Review: Transformers: War for Cybertron

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

GloatingSwine:
Anyone who is boggled as to why the Transformers turn into cars and stuff on Cybertron, ask yourselves this:

What should they transform into?

Exactly. Why would technology such as cars and jets be off limits to a race of hyper-advanced sentient robots? Besides, this is possibly the best way to deal with both transit and transportation - every bot has a fast and reliable way of getting from A to B much quicker than on foot, and extremely big bots could even transport smaller ones.

OT: As of right now, this game is my personal GotY. Even without the attached license it's a pretty good game, but the fanboy/nostalgia factor pushes this title right to the top for me. (That said, Darksiders and Alan Wake aren't far behind.)

Just literally completed the game and it's the best I've played to date, campaign is fun, not repetitive at all, the characters are good, but i would like the option to play as more transformers in the story mode and not just a choice of 3 for each mission. Multiplayer is great, although they have copied of MW2 a little with the kill streaks...but at least they are not over powered.

I also like how Optimus is the only transformer with the proper sound from the cartoons, or just about, meh Bumblebee should have that sound, isn't he like, the mascot of transformers? But mehh, still awesome XD

aside from little bugs it's amazing and i hope High Moon Studio's make more, or maybe Beast Wars?

Oooh btw the song at the end of the game is unreal, for geeks like me anyway XD

The gameplay itself is really kind of mediocre. But the story combined with the nostalgia of a real TF world make it a great game.

Was pretty freakin' awesome the first time I was playing co-op campaign with friends and we all transformed into car mode and sped away. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Wow, this is miraculous news. I'm sure Transformers fans were counting on having the franchise redeemed one of these days, but this soon? And with property used in the movie?? (Those butt-ugly designs look much better in a video game than they do on the silver screen.)

arc1991:
Oooh btw the song at the end of the game is unreal, for geeks like me anyway XD

Just finished it. I cried a little inside when it hit me :D

I love the game, especially happy that it has nothing to do with Bay or his abortions.

Not played it yet but apparently activision are keen to kill the horse and beat it already!

Honestly i'll probably never play this just because of it been an activision product!

He didn't mention it but the PS3 version is really laggy in multiplayer, like unbearably at most times.

KoreyGM:
He didn't mention it but the PS3 version is really laggy in multiplayer, like unbearably at most times.

really? only time it dose that for me is when i have the PC on to, other wise its fine.
great game though over all :3

Gotta be honest. Not a fan of the unchangeable keyboard layout on PC version.

Brilliant game, clocked both campaigns very nice explanation that could realistically be fitted to the majority of the transformers universes which is nice. I'm just getting into the multiplayer on ps3, not laggy at all I found, until my broadband capped and is too slow to join any games for now...

Times like these I hate NZ for having the worst internet on the planet! ><

Butterjaw:
Brilliant game, clocked both campaigns very nice explanation that could realistically be fitted to the majority of the transformers universes which is nice. I'm just getting into the multiplayer on ps3, not laggy at all I found, until my broadband capped and is too slow to join any games for now...

Times like these I hate NZ for having the worst internet on the planet! ><

But you have the prettiest girls! <3

KoreyGM:

Oh Thor yes. This game is a brilliant gem being shat on by horrible online connectivity and it's really pissing me off. I've barely been able to play today because it disconnects so much.

.[B@lL15T1C].:
I was very much looking forward to this, but no split-screen play has kind of killed the co-op for me.

I was planning on winding away some days with the missus playing this, i'd assumed the co-op and horde mode bit would be splitscreen playable much like gears was.

:(

EDIT- then again I might get it when it comes down in price or get it pre-owned.

yeah seriously...I was up and ready to make this one of two special games that I'll actually buy full-price when I found out there was no slit-screen co-op...yup sorry not paying full price for a single player game (online co-op doesn't count for me)

i just cant wait to get my dirty hands on this game.

I found Transformers: War For Cybertron to be very fun. It really seemed to be written for fans of the 80's cartoon show. The game-play was fun and the story was very good. Playing as Megatron and Optimus Prime was quite fun.

Picked this up on launch day and I've been very pleased. Great controls, some really fun fights, and a surprising amount of challenge. Some of the fights seemed ridiculously difficult until I figured out the trick, but even then it took some maneuvering on my part.

My only real nitpick is that I do feel the aerial combat as a jet in those levels is lacking any real way to dodge when transformed. You can do a barrel roll and move to the side, etc. but you'll still be hit while doing so. That's my only complaint, though, and otherwise it's a really fun game.

I think the multiplayer is pretty balanced, too. It's really a matter of using abilities in conjunction with one another and using the map to your advantage. As a Scientist and Scout you need to get the drop on people (or just snipe them if you're a Scout - lots of fairly easy kills that way). All in all the complete package is pretty good, and I'm looking forward to seeing what High Moon comes up with next.

Darth Sea Bass:
Not played it yet but apparently activision are keen to kill the horse and beat it already!

Honestly i'll probably never play this just because of it been an activision product!

You do realize Activision are only the publisher and had nothing to do with the making of the game, right?
T:WfC was developed by High Moon Studios, and many of those guys are dia-hard G1 fans.

Pipotchi:
The one thing that annoys me about the game is that all the transformers (except the planes obvuously) all turn in to cars, trucks etc. However they dont drive on the floor they just hover about and strafe rather than turn so why do they have wheels?

Have you played the game properly? They strafe and float around in hover-mode, but you just hit the left trigger/L2 and they drop down the wheels and drive as normal.

GloatingSwine:

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:
Not a big transformers fan myself (before my time) but I realy liked this game though certain classes online are OP (tank) and others UP (scout) but otherwise it's a realy good game...

The classes aren't badly balanced at all, really. You might think soldiers are OP compared to scouts if your tactics as a scout are to try and take the soldier on face to face. Leaders can do that, especially with war cry (and their utterly brutal melee attack), Scouts and Scientists, well, can't. But if you're a scout, you have cloak, so you don't need to take the Soldier on face to face, and if you do then you deserve to lose, you cloak, run up behind him, whack him with your melee and then finish him with your shotgun. Or you can snipe him, a headshot with the Null Ray takes half the soldier's health off, and it doesn't exactly have a slow refire rate.

Indeed, the scout is basically the counter to the soldier, it's the one class the soldier is least able to deal with.

Soldiers are massive and slow targets, easily blasted up by the scientist/scouts. I tend to play as the leader class, and soldiers really aren't very overpowered at all. The only problem I face is their whirlwind attack, though I've found a nice counter in 'disruption'. They come swinging, and are so easily caught off guard when forced into their vehicle-form.

Pretty much nothing is unfair in that game. As long as you play strategically, you can overcome anyone. It's incredibly satisfying.

GloatingSwine:
Anyone who is boggled as to why the Transformers turn into cars and stuff on Cybertron, ask yourselves this:

What should they transform into?

Giant guns that get fired by their incompitent soldiers who ultimately want to see them dead!!! D=<

In all seriousness, though, Cybertron had vehicle forms in the cartoon. The very first episode does have a bit of an interlude on Cybertron and it does show a few Transformers with cybertronian vehicle forms. So there you go.

OT: Game is awesome. Multiplayer is balanced, single players gives you a good challenge, visuals are stunning especially with the constantly moving parts in the world and on the robots and the "Horde" mode is fairly difficult as well. Overall, good difficulty curve without being impossible = transition back to real gaming. At least, real gaming how I see it.

Sonicron:

Darth Sea Bass:

You do realize Activision are only the publisher and had nothing to do with the making of the game, right?
T:WfC was developed by High Moon Studios, and many of those guys are dia-hard G1 fans.

Yeah the game probably is good but that's despite it been published by activision not because of it.

Guarentee if this sells at all well activision will get them working on war for cybertron 2: Modern war for cybertron. and then another and another.

I just have this strange feeling that they shouldn't have been Earth vehicles, until they are here. Actually, I always thought it was weird, until I saw beast wars.

This is something Beast Wars did right. They were just robots until the landed on the planet and searched for appropriate forms as disguises. If they were cars and jets they'd just stand out.

I guess I'd rather they just used generic carish/jetish/tankish things, but then it still wouldn't be right according to G1 canon.

I dunno what I'm trying to say...

Darth Sea Bass:

Yeah the game probably is good but that's despite it been published by activision not because of it.

Guarentee if this sells at all well activision will get them working on war for cybertron 2: Modern war for cybertron. and then another and another.

Don't worry, if Michael Bay actually makes Transformers 3 the last one, WfC won't be "exploitable" anymore and dropped immediately, it's the Activision way.

Darth Sea Bass:

Sonicron:

Darth Sea Bass:

Some how, I doubt High Moon Studio's would, and if they did, it would be set on earth.

Activision has had very little input on this, literally all they have done is published it. High moon have done most of the work along with Hasbro, Hell this game has been classed by Hasbro as the Official prequel to the cartoons.

also they are creating toys based off the designs that High Moon created. tbh i think they did an excellent job

orangeapples:

This is something Beast Wars did right. They were just robots until the landed on the planet and searched for appropriate forms as disguises. If they were cars and jets they'd just stand out.

Although, of course, in Beast Wars they were on an otherwise completely uninhabited planet, so it wouldn't have mattered what the fuck they looked like. Also, y'know, if you're trying to blend in anywhere except Australia being a twenty foot long spider is not the way to do it.

I will get this game in memory of all the awesome potential that was mercilessly slaughtered by Micheal Bay for the movies.

God I hate that credits song.

Not only does it sound bad but.. someone didn't do their homework...

"Transformers, defenders of truth"

The Decepticons are transformers too... that line is flawed.

Edit:

tehroc:
Only thing I don't understand, if it occurs 4 million years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms?

Fixed. Also, as many have said, they are cybertronian vehicles. If you watch the original show, their vehicular forms were hover cars and jets and the like before they came to earth.

Hell, Soundwave was a lamp post. That's part of my biggest beef with the game is the little mistakes in story. But I can easily overlook it due to the fact that every transformers game before it has let me down MUCH greater than that. Frankly... it's fun... and that's what matters.

And lastly (till the next time) Stan Bush did that song?! I'm so disappointed right now...

Editx2:

orangeapples:

Actually, they didn't take on beast modes to hide, they took them to protect themselves from the high amounts of energon that existed on the planet.

I'm getting the impression that no one seemed to understand the history of the transformers and that's the problem we are running into with the vehicle forms.

Cybertron was built by the Quintessons to be a giant factory and created the transformers as factor workers. At that time, they were just robots, they did not transform. Eventually, the robots rebelled and the Quintessons fled. There was peace on the planet for a while, then the military grade robots (later known as the Decepticons) wanted to be in charge, while the factory workers (Aka Autobots) resisted their tyrannical rule. The Autobots invented a means to hide themselves from their enemies, and thus the first Transformers were born. They really were robots in disguise, and it had nothing to do with hiding from humans. They were hiding from their enemies. The Decepticons soon followed suit when the advantages of being able to transform were seen.

If this game takes place before transformers go to earth, why do they still transform to earth like vehicles? In fact why do they even need to transform in their own planet?

poiumty:

Popcicle42:

tehroc:
Only thing I dont understand, if it occurs 1000 years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms? That's the only real nitpick I see on premise.

I haven't played it yet and do plan on perhaps renting it.

QFT. I mean, yea, they're "hovercars" or something, but I dunno... cars just seems weird on Cybertron well before earth came into the picture. I suppose you gotta stay within the canon, though, as seeing Bumblebee turn into a strange techno-speeder would feel wrong, too.

Of all the things reviewed though, the multiplayer sounds the most appealing. I, too, will have to rent it and check it out.

I actually felt quite relieved that Optimus&co didn't transform into old-fashioned earth vehicles, and turned instead into these high-tech hovercars.

Besides that, why should it bug you? Human-like features aren't built for speed anyway. If i could turn into a car, i would.

I suppose it's more that a civilation built entirely by robots can transform into other, faster forms... and they choose something that looks like a 90's Audi TT with hoverwheels. For a race of mechanical aliens 1000 years in the past, I'd think they'd look more... alien? But, as I said, it would look even stranger to see him be a Camero with wheels, and Shia LaBouf in the driver's seat, so I'll accept the hovercar happily over that! Plus, you want some sort of connection with the characters you already have... if Bumblebee didn't turn into something car-like and yellow, then I guess he wouldn't really be Bumblebee, would he!

That said, I guess you could say the same for the "human" form, too... why not a spider walker, or tripod, or something else? Two arms, two legs, human-ish face. But that's the imagery of Transformers, and I wouldn't want someone messing with a part of my childhood too much.

As for turning into a car... well, depends on the car. I'll take a pass if I turn into my crappy Honda Civic, but if I could turn into a Bugati Veyron...

O-o..What was the name of the song that was playing at the end of the video?...O-o..and where can I find it?

Ok so the only other beef with this game I have is the current server issues. The connection rate is quite poor and it's crippling this otherwise AMAZING game.

Draconalis:
God I hate that credits song.

Not only does it sound bad but.. someone didn't do their homework...

"Transformers, defenders of truth"

The Decepticons are transformers too... that line is flawed.

Edit:

tehroc:
Only thing I don't understand, if it occurs 4 million years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms?

Fixed. Also, as many have said, they are cybertronian vehicles. If you watch the original show, their vehicular forms were hover cars and jets and the like before they came to earth.

Hell, Soundwave was a lamp post. That's part of my biggest beef with the game is the little mistakes in story. But I can easily overlook it due to the fact that every transformers game before it has let me down MUCH greater than that. Frankly... it's fun... and that's what matters.

And lastly (till the next time) Stan Bush did that song?! I'm so disappointed right now...

Editx2:

orangeapples:

Actually, they didn't take on beast modes to hide, they took them to protect themselves from the high amounts of energon that existed on the planet.

I'm getting the impression that no one seemed to understand the history of the transformers and that's the problem we are running into with the vehicle forms.

Cybertron was built by the Quintessons to be a giant factory and created the transformers as factor workers. At that time, they were just robots, they did not transform. Eventually, the robots rebelled and the Quintessons fled. There was peace on the planet for a while, then the military grade robots (later known as the Decepticons) wanted to be in charge, while the factory workers (Aka Autobots) resisted their tyrannical rule. The Autobots invented a means to hide themselves from their enemies, and thus the first Transformers were born. They really were robots in disguise, and it had nothing to do with hiding from humans. They were hiding from their enemies. The Decepticons soon followed suit when the advantages of being able to transform were seen.

Thank you, just mentioned everything I was going to bring up, especially the bit about the Beast Wars. I'd also like to add that the cybertronians in Beast Wars did have vehicle modes, you just never see them in their cybertronian form during the show. For instance, Dinobot (Raptor) was Dynobot on cybertron and his alternate mode was a digger of sorts.

The one thing that really aggravates me about this game is that there is no offline multiplayer. They raved about this game being build for multiplayer (aka, it would have a short story) and I hoped they wouldn't make the whole bloody thing online. Really wanted to play this game split screen with my Wife, but they must think no one who's interested in a Transformers gave has any real life friends who would come over to play.

Butterjaw:

Thank you, just mentioned everything I was going to bring up, especially the bit about the Beast Wars. I'd also like to add that the cybertronians in Beast Wars did have vehicle modes, you just never see them in their cybertronian form during the show. For instance, Dinobot (Raptor) was Dynobot on cybertron and his alternate mode was a digger of sorts.

I was actually going to mention that... but I wonder sometimes. It might have just been the CGI of the 90s, but their "protoform" modes didn't look like they had an alternate form. Especially when you consider what a massive Cybertronian nerf "The Great Upgrade" was. I know they should have alternate forms... but I debate if they really did.

Hell, after the war was over, and peace reigned for as long as it did... why would they need alternate modes for which to hide, anyway?

Burgertime:
The one thing that really aggravates me about this game is that there is no offline multiplayer. They raved about this game being build for multiplayer (aka, it would have a short story) and I hoped they wouldn't make the whole bloody thing online. Really wanted to play this game split screen with my Wife, but they must think no one who's interested in a Transformers gave has any real life friends who would come over to play.

Well, you could always play campaign with her...*shrugs*

I was actually going to mention that... but I wonder sometimes. It might have just been the CGI of the 90s, but their "protoform" modes didn't look like they had an alternate form. Especially when you consider what a massive Cybertronian nerf "The Great Upgrade" was. I know they should have alternate forms... but I debate if they really did.

Hell, after the war was over, and peace reigned for as long as it did... why would they need alternate modes for which to hide, anyway?

Well they'd evolved that way, the alternate forms were just part of their make up. And clearly they adapted it to become anything, hence the beast forms and also plant forms in Beast Machines. They were able to survive on any planet due to their ability to adapt via alternate forms.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)