On Kinect and PlayStation Move

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

On Kinect and PlayStation Move

Kinect and PlayStation Move aren't taking us towards the future of gaming, they're taking us away from it.

Read Full Article

Sorry if this is off-topic, but when will we start getting updates from your space-game again?

Has anyone else read the article in the latest Popular Science on this new game system in Las Vegas that was previously a Military and Police training tool.

It's essentially a giant hamster ball on a track with a virtual reality headset, you move and the ball turns and moves your avatar. It sounds much more immersive than motion controls or 3D, but it isn't any closer to the Thought -> In Game Action than a regular controller.

*Imagines Yahtzee voicing the little robot in portal 2....*

*head explodes*

I whole-heartedly agree with you Yahtzee! (That will probably be the only time I will say that.) Motion controls and 3D are rather annoying gimmicks, which detract more than they bring in to the experience. Sorry if this is off-topic, but has anyone bought Yahtzee's book yet? Is it any good?

agree completely on motion controls, there really needs to be a party working on virtual reality for the good of gamers, instead of trying to cater to non gamers just to keep up with nintendo and make a huge profit. Lately it feels like consoles are there to take they most they can from us for the least amount of effort.

if anything. i'm actually afraid to be excited for portal 2. trying to make sequals to games that were concidered perfect don't usually come out to well.

He's got a point, motion controls will get us nowhere fast, unless there is a) some physical feedback (although the get-up necessary for that is just a horrible mental picture; jackets, gloves, etc), or b) it's something like the holodeck.
I don't care about Natal (and I won't bother calling it by its new name either), as it doesn't improve the way I could interact with my PC or xbox. Quite the contrary. I am sitting in my university's library right now, trying to work on a lab write up. I doubt flaying my arms around whenever I want to save, or back up, or change from word to excel would be more beneficial than using the touchpad. On that thought, how could gaming be any more fun? Granted, controlers have some issues, but they're better suited than actual movement, nevermind the inevitable ingame effects of being momentarily distracted.
As for the Move thing, well, you've got a pretty expensive, yet powerful Wii. Guess that's worth something, right?

Also this:

AkJay:
Sorry if this is off-topic, but when will we start getting updates from your space-game again?

This article is correct in its doomsaying toward these new motion controls, especially the PS3 which didn't even have the decency to try and obscure the fact that they're ripping off the Wii. Compound that with the rather convincing argument against motion controls of any kind found in the article and you start to see the problem.

Why can't the companies in charge of this stuff come up with similar answers? I refuse to believe that the entire corporate empires of three major entertainment companies are run completely by the pants-on-head types.

JaymesFogarty:
I whole-heartedly agree with you Yahtzee! (That will probably be the only time I will say that.) Motion controls and 3D are rather annoying gimmicks, which detract more than they bring in to the experience. Sorry if this is off-topic, but has anyone bought Yahtzee's book yet? Is it any good?

Its not out yet, I think Amazon said it was going to be released early september, but incase you missed it, heres a snippet from the book itself
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/7715-Yahtzee-Wrote-a-Book

Agreed.

I don't even find playing on a console immersive, let alone standing up and waving my arms about, dildo-in-hand.

Thankfully it's more unlikely that this motion-wotion crap will appear on PCs (for use in games) because no one owns the platform.

I hope they NEVER mix motion controls and 3D gaming. That would be a horrific cluster fuck.

What? Wheatley sounds nothing like Yahtzee! Silly people...

Yes, we should all recognise the hype for the cheap marketing ploy that it is.

I despise how hype can actually make something that isn't that bad seem really poor.

Another five minutes well wasted. Cheers, Yahtzee.

Tharwen:

The new robot thing? How could anyone possibly think that thing is Yahtzee.

I actually kinda disagree about the motion controls. There are two different ideals that video games might progress toward, the first is the same one mentioned in the article, but the second is the idea of the holodeck. A game world that you can actually run your real body through. Where you can see and do interesting things in interesting places as yourself instead of Cuntpunch McSteroid.

Motion controls as they are now are a very clumsy, ineffective step in that direction, but that direction is not necessarily invalid.

I believe in motion controls use cleverly. In no more heroes, using the motion controls for the executions work very well - it's minimalistic, but it should be like a sudden rush of adrenaline, not like an exhausting ballet.

Thing is, I can't think of many other examples. I'm also interested by the kinect game by the creator of Rez, because it looks like something that "gets" the device it's working on, and makes you "swim" instead of "slash". The long movement is justified here. But I didn't play it, so maybe I'm wrong.

Games are meant to be gimmicky. They're built around capturing your attention at least long enough for one to buy it, to feed the parties involved with its production and sale. Immersion is just a bonus that everyone feels entitled to. To use an allegory: food works the same way; one can sustain oneself on food that doesn't taste good, but once one tastes more enticing food, one expects more out of all future foods. Everyone was content when 8-bit games were on the market, just as everyone was content pumping quarters into arcade machines for hours or days.

Entertainment has always been a contest as to what can hold one's attention; this results in a battle to see who can produce the nicest gimmick, game or service. This means that when one company does something that is the slightest bit profitable, all companies in the field will do the same; CDs supplanted cartridges, DVDs CDs, Blurays are apparently next. People are attracted to the shiniest object, and the Wii outsold both PS3 and 360. Motion control was naturally the next step. No one cares about innovation; they all want money.

i eagerly await the day when we have total immersion....for on that day we will have many things that i will eagerly enjoy... until then i would greatly appreciate if the big tech companies of the world would stop watering us down with such worthless parlor tricks and gimmicky control schemes...i out and out HATED the wii for the better part of its current lifespan simply because of its controls and only now allow for my hate to subside because of its one major use... allowing me to get rid of those other 4 systems i have for minimal fee

wooty:

JaymesFogarty:

Its not out yet, I think Amazon said it was going to be released early september, but incase you missed it, heres a snippet from the book itself
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/7715-Yahtzee-Wrote-a-Book

I'd hate to quote for no reason, but literally every time i see your avatar i must stop and stare for a moment, it's hypnotic.

OT: This was a very well written article, and while i'm still vaguely interested in Kinect, i've absolutely no interest in Move.

Also, Fun Space Game. Where are the updates, sir?

I hadn't thought of it in those exact words, Yahtzee, but I do believe what you've typed out as a reason for hating motion controls is pretty much what I think: they're too crude to be "amazing future tech".

I would like to compare using motion controls and 3D to attempt to reach the future to "trying to reach the future with with pogo stick, because it's an 'upgrade from walking'".
Maybe that's gibberish, maybe it's hilarious, either way, I liked your article, Yahtzee.

3ds been around for ages i dont get why its taking off in EVERYTHING now... and if ure going to make us wear fucking ugly classes and look like pricks, why not display the images on the glasses... i mean thats pritty close to total emersion, work out a way to stop it burning are eyes
as for motion controls. there just a shameless attempt at marketing to the casual gamer since wii bagged so much money.
its devolution, lets hope tec dosnt advance with it inbuilt rather then with it removed
thats the problem when thingss evolve fast, theres not enough time to clear out the mistakes.

Ben Croshaw will be have a cameo in a later Valve game, I'm calling it.

Rasputin1:

Tharwen:

Because he's British, Americans have difficulty telling two brits apart, to the point that even our own Irridium can't tell the difference between Cockneys and Scousers.

yahtzee claims he's not having an opinion from Portal 2 but i doubt that is the case. We're 3 E3 videos in and we've learned he ALWAYS has an opinion about something. Usually a poor one. If anything, it seems he actually has hope for the game but is afraid to admit it, both because of his reputation and usual cynic attitude.

I remember things like the Activator, and I want to cry, to think that I fell for such a stupid gizmo; it's sad. I agree with Mike TheElf, that they want to get attention in any possible way, and in the same way I fell for the Activator, people is biting this movement controls, whether we like it or not.
Being a PC gamer might means it doesn't affects me, but with the console porting we're getting lately, I begin to fear that the control scheme for PC will devastated greatly; letting us with a Keyboard, with only 3 usable keys "Run; Shoot & Win."

Rasputin1:

Tharwen:

Because to some people, all accents from England, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa sound exactly the same.

I have no interest in Move for my PS3, I bought a Wii for my girlfriend and can hardly stand to use it. However, if Microsoft would look into other ways to use Kinect or whatever it's called, I think it could be pretty cool. Think about the way the Ironman movies portrayed Stark's home computer. You could do a lot of the same things with Kinect and 3D technology. I see it as a gimmick not as a whole new technology, but as an engineer it would be pretty cool to "hold" a design in my hand and rotate the image using only my hands rather than the point-and-click mouse interface. But for gaming, it just needs to die.

For you, this makes sense. You've got the "think action -> press button -> action happens" mechanic already wired in. For most people however, that translation isn't so easy. Easier for them is "think action -> do action" and it completely drops the "action happens" stage because the action has happened in the course of them doing it. You? You're used to the translation of a desired action of a kinesthetic nature being translated through a completely unrelated kinesthetic action involving minute fingure and thumb movements working. Which is why motion controls might seem so foreign.. it's asking your brain to do a different type of translation. Not hand-dexterity, but larger momements...

..or do you really find you're having to think it through when you get up and walk to the fridge for a beer?

twm1709:
yahtzee claims he's not having an opinion from Portal 2 but i doubt that is the case.

First, lol "poor opinion". To be honest, I'm sure he has an opinion somewhere in the back of his mind. Somewhere he's excited, because of Valve's track record. Too bad he didn't mention that in the article for you to prove him wrong. Oh wait. He did.

---

So, I'm probably giving them too much credit, but I have a theory that Nintendo knew from Day One that motion control was a complete dead end and ultimately helped nothing. Considering they were coming off the last generation in a debatable third place, they needed something to wow their customers. Something that hadn't been tried very successfully before, and something that would appeal to the mouth-breathers to let them rake some quick cash. God, did it ever work, and they get paid.

Given that, it's not outside the realm of thinking to say that they may be going the same route with the 3DS. Personally, I couldn't give a toss about the 3D. I just would like Nintendo game quality on a more powerful system, and 3DS is also delivering that.

I actually think that a virtual reality sort of world where you 'think' and it happens would be bad for the gaming industry, because then any sort of test of skill would be thrown out the window. You wouldn't have to aim your gun at the enemy, you'd just think "shoot him!" And bam, he'd be dead. There would be no point to competitive shooter games or action games or any games like that. The 'hardcore' gamers would cease to exist, because hardcore gamers are distinguished by their skill in the games they play, and if there's no test of any relevant skill, Q.E.D. no gamers.

Admittedly you could do an RPG game using that style, but if you're in a virtual world, an RPG would be a horrible idea because it would feel incredibly unrealistic and you'd be immediately reminded that this isn't a real world, which, considering how immersive the virtual world would be in the first place, would pretty much spoil the experience.

I think Motion Controls as a whole are pretty crap(except Sorcery which looks pro), but I think Kinect has a much larger chance of failing than Move.

Less bile, more logic. You are getting good Yahtzee. Really good.
Also where are the Metro 2033 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. : Call of Pripyat reviews?

The big thing I don't like about the 3DS (or in fact the DSI) is that I already have a DS. The more people who buy the current edition of a DS the less who will buy the new one because they already have one. Ok the DS and DS lite (which I have) are not too different, it's like a PS2 slimline (because the current gen consoles slim do newer things), did the same thing, had the same insides (to the extent of my knowledge) but was smaller. Then the DSI came along and I thought they were advertising some sort of detective game. Nintendo said: Look, it's got a camera! I said: Why would I need a camera on my DS? I have a camera, I have a DS, if I lost the DSI I would lose both functions but if I lost my DS I'd just have nothing to do on long journeys when my Ipod hasn't got any battery.

the 3DS is a gimmick, nothing more. All my friends who own a DS won't get the 3DS because they don't care about 3D qualities because 100 on sometihng you already have half of is too expensive. Nintendo does things before everyone else it seems, I think that is a weakness as well as a strength. They start the bandwagon and everyone jumps on it but they might not do it right allowing others to step in and improve the gimmick. But by then everyone has the Nintendo and doesn't want the new thing (see earlier points).

Sorry for the long rant.

Ah, a wittertainment fan, hey? There's nothing quite like sitting down to hear Mao and Kermode bitch at eachother for an hour every friday.

I know time delay is a nuisance in Australia, but sometime you should tune in to the livestream just to see the big FLAPPING hands.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here