Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 NEXT

I've always looked at the 'kidnapping the princess' bit the same way that Popeye and Bluto go after Olive Oil, they can't really want her, but god, I better have her because this guy does.

"the cake is a lie!!!"

Man that was hilarious the slapping bit. And yeah, I don't like alot of what they did with SMG2 there really was a huge amount of repeated stuff :/ But like Yahtzee himself said, they've gone to space, where's he gonna go now? XD

The Simpsons hasn't been good since the fifth season? I'll readily admit that The Simpsons isn't as good as it used to be (though I think claimgs of its decline are usually exaggerated), but the fifth was the point it turned bad? I can understand saying it started being bad somewhere around season ten, but...the fifth?

Kinda feels like he was nitpicking, or he doesnt know what fun is either way this was kinda bad : / Sure i grinned at the slapping part but the rest wasnt funny.

I'm glad a lot of people are enjoying having their opinions reinforced - or just as likely their preconceived notions, since I suspect several folks here didn't play the game and are in fact proud of that - but it's not like SMG2 had a couple good reviews. The overwhelming majority of people who professionally reviewed it thought it was not just good, but among the best games of all time.

Generally speaking, once a piece of media - game, movie, music, book, whatever - reaches that level of acclaim, dissenters absolutely should feel free to explain why they don't like it, but just calling it crap and sitting there smugly as though you'd made a point isn't a valid position.

Plenty of people don't like Casablanca, but you've got to work a hell of a lot harder than Yahtzee is apparently willing to if you want to convince me that it's actually a bad film. His review amounted to "it's the same, it's very similar to previous games, it's unoriginal, and furthermore they haven't changed much. Also it's for kids and dumbed down and too easy."

The last bit just means he probably didn't actually play through that much of it (since the game actually gets really damned hard), and the idea that a product's similarity to previous products is enough to define its value is, for me, a hard sell.

Brilliant.

Shit. Now I have to go do something new this weekend.

"everything has to be neat und tidy!"

Oh God, I laughed so hard at that part. Wait, if Peach is giving her "cake" to Mario and Bowser, then what does that make her?

the cake is a lie

Blue-State:
Great episode BUT....
What is it with all this dumping on the Simpsons lately? Not just Yahtzee but I've seen elsewhere on the internet as well; Simpsons is stagnating. It hasn't been good since the fifth season? they had barely established the character voices by then! It is hard for me to actually watch the old seasons because the animation is so crap and the sound quality is so terrible compared to what it is now. It's miles ahead of the competition: Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show. If you want to talk about degrading in quality, how about the last season of "That 70's Show"

Wanna know whats really been stagnating yahtzee reviews. Mario is a comfort food you play it specifically to have more of the same. It's like that simpsons where a critic reviews john deer and rips on them for still being green, you knew what you were getting into when you played galaxy 2, same old story new levels. If you dont like that don't buy mario games.

Sorry but I had to get that out of the way. That's some good advice at the end: Go out and do something you've never done before. That applies to everyone, not just Mario fans.

Funny stuff and very true. I like the Bowie reference in the end credits.

I KNEW IT! Cake is a code for something! I was telling my mom when I bought the game. I told her "OK, this cake deal has to be a code for something. No one in the world would be so willing to get cake, so badly."

Also, I'll never know why the hell Mario never says '2' after Super Mario Galaxy .____." I was kind of expecting it, but it never came...

And I totally want to invite someone to eat 'cake' with me, but I'm terrible at social interactions... Maybe that's why I'm a Wiitard XD

I, in fact, didn't play Super Galaxy et Mario the First. I have a Wii. I won't be playing Bland Galaxy et Cake the Second, either. I've seen those "interview" advertisements, in which the only changes mentioned is that now you can dig into a hollow planet and ride Yoshi.

BUT!

Outside of combat, Yoshi is only used for one thing: To get to someplace that would be unreachable without her (or a really messed-up egg-laying him). That could be by flying... or jumping off of her back at the ark of her high jump. Or by turning an enemy into a moving platform with her stomach juices. Burping and creating an air-bubble to breath in would be great, but Mario apparently doesn't breathe.

---

Some idiot above this post said that Mario was meant to be taken as "comfort food", as in, something that you just play to take up the time and feel good about. But that wasn't true even back in the NES days. Some parts of... I'm sure... even this game are controller-breakingly frustrating.

I've played and actually liked Super Mario Sunshine. For all of you star collectors out there: The pinball challenge thing. Tell me THAT'S comfort food...

---

I laughed pretty guiltily at the face-slapping joke. I say guiltily because I knew from the very instant he started that it was self-indulgent. Yahtzee should not have reviewed this game.. or he should've reviewed it like he did with the New Super Mario Bros Wii: In tandem with a similar copy/paste.

The only thing in this review that I couldn't already guess is that it was near the exact same story. What a dick move on Nintendo's part. It would be as if Bioshock 2 was about the same guy who sinks a boat near the lighthouse three years later to aid someone named Gaea Map against Fontaine (who turns out to have survived)... and Gaea turns out to be Andrew Ryan.

Thppppt.

Now I want cake. Unfortunately it's not going to be "cake."

I'm sorry but if you don't at least think seasons 6, 7 and 8 of the simpsons are good then well...I've lost some respect. Even season 9 had the amazing New York episode.

nice David bowie reference at the end. "There's a Starmaaan waiting in the sky; he'd like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blow our minds..."

lwm3398:
Is that the whole plot of every Mario game? Cake? I never noticed that, I always thought it was just some random party...

This makes me look at the Mario series in a whole new way...

I've pointed out before that basically everytime bowser kidnaps Peach he has a new kid or clutch of kids. Nobody seems to put 2 and 2 together :P.

I think when I said that the more I tried to play any Mario past Super Nintendo they were listening and remade it for the Wii.. now I wish I could take it back. More and more I only find myself only enjoying the 8-Bit Mario games. And more of that gets plundered with each new title. I.. I hate Nintendo now :(

Ah, but he wasn't really slapping his face. No, I agree the sound effects were real. The bit about the moth and the caterpillar is something I read in a book, but I can't remember which one - was it Scott Sigler? I really can't remember.

I suppose I'll be skipping this one. Perhaps I'll DL something off VC instead. In any case, the cake joke, while funny, certainly wasn't the first.
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=247
Granted, there were probably ones before that, and people have probably already commented about this, so I suppose I'll have to say something else as well so as to waste text.

The reason Ninty's treating us like idiots is probably because they don't want some legitimate idiot to toast his disc and sue them for ruining his toaster on account of them not specifying what to put the game in.

Soooo the cake is a lie?

Everyone who says the cake is a lie in this thread should be banned!

Oh crud... I just said it too. Am I so much better than they are?

I liked the review, but I have to quibble that New Super Mario Bros Wii stagnated. It did bring in four player multiplayer, which is something that no Mario platformer has had before. SMG2 is probably more of the same, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, since the first game was pretty rad.

beema:
Pretty good, although I think it's pretty pointless to criticize the plot in a Mario game. Mario games have never had a plot, and it's always been the same. Might as well skip that part.

Hey Yahtzee, have you heard that Nintendo is supposedly going to invent a NEW character for a series? How nuts is that? I'm guessing it will be Mario with a different colored hat.

Blue-State:
Great episode BUT....
What is it with all this dumping on the Simpsons lately? Not just Yahtzee but I've seen elsewhere on the internet as well; Simpsons is stagnating. It hasn't been good since the fifth season? they had barely established the character voices by then! It is hard for me to actually watch the old seasons because the animation is so crap and the sound quality is so terrible compared to what it is now. It's miles ahead of the competition: Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show. If you want to talk about degrading in quality, how about the last season of "That 70's Show"

I haven't noticed everybody dumping on it lately, but as a lifelong Simpsons fan, I can't say I disagree. For me it started a drastic decline around season 10-11. It completely fell off after season 13. Pretty soon after that I just stopped watching. There are a few hits here and there, but not enough to make it an overall good show anymore. Too many random guest stars, and everything feels very forced. The show stopped having actual plots and started devolving in to random chaos a-la Family Guy. It's been on forever, so it was bound to happen. Nothing stays great forever.

Couldn't agree more. I personally think the show lost its charm at the 10th season. I own season's 1-9 and never intend on buying another.
I hate how it try's to cater to the family guy generation.
Just became slap stick comedy after a while, the complete opposite of what it started out as.
Personally cant stand the show now.
I'm glad someone agrees though. Thankfully there are still some intelligent people out there.

I think this is the first genuinely really funny review feom Zero Punctuation in a long time, well done I hope this is the first of many that I'd consider back to form. Though I'm sure many people would disagree with me.

qeinar:

Blue-State:
Great episode BUT....

well.. south park owns the simpsons by far. ^^ but the simpsons may have improved the quality of animation adn sound, but it seems like the writers for it have used all their ideas.. anyways we now have futurama back so i don't really care about how well the simpsons preform anymore.. : D

I dunno man, this season of Southpark has been pretty "MEH" so far.
I'm glad Futurama is back though.

"Would you like a slice of delicious cake?"

Oh wow, griping on Nintendo's lack of creativity again Yahtzee. How clever and original.

Also, The Simpsons was good til the 10th season, IMO.

EDIT: Holy crap, people actually share the view that The Simpsons started stagnating at Season 10! (No sarcasm here, it's just odd to find a group of people who can agree on when the show turned sour.)

I do have to say that The slaping bit was Brilliant (at the 3rd Slap it became exelent). And the Final "Cake" Made the episode.

I'm going to have to recoil in horror every time my mum asks if I want cake for supper.

:(

I get the homunculus reference. I've played Shadow of Memories/Destiny too.

anyone got some.... "cake"

hey... wanna go get some cake?

the slapping bit was hilarious!

great review, best one in a while in my opinion

Oh joy. Nintendo has finally hit the epitome of redundancy.

(And here I am looking for an MMO that isn't absolute BS.. but for the sake of this video, though I do not own the Wii console, let alone either of these games, I'll go ahead and run off to get drunk somewhere, and if I'm lucky, some shithead will deserve some broken glass in his eyes.)

omg Yahtzee watches FMA! lol

eh, might play this. still havent got a wii tho dont care for the thing

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook