261: Zero Punctuation: Achieving the Cross-media Transformation of Ludological Hermeneutics

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Somehow I doubt that any of his reviews are really this well thought out from a psychological standpoint.

THIS guy really knows how to state the obvious while giving some dec pointers

Thank you for not being serious. I was losing a bit of respect for The Escapist while reading that.

Wading through the multi-syllabic structure of this incredibly insightful article, I find myself uncharacteristically driven to express my opinion of the judgment inherent in the final sentence with an unvoiced linguolibial trill.

That is to say, "Hey, Mr. Steele! Pbbbbbbbttt!"

That article reminded me so, so much more than it should have of some of the essays I've seen/written during my time as an English major. The critical analysis was grasping at straws mostly, but it was amusing for the most part. Reminded me a bit of philosophy papers in which the writer writes lots of big words hoping that their point won't ever actually be understood. Kant, I'm looking at you.

I knew it.

Yahtzee really is a genius under all his vulgar, hate-mongering, desexualizing rants.

i watch zp so i can agree with somone when it comes to games not laugh at it. There's a crapton of bs posted on these forums and in the ZP episode threads as well. The article is very poor entertainment if anything.

Well, while I'm relieved that this article is a joke, it isn't a particularly funny one.

Did somebody get a new thesaurus?

This is a joke, right?

If not, this is a perfect example of everything that has gone wrong in some quarters of the humanities. Pseudo-intellectual bullshit that means nothing.

Read some real books and learn to write clearly. Using a bunch of big words that your critical theory professors taught you doesn't make you sound smarter.

Heraklitus:
This is a joke, right?

If not, this is a perfect example of everything that has gone wrong in some quarters of the humanities. Pseudo-intellectual bullshit that means nothing.

Yeah, its a joke, that's the point.

Scrumpmonkey:
For those who didn't 'get' the article, it's meant to be dense.

This is not a serious article.

It's a pardoy of over-intellectualising something that is not very intelectual i.e. a hat wearing angry sweary man who hates stuff. The language is meant to say very little but in very big overinfated words. I also detect a slight amount of self mockery of the escapist who tend to do very in depth analysis which can easily (but usually dosen't here at the Escapist, it's been very well done) stray into pointless chin stroking and posturing.

That said, while purposely reading too much into things for comic value, it does all make sense if you follow the article's logic of things. You could take a lot of it at face value.

...you'd be wrong, of course, but my point is that it isn't just gibberish: the writing itself is sensible even if its purpose is to be silly. Most of it anyway. I must admit to being slightly surprised by how many people are saying they have trouble reading it at all.

that was a great article, i had to actually look up a word!(only 1) The critique of yatzhee was interesting to say the least, very well writen, and i loved the serious tone right up to the point were you called everyone "sensitive retarded cunts". seems to me to be more of a satire on modern culture using yatzhee as the backdrop.

Great article!
He seems to be using the idea that the themes and purposes in a work are fair game even if the author doesn't employ them intentionally. I like that.

I live and work with these kinds of words, so this article was actually really understandable.

I hope you guys keep doing something for highbrow twats at least every once in a while!

GonzoQTortilla:

Heraklitus:
This is a joke, right?

Yeah, its a joke, that's the point.

It's hard to tell sometimes. You wouldn't believe the drivel you can find in academia. . .

I approve of the complexity of the vocabulary employed. Even if it was a joke, it's still an enjoyable read just because of the language.

That is one funny fucking article. I too studied at Miskatonic.

AHHHHHHHH! TOO MANY BIG WORDS. DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Gibberish ad infinitum and ad nauseam.

Reminds me of the Brontosaurus theory by Anne Elk.

Iknew, I just fucking knew, that a good percentage of this articles comments would be from people who didn't get the gag.

Terribly bad jokes cloaked in fairly transparent overly academic formalised claptrap. Next article, please.

wtf does 'Critical' mean?...

I can appreciate a wide vocabulary... but good god.

Ludological isn't in the dictionary...

Someone just got bumped up a couple rungs on my "favorite internet writers" ladder. Well, that or he's found a new and obscure meaning for the word hermeneutics (for everyone that didn't grow up in a Christian school, that would be the study of how to study a religious text. Games are the Bible now, I think.) But the ironic use of language to ironically point out his use of irony in reviews that may or may not actually contain any at all would make the cast of Homestuck so very, very proud.

Incredible some people didn't see that this was a joke earlier really, then again blatant sarcasm seems to drift right over the heads of most escapists if experience has taught us anything so the bigger question is why I am surprised in the least.

Anyway quite funny and now I really want to do a voiceover of it in the style of that TF2 meet the spy parody video.

BlueHighwind:
As Calvin of "Calvin and Hobbes" once said: "I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!"

http://www.cgu.edu/images/calvin-writing.gif

Calvin couldn't be more right, though I think the intention here is that of laugh inducement, though, one questions it's success to be honest.

Sonicron:
Dont't have a PhD (yet), but from a scientific viewpoint there's nothing wrong with this article. Of course, it still feels like a written joke, albeit a high-brow one. Fun! :)

I always thought it was 'a menstruating leper'. Oh well, both make sense in a way, I suppose.

u mean aside from his misuse of several psychological terms and the fact that it is completely wrong and intended to be a joke.

I like all the pseudo-intellectuals that agreed with this without understanding what he was saying and how it was pointless and wrong. The very fact that its written in such useless language, is enough to fail this paper.

This is the most professionally written load of bollocks I've ever read.

my_ledge_ends:
I'll save you time, marioman - it's a joke article. He's basically saying that Yatzhee accuses Dragon Age of encouraging genocide while simultaneously critiquing the male ego as insecure and homophobic. It's a load of hogwash obfuscated by turgid dialogue intended to infuse the reading with a certain sense of highminded sophistication befitting the cultural descent into the ascending integration of highmindedness befitting the proper age we are now entering as demonstrated by said article (c wut i did thar?).

Knoxy:
When I first started reading I literally face-palmed at the idea that this was a serious article.

Thank christ it turned out to be a joke.

Ok this article just gave me a headache. How is this a joke per-say? And put it into layman's terms please, thank you.

ssgt splatter:

my_ledge_ends:
I'll save you time, marioman - it's a joke article. He's basically saying that Yatzhee accuses Dragon Age of encouraging genocide while simultaneously critiquing the male ego as insecure and homophobic. It's a load of hogwash obfuscated by turgid dialogue intended to infuse the reading with a certain sense of highminded sophistication befitting the cultural descent into the ascending integration of highmindedness befitting the proper age we are now entering as demonstrated by said article (c wut i did thar?).

Knoxy:
When I first started reading I literally face-palmed at the idea that this was a serious article.

Thank christ it turned out to be a joke.

Ok this article just gave me a headache. How is this a joke per-say? And put it into layman's terms please, thank you.

He's making fun of people who try critique video game culture. the very last line he calls everyone who does this a bunch of cunts. which kinda ruins it IMO, but makes it clear to anyone who reads the whole thing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here