Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 16 NEXT

Yahtzee can have my cake any day *whistles innocently*

Welp, looks like I'm gonna have to go out this weekend and do something new. But I appreciate your grudging acknowledgment of its fun-ness in spite of how much you loathe Mario games. :D

PS: I LOVED the text adventure screen, that was hilarious.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
*Slap... *Slap... *Slap... *sigh... *Slap

I think I pissed myself

Me too! This one was awesome.

DarthNader26:
Did anyone else actually stop the video and go watch the SMG review while gleefully imagining Yahtzee slapping himself the whole time you're watching it?

;D

Yes! That and it was an excuse to watch some old ZP

Appreciated the David Bowie references in the credits. My response to Nintendo is found in David Bowie's aptly titled song "It's No Game (part 2)": "being insulted by these fascists is so degrading."

Zing:
There needs to be some fucking story. Yeah it's a game for casuals and children, but they could at least make an effort using the current characters. But they don't even bother.

Remember what happened when Modern Warfare 2 tried to include a story?

That's right: it became a ramrod linear experience that could be completed in a single sitting, and the game had to try (bold and underline the word 'try') to add varying levels, but couldn't do much without going against the flow of the story.

The lack of story in games like Mario is what allows them to excuse such absurd level designs, as well as why there's so many of them. All adding a story does is limit creativity, as well as bog down the experience. Nobody's going to want to play any story-based game if it tries to cram in the number of levels you see in a game like Mario (about 120 of them).

That said: if you've ever considered becoming a game designer, don't. You clearly don't have any grip on making a fun game if your immediate thought is 'story = better'.

Does this mean that whenever some idiot is yells at me: "The Cake is a Lie!" They're really telling me that their girlfriend doesn't put out?

flosy:
Since this is an inevitable meme I'm just going to say the cake is a lie here.

I was actually quite shocked that ZP wasn't building up to that punchline in his review..
Maybe it was too easy..

Was the reason the screen blacked out because the sound of you "slapping yourself" was actually you using some... "cake"?

heatbox:
For someone who rags on Nintendo for doing the same thing over and over I must say that that is exactly what you do.

He's a reviewer what else do you expect him to do? He doesn't craft stories in his reviews.

And I think it should be mentioned that he has done limericks in Wolfenstein because he'd reviewed too many generic shooters and that he does make web games.

I believe I saw Mr. Hoppy from Monkey Dust.

lwm3398:
Is that the whole plot of every Mario game? Cake? I never noticed that, I always thought it was just some random party...

This makes me look at the Mario series in a whole new way...

Same here. Princess Peach's ... 'cake'... must be something pretty spectacular.

I appreciate the Bowie reference. Cheers.

Haha, it was to be expected. I mean I enjoyed Galaxy, and sure it was a well made game, but I just can't seem to find it as fun as the more hardcore Nintendo fans. Nice review, kinda figured it'd just be more of the first one.

I agree totally. The fact that Nintendo keeps shoveling out the same game over and over truly shows that the Wii can't compete with the other platforms. Incidentally, has anybody else played Modern Warfare 2 lately? Isn't that awesome and not at all a complete knock-off of the first one? And I just can't wait for Half-Life 2 Episode 3, which, too, is totally original.

Kenkaku:

Zing:
There needs to be some fucking story. Yeah it's a game for casuals and children, but they could at least make an effort using the current characters. But they don't even bother.

Remember what happened when Modern Warfare 2 tried to include a story?

That's right: it became a ramrod linear experience that could be completed in a single sitting, and the game had to try (bold and underline the word 'try') to add varying levels, but couldn't do much without going against the flow of the story.

The lack of story in games like Mario is what allows them to excuse such absurd level designs, as well as why there's so many of them. All adding a story does is limit creativity, as well as bog down the experience. Nobody's going to want to play any story-based game if it tries to cram in the number of levels you see in a game like Mario (about 120 of them).

That said: if you've ever considered becoming a game designer, don't. You clearly don't have any grip on making a fun game if your immediate thought is 'story = better'.

What? Remember when Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare tried to include a story? It was one of the best games ever made. That is the biggest copout of an excuse if I've ever seen one. What does absurdity of story level design have to do with story? It's still a game set in a mythical world about a plumber, they can easily add a ton of story.

Nice video yahtzee but now I have to go out and do something I've never done before...maybe I'll go find some "Cake"

The Simpsons hasn't been good since season 3. Funny how, while mario is best known for platforming, I will forever place super mario rpg at the highest of mario-related-game pedestals. All in all, this review is the purest of hot summertime cake.

"Why use map screens? It's from the past, and therefore outdated. Diatribe against older Mario games."

Why not? If all the levels are designed to be compartmentalized and self contained, then a map screen is efficient.

I very much didn't expect to enjoy this game but it is much better than thought and makes me wish I owned o console myself. But Nintendo needs to bring out a HD console pretty soon because all the jaggies in the graphics makes it look very dated...and for my sake start adding a bit shadows here and there, some of the graphics is too sunshine bright and happy...

DaMan1500:
Why do I torture myself by watching ZP reviews of games I actually like, especially Wii games? Watching his review of Brawl was like sticking a lit cigarette in my eye. I really hope he skips Other M when it comes out and goes back to wailing on games I'm indifferent to.

Is your confidence in your own opinion really that fragile? Personally, I've seen him review plenty of games that I've thoroughly enjoyed, and I even agree with his problems with them, by and large, but it hasn't stifled my enjoyment of them one bit. If I had fun with it, someone else's opinion doesn't really matter.

And I certainly don't make buying decisions based on the ZP reviews. That way madness lies. I'm just here for the dick jokes.

There was a Yoshi Island Themed Rave in AZ the week after SMG2 was released, is that good enough?

"Do something you've never done before...go out and meet a nice member of the opposite sex and invite them out for some...cake" lol xD

I think the slapping himself in the face bit was a prophetic response to the peanut gallery here wheeling out the tired old Portal reference.

DO you know what I think "game critics" (the crappy ones who give anything with "Halo" in its name a high score) should do when they give games scores, instead of giving it something like 10/10 for it supossadly being perfect, even though its not, they should have seperate reviews for different kinds of gamers like;

-Little kids- 10/10
-Casual gamers - 3/10
-Hardcore gamers - 0/10
-Story buffs - 0/10

Something like that. Although thats my second opinion my first would be to burn them all! Especially after IGN gave Strategy game of the year award to Halo Wars instead of Dawn of war II or Empire: Total War.

Well I just must agree with the maria brand. And I loved the text adventure part on this one :DD Is it just me or was he feeling more artistic than usual.

I found it hilarious.
As much abuse as I will get from this, but I am bored of Mario games. They are all the same, and I just find them a bit boring and tedious. I've played Galaxy 2, and I have no idea how it got so many sperm-covered 10/10s everywhere...

Didn't expect that part of him slapping himself repetitively... ah well, seeing Yahtzee's view on Nintendo, a review like this was inevitable.

So Yahtzee is Starman? Can't say i'm surprised.

Falseprophet:
I beg your pardon sir, the WI was born here in Canada, in my hometown. I've been to the founders' house, and seen where they first shared their 'cake'.

Ah, I stand corrected, and therefore apologise. I'd just always assumed is was a British organisation since I'd never met anyone from outside the U.K who new what the W.I was. I still find the thought of these late middle aged women with their 'cake'-offs disturbing though. I suppose it's only natural, however. Bored housewives are bored housewives, whether in 2010 or 1910!

Finally, words of truth and wisdom are spoken about Mario Galaxy 2!
Which makes me worry aven more about IGN's state of mind (Yea, Peace Walker comes to mind too)

Yahtzee hates unoriginal platformers, yet has never reviewed Ratchet & Clank, any of the Jak series, or Katamari Demacy or anything of that sort. Possibly these games are ones he plays in his spare time, because there's not enough to hate.

I would love a Mario game where at the end, you find Bowser's room, and Peach flies in from above, crying, "We have you now, little plumber!"
Seriously, a villain Peach twist would seem like a flying leap of ingenuity coming from Nintendo.

why didn't he mention that Nintendo is making fun of people, for example first galaxy starred letters reads U R MR GAY

Yahtzee you bastard. I used to love my mum's cakes.

Zing:
What? Remember when Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare tried to include a story? It was one of the best games ever made. That is the biggest copout of an excuse if I've ever seen one. What does absurdity of story level design have to do with story? It's still a game set in a mythical world about a plumber, they can easily add a ton of story.

Sure you could add a story to Mario but then it wouldn't be Mario anymore:

But maybe what makes Galaxy great is the abandon with which Nintendo has embraced abstraction. Mario has mostly taken place in the Mushroom Kingdom -- but even that vague concept is jettisoned for a string of constructs that only vaguely approximate real environments, at their absolute most concrete.

This game is wholeheartedly a game, and doesn't shy away from it -- more, it embraces it. In the first level of Future, Ratchet may traverse an amazing futuristic city. Mario traverses challenges -- nothing more, nothing less.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16729

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or