Zero Punctuation: E3 2010

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

JaredXE:
Another bloody Kid Icarus too. Can't forget that, Yahtzee.

Can't really say that its ANOTHER Kid Icarus considering how there has only been 1 game in the series as far as I know.

Well, that was the funniest one in a while.

And it's good to have a clear idea of Yahtzee's take on motion control, rather than what just seemed to be general hate up until now.

I can't really bring myself to believe he went an entire video without insulting Nintendo, kudos to him?

I can't wait until Metal Gear Solid: Rising. I hope I have enough time to finish I, II, III, and IV.

Watching zero is way more fun drunk... however no foster's sorry yahtzee

I disagree with the idea of gaming branching out into mainstream audiences is a bad idea. That said, I get what he's saying about motion controls and 3D. I think Roger Ebert said that the problem with 3D is that it was only really good for action and children's fantasy films, and that it adds nothing to serious films. Motion controls are fun in their own way, but how could they improve something like Bioshock or Mass Effect?

What about Another Bloody Super Mario... oh snap! too late, it's already out.

Krion_Vark:

JaredXE:

Can't really say that its ANOTHER Kid Icarus considering how there has only been 1 game in the series as far as I know.

Two technically. Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters came out on the Game Boy in 1991.

Blegh, Rebecca Mayes. I was excited when I saw the episode was 8 min long, and then I was disappoint.

Also, yeah. E3 fucking sucked. It sucking fucked. It was badong. I'll be replaying a lot of old games this year. Or work through my enormous backlog. With my opposable thumbs.

Yahtzee really said it better than I ever could. Motion controls need to fuck off and die. I can't even be excited for the new Zelda, and I'm a huge Zelda fan. I just won't play it with anything other then a conventional input device. I am not going to stand up and flail my arms around like a twat. I laughed at the wasp-comment.

Please let this retarded gimmicky bullshit die in a fire as soon as possible.

VGFreak1225:

Krion_Vark:

JaredXE:

Two technically. Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters came out on the Game Boy in 1991.

So it's not the same game? Thanks for that, I'm going to go buy it now

sorry i love your videos are great but this one took it in a bad place it is just not funnny but fucked up and pointless. what i am saying is do it right or not at all

Wow. I never knew so many people had such difficulty in ignoring unwanted stuff. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Better yet, don't comment about it. It's kind of close to those people who love the PS3 games but cannot play Mass Effect, and so they comment on Mass Effect Youtube vids about how much it sucks.

As for Yahtzee, plenty of laughs. Though I have to admit I would've wanted him to comment on more of the third party games. I hope there's a part 2.

Am I the only person who's video is 5 mins long?
I can't see the video!
and i also wished he would have talked about the third party games some more

I thought Rebecca's song was OK, at first anyway, wasnt great, but it wasnt terrible... then it got the repetition... is it okay... is it okay... is it okay. Or whatever it was. Got crap really fast after that. She isnt actually bad at what she does, I dont like it but I can understand why someone might, but her method seems pretty lazy.

*shrugs*

Would of liked more Yahtzee, I must admit.

Kungfu_Teddybear:

puchead:
FIRST!!!! HAHAHA

When are people going to relise doing this gets you a ban.

OT: loved what he said about the Playstation Move XD

But yeah, i never liked motion controls on the Wii and i'm not going to like them on the PS3 or Xbox either.

uhh I don't really care about Firsters much. when I was like 11 I just started going on to the regularly I saw a firster and thought it was something competed for on the the internet,to Know you were the first one to find that video, but i realize it didn't matter because being the first to find something doesn't make you good but firster haters are far more annoying because they waste their bloody time thinking witty insults and setting up policies to ban them and such when all the firster are doing is saying "I got here first". I fear that I will start to be even more annoying still. How many layers of wasted time must there be

STOP THE CYCLE PEOPLE

ALSO MORE LAYERS MEANS MORE SPACE

Pinefresh Snow:
Am I the only person who's video is 5 mins long?
I can't see the video!
and i also wished he would have talked about the third party games some more

Same here.

Pinefresh Snow:
-snip-

Finch58:
-snip-

Yea, it looks like they took the song off of the end. I wonder why they would do that.

The wasp thing got me, made me lolZ

Cheers Yahtzee

period jokes are not cool

even while i liked the episode 2 things i found rather stupid. firsht the part where he said that no game nintendo is releasing can not be prefixed with the words anoter bloody.
how about kid icarus or kirby who hasent had a proper platformer sinch 2000.
and a bloody dk? where the hell have you been the last one was in 2004 with jungle beat i dont count the new play control one.and the 3d i do agree that 3d in cinemas sucks.but what nintendo is doning is good there doning 3d without glasses i find that rather immersive. it more or less getting you the feeling that your looking trough a guy behind the hero rather than some floating camera.still a good episode

Well that was a bit dissapoitning he mostly only talked about motion control and I don't need someone to make up jokes about how bad it is, I already did that before E3. I was hoping for more info on the actual games but he only mentioned three of them at the end.

Wow. Remind me never to try to achieve popularity on the internet. I don't really like having about 9 pages of largely unwarranted hate forced at me.
Anyway. I found this one to be rather amusing, as it always seems to be. Agreed with point A, disagreed with point C, etc etc.
Yahtzee videos seem to be that dependable fun thing- amorphous, it just chills until I want it, and them it suits my needs in pretty yellow light for five minutes, then goes away to sleep. Nothing too surprising, just an excellent time. And I would not have it any other way.

I agree; 3D and motion sensors are to films and video games as pop-up books are to literature.

shotgunjoe:
Very good, although Rebecca Mayes is annoying as fuck, not funny at all.

Rebecca is lovely and her songs are hilarious just in a different way to Mr offensive yatzee.

What's equally funny is that apparently the Kinect can't read black people's or dark colored clothes, movements XD Just watch Angry Joe and Spoony's video of it.

I'm going to give you some reasons as to why comedy and music don't mix very well, and why Rebecca Mayes fails at what she tries to do.

The problem with musical comedy is that it usually boils down to watering down both art forms. In any type of music, if you choose to bring any instrument to the forefront (whether that be vocals, guitar, drums, etc.) the instrumentation that goes behind that cannot do anything too interesting lest it overtakes the "main focus" of the song. In most comedy music this comes down to the delivery of the vocals, and so all the music behind that has to be blander than the lyrics, as they are the focus.

In terms of the comedy being watered down, you have to find a metre of the line and stick to it so that the rhythm of the song is not messed up, and the rhyme scheme also comes into this. In this sense it is hard to come up with elaborate jokes that incorporate effective timing, which is pretty much the basis of all comedy. You end up with people trying to squeeze in bad jokes that they cannot elaborate on, which do not sound good in the context of the music anyway because they also have to worry about the aforementioned rhyme scheme, and usually (especially in the case of Rebecca Mayes) this doesn't really come into their thought process much. What you're left with is a song that sounds childish, and is a cut below any other kind of songwriting.

This is not to say that music should not have a sense of humour, it most certainly should, infact it is one of the most important things to convey in music. However, this is achieved a lot more subtly than simply singing bad jokes. Strapping Young Lad, for instance, do not sing jokes. They are, however, a very funny band. They mock the pomp and "seriousness" of the metal scene without it damaging the music, because it is never foregrounded. The music and production come first. It is simply in the periphery of the listener at all times. It is ironic that music that out and out tries to be funny in actuality is much less humorous than a band that simply poke a bit of fun at things that are on their mind.

Tenacious D are actually an effective example of comedy and music being mixed. They are seen as a comedy band, although I would say they were a legitimate musical group who happen to do comedy as well. If you listen to the first album, there are a couple of out and out comedy songs (which I believe are the least effective on the album), but the rest don't really have jokes, as much as it has lyrics that simply aren't that serious. The music is good, and there is a good sense of humour about it. The comedy in this case comes from the skits, which are very funny and well written. This is not mixing comedy and music as much as it is compiling them together. The music is decent, and the comedy skits separate to that are funny. If they were merged somehow, then I believe each part would be significantly damaged.

In all of these senses, this is where I believe Rebecca Mayes, and most other comedy acts fail. The mixing of music and out and out comedy puts too much focus on poorly written lyrics, and so ends up watering down both the music and the comedy.

Sorry for the rant, it is just something that gets to me. Plus there's also the fact that if Rebecca Mayes didn't do comedy I would still find her voice annoying as fuck. Also, if you're offended by Yahtzee then you clearly don't have a sense of humour and thus do not have any idea of what is funny anyway. Hope this helped.

Finally, someone else who thought E3 was an abortion of bad ideas fused with games that were little more than sequels!

sephiroth1991:
I now no longer need explain my feelings towards motion controllers and 3D, cos Yahtzee sumed it up nicely.

I'm worried that Mr.Kojima is goin a bit too far with MGS, he's announcing somthin' new at TGS and i bet it's another game with Metal and Gear in the title.

No way, it'll be Zone of the Enders 3, I just know it.

Eponet:

sephiroth1991:
I now no longer need explain my feelings towards motion controllers and 3D, cos Yahtzee sumed it up nicely.

I'm worried that Mr.Kojima is goin a bit too far with MGS, he's announcing somthin' new at TGS and i bet it's another game with Metal and Gear in the title.

No way, it'll be Zone of the Enders 3, I just know it.

I hope it's somethin new, i'm a big fan of Metal Gear but i can't handle any more bullshit with that new rising thing it seems that Konami are makin one last ditch effort to cash in on the franchise.

I wouldn't mind a new Snatcher thou.

EDIT:I should be noted the Mr.Kojima is not directing or writing rising so i can't call it a MGS game.

Clockwork emotion simulators that run on money... Yahtzee, you can sure sling some fine rhetoric. Well done.

Well I walked out of that review thinking, "I don't mind Rebecca. She has a nice style which maybe gets repetative but I don't mind."

Having seen the half wits randomly yelling "OMG SHE IS SINGING SHE MUST THEREFORE SUCK BLA BLA BLA MY MOM IS ALSO MY SISTER BLA BLA BLA" I can now only conclude that she is the greatest musicican I have ever seen.

the last thing im gonna do is star jumping around in my room like a twat only to suffer muscle seizures and then lose the game.

when these controls are released i can imagine the creators wondering why they only seem to be selling to family packs and casual gamers and not any real gamers.

its just not gonna work.

we know it
yahtzee knows it

The onlyones who don't know it are the creators who believe we will pay out of our arses to swallow down any magic load of crap they deem to gift us with but then wonder why we suddenly projectile vomit all of it all over them.

Aww i was hoping for a little reflection on Mortal Kombat!

Infact no, he would butcher it.

Hideo Kojima has nothing to do with MGS: Rising.

yahtzee, go to UK, she seems legit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or