The Needles: Goodbye, Mr. (Mod)Chips

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Sorry to breack it to you guys but your whining is overreacting. If you live in a country where those laws are enforced (which I am) you will start noticing the funny truth that all you worry about is not to come.
I will tell you of the real consequences (unless you believe Canada is a country at the bring of abandoning democracy) such a law will invoke. You are right. The enforcement will never reach the average leecher and little Timmy is still able to leech the new album, game or movie. The uploaders will be persecuted and brought to justice. Because they are the ones doing the most damage. It is also right that companies put a DRM (I will refer to all kind of protection as DRM because it is so convenient to type) on almost any copy so you are not allowed to back it up. There is enough data that has no DRM on it like a picture you take with your digital camera. You are not an outlaw to copy that. This is what the law is about. Content protected by DRM is not to be copied by YOU and content without DRM is allowed to be copied by YOU. I admit having run into trouble myself with such things but it was not the fault of politicians or the law itself, but my DVD-Player did not allow me to play videos without DRM so the film of my holidays was for nuts.
Furthermore did you speak of making people outlaws who use programs/devices to cicumvent DRM (like "And PSP hacking? [...]it has nothing to do with improving the web browsing, [...] or playback of more than the small handful of supported media formats and sizes." by RvLeshrac) Yes that is illegal too. You see Microsoft pays deer money for licenses so they are allowed to play those formats. Any device read modchip who enables your PSP to play more media formats is ripping of the formats owners because they did not receive money from Sony so their PSP could do so.
You must see why publishers have to brand their copies like cattle in the Wild West. They can tell which copy is licensed and thus was legelly purchased. If you have any better idea than that please tell me or better yet tell the publishers and get rich.
If you are able to copy and paste data from A to B it is fine because it is not friggin protected that is what protection is for. Preventing to illegaly copy data. Most people wonīt notice the law because it does not concern them because they purchase their stuff and donīt need any back up because they take care of the one copy they have. But the bad ones who infringe on copyrights by circumventing DRM by hacking and the ones uploading hacked program will be severly punished.Publishers are also happy because the law protects their right to protect their content.
And donīt tell me there would not be more pirating if little Timmy who lacks any knowledge how a computer works but to run a game could just "back up" his game because of the lack of DRM, and give his friends one copy each. There is no resistance and thus no guilt in the act, believe me.
Sound too harsh? Then you should probably go back in your cave and dust of you Amstrad because back than there were no such problems. Nowadays licensors have to be able to protect their product/service. Because that is what you are paying for, a product/service-hybrid-something not a product which you can do whatever you want to do with it. We have to accept this fact because our infrastructure has advanced so rapidly that downloading a program that is 7gb big is no chore anymore and thus endangering the industries and their profits. Remember we believe those industries to be worth billions but it can easily turn into nothing if you greenlighting anti-DRM piracy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here