Science!: ROBOFISH

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Science!: ROBOFISH

Inside: Moby Dick lives.

Read Full Article

Gotta love the Robofish...
Regenerating teeth seems like a really cool technology, actually... no more need for fake teeth.

The teeth thing would revolutionise dentistry! Be epic!

damnit, I kept my teeth in shape for nothing.

and my kingdom for a robofish!

So...theoretically speaking, robo-animals could control groups of other animals and lead them to battle!

Lemon Of Life:
So...theoretically speaking, robo-animals could control groups of other animals and lead them to battle!

Somebody get me a bunch of Cheetahs and a robo-Cheetah, quick!

The robo-fish will lead them to their victory over mankind.
I wonder, if the robo fish jumped out of the aquarium and onto land, would the others follow?

I'm so glad we have scientist working on this instead of a cure for cancer.

Robofish. Not just your favourite TimeSplitters character, anymore!

shame, for a second I got my timesplitters happy on but alas I was lied to.

Still, I want that robot fish to become a robot whale.

We will need Robofish once they clone the giant killer whales, and armour plated subs will be of no help against teeth that can regenerate.

So the robot invasion will begin at sea, followed by daring robo-gymnast assassins to take out world leaders? Those sly devils.

Rakkana:

There are already a lot of people working on a cure for cancer, tooth decay and robo fish are important too.

Saying you want biologists to work on a 'cure for cancer' is like saying you want theologians to find a cure for human evil. Or meteorologists to find a cure for weather. Or physicists to find a cure for entropy.

Cancer happens when cells mutate to the point where their self-kill regulatory mechanisms go on the fritz. There are some common mutations we've found, but if you happen to be a human in the possession of several trillions of semi-autonomous self-replicating molecular machines made out of several quadrillion moving parts, something's going to go wrong sooner or later. Faith in 'science' isn't going to save you.

So be happy and make some cool robotic fish while you wait for death, whydontcha?

(Did anybody check to see if adding glitter to the male birds' throats increased fertility in the females?)

Rakkana:

Me too. Robot fish are awesome :D

No apocalyptic predictions re: how quickly the regular fish accept the robots as their leader? You're getting weak, Admire. We can't fight nature and science all at once!

I'm looking forward to Wolverine teeth.

OMG...growing back my teeth?

Finally, a nightmare is over. I have always been terrified of that!

Also, that whale is seriously cool!

Now that is AWSOME. Robofish and growing back teeth. This is why I LOVE science.

Lauren Admire:
Lauren Admire kept writing Nickelback instead of stickleback.

Look at this stickleback,
It's amazing how it swims so fast....

I've got a friend who's going to be thrilled about this whole dental gel thing. She's had several problems with her teeth and going to the dentist tends to send her into panic attacks.

The robo-fish are better than real fish. I find that quite amusing.

And Robofish shall know no fear.

I was expecting TimeSplitters!

Anyway, that's really cool.

And why is no-one commenting on "...and a lightsaber that kills cavities.". Yeah, that's right, regrowing teeth is all nice and all, but I'm not sure if a lightsaber is going to be any more pleasant in your mouth than a drill O.o

Rakkana:

You're right, "scientists" should do nothing but cure cancer; don't try bullshit like, "I'm a chemist, or nuclear engineer." If you're occupation falls under the loose definition of scientist you get your ass on curing cancer! (sarcasm disengaged)

Haha, Fuck you Oral Hygiene! Science has bailed me out again!

Coldsnap:

Rakkana:

You're right, "scientists" should do nothing but cure cancer; don't try bullshit like, "I'm a chemist, or nuclear engineer." If you're occupation falls under the loose definition of scientist you get your ass on curing cancer! (sarcasm disengaged)

My point was more along the lines of scientists researching important things. I thought that was pretty clear.

Rakkana:

Scientists are trying to make a living, not do charity work. If they only get paid to do things that you consider useless, then they will do that regardless. Because they have to eat.

ultrachicken:

Rakkana:

Scientists are trying to make a living, not do charity work. If they only get paid to do things that you consider useless, then they will do that regardless. Because they have to eat.

I'm not trying to make a hate comment. Just saying there are plenty of important jobs out there like curing cancer. Several of which pay well.

ultrachicken:
Because they have to eat.

BLASPHEMY!

Rakkana:

ultrachicken:

Rakkana:

I'm not trying to make a hate comment. Just saying there are plenty of important jobs out there like curing cancer. Several of which pay well.

But are they qualified to do something so complicated? Even if it is in their field.
As I said, they're not doing charity work, they're trying to make money. If they stumble across a well-paying job, they will take it.
Also, making robots that look like animals can help study animals and learn more about their behaviors and the ecosystem. I'd hardly call that unimportant.

ultrachicken:

Rakkana:

ultrachicken:

Rakkana:

But are they qualified to do something so complicated? Even if it is in their field.
As I said, they're not doing charity work, they're trying to make money. If they stumble across a well-paying job, they will take it.
Also, making robots that look like animals can help study animals and learn more about their behaviors and the ecosystem. I'd hardly call that unimportant.

The first part of your argument I've already made clear by saying there are PLENTY of well paying jobs. At least on of them is bound to be important.

The qualification statement could be true in a few select cases. But it's very unlikely such a situation would arise. As I said there are many of important jobs.

About the robot part. True it could be considered important, but in compassion to other things in the world it is very insignificant. Human health. Space travel. All of these things insure humanity's survival which should come before animals.

Rakkana:

ultrachicken:

Rakkana:

ultrachicken:

Rakkana:

The first part of your argument I've already made clear by saying there are PLENTY of well paying jobs. At least on of them is bound to be important.

The qualification statement could be true in a few select cases. But it's very unlikely such a situation would arise. As I said there are many of important jobs.

About the robot part. True it could be considered important, but in compassion to other things in the world it is very insignificant. Human health. Space travel. All of these things insure humanity's survival which should come before animals.

And I've made it clear that they will take whatever job they can get. There's no reason to continue job hunting when you've got a good one right in front of you. And the ecosystem is important to human survival.

Not every scientist needs to be working on the greatest problems. Why is it so bad to try and solve little problems, too?

PayJ567:
Haha, Fuck you Oral Hygiene! Science has bailed me out again!

Hah, this one made my day :) This is the reason science was invented!

ultrachicken:

Rakkana:

ultrachicken:

Rakkana:

ultrachicken:

Rakkana:

And I've made it clear that they will take whatever job they can get. There's no reason to continue job hunting when you've got a good one right in front of you. And the ecosystem is important to human survival.

Not every scientist needs to be working on the greatest problems. Why is it so bad to try and solve little problems, too?

Because you need to get the big ones done first.

And this isn't really improving the ecosystem. They have only proven it for one species and everyone had a good idea it was true anyway.

I can see were going to continue to disagree on the job bit so I'm leaving that out.

If you got every scientist working on a cure for cancer, as soon as they do then they will all be out of a job. Then there will be a rush of oncologists trying to find jobs in biomechanical fish sciences.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here