The Escapist Presents: E3 After Party

E3 After Party

Join the Escapist as we attend an exclusive, developer-only E3 After Party, hosted by Dave Taylor.

Watch Video

Some of this needscaptations :P
Great vid though, loved the comment on SC2 about people complaining about multi selecting buildings. Whining bastards :)

Also: What quality does "European" represent (as discussed around the last seconds of minute 3)?

MNRA:
Some of this needscaptations :P
Great vid though, loved the comment on SC2 about people complaining about multi selecting buildings. Whining bastards :)

Also: What quality does "European" represent (as discussed around the last seconds of minute 3)?

Either rewatch it and listen to the discussion they were having or you don't really need to know.

:D

That was interesting to watch, actually. Like, fly on the wall, interesting. :) I also thought it was a good opportunity to drop-pod Yahtzee in through the roof, and set his rants that he's been directing at game designers for years out. :D It'd be like firing a silver bullet! o_o In one shot, he'd kill off brown "realism," quick time events, stagnation in revamping old IPs, more focus on immersion, a worth while stealth game (tell me he wouldn't do one for himself :D), and probably a few other things I can't think of. :)

The second to last shot talking about saturation is a very smart chap. He knows that the majority of games produced appear to fall into that niche of "hardcore" too easily that prevents new people from jumping in an taking the plunge. What I'm surprised is that he didn't talk about the why and how complex expecting an average person who hasn't played games will have trouble traversing three dimensions using an analog stick.

He is also right about hollywood budgets and hollywood games. Budgets are out of control and when making a movie game or a game that is like a movie they often go into the wrong direction to give that experience. Toy Story 3 the game actually did something by emulating Little Big Planet by actually making the game a toybox. A good majority of movie games just can't be made into good video games that is unique to the movie and the experience that is felt when watching that movie.

If by 'hardcore' he means 'shooter', yes, he's a smart man. Highly saturated. I wouldn't say something is hardcore just because it's a shooter, though. Maybe this is silly, but I'm inclined to associate quality games (read: fun and innovative) with hardcore, not just difficult ones.

And we are definitely not saturated with quality games.

That guy at 2.40 in the vest REALLY doesnt care what that lady designer is saying about female game designers, he is waiting to safely leave the conversation without being labled a sexist lol

I wish I could've been there.

Looks like a blast.

This got me thinking Mr. Macris, does alcohol affect Lich's?

I don't know who any of those people are, does it make me a sociopath if I wanted to punch almost all of them in the face?

Except the very uncomfortable guy at about 4:05, he gets some personal space.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here