Zero Punctuation: No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Pretty much my thoughts, though I didn't miss the sandbox and I totally disagree with using the classic controller. The novelty of physically doing the killing blows is probably the most fun part of the game for me.

I love No More Heroes though, and this one is certainly welcome alongside the original.

Lol Yahtzee finally acknowledges the Rebecca Mayes thing. I still think her calling Yahtzee a misogynist was ridiculous, and I'm a second year possibly lesbian art student taking gender studies classes.

Did he call it "DeNiros" at one point?

hey guys. dont understand whats happenned, could anyone bring lead me to the latest status?

"Try our beer and racism!"

I approve of this joke.

And I love the Alex Kidd in Miracle World reference. I thought I was the only one on Earth who played that game. And owned a Sega Master System (still do).

Gar. What about the crappy wrestling? Sure, wrestling moves are way more effective in Desperate Struggle, but they all look the same. Crappy. In the first one, you could wrestle every man, woman, and child (Except there are only men) and still have it be fun...and I liked the retro mini-games...

Picked this game up for $18 AUD at a sale, despite the shortcomings I knew it had before I bought it, it's still really fun. In a really childish sort of way.

Ah hahahahaha!
Wow, I just was thinking "Well, I guess I'll get back on my Wii and keep playing No More Heroes 2; oh wait! A new Zero Punctuation today! I'll procrastinate playing a game by watching that instead!" And then looky here! Fortune smiles kindly upon me.

Now that Yahtzee has so expertly illustrated all the things that are driving me nuts about this game, I feel much less need to continue playing it. Hooray! Goodbye, $6 to Blockbuster; you shall be missed. And if I ever see you again, remind me to never listen to whatever "friend" of mine recommended I play this series of games.

Erana:

Also, does Travis really have one of those body pillows in the game? They freak me out terribly. When I was in Japan this spring, they had those pillow cases in claw machines. And the arcades were absolute sausage fests; the only Japanese female I saw in two arcade buildings was in full anime regalia for a promotional event.

I'm sure most Japanese people are embarrassed by that culture.

MasochisticMuse:
Lol Yahtzee finally acknowledges the Rebecca Mayes thing. I still think her calling Yahtzee a misogynist was ridiculous, and I'm a second year possibly lesbian art student taking gender studies classes.

He played that song and it's video after his review last week.
After the end credits of ZP.

Nice to see the nod to Rebecca Mayes there. No More Heroes never really grabbed me, so needless to say this review is likely to do nothing to sway that. Good job though.

I enjoyed NMH2, though the ending/final boss was a bit of a let-down compare to the twist in the first game.

I don't know why but I find I sympathise with characters a lot less after they lose their virginity.

I... I thought I was the only one!

Seriously, I've thought for years I'm a socially backward bell-end for not being socially liberal enough to like characters after they've done the deed.

Thank you Yahtzee, now I don't feel so alone!

Yes!
This is the second time (I think) Yahtzee has mentioned, or referenced, Swindon which is my hometown...and yes, it is a shite hole :)

Thank you, Yahtzee, for giving our awful town some more fame :)

Isn't this game like six months old?

Surprised he didn't noticed the jiggle physics on the fat gay gym owner, which I took as a way of him making fun of said jiggle physics. Although Suda51's idea of "making fun of something" is pretty much trolling. I mean, Suda brought back the WORST minigame from the first game. If you're gonna bring something back, you don't bring back the Scrappy Mechanic!

srsly yatzee is now talking too damn fast it is impossible for the human brian to process one clause before hes moving on to the second or third its not a competishun to see who can talk the fastest mr yatzee i get that its your thing that define's who you are but srsly its just getting silly now keep it within reason ok.

(Poor spelling and punctuation used intentionally. Do you see what I did there? If not, what I did there was this: satirise Yahtzee.)

It's fairly easy to talk really fast when you have written down what you're going to say beforehand and can edit out pauses afterwards. It's much harder to do that whilst keeping a sense of good structure and intelligibility. Yahtzee seems to have forgotten the latter in the pursuit of seeing how far he can push the former. I'd like to see him rediscover the sweet spot between the two.

Wow... we've actually come to the point of in-house references

Haha. Take that Rebbecca. And your.... songs... that suck...and stuff.

You may have guessed I dislike her.

Anyhoo's. Nice review. As always, some might say. But I shall not. For I am not some. For example I am writing this with my eyes closed.
FOR IT ALL.
Seriously, I'm that good, I'm not actually gouing back to change things either.

Anyway. Enough about me.
How are you?

Why is there a link to "buy this game" underneath the video? I mean, really, who would want to buy something after Ben Croshaw's had his way with it?

I also had a problem with Travis's change of character. The first time around, he was a geek doing geek stuff, using the UAA as a form of violent escapism (JUST LIKE THE PLAYER, GET IT?), but now he's just pissed about stuff, and it comes across in his dialogue and mannerisms. He used to be lighthearted and charming, but now he's way too dark.

XD
Paused it at the scene where he's holding Haruhi whilst slicing fodder in half. Happy, just happy bliss. XD

Ithos:
Wow... we've actually come to the point of in-house references

A Gunnerkrigg Court avatar. You win.

Also, NMH1 I never finished... It was too into itself, I suppose. It made me feel like I was slogging through someone else's pretentious opinion of gaming. The bossfights were awesome though.

nice review, now can we see him review a DS visual novel after super mario galaxy 2?

I wonder why everyone seems to hate this game here.

Just because Yahtzee bashed it?

I rarely hear entirely negative comments about it elsewhere, and I like it myself.

D_987:

ForgottenPr0digy:
I like this review because of all the funny jokes. I don't really care about this game in general though

Another witty and genuinely insightful comment from DOTFallen I see... =P

As for the video; it really did seem Yahtzee was disappointed in the game - moreseo than usual; the jokes were pretty funny - particularly the bulldog on the trampoline - but it seemed like he wanted to like the game, but didn't. Besides, I thought there was a port of No More Heroes coming to the 360?

why are you using my gamertag Fatal EFX???

LOL at jab at MGS franchise and Hideo Kojima with the cloning bit

is that a furyy at 00:43

"reducing Travis's social circle down to zero plus one cat"
"isn't this the same game with wobbly chest and a fatter pussy"
"the city as lively as a Saturday night in the International space station"
I love the avatar of John Marston in this video(and the red dead video as well)

Remember Kimmy did it for the Lulz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRNxhVcgEvw

and REAPER REAPER THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE CALL ME!

I hate those Wii standard controllers! "Oh look, some people don't like our motion controls. So... to keep them as customers let's put out a controller that workson half of the games. Now... lets make it bulky and not at all form-fitting to a pair of hands so it's like they're using a big NES contoller with rounded corners."

Even the SNES controller had the spot where the your palms could rest at the bottom of the controller. Yes, the pro looks a bit better, but it's still got that weird oval shape. In fact, the only changes I see are some wings and the analog sticks are spaced out a bit more.

Btw, my favorite controller still has bo be the Gamecube controller. Take that as you will...

I couldn't imagine any sandbox game working at all for the Wii anyway. It doesn't have the hardware to do it properly.

CyricZ:

Lordbishop:
Ooo.. think someone might have watched Rebecca's vid/song

Yeah, he watched it when it came out. They even had a little twitter back and forth, but now I think they're both content to snipe at each other from their respective perches, professionally of course. (Not that I claim to understand the British mind)

Well I do, and us British people like to take the mickey/piss out of each other. Most times this is not ment as aggressive, it's usually ment as a form of indirect bonding; a way to have fun with one another verbally.

I really do see how this gets lost in translation with our American cousins, as when the same is applied to an American, they tend to FREAK THE F*CK OUT AND RAGE. Well, at least from my personal experience. =p

Ahh, reminds me of the early days of the internet, where an American would get in between two British friends taking the piss out of each other; accussing one or the other for being horrible and they're gonna report them and what-not... And we all know what happens in those situations!

(Both of them to the interceptor): "Piss off!"

One thing I'm now very curious about is: do the Australians have this trait?

With regards to maturity, didn't you think that the 2nd rank boss fight showed a stupid amount of maturity? Like the entire evolution of Travis's character?

CaptainCrunch:

LadyRhian:
Grrr... is anyone as tired of that stupid Slim Jim ad as i am? Thankfully, Yahtzee's review more than made up for having to watch it yet one more (expletive deleted) time. I can't say I was interested in this game, and am less so now, but I still got tons of amusement watching Yahtzee eviscerate it.

snowman6251:
Can we stop the Slimjim ads please? Slimjims are nasty. Watching the same stupid ad before every video I want to watch does not make me want to eat that crap.

At least make the annoying ads relevant to the site, which is to say anything related to gaming would at least be tolerable.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/registration/subscribe
Pub Club members see videos ad-free, and with higher quality encoding. 20 bux gets you this ability, and several other snazzy benefits.

i see now. this is escapist idea of torture..and it's working.
i wonder if Yahtzee actually reads these comments. i enjoyed the rebecca mayes comment, but was it really a shot at here? he just said i don't want her to stab me.

CaseySmith:
I couldn't imagine any sandbox game working at all for the Wii anyway. It doesn't have the hardware to do it properly.

CyricZ:

Lordbishop:
Ooo.. think someone might have watched Rebecca's vid/song

Yeah, he watched it when it came out. They even had a little twitter back and forth, but now I think they're both content to snipe at each other from their respective perches, professionally of course. (Not that I claim to understand the British mind)

Well I do, and us British people like to take the mickey/piss out of each other. Most times this is not ment as aggressive, it's usually ment as a form of indirect bonding; a way to have fun with one another verbally.

I really do see how this gets lost in translation with our American cousins, as when the same is applied to an American, they tend to FREAK THE F*CK OUT AND RAGE. Well, at least from my personal experience. =p

Ahh, reminds me of the early days of the internet, where an American would get in between two British friends taking the piss out of each other; accussing one or the other for being horrible and they're gonna report them and what-not... And we all know what happens in those situations!

(Both of them to the interceptor): "Piss off!"

One thing I'm now very curious about is: do the Australians have this trait?

Thank you very much for being someone who acknowledges a Brit's needs to take the piss out of other brits, you grumpy bastard.

Quite right about Rebecca and Yahtzee. It's all fun and games between them. I doubt Yahtzee REALLY expects Rebecca to stab him, and probably either acknowledges a slightly misogynistic nature or sees it as a joke.

Similarly, Rebecca will take this in her stride. She'll probably laugh about it more than us.

I know Americans personally. They get deeply offended about any witty banter that other people just shrug off. A real pain when they're attractive.

Australians aren't anything like us. They all just say "G'Day, mate" and drink Lager (NOT BEER) and hate black people. We Brits hate everyone. Including ourselves, our friends and our families.

I wonder when he'll do Singularity

Ironically this inspired me to get back into NMH2 again. I got it when it came out originally but a bunch of other good games came out around the same time, mainly Mass Effect 2, so it's been collecting dust for a while. Now I've got back into it and was reminded what I loved so much about the game (AND what I hated.) Thanks for reminding me Yahtzee!

Did Yahtzee hit puberty?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or