261: Zero Punctuation: Achieving the Cross-media Transformation of Ludological Hermeneutics

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Zero Punctuation: Achieving the Cross-media Transformation of Ludological Hermeneutics

Remember those overly verbose criticisms that you were forced to read in college, written by intellectuals who used 10 cent words just because they could? Max Steele has taken that style and applied it to something that really matters: Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews.

Read Full Article

That was mind bogglingly in depth and i think ill have to re-read it to properly comprehend half of it.

I'll save you time, marioman - it's a joke article. He's basically saying that Yatzhee accuses Dragon Age of encouraging genocide while simultaneously critiquing the male ego as insecure and homophobic. It's a load of hogwash obfuscated by turgid dialogue intended to infuse the reading with a certain sense of highminded sophistication befitting the cultural descent into the ascending integration of highmindedness befitting the proper age we are now entering as demonstrated by said article (c wut i did thar?).

reads like a terrible college thesis XD

When I first started reading I literally face-palmed at the idea that this was a serious article.

Thank christ it turned out to be a joke.

Someone was reading this article.

Time to forward this to all my graduate student friends. Well done!

Pro use of words to prove a point, if you write as eloquently as that, you can't possibly be wrong, and even if you were, or even if you were joking, proving it would be a mental marathon the thought of which makes my brain hurt. I need to go watch lolcats.

PS does ZP really have millions of viewers??

Max Steele should be living under a bridge handing out business cards.

Very good job sir. I hate those people who try to deconstruct everything to try and find the symbolism.

I had no idea ZP had all those underlying messages.

And did the writer of this article purposefully make it a hell for non-native english speakers?

I'm sort of ashamed that I went to dictionary.com seven times just for a joke that I can't really laugh at since I've yet to go to collage. T~T

Although, it made me re-watch the Dragon Age: Origins review, and that one made me laugh a lot. :D

After the Rebecca Mayes video, I expect everyone to say he only invoked Yahtze's name in order to get page views.

This might be framed as a joke, but it is not entirely without merit. Deconstructing "to try and find the symbolism" is really just a way to look at peoples underlying assumptions.

my_ledge_ends:
I'll save you time, marioman - it's a joke article. He's basically saying that Yatzhee accuses Dragon Age of encouraging genocide while simultaneously critiquing the male ego as insecure and homophobic. It's a load of hogwash obfuscated by turgid dialogue intended to infuse the reading with a certain sense of highminded sophistication befitting the cultural descent into the ascending integration of highmindedness befitting the proper age we are now entering as demonstrated by said article (c wut i did thar?).

Sorta.
But you do have the Peter Gabriel melty face avatar, so you're aces in my book!

"I don't remember..."

Jonluw:
And did the writer of this article purposefully make it a hell for non-native english speakers?

You can remove the non-native part and it's still accurate - you're in the same boat as the native speakers on this one :)

This sounds like something my old English teacher would pull out of her arse.

So, does he do it on purpose, or is it all inadvertantly lined up by nature? Or is this guy taking the mick? You decide.

Marmooset:

my_ledge_ends:

Sorta.
But you do have the Peter Gabriel melty face avatar, so you're aces in my book!

"I don't remember..."

I don't recall those lyrics. I got no memory of anything at all relating to that song.

As for the picture, I got no means to show my identification, no papers to show you what I am. I figured, "Hey, i don't give a damn."

Hah. Nice one.

Extremely in depth there, lots of big words. I usually just watch ZP for the laugh, never try to think in detail about all the hidden messages really.

can't understand half of it... wat is this? where am I?

Lizardon:
Very good job sir. I hate those people who try to deconstruct everything to try and find the symbolism.

Agreed. In most cases, it takes the enjoyment out of whatever they're over-analyzing.

...Wait, what?

This article recieves my highest level of approval for managing to utterly perplex so many people.

Considering it says that Max Steele got his PhD from Miskatonic University, I suspect it's a pseudonym. Maybe Yahtzee himself trying to avoid being murdered by Rebecca Mayes by claiming he's actually a feminist, hmmm? ;)

However, it does all make a sort of sense that I wouldn't put entirely beyond mr Croshaw to actually have been trying to put in some devious potshots at his audience. He's a clever bastard. :P

Urgh. The sad part is that it can't be that long before some numpty tries to do this in a serious fashion.

Nice job calling him out the constant theme of serious pretentiousness in the videos, though :-P

my_ledge_ends:

I don't recall those lyrics. I got no memory of anything at all relating to that song.

As for the picture, I got no means to show my identification, no papers to show you what I am. I figured, "Hey, i don't give a damn."

Hey, stop staring at me like a bird of prey!

Marmooset:

my_ledge_ends:

Hey, stop staring at me like a bird of prey!

Your language is strange. Look, I don't have a decoder, why don't you make your intention clear? Tell me the truth, you've got nothing to fear.

Finally somebody said it-thanks Max ;)

Evil the White:
This sounds like something my old English teacher would pull out of her arse.

So, does he do it on purpose, or is it all inadvertantly lined up by nature? Or is this guy taking the mick? You decide.

Given that this is printed at the top of the page:

Remember those overly verbose criticisms that you were forced to read in college, written by intellectuals who used 10 cent words just because they could? Max Steele has taken that style and applied it to something that really matters: Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews.

I'd say he's taking the mick.

Well, that was something to make me chuckle on my lunch break...

all I can say is, good show XD

its really silly and stupid, once you read it carefully.

Well played, Mr. Steel. I'll be certain to reevaluate my paradigms now.

Well I managed to understand most of that... but at what cost? I think it killed off a few brain cells. Damn you, Max Steele.

As Calvin of "Calvin and Hobbes" once said: "I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!"

http://www.cgu.edu/images/calvin-writing.gif

The collaboration with Alan Sokal in the bio was a nice touch :)

Dont't have a PhD (yet), but from a scientific viewpoint there's nothing wrong with this article. Of course, it still feels like a written joke, albeit a high-brow one. Fun! :)

I always thought it was 'a menstruating leper'. Oh well, both make sense in a way, I suppose.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here