Zero Punctuation: E3 2010

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Haha that was fun. I have to say, I (which looks kind of like a spaceship in html) happen to like Raiden as much as Kojima. MGS 2 was my first foray into the MGS series, and I must say that I found original Raiden interesting as a protagonist to get brain raped by everyone else.

I kind of wish instead of making new technology Nintendo would just focus on making some good new games. I'm not saying they haven't made good games in recent years, I'm saying I have never had a DS because every time I turn around the current version is obsolete and there's a new one on the horizon. It's incredibly frustrating because developers tend to immediately abandon the old'un in favour of the new'un, and sometimes the systems will be backwards compatible but not always and sometimes new games will work on older systems but they look like garbage and GRAH. I don't care about 3D; I care about not having to buy a new system every freaking year.

But, whatever. It's not like the DS has any exclusive titles I've been chomping at the bit to play. I'm old and lame, so all I really want is to play Earthbound or Breath of Fire 2 again.

Enjoyed this episode as always.

On motion controls - I'm sure there'll be a market for it, it just won't include me. I'm sure I'll still be able to find games I enjoy playing. Yes, not every game will be to my taste, but that's true now. So, I'm kind of indifferent to it, but Yahtzee's hyperbole makes me laugh.

On 3D - I'm not sure I'd call is a gimmick, more a technology in it's infancy. It's the first steps on the way to the holodeck. I'm not sure I want a holodeck, to be honest. Isn't that the ultimate motion controller? For my preferred genre of racing sims, I think good, realistic depth perception will be a real boon, though. For now, all I get is eyestrain.

The Peter Molyneux reference made me laugh. He's a weird dude. He reminds me of a cross between a PR spewing robot and a Sunday School teacher that fiddles little boys. But he gave the world Populous 2, so that covers a lot of sins.

On Ms. Mayes - The song is no longer tacked on, but after reading this thread I had to watch it out of pure curiosity. Nice enough tune and her voice is ok, although I'm not a fan of female vocalists generally, but the tone and sentiment behind it was, well, weird.

DeathWyrmNexus:

Finally, as for the song itself, it reminded me all too much of the "exgirlfriend or angry stalker getting back at their target of rage" vibe, which is all too uncomfortable for me on a personal level. It feels like I am watching two people having a tiff in public except I am only seeing one side of it and thus have no perspective. All I have is the fact that I am technically a fan of Yahtzee and I have no truffing idea what this chic is on about.

The screwdriver at the end just cemented that whole vibe for me. If it is a joke, I don't get the punchline as it feels too "inside" for me. If it isn't a joke, I am perplexed at the point of it all.

Well said. The song seems kind of mean spirited and personal to me. I'm not sure how well she knows Yahtzee beyond what he posts publicly here, but I dare say it's 'not at all', which makes it even weirder. I realise Yahtzee can come across as mean spirited too, but I honestly think that's a misinterpretation of someone that merely speaks the truth as he sees it in no uncertain terms, with a dash of hyperbole and potty humour thrown in, which I always find to be an enjoyable mix, without directing it at anyone personally. ie. he rags on what people do, not who they are, which is the opposite of what Ms. Mayes is doing.

I do know that if Yahtzee's anything like me, he probably doesn't really care for this kind of pap psychoanalysis from a woman he doesn't even know. I know it bugged me when my wife (now ex-wife) did it, let alone a complete stranger. I guess that's one of the costs of fame. Still, I respect him for not dignifying it with a response, and if I were him I'd be keeping my distance from her.

Lastly...

solidstatemind:
But really... the arrogance of casting aspersions on someone else's motives in a public forum without even having the sense to do a little research is simply staggering.

Do you realise you've just described that song to a tee?

"At least they have a soul, not a clockwork emotion simulator that runs on money".

Fuckin brilliant

I find it funny that the very companies and magazines that laughed at Nintendo for committing to motion control are NOW jumping on the M.C. bandwagon; while Nintendo is saying "That's great... for 5 years ago! We're on to something else now."

It reminds me of that scene from Ironman where Tony Stark sits before the senate and laughs at all the other companies that are trying to catch up with him.

Motion controls shouldn't go away. They certainly shouldn't replace traditional controllers, but gaming is all about games, and much like one kid enjoys playing tag while another kid gets into a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos, there are plenty of different venues. I still prefer playing things on a PC, but I'm not above going to an arcade and plopping a few quarters into House of the Dead, because I like the little plastic guns. The success of the Wii, and the fact that it hit a different market while the traditional gamer market largely complained, should show that it isn't really an evolution, or the next step, but a branch off into a whole different set up. Now, I would agree that the industry itself is just milking motion controls for all they are worth, as there is nothing they like more than a gimmicky whore, but complaining about motion controls is no better than the mouse and keyboard vs. console controller argument.

Oh, and the song by Mayes was pretty well done, although if she's really getting offended at ironic usage of misogyny that often is in place to mock the people that actually view women in that light... well, as much as I enjoy her music she is a bit of a fruity hippy, and they've never been known for taking jokes all too well.

JaredXE:
Because he hates sequels. Mostly because even if the sequel improves things from the first game, it has an inherent lack of originality by virtue of being a sequel.

He said that he hated remakes, not sequels per se.

Why is Rebecca Mayes against Yahtzee? Personally, I think she has a little crush on him and wants to make out with him some time. It's hard to think of many girls who wouldn't be wanting to make out with Yahtzee and his sweet hat right now... #ahem#

According to mayes, she's reacting to his "overuse" of mysogynistic (anti-female) humour. Seriously, watch Yahtzee's review of The Sims 3 some time... some people get touchy about that sort of stuff. I don't think Yahtzee needs to worry though, it was more likely a nosebleed from his brain imploading at the though of how much cash EA is going to rake in with that franchise, that couldn't get out enough holes. It's happens sometimes.

Yahtzee and Mayes would make a sweet power couple. of course, if they are busy making out, she won't be able to sing, so that's win-win for everybody, especially if we get to watch, right? Silver lining, people - there is ALWAYS a silver lining! :D

Concerning Nintendo and their lack of innovation: if you think about it, they learned very early on not to innovate. Think about the first two sequels of major 1st party games they had: Mario 2 (in before "you noob, that wasn't a sequel!") and Zelda 2. Both quite innovative, both panned as bad.

I'm as against Nintendo's "casual" agenda as much as the next guy - as a matter of fact, as a former competitive SSBMelee player, I'm more against it than some - but it is what it is. Regardless, I'll play the new Metroid, and a slew of people will play the other retreads.

So, they'll keep making them

captain underpants:
snip

... Okay, now I am a bit more pissed off. I just got a badge for watching another Rebecca Muse video because of this damn set up.

I has an angry as I now have a double reminder that I watched something I didn't want to watch.

Aaaah, inner childs. Mine really took a long time to drown...

captain underpants:
Lastly...

solidstatemind:
But really... the arrogance of casting aspersions on someone else's motives in a public forum without even having the sense to do a little research is simply staggering.

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. I'm sure Mayes did plenty of research on Yahtzee before composing the song, and as proof of this, she even solicited suggestions for the song from ZP watchers at the end of one of the earlier ZP videos, as well as via a less-direct method (news post here on the site).

If you hadn't redacted the quote of what I said to suit your needs, you would see that I was berating the guy I was quoting for making assumptions about the motivations behind the song and how much effort went into it, but most of all, in regards to his snide, myopic attitude. Hilariously, you're now guilty of almost the exact same thing-- at least when it comes to the 'making assumptions' part, although you certainly had a less arrogant attitude about it...

Like he said, MS and Sony just need to get this motion control nonsense out of their systems so we can move on to better things. I really hope both move and kinect are colossal flops. Motion controls are horrible in their current state. They're imprecise, provide no feedback, and you just end up flailing your arms around like an idiot. Nintendo isn't even pursuing them much these days. They just seem content to continue rehashing their old franchises as they've always done.

He's also right about 3D. It another passing fad that the movie industry is pushing due to dwindling audiences in theaters. This is because HDTVs have gotten cheap and gigantic and provide a similar experience to the theater.

*cough* portal 2 *cough*

I wanted to hear what he thought of portal 2.

Hrmm...funny that I was still expecting a bit more a response than a repost of Rebecca's song, oh well...

Still, I never was interested in most E3 introductions, as they're really quite boring.

There are a few games That I heard, that came from the mouthes of G4 while I was idly changing the channels, and there were a few new ones that I wanted to try....but I can't remember their names...still, if G4 shows more interesting things than E3.....

WOU!

Motion controller + headset. I just can walk around screaming "JASON!"
This is imersion!

Skoldpadda:
Yahtzee really said it better than I ever could. Motion controls need to fuck off and die. I can't even be excited for the new Zelda, and I'm a huge Zelda fan. I just won't play it with anything other then a conventional input device. I am not going to stand up and flail my arms around like a twat. I laughed at the wasp-comment.

Please let this retarded gimmicky bullshit die in a fire as soon as possible.

Still never played a Wii, huh? You can play Twilight Princess sitting on your ass and moving only your wrists.

Yahtzee you charismatic stallion you make Wednesdays worth living

I agree with almost everything, even though Yahtzee was somewhat contradictory in his Kintec and Move things....But regardless, I like Raiden, so BLAH. And it wasn't specifically Hideo Kojima, he was too busy to give a half-damn while working on Peace Walker.

llAVALANCHEll:

If Yahtzee were to stop expressing those opinions, he would have to stop talking about those topics all together. Also, if Yahtzee were to change his own opinion to meet your demands, he wouldn't be a reliable, unbiased, and honest critic anymore; he would then be demoted to the level a Gamespot employee. In addition, if you are tired of Yahtzee talking about motion controls and franchise rehashes, then stop watching the videos.

I'll stop bitching about Yahtzee when he sticks to bashing the game in question in his reviews and only the game. Plus half of his opinions on E3 this year are the same grossly over exaggerated complaints I hear from Sony fanboys in their numerous smear campaigns against the Wii and the 360.

But yeah I'm just about ready to actually STOP watching Yahtzee. He's making me laugh less and pissing me off more in recent videos. And I don't just mean the ones on the Wii either.

SAMAS:

Skoldpadda:
Yahtzee really said it better than I ever could. Motion controls need to fuck off and die. I can't even be excited for the new Zelda, and I'm a huge Zelda fan. I just won't play it with anything other then a conventional input device. I am not going to stand up and flail my arms around like a twat. I laughed at the wasp-comment.

Please let this retarded gimmicky bullshit die in a fire as soon as possible.

Still never played a Wii, huh? You can play Twilight Princess sitting on your ass and moving only your wrists.

I can also play TP sitting on my ass and using normal controls like I've done for fucking ages (on the GC).

I have played a Wii. I hated it. I kept smacking the nunchuck wire in my face and knocking the beer off the table.

Motion controls are retarded. End of fucking story.

solidstatemind:

captain underpants:
Lastly...

solidstatemind:

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. I'm sure Mayes did plenty of research on Yahtzee before composing the song, and as proof of this, she even solicited suggestions for the song from ZP watchers at the end of one of the earlier ZP videos, as well as via a less-direct method (news post here on the site).

Fair point, although I was more concerned about the 'casting aspersions in a public forum' thing than the research thing.

solidstatemind:
If you hadn't redacted the quote of what I said to suit your needs, you would see that I was berating the guy I was quoting for making assumptions about the motivations behind the song and how much effort went into it, but most of all, in regards to his snide, myopic attitude. Hilariously, you're now guilty of almost the exact same thing-- at least when it comes to the 'making assumptions' part, although you certainly had a less arrogant attitude about it...

I'm making no assumptions. I just thought that it was funny that you berate someone for questioning someone's motives, when it seems to me that that's the whole point of the song you're defending.

As for the motivation for the song itself, I honestly don't know for sure. I've seen some people claim that she was doing it 'ironically' in that she was using Yahtzee's own methods against him. I guess that's possible, but if so it's kind of an inept attempt at it. I think I've got a pretty good eye for humour, and even Yahtzee himself seems uncertain on the matter, so I'm sticking with the 'bitter ex' theory for now. 'Many a true word is said in jest' and all that.

DeathWyrmNexus:

... Okay, now I am a bit more pissed off. I just got a badge for watching another Rebecca Muse video because of this damn set up.

I has an angry as I now have a double reminder that I watched something I didn't want to watch.

LOL. You should have logged out before watching it. ;)

Dunno if it's just me, but was the guitar at the beginning of this episode slightly different than the others?

Good episode, but you ignored the great DLC showcased at E3. Although most companies are advertising 3D and motion sensors as the next evolution in gaming I believe that DlC is the true next step. The cost reduction from eliminating most production expenses not only benefits us consumers but the game creators as well, if a DLC revolution occurs then the need for big production companies will be greatly diminished and game designers will be allowed more artistic freedom.

Haha, funny video as usual .. i specially loved the peter part ... it was hilarious XD

+few things to note

1-Kojima has nothing to do with the design of the new MGS:Rising and its watermelon-slicing-salad-making Raiden ... it's another guy from the Kojima production team who will be directing this one ... Kojima himself is just a producer (as he is to all "Kojima production" games) and Kojima himself will be working on another new game he will announce soon (hopefully ZOE3 not MGS5)

2-Motion controls are here to stay ... i didn't like Yahtzee complaining about lack of mature games on the Kinect (somebody change that stupid name already .. the kids are gonna have a hard time with it XD) then he also complains when PS3 Move having mature games .. so he is just complaining either way (guess he just hates motion controls) .. but fact is .. if i had 15 games that control with a typical controller i wouldn't mind having some variety and being able to play 4 or 5 other games using a different peripheral besides having all the typical games there ... games like the new SOCOM, RE5, Sorcery, Heavy Rain all seem very promising as motion controlled games that aren't your average sport fest (not that the sports games are bad either .. but Nintendo has done them to death) .. but i do have to say Kinect concept just doesn't work ... even with motion controls to make a deep functional-self-respecting game you still need some sort of controller+buttons .. so Nintendo Wii and Sony Move have it right .. Kinect IMO is a big screw up (in both name and concept) ... good luck flailing your whole body around like an idiot possessed by an angry gorilla.

3-XCOM still does have a lot in common with the old X-Com series (both in theme and gameplay wise).. you are doing the same exact things in X-Com but from the perspective of an agent not a commander ... it not like it is the first time in history a franchise changed time periods or perspective .. it freaking happens .. stop the nostalgic complains people already ... it's getting boring.

That would be all.

Hope it's Transformers review next time ^_^

FlameUnquenchable:

Boba Frag:

It's a real shame that the majority of people posting in the negative about Rebecca Mayes ( highly unfairly I think) seem to have the collective IQ and maturity of a pack of in-heat baboons.

Mind if I use this sometime? I love the imagery.

Also, a decent review, but I'd like to hear more about games getting shredded than the usual gripe over the motion controls. We all know they're stupid and that game companies won't listen to us, so why bother beating a dead horse.

Also, I was hoping to hear a full length response to the song, I was sad to see that the song didn't have a running commentary. Maybe give it to the Unskippable guys and do another 3 man crush fest on it.

Sure, by all means! Flattered, by the way ;)

Same, it seemed to be a totally Yahtzee thing to though- a tantalising reference to the much commented upon song, but stopping short of giving us all a running commentary to sate our fan boy appetites.
Unusually diplomatic of him, actually. It wouldn't do to start on a flame war on another Escapist contributor, really.

I do hope that the current gimmick of motion controls gets under control... but I'm not really going to hold my breathe. Like you said, it's not like the wankers ever listen to us!

Having the Loading Ready Run guys behind Unskippable do a parody would be priceless!!

Dear Yahtzee, nice reporting. I didn't even see much in the way of jokes because your usual take utilizing absurdity breaks down in the face of the industry's idiocy with 'three ddd' and movement controls.
I agree completely with what you said in this installment, sad to say. I mean for all of our sakes I'm sad. When this much sweat and treasure is plowed into something so lame we all suffer for the lack of it being applied to things we all could use and enjoy.
Like games that are clever and creative and fun to play.
Or we can all just wave our arms around like there is a bee in our living room.

Thick:

ActionDan:
I think that 3D games could be very immersive. Imagine if you are in the middle of a battle and bullets and grenades and all types of projectiles are flying past your ears, and really see the depth of a game. I think 3D gaming could be one of the most immersive ideas ever.

You have to be joking. They have yet to invent the 3D that has things zipping past your ears. Things that go off screen still go off screen, meaning you can't see them. And I doubt that such a jump in technology will exist in a handheld gaming device first. What you're describing is that sort of Star Trek holographic thing that Yahtzee said to wake him when is real.

3D IS a gimmick, and even worse most things that make use of it do it poorly, shoehorning in images of things being pointed at the screen that practically yells "LOOK AT THIS HO HO HOOO!"

I played Team Fortress 2 in 3D and made even more immersive and fun to me. I guess it's all about personal opinion.

Great review as usual. At least E3 is showing more signs of life.

captain underpants:

DeathWyrmNexus:

LOL. You should have logged out before watching it. ;)

If only I could have predicted... Well if I had foresight like that, I'd wouldn't waste it on just avoiding a badge. XD

Woo! Kirby dodges the wrath of Yahtzee.

Wuh? there was something new about splatterhouse‽ How did I miss that?

No mentin of Victoria 2 :(? I'm mildly dissapointed

Awesome. Really enjoyed this one, even more so than most.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here