Stolen Pixels #208: Nine Bullets

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #208: Nine Bullets

Zombie hunters have really had budget problems in today's economy.

Read Full Article

It's funny, because she is dumb in the game.

Steering wheel? I'm impressed, she's a wom-

I kid, I kid. This comes at an excellent time as i just brought resi evil 5 yesterday. XD

That's why you play co-op, shot to the leg and a foot in the face.

I agree with the Sheva point...if she was being controlled by an AI, the things she would do at times was so dumb...Wasted so many bullets!

I tried to look on the bright side with sheva. I thought she made a good pack mule.

Shamus Young:
"Is it the thing with the steering wheel?"

That explains a LOT.

My favorite A.I. moment in Resident Evil 5 was when she wouldn't automatically use a turret during gratuitous-boss-in-ocean. I had commanded her onto one at the start of the fight, but had been too busy dodging tentacles and shooting things to notice. It wasn't until she said "reloading!" that I noticed her pistol was almost out of ammunition. I can't remember if she had already wasted her rifle ammo or shotgun ammo or if that was next in line, but I screamed in a rage at the realization that I had to keep on telling her to take control of a turret.

There are just some moments where you'd think the testers would have walked up to the A.I. programmers or lead designers or whatnot, and say "Um, yeah, it would be nice if Sheva would have some kind of protocol in this fight that said 'use the god damn mother fucking turret you stupid whore'". I mean, really, aren't testers getting paid to find stuff like that in addition to glitches and bugs?

And I thought Chris was the idiot.

All they need to do is give you average/ good guns at the beginning, and then have an excuse for losing it all. Problem solved.

But hey, you get a free pack mule.
And the bit at the end was priceless.

I recently did the game solo on Normal, and found it best to give her two guns:

Shotguns and Snipers. The Snipers are one hit kills on normal, usually, even if not a headshot.

And a shotgun...is a shotgun.

I stopped playing because of her. The game is built from the ground up to be co-op, and it shows badly when you try to play alone (because you have to because there is no Live in your country). I had the same feeling playing Twilight Princess for the 'Cube, the game was so very obviously built with the Wiimote in mind that I felt I was playing an emulated version.

SL33TBL1ND:
That's why you play co-op, shot to the leg and a foot in the face.

And thus the game garners even more resentment from people who prefer to play alone.

It seems the lackluster AI is one to force people to buddy up, but if I wanted to work on social skills I wouldn't be sitting on a couch playing video games.

Yeah, she was great for carrying all that useless crap.

I never could get past the damn crocodiles though... I tried to use her as bait, but no dice

On the plus side, Sheva never fails a quick-time event. This comes in very handy in certain boss fights.

She also is pretty good about healing you ASAP, although sometimes I'd rather get out of melee range before being healed, thank you very much.

Reynard! I have a costume of him. This truly hit the nail into what empty space be Sheva's head.

forced co-op sucks, I can't think of a single game that gives you a required companion that pulls it off

however optional co-op rules rules going all the way back to arcade shmups, perfect dark and into more modern gaming like halo 1 (never played 2 or 3)

The forced co-op sucked and Shamus..Are you becoming a SEXIST?! - Gasp -!

In Africa it is far more likely that she wouldn't know what a car is.
Sheva "A gun? you mean those things the militia are always shooting into the air?" Or that thing that white poachers use to kill endangered wildlife? Or that thing the People's Liberation Army of (insert any sub-Saharan country here) forced me to shoot after burning my village and kidnapping me and turning into a child soldier? Is that what you mean? "
She really is stupid

Blue-State:
In Africa it is far more likely that she wouldn't know what a car is.
Sheva "A gun? you mean those things the militia are always shooting into the air?" Or that thing that white poachers use to kill endangered wildlife? Or that thing the People's Liberation Army of (insert any sub-Saharan country here) forced me to shoot after burning my village and kidnapping me and turning into a child soldier? Is that what you mean? "

See, a child soldier would actually behaving like the NPC actually does. It would make sense then, and players would be able to maon and bond over how much they hated being saddled with her, while screaming "Yes, yes!" in solitude whenever she pulled their potatoes out of the fire.

That sounds far worse reading back than it did in my head when I was composing it....

I laughed very much and very lout when I read the last part.
Awesome.

Save the world! But have to buy your own weapons and ammo. The recurring staple of not only the RE series, but games in general.

She needs to use Valley-girl lingo.

Since they have to buy their own guns and ammo, they should be able to claim it on their tax returns.

Well, you know Sheva always had that look to her...

I geuss the huge price tag sorta explains it...

I just noticed something. Resident Evil 4 didn't have this plot hole since, your just a goverment agent going in for questioning the villagers. You were not expecting to attack by spanish not-zombies.

After she wastes those 8 bullets, that leaves one bullet for each of you!

"Suicide? Too easy."

Aw man.

Well, I had no idea that Leon needed bullets for his other "guns", he could just use those bad boys to crush the zombies

Seriously? They give you 10 bullets to rid Africa of zombies? What kind of an organisation is this?

The Random One:
I stopped playing because of her. The game is built from the ground up to be co-op, and it shows badly when you try to play alone (because you have to because there is no Live in your country). I had the same feeling playing Twilight Princess for the 'Cube, the game was so very obviously built with the Wiimote in mind that I felt I was playing an emulated version.

ARe there also no couches or people in your country? The game has splitsscreen.

I used to not mind Sheva, until that fight in the sort of ancient temple with Wesker, just before you have to:

I was playing RE5 through on whatever the highets difficulty level was and was going for that "Bad Blood" achievement. I eventually got Wesker into the perfect location. He'd come round the corner, I'd blast him with the assualt rifle once he got close (maybe kicking him around a bit for good measure too) then run round the other corner and repeat the process. it would have gone well, if it wasn't for Sheva always managing to get herself picked off by Weskers annoying sidekick. Bah.

Professional Mode should just have been called "Shiva is dying again and you have 1.3 seconds to save her from her own stupidity whilst dealing with all your own shit or you epic fail...you bitch"

Somehow I did it, I'm just blessed with unnatural stubbornness

they hired her for her looks?
eh guess I can't complain
until the zombies come bursting in but okay whatev

Realism again. It's dumb to have limited ammo but unlimited spawns, but it artificially notches up the ammo so...

That's what CAPCOM should have done to clear itself of racism charges, let you have a gun toting six year old as your partner...

No, wait...

ultimateownage:
All they need to do is give you average/ good guns at the beginning, and then have an excuse for losing it all. Problem solved.

At least Leon from Resident Evil 4 wasn't expecting to be shooting zombies or anything for that matter...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here