of you who ONLY know Tom Cruise as "that crazy person who used to be in movies."

Yeah, I know about Romancing the Stone and I am 17. Also, I honestly don't know what you saw in Daybreakers. That movie was very dull and very uninteresting. It was a good idea, just very poorly executed.

MaraJade03:

not caring for Green Hornet, I rather wait for the other green superhero.... Green Arrow!!

Or the Green Lantern....

Ahh. Romancing the stone. I am over the age of twenty five but I remember romancing the stone from my childhood. It was probably my gateway movie into romantic comedies. I watched it back when it was on broadcast television on Saturdays or Sundays when all they did was show random movies. And the sequel, Jewel of the Nile... those got released on DVD right? I need to go get 'em...

Now I really think we need to see a Gummi Bears and Danger Mouse movie made sometime soon.

You know what would've been cool? HAve 5 minutes of Bob talking about movies he previously reviewed this month and keep talking about what makes them so good. I know I could talk for hours about why Toy Story 3 is SOOOOO good.
Well, guess I'll go see that again. Or Splice. Or The A-Team.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here