Review: Transformers: War for Cybertron

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Review: Transformers: War for Cybertron

The Transformers license can make for a darn good game - if the developers have the Touch.

Read Full Article

Well, certainly looks and sounds like something I would expect from a Psudo-Movie Francise point of view...

If I get bored in summer its something I can at least look at purchasing to keep me busy

This is something I have really been wanting to pick up. And all of the comparisons between this and Batman: Arkham Asylum as truly great game adaptions, only adds fuel to the fire. I would be able to get it now, if only I didn't need stuff like food. and rent. and WoW subscription.

I thought it was ok. The linearity of the entire campaign really killed it for me. But the action, ohh the action, is very solid, even with the weaker Decepticon side. I definitely thought this was a much much better representation of what Transformers as a game should be. Good on them!

Co-op mode is where it's at with this game. Make some friends and enjoy it on Hard Mode.

Really enjoying the multiplayer on this game. I am addicted to Scientist/Disguise. :) Good review though! Thanks.

"..........it's a game that fans of the Transformers will feel is made by them, for them."

Too right John. The lead designer of the game at High Moon Studios is a fan of the original cartoons, and wanted to make the game feel like an authentic Transformers game for gamers and Transformers fans alike, no just a wonky shadow of Bay's movies.

I guess he pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I was very much looking forward to this, but no split-screen play has kind of killed the co-op for me.

I was planning on winding away some days with the missus playing this, i'd assumed the co-op and horde mode bit would be splitscreen playable much like gears was.

:(

EDIT- then again I might get it when it comes down in price or get it pre-owned.

I'm really, really loving Transformers: War for Cybertron. I've always been a fan of Transformers and WFC is just an amazing adaptation.

However, I felt that the storyline missions weren't broken down enough. While I have no problem with games with length (I mean, who doesn't like more gameplay?) but the missions were ridiculously drawn out. If they had split every mission into two missions, I think that'd be better and more approachable, but it's hard to play campaign in short bursts, as chapters are widely spread out and the missions themselves take hours.

Other than that, and some balancing in the multiplayer, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the game. I love how they had less widely-known characters, and each has a familiar, yet distinct design. I'd like to see some DLC containing extra chassis for multiplayer, and a sequel wouldn't be too bad if they were really dedicated to it. Transformers: Year One, anyone?

Also, BLAM!

EDIT: I just realized I was signed into my old account that I thought I had lost.
Guess not.

^ That's my old account.

As a strange kind of Transformers Fan, one who never had any toys and did not see the animated representation, but absolutely loved the comics, i'm happy that this game is good AND is set entirely on Cybertron.

The Transformers concept itself might hinge on the whole "Robots in Disguise", and therefore "Alien Robots on Earth....in Disguise" thing, but i've always preferred the stories of endless war, impossibly over-the-top power struggles and desperate sacrifices on Cybertron over the "present" and more mundane Stories on Earth. I guess humans just tended to get too much in the way ^^.

The more I hear about this game, the more I'm inclined to put some cash aside for it. If it really is this much of a return to what makes Transformers awesome, I'm all for it.

My one complaint so far? I'd love to see more variety in multiplayer skins. And yes, I realize this is pretty petty all things considered, but it seems like everytime I play Team Deathmatch and pick Leader I get stuck with Soundwave's form, which isn't bad but I like my Optimus config better as well as having more variety with the Ironhide/Ratchet models. Hoping this is something we see in DLC later along with more maps.

That aside, I've had a ridiculous amount of fun with this game. And I haven't even tried Escalation yet.

Transformers was always an odd beast. It was one of the few shows from my youth (Ok...late-teens :P) where I could empathise with both sides. And that's why the Bay re-jerk hit me so hard.

But...

Even a jaded old cynic like myself can see the pure childhood beauty in this. If only everything in life could be as reliable as Bumblebee's car form.

What was that song at the end!? It sounded pretty bad ass >.>

OT: LOVE THIS GAME! I am trying to level my four classes equally and currently have them all at level 5. As for campaign I'm on chapter VIII still. This game inspired me to get season 1 of G1...which I haven't popped into the DVP yet and keep hearing is garbage xD It's all good though, Me Grimlock not care!

I gotta say that it looks and sounds good. But I'm not a Transformers fan and neither are most of my friends so I probably won't ever play it.

Shoggoth2588:
What was that song at the end!? It sounded pretty bad ass >.>

OT: LOVE THIS GAME! I am trying to level my four classes equally and currently have them all at level 5. As for campaign I'm on chapter VIII still. This game inspired me to get season 1 of G1...which I haven't popped into the DVP yet and keep hearing is garbage xD It's all good though, Me Grimlock not care!

It's called "'Til All Are One" by Stan Bush. He wrote "The Touch" and "Dare" for the 1986 animated Transformers film. It plays over the end credits to the game. And yes, it's awesome. :D

AvsJoe:
I gotta say that it looks and sounds good. But I'm not a Transformers fan and neither are most of my friends so I probably won't ever play it.

You don't really need to be a fan to enjoy this game. Being able to instantly change into a vehicle makes it a great multiplayer experience.

Wonderful wonderful review. I totally agree, especially in the paragraph you mentioning robots versus robots, nothing else. Pure metal bashing joy.

That's how Michael Bay should produce his movies. With less irritating and obnoxious humans and more metal grinding experience. Seriously, my Japanese girlfriend gave it to me and I am h o o k e d!

Only thing I dont understand, if it occurs 1000 years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms? That's the only real nitpick I see on premise.

I haven't played it yet and do plan on perhaps renting it.

Not a big transformers fan myself (before my time) but I realy liked this game though certain classes online are OP (tank) and others UP (scout) but otherwise it's a realy good game...
I'm suprised it's by activision.

tehroc:
Only thing I dont understand, if it occurs 1000 years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms? That's the only real nitpick I see on premise.

Thouse are the Cybertronian form... not the terran vehicules form, they look like the terran for but not exactelly

They are "Cybertronian vehicles" apparently.

Because they look funky and hover. I think.

tehroc:

http://gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.ImageFileViewer/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles.00.00.00.00.09/0407.optimus-vehicle.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Really? How many trucks like this have you seen on Earth? :)

They're supposed to be similar I think to the earth forms in relative size and shape, so Bumblebee looks like he could be close to a bug, but the design is cybertronian/alien. Or they just wanted something that looks cool.

i feel this needed to be posted

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:
Not a big transformers fan myself (before my time) but I realy liked this game though certain classes online are OP (tank) and others UP (scout) but otherwise it's a realy good game...

The classes aren't badly balanced at all, really. You might think soldiers are OP compared to scouts if your tactics as a scout are to try and take the soldier on face to face. Leaders can do that, especially with war cry (and their utterly brutal melee attack), Scouts and Scientists, well, can't. But if you're a scout, you have cloak, so you don't need to take the Soldier on face to face, and if you do then you deserve to lose, you cloak, run up behind him, whack him with your melee and then finish him with your shotgun. Or you can snipe him, a headshot with the Null Ray takes half the soldier's health off, and it doesn't exactly have a slow refire rate.

Indeed, the scout is basically the counter to the soldier, it's the one class the soldier is least able to deal with.

The classes aren't badly balanced at all, really. You might think soldiers are OP compared to scouts if your tactics as a scout are to try and take the soldier on face to face. Leaders can do that, especially with war cry (and their utterly brutal melee attack), Scouts and Scientists, well, can't. But if you're a scout, you have cloak, so you don't need to take the Soldier on face to face, and if you do then you deserve to lose, you cloak, run up behind him, whack him with your melee and then finish him with your shotgun. Or you can snipe him, a headshot with the Null Ray takes half the soldier's health off, and it doesn't exactly have a slow refire rate.

Indeed, the scout is basically the counter to the soldier, it's the one class the soldier is least able to deal with.

I'm suprised it's by activision.

The game is very balanced. Nothing is over or underpowered in this game. Almost every time I play the Scout, I'm either top or close to the top of my teams scoreboard. Hell, I went 10-2 in my very first match with the Scout.

The ticket to the scout is being versatile. Don't stop moving. Jump, barrel roll in car form and dash as much as you can when facing an enemy to throw off their aim. Tactically use your cloak ability so you don't get slaughtered.

OT: This game is the most fun I've had in a long time. Co-op is a freaking blast with friends and multiplayer is pretty easy to get the hang of. The only complaint I have is that they really need to work some connection issues that have been annoying me.

This looks pretty fun. Simple but full of robot on robot action and that's how I like it. Only thing though. How can they transform into vechiles if they haven't visited earth yet? I mean this guy was a transformers fan didn't he know they just transformed into generic space vechiles before hitting earth? Oh well I suppose that would kinda make things more generic looking and iconic designs a little less iconic. And that's all to the game? Just a dozen levels and multiplayer? Where's the sidequest invovling the dinobots or a secret level in which you can play as beast machines?

tehroc:

QFT. I mean, yea, they're "hovercars" or something, but I dunno... cars just seems weird on Cybertron well before earth came into the picture. I suppose you gotta stay within the canon, though, as seeing Bumblebee turn into a strange techno-speeder would feel wrong, too.

Of all the things reviewed though, the multiplayer sounds the most appealing. I, too, will have to rent it and check it out.

As a non-fan, I have to say that the gameplay looks pretty decent.

Probably not good enough to part me from my cash, but certainly not bad.

Anyone who is boggled as to why the Transformers turn into cars and stuff on Cybertron, ask yourselves this:

What should they transform into?

Popcicle42:

tehroc:

QFT. I mean, yea, they're "hovercars" or something, but I dunno... cars just seems weird on Cybertron well before earth came into the picture. I suppose you gotta stay within the canon, though, as seeing Bumblebee turn into a strange techno-speeder would feel wrong, too.

Of all the things reviewed though, the multiplayer sounds the most appealing. I, too, will have to rent it and check it out.

I actually felt quite relieved that Optimus&co didn't transform into old-fashioned earth vehicles, and turned instead into these high-tech hovercars.

Besides that, why should it bug you? Human-like features aren't built for speed anyway. If i could turn into a car, i would.

The one thing that annoys me about the game is that all the transformers (except the planes obvuously) all turn in to cars, trucks etc. However they dont drive on the floor they just hover about and strafe rather than turn so why do they have wheels?

Pipotchi:
The one thing that annoys me about the game is that all the transformers (except the planes obvuously) all turn in to cars, trucks etc. However they dont drive on the floor they just hover about and strafe rather than turn so why do they have wheels?

there's a button you can press that stops them hovering and uses there wheels for the extra speed >_<
while hovering you get to strife, but its much slower, with wheels down your pretty much limited to going forward.

also good review, I been playing this almost every day since it came out, and you really did the game justice. which makes since if your a TF fan like you seem to be.

GloatingSwine:
Anyone who is boggled as to why the Transformers turn into cars and stuff on Cybertron, ask yourselves this:

What should they transform into?

Damn good point. I own and have completed this game, big fan of the original series and for the first time since the ps2 game, I can say I really enjoyed a transformers game. Going back to the quote I copied, I read some of the Dreamwave comics and the designs the game team came up with aren't that far removed from what dreamwave depicted when they reinvented the cybertronian forms. Personally I liked the fact that the vehicles in the game (well the fast sporty ones anyway) hovered and drop down their wheels to a kind of magnetic wheel to stick to the planet as they thrust along. I thought it was clever and an interesting way of showing the old forms in new ways.

Anyways fantastic game and fast, frantic and fun multiplayer, I recommend it heartily!

Oh I saw this and thought I would share it with you guys, fantastic ad for those who get the reference! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkjNF9JSPE&feature=player_embedded

I got this yesterday. Totally lived up to the promises too. My only 2 complaints are the totally useless buddy AI and the relatively short amount of time you get to kick-ass in jet form. Could've done with a little bit more of Starscream, IMHO.

EDIT: Fortunately though, it's an Activision game (something I never thought I'd hear myself saying) so a sequel is probably already in the works.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here