Shamus Plays: LOTRO, The Finale!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Thank you Shamus for an awesome series, had a load of good laughs at all the silliness. Loved it!

(also, is Lulzy available for entertaining at children's parties? I think her songs would make a great fit for little misfits, personally!)

Awesome! Can't wait to see the next game (and meet the next protagonist).

Loved it. Can't wait to see what you'll choose to do next. Good work.

This series was really enjoyable and has gotten me interested in trying the game out once it goes free to play. Now I need to go back and reread the whole thing in one go.

Can't wait to see what you tackle next.

Great series, loved every episode.

P.S. Hopefully your next series will be as entertaining :)

D'awwwwww! Bye-bye Lulzy! It's been... weird. :D

Awww its over..... please follow this up with another game, D&D online or WoW or something. Its too good an idea to let lie.

And so Lulzy's adventures come to an end. :(

Great series though, laughed from the first one to the last.

Can't wait to see what the next one will be.

the protaginist:

This is a tad off-topic, but I know LOTRO is moving to free-play soon and i'm interested in it, but if i don't like D&D Online would I enjoy LOTRO? I know they're both Turbine, so I thought i'd ask.

Quite a fair question given that they are both by the same company. Both games use the same engine on a very basic level, but they play completely differently. DDO is more action game like while LOTRO is more in line with a typical MMO. DDO uses repeatable instances and scalable challenges to provide it's gameplay. LOTRO uses a mostly open world with a few instances here and there. Most of it's gameplay is centered around being part of the LOTR storyline and world. Personally, I'd say they are very different and there's a good chance that it you don't like one you might like the other.

Also, don't feel that you have to wait until LOTRO goes F2P to give it a try as they currently do offer a 10 day free trial. In fact, if you try it now and decide you like it enough to pay for a few months of play you'll be better off in terms of the perks you have access to when the game does go F2P even if you decide to stop paying at that point.

Alas, all good things must end. I loved this series; a hilarious send-up of the stupid game mechanics and plot devices present in even the best of games. I'll miss you, Lulzy. We all will.

Well done indeed. :)

BTW, Donabella tells me that Men don't even know how to cook a proper Hobbit's breakfast, so you're better off without them.

Who knew a written, weekly and game based story could be better than the video series? i really do love the parody of a very popular brand and made every one of my thursday mornings( I live in australia) awesome. THANKYOU MR SHAMUS.

bloody darn fantastic! :) want moar!

Man, that was awesome! I anxiously awaited every installment of Lulzy's adventure. I can't wait to see what you pick next. Keep up the great work!

Write more, please. You don't do enough writing... /beg

I've really enjoyed reading these; I can't remember when I saw it first, or why I started reading it, but I'll definitely miss it now that it's gone.

Good game, sir.

Y'know... I bet this could actually feel pretty epic if it didn't have a sarcastic comic-writer commentating it :P

Great series!

Such a good read, looking forwards to the next series :)

I shall miss Lulzy and her adventures - she's made me smile, made me grin, made me laugh, made me snort and snork and giggle and belly laugh. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading about whatever game you play next, but I will definitely miss my regular instalment of Lulzy. And I can never again undertake any quest in LOTRO without pondering what Lulzy's take on it would have been.

Re: community in LOTRO, of all the MMOs I've played it's definitely got the best in-game community. I play on both Landroval (high population) and Arkenstone (considerably lower population) and with very few exception the vast majority of players are helpful, cheerful, accepting and articulate. Questions asked in any but the least-populated areas and times tend to get multiple immediate answers, often in verbose detail.

Landroval, being an unofficial role-playing server, tends to have a lot of player-run events, from things as small as regular jam sessions on in-game instruments at assorted locations to player-run taverns and co-operative efforts to knock out some of the games more difficult content (check out Youtube for "chicken run" videos for a sample) and create ambitious roleplaying events (I highly recommend the "Oathbreaker - Halloween 2009 - LOTRO" video, also on Youtube, as a prime example of just how much fun the RPers are getting up to).

Thanks for the adventure, Shamus

That was awesome as usual, Shamus! I read everything you write here and on your blog and I want to thank you for the countless hours of entertainment you are providing!

Eagle Est1986:
That was far better than it had any right to be, thanks Shamus. I'm very much looking forward to reading the second season of Shamus Plays.

This actually already was kind of a "Season 2". Season 1 being about Champions Online. A Star is Born on Shamus's personal blog is every bit as awesome as Lulzy's adventures were, so be sure to check it out if you haven't already.

Very nice, as an Ex-LOTRO player I enjoyed it very much.

Say, if you're doing another MMO-based story like this, you should really consider something like Eve or City of Heroes/Villains. The latter is probably a bit too much as Champions Online, though.

Thanks for the stories! Funny that your journey through LOTRO ends just as I end mine. I enjoyed reading these.

Good show man, good show. Enjoyed every line of it. And even though this my first comment, let it be known that you did a fantastic job, and I can't wait for some other adventure. Half-life, maybe?

Awesome end to an awesome series, though I counted an unusually high number of typos.

Poor Lulzy. At least she got her dress!

...for all the good it did her....

the protaginist:

This is a tad off-topic, but I know LOTRO is moving to free-play soon and i'm interested in it, but if i don't like D&D Online would I enjoy LOTRO? I know they're both Turbine, so I thought i'd ask.

Very different games. As someone else said, DDO is much more action-oriented. Personally, I also found it *very* repetitive and dull shortly after I left the starter island. The game mechanics aren't remotely similar either. I think LOTRO has moved more *towards* DDO with the recent ideas of micro-transactions and the ability to scale your adventures to the number of players in your party rather than being forced to take full fellowships, but in the latter case, I think that they're just grabbing one of the better ideas from DDO and not changing into it. Mechanically, they are still very different in feel.

*applauds*

That is all there is to say on the matter. Congratulations, Young.

Sorry to see it end, but I did get a good 295 page eBook of it, just in case the story ever disappers from the site.

Looking forward to your next big comedy.

Im really sad this is over!

This was only of the reasons the escapist is such an awesome website!

Thank you, for Lulzy's adventures, Shamus. I appreciate it, and look forward to whatever you're going to work on next!

That was hilarious, well-written, and strangely epic. Thanks. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next one, whatever it may be.

Poor Lulzy. Had to fall for the one she couldn't have. And spat in the face of pretty much everyone else...

Can't wait to read your next series!

Jordi:

Eagle Est1986:
That was far better than it had any right to be, thanks Shamus. I'm very much looking forward to reading the second season of Shamus Plays.

This actually already was kind of a "Season 2". Season 1 being about Champions Online. A Star is Born on Shamus's personal blog is every bit as awesome as Lulzy's adventures were, so be sure to check it out if you haven't already.

Oh really? Well thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out when I get some free time, probably later today when I get bored at work.

And congrats on making it to the World Cup final, I hope you've been celebrating already. It'll either be an amazing final or another 1-0 Spain win. Good luck!

Thank very much for this series good sir.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here