Preview: Medal of Honor Beta Hands On

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

We join up for a tour in Afghanistan, courtesy of the recent beta.

Read Full Article

video wasnt working. might be just me, ill try again in a bit
OT: i wonder if it will have ordering airstrikes on buildings where there may be terrorist because there are people in them? i dont know, this may be glamourising the war in afghanistan a bit, considering its still going on
it could be really insensitive to the families of soldiers and the afghan people that are dying there TODAY
im talking about the game in general, not this review

Video no worky guys. You click play, then it asks you if you want to play again.

Video not working for me either.

Video isn't working for me.

I am still a bit irked by always fighting Middle Eastern people in some 'fictional' war. I saw a documentary where people from that region spoke up how they felt bombing their own cities and killing their own people, granted it's virtual but c'mon..It's always them.

Some games that aren't graphical impressive at all still convey a strong emotional feelings by depicting USA as the enemy or Israel. Knowing two sides of a story and opinions is quite refreshing.

Either way, I am hoping this game doesn't turn out too similair like the over-saturated FPS segment.

Straying Bullet:

I am still a bit irked by always fighting Middle Eastern people in some 'fictional' war. I saw a documentary where people from that region spoke up how they felt bombing their own cities and killing their own people, granted it's virtual but c'mon..It's always them.

Some games that aren't graphical impressive at all still convey a strong emotional feelings by depicting USA as the enemy or Israel. Knowing two sides of a story and opinions is quite refreshing.

Either way, I am hoping this game doesn't turn out too similair like the over-saturated FPS segment.

I am 200% against the release of the crapsterpiece that 6 Days in Fallujah was going to be. But MoH at least doesn`t involve civilians and 'insurgents', but two "armies" fighting each other.

Straying Bullet:

vietcong 2 did that. or at least tried to.
you play most of the game as americans mighting off standard hollywood vietcong, then theres a flashback vietcong bit - where they seem even more cartoonishly evil
im probably going to get some hate for this but the US (and allies) are the invaders, but the taliban are made to be the bad guys, despite american culture supporting the underdog/rebels
but i bet there will be nukes, etc.
hold on, in this game, arent these guys the ELITE OF THE ELITE? so why are they fighting ill trained, ill equipped men, who, for suspenses sake, will probably gain the upperhand? how will that happen? thats like some blackbelts beating up some primary school kids - and losing
war will always be glorified - fact of life, ironically, but come on, leave it till at least the war ends

cainx10a:
I am 200% against the release of the crapsterpiece that 6 Days in Fallujah was going to be. But MoH at least doesn`t involve civilians and 'insurgents', but two "armies" fighting each other.

apparently its still coming out, they just havent found a publisher
actually, looking at that on wikipedia, it says something on the lines of
"marines blew holes in buildings to blindside the terrorists inside"
by "terrorists", it may mean "civilians who were hiding inside to escape the war"

some basic concepts are ripped from the battlefield series, but at least they ripped the good stuff and improved upon it. I like the combat mission idea, its like slurring multiple game modes from stuff in modern warfare 2 along with the rush mode concept from battlefield bad company 2. Hopefully this turns out to be one of the games where gameplay just rocks even if the graphics failed to impress me right off.

edit: then again graphic quality is subject to the computer being used and the quality of the video, so i could be wrong :D

The Cheezy One:
but the taliban are made to be the bad guys

Why could that be?

Sorry about the video, guys. It should be working now.

Video isn't working for me yet
Though I saw a level played in an EA tent at the Download festival about a fortnight ago, and I was sincerely underwhelmed

Another FPS set in the Middle East. How original.
Anyways, at least they're being honest about you fighting the Taliban. Fighting "insurgents" and the like in mysteriously unnamed middle-eastern countries kind of felt like a sad hack of real life.

So... they basically looked at Modern Warfare and/or Bad Company and said "let's make that."

(The video worked fine for me.)

Zhukov:
So... they basically looked at Modern Warfare and/or Bad Company and said "let's make that."

(The video worked fine for me.)

Neh...looks completely different to me, and hell, this demo doesn't even seem that buggy, and if the demo isn't, then the real game shouldn't be, so it's already 1 up on MW2

i like how they have done the classes as well, and the "Noob Tubes" do not look overpowered in this, and look harder to aim, which is good, again another up from MW2...

If i here good things, i'll probably get it, looks ok now, and demo's that look ok usually have good games following them =)

A modern day FPS made by EA and Dice.

Swear that came out earlier this year... :P That AK-74su model looks remarkably similair to BC2's as well.

Ah, who cares?

cainx10a:

Straying Bullet:

I am confused. What exactly was so "craptastic" about Six Days in Fallujah? I mean, the only thing that bothered me about it was the fact that included regenerating health, which I think goes against the spirit of the game. Otherwise, it seemed like a very solid title and it was praiseworthy that it was willing to tackle a contemporary issue without trying to be political about it.

EDIT: Anyway, we will see how this turns out. Personally, I very much like the idea of singleplayer and multiplayer being handled by two seperate studios, since it increases the chances that this will be a good title. So I have high hopes for this reboot.

To be honest it looks like a low quality Bad Company 2 with less features.

Tom Phoenix:

cainx10a:

Straying Bullet:

I am confused. What exactly was so "craptastic" about Six Days in Fallujah? I mean, the only thing that bothered me about it was the fact that included regenerating health, which I think goes against the spirit of the game. Otherwise, it seemed like a very solid title and it was praiseworthy that it was willing to tackle a contemporary issue without trying to be political about it.

EDIT: Anyway, we will see how this turns out. Personally, I very much like the idea of singleplayer and multiplayer being handled by two seperate studios, since it increases the chances that this will be a good title. So I have high hopes for this reboot.

Because a game that will not bother to show how civvies were getting killed indiscriminately by "brave and trained" soldiers is bullshit.

What irritates me about it is the way they announced that it would become a modern shooter at E3 as if that was an exciting and original concept.

Looks good! If its anythign liek the classic MoH i will be getting it. I fucking loved those games.

This looks a TON like BC2.

Looks a lot like BFBC.
Take control of certain points with a timer / blowing them up, and finally getting an airstrike? Seems familiar...

Also, the vid was somewhat funny because it seemed like you were only ever dieing! :P

Personally having both MW2 and BFBC2 I doubt I'll be picking this one up, looks pretty darn generic.

The Cheezy One:
video wasnt working. might be just me, ill try again in a bit
OT: i wonder if it will have ordering airstrikes on buildings where there may be terrorist because there are people in them? i dont know, this may be glamourising the war in afghanistan a bit, considering its still going on
it could be really insensitive to the families of soldiers and the afghan people that are dying there TODAY
im talking about the game in general, not this review

the game is set 10 years ago i think.

FallenJellyDoughnut:
To be honest it looks like a low quality Bad Company 2 with less features.

Basically this. It just looks like a boring rip-off, so I won't be bothering with it. Even if it wasn't, that video made it look rubbish. The BFBC2 graphics are better, the gameplay looks better, and "serious" FPS games set in the Middle East are just old hat now.

Steve Butts:

Read Full Article

The game looks very much like Battlefield because of the same developers, the same game engine, and the leveling up class system. Does it feel the same as bad company 2?

Someone needs a better rig. The gameplay was choppy. Great preview though

Two things. First off, to all those who keep commenting/complaining about how the multiplayer looks very similar to Bad Company 2, that is because it was designed by the same people who did Bad Company 2. And, really, the multiplayer in Bad Company 2 rocks. I find it much more entertaining than Modern Warfare 2 because it makes you think about what you're doing instead of relying on purely twitch reactions. You need to be tactical and work as a team otherwise you will lose. As always, you will have your griefers and your spawn-campers, but, overall, it does not detract from the game.

Medal of Honor looks like it has refined that multiplayer experience into something comparable, if not downright better, than Bad Company 2. All things aside, though, I just wanted to get across the point that yes, the multiplayer looks the same, because it essentially is the same. Now, please, enough with that.

Steve Butts:

Read Full Article

Secondly, it's interesting that Steve decided to mention the issue of the political content. We hear all manner of praise for games like Modern Warfare and the like, but the political ramifications and commentary voiced by such games is never really discussed. It's only when games like Six Days In Fallujah come to light that people start to talk about it, and it's usually to decry the issue as anti-patriotic and brand it as taboo.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure such a comment was needed for the multiplayer content. I mean, you obvious that it gave you pause for a moment or two and you felt it important enough to mention, I just don't know if doing so in regards to the multiplayer was the way to go. It doesn't seem like it would give people any more pause than playing the Axis side in WWII-based games, or playing the Militia side in MW2. I'd be interested to see what your thoughts on the topic are after the single-player is released, though.

My two cents.

This is nothing but a BC2 clone. I mean c'mon, it even has rush.

Since the game obviously is nowhere near completion, and is in CLOSED BETA TESTING of only the online play I'm willing to say that people shouldn't be giggling at the graphics, they will most likely be smoother out a lot before release, especially the character models.

I personally despised the online multiplayer of both MW (1 and 2) and BFBC2, the game was meant to be like a war between players, instead it's a clusterfuck of a small group of people running around hoping to kill a ton of people by surprise before dying. People don't normally like dying in real life, so a game that aims to portray something along those lines fails miserably when it's the only real way to play properly. BFBC2 was practically the same as MW only with more irritating characters and some of the most pathetic scenery destruction I've ever seen (anyone with the physics knowledge of a retarded 4 year old can tell you that shit just doesn't work that way; realistic scenery destruction will most likely not be here for at least a decade, because programming it now would take around 10 years before it was release ready, and by then there would be a new console generation).

I liked the more serious nature of this review compared to some others that have been posted on the escapist which will often just make me stop and cringe due to hearing some horrendously aggravating puns. The Escapist has always shown itself as a far less biased games site than others, even going as far to flat out say that someone that they promoted was lackluster (Alpha Protocol for one). But bringing up the political ideals was something I liked, but I do hope that it doesn't portray the soldiers are pure-heart heroes (some were downright monsters, but most were good men who went into a situation with next to no information). I personally think that it's nice to say where things are happening, quite frankly, if I were from one of the eastern nations that these modern games constantly reflect I'd be more offended by the annoying piss-ants tip-toeing around them insulting me instead of just coming out and saying it with what MIGHT be a fair story.

I may consider picking it up purely for the single player as I do on occasion enjoy playing MW and MW2 for their single player modes (and special ops mode is something I'd LOVE to see more of) when they aren't the most terribly gimmicky pieces of garbage (you know the sections I mean).

This is different from BFBC2 how exactly?

I'd rather have a hole drilled in my head than have anything to do with another generic brown mess of another modern warfare wannabe.

Godamnit, we get it already. It looks like Bad Company 2. WE KNOW. If you don't have anything else to add please shut the fuck up.

OT: I personally am glad they finally got the balls to put a name on the setting. I'm getting pretty sick of unspecifiedistan.

Ok, whomever was playing, either the footage was picked to showcase only your very worse moments or... oh dear...

That said, it's MW2... I passed on buying MW2 the first time around, don't see why I should buy it now.

matrix3509:
Godamnit, we get it already. It looks like Bad Company 2. WE KNOW. If you don't have anything else to add please shut the fuck up.

Actually, besides the icons, it looks like MW2, not BC2. Because it was basically DICE attempting to rip off MW2.

There are no walls or structures being blown up, there are all the retarded and obnoxiously obtrusive messages everytime you do ANYTHING at all, maps seem relatively "boxy", guns seem to kill in 2-3 bullets, gameplay seems dumbed down a lot (e.g.: no recoil)... etc.

So upset DICE got to work on it. It looks like a BC2 clone shot for shot.

Also, why would the Taliban have air strikes and mortar strikes to that degree? If it's going to be genuine, the Taliban need to have a terrain advantage, and no support. But of course DICE will just reskin them, give them AK's and call it a day. I loved BC2 Multiplayer. But I don't want another one so soon.

Also, those are supposed to be US Army Rangers? They are wearing US Marine camouflage. Army wears ACU Digital.

And is that Taliban guy using a copy and paste MG emplacement from BC2? Pretty sure the Taliban don't have any heavy machine guns with armored shields and bullet proof glass.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here