Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 NEXT

JWRosser:
I found it hilarious.
As much abuse as I will get from this, but I am bored of Mario games. They are all the same, and I just find them a bit boring and tedious. I've played Galaxy 2, and I have no idea how it got so many sperm-covered 10/10s everywhere...

Guess they're just rating it in general like, game play, graphics, sounds, etc. Fair enough don't you think? I doubt most of the new generation has played the older Mario games, so they won't see it as the same thing over and over.

However, I agree, 10/10 is over doing it, can this game truly be perfect? I would only give something a 10/10 if it has very little to no flaws and it had something unique, or it was powerful like with story or atmosphere, I doubt MG2 has that.

Also, it's only the New Super Mario Brothers (pfft, stupid name) and Mario Galaxy 2 that can be called 'the same'.

Blue-State:
Great episode BUT....
What is it with all this dumping on the Simpsons lately? Not just Yahtzee but I've seen elsewhere on the internet as well; Simpsons is stagnating. It hasn't been good since the fifth season? they had barely established the character voices by then! It is hard for me to actually watch the old seasons because the animation is so crap and the sound quality is so terrible compared to what it is now. It's miles ahead of the competition: Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show. If you want to talk about degrading in quality, how about the last season of "That 70's Show"

well.. south park owns the simpsons by far. ^^ but the simpsons may have improved the quality of animation adn sound, but it seems like the writers for it have used all their ideas.. anyways we now have futurama back so i don't really care about how well the simpsons preform anymore.. : D

well sadly for mario, he as the main character in portal finds out that the cake is a lie at the end of every game.. : <

Sounded like he was hitting his knee or something. Say Yahtzee, have you had any musicians play at your bar? My friend who also runs Trash Video has a band up in Brisbane but they probably wouldn't be your sort of thing.

Heh, Homunculus. Reminds me of Buso Renkin.

wkrepelin:
Eh, not his funniest video but pretty good. It seems like he had some problems finding stuff to gripe aboud and ended up meandering a bit.

I was getting that impression too. He spent ages on the story.
Even Mario fans *cough*me*cough* know the story is stinking pile of poo, but that's not what I play they play it for, it's the fact that it's the only true platformer these days, and the level design is never short of excellent. In fact, I'm sure if you just did a model swap of mario and all the enemies, and paid some writers to put something down there, there'd be nothing to complain about at all. It's pretty much the Zenith of platforming.

The "cake" is a lie...

MissAshley:
Is "this" all I want from a Mario game?

Pretty much. If I wanted something else, I'd play something that's not a Mario game. :P

Nice video. I have to go satisfy this weird craving for cake now.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

If you honestly believe that a Mario game will be anything other than a Mario(Incase you weren't too sure) game, you're missing the point.
I'm willing to bet that 99% of people who buy this either:

a) Haven't bought one before, so have no frame of reference (therefore the idea isn't stagment to them)
b) Know what to expect from a Mario game, and don't expect anything overly new.

If you think otherwise, I don't know what lead you to that opinion. If you do, you don't have to buy this game. Buy something you will enjoy.

As for the review, I enjoyed it. It was funny, but I can't help but feel that most of his complaints were contrived. I understand that Yahtzee has to hate on the game, it is his job after all, but I wouldn't mind some more thought out critisisms.

I laughed when I saw the cake being censored :P

Sooo, that's why he doesn't talk about Portal 2...

Adamc-mh:
I laughed when I saw the cake being censored :P

i prefer how VG cats illustrated this - http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=247

anyways, the game was the same ol' same ol', the only thing that stopped me playing it was the fact when you saved.. it only registered what 4 lifes. rather than the 30 you just gained and saved. What's weirder is everytime you return to play it, you seem to get a mail from the princess who manages to give you.. first it was 5 extra lifes, i was on 15 on one letter before i stopped playing this....

awful game, yet strangely addictive in places... meh...

played better, played worse. you knew what this video was going to be though and the "jokes" he'd [yahtzee] use, he's getting very unoriginal and... a one trick pony. (in fact he's becoming worse than a series which has gone over 10 years)

Funny the first 10 videos, now it's just "oh right... yeah... uh huh". Not one british mention or analogy this time, maybe he finally got laid.. and has stopped dreaming of the queen.

Even the continuity is bad! It starts of with the same festival that happened in the first one, that happens every 100 years! If so, Mario should be dead! Then it would be o.k. to assume that the first one never happened. But then at the very end, the main "supporting character" from the first one pops up, thus making this game impossible!

XD I bet my former college classmate that used to work at nintendo is glad he quit now, so he wouldn't get blamed for this game. XD he said that when ever Yahtzee reviewed and butchered one of the games he and his co-workers made, they all died inside. XD

Great review, detailing the same frustrations I have of the Wii and all Mario games. Wake me up when Mario is either dead or no longer stale.

It was a lovely sentiment at the end of the video. Unusually compassionate. "Go out this weekend and do something different..."

i love how after so many episodes
Zero Punctuation never gets old...EVER

NEAT UND TIDY!

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that Mario has always been repetitive, but since Super Mario World was really the first game I ever played, I just kind of have a thing for it. I'll tell you one repetitive thing I do find more annoying than the Mario franchise though... Dragon Ball Z. I never got why they released almost ten exactly similar games after the first Budokai. What I'd really like to know is, who's actually enjoying them? Don't they get tired of the same stuff everytime? I don't even like DBZ and by now I know the entire roster...

I randomly tried that last one once... Unfortunately it turned out the cake was a lie... :(

I'm deeply sorry, I couldn't resist. (the 'joke' I mean...)

Funny as always. For the most part I agree as well.

I thought you were surprisingly civil at the end there. I can respect that.

"SUPER MARIO... UH... GALAXY???" XD

Used too like u but now.. Fuck UUU!!!! The Simpsons Is THE MEANING OF LIFE. Nothing above!!!
Otherwise nice review as always

Pretty good, although I think it's pretty pointless to criticize the plot in a Mario game. Mario games have never had a plot, and it's always been the same. Might as well skip that part.

Hey Yahtzee, have you heard that Nintendo is supposedly going to invent a NEW character for a series? How nuts is that? I'm guessing it will be Mario with a different colored hat.

Blue-State:
Great episode BUT....
What is it with all this dumping on the Simpsons lately? Not just Yahtzee but I've seen elsewhere on the internet as well; Simpsons is stagnating. It hasn't been good since the fifth season? they had barely established the character voices by then! It is hard for me to actually watch the old seasons because the animation is so crap and the sound quality is so terrible compared to what it is now. It's miles ahead of the competition: Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show. If you want to talk about degrading in quality, how about the last season of "That 70's Show"

I haven't noticed everybody dumping on it lately, but as a lifelong Simpsons fan, I can't say I disagree. For me it started a drastic decline around season 10-11. It completely fell off after season 13. Pretty soon after that I just stopped watching. There are a few hits here and there, but not enough to make it an overall good show anymore. Too many random guest stars, and everything feels very forced. The show stopped having actual plots and started devolving in to random chaos a-la Family Guy. It's been on forever, so it was bound to happen. Nothing stays great forever.

SMG2 has some of the best and most creative level design of any platformer I've ever played. Really.

Is the story a complex and intricately weaved tale of redemption and corruption in the Mushroom Kingdom? No, but when the sheer brilliance of the level design is there to make up for it, it ends up working. It's just fun as fuck.

Though I did lol at many points in the video, most especially the CLAPPING

Technically, NSMBW's 4 player thing does count as a mix up (that I didn't use and am not overtly missing). But he has a point about this one being more of the same. According to interviews (assuming you remotely believe the ass-covering tripe they spew) Galaxy 2 was going to be a down-priced expansion of sorts, but they came up with SO much new stuff putting it all in made it enough to count as a game on it's own. It's up to you if you really think it warranted full game treatment (or price) but it really is a bold faced continuation.

On his point about it being a sequel with no admission of continuity, so where the second and third SMB. In fact, so were all of them, they just stopped using numbers. I'd say treat it like the "lost levels" (SMB2), a tweaked rebuild of the original with a few new bits to challenge you, and be happy Nintendo didn't think it was so hard they ought to re-skin a different game.

And thus Nintendo completes its devious plot to drive Yahtzee so insane that he beats himself up, thereby punishing him for all the nasty, unkind things he's said about the company without having to worry about getting in trouble with the authorities.

It probably has something to do with the fact that it's the best 3d platformer ever made.

This review didnt make me lol D:

Thats like a first >.<

heheh... Status quo is the starch.
Brilliant.

I just realized that Yahtzee holds the Wii-mote in the wrong hand.

also I'm sure its been said already but I really dont want to read 400 posts.

The reason no one mentions Galaxy 1 is because that universe no longer exists....
Remember in the end where the universe imploded? All the Lumas created a new galaxy

"WELCOME NEW GALAXY!!!!!"

Thats why the star festival is still going on, and why no one references the first game *rolls eyes*

I thought that was a brilliant episode.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a cake with whipped cream on top waiting for me...

Mario was never about what's new, but about the quality of its levels and if they are just as fun or even more so than the old ones.

Actually haven't said this in a while, but good show. I thought you were getting rather stale as of late, but this really was a good review, and actually pretty acurate. I did get a good laugh out of the slapping part, too.

I swear im starting to become addicted to these videos, Yahtzee you are hilarious, best game critique ever! i loved the cake part too funny XD

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here